Sparks Part I

Like the Lotus: The Next Generation

As Mee-Yon prepared to leave for the dance, her aunt Ga Eul and Eun-Jeong arrived. Eun-Jeong rushed to Mee-Yon and gave her a hug, proclaiming that she looked beautiful. Ga Eul squealed over Mee-Yon and asked to take a few pictures, to which Mee-Yon agreed. And Ga Eul snapped off a bunch of Mee-Yon alone—in various poses—and then a few of her standing with Park Jung-Ho.

And then Ga Eul and Jan Di went to the living room to chat. Jung-Ho was currently in the kitchen talking with Mee-Yon's appa. She hoped Appa was being nice…


"Oh, I'm nervous… I don't know why!" Mee-Yon exclaimed, once alone with Eun-Jeong.

Eun-Jeong smiled, "You'll be fine, Mee-Yon-ah. You're going to have a great time!" and she embraced her best friend.

"Thank you, Eun-Jeong-ah…but…oh, I wish you were going with me!" Mee-Yon put a finger to her chin, "Hm, I bet my oppa would take you to the dance!"

"Ehh?!"

"Sure, you know, as a friend."

Seok-Young had chosen that very moment to walk into the room, and he and Eun-Jeong's eyes met. Seok-Young was clearly caught off-guard by what he'd overheard.

Of course…, Eun-Jeong groaned inwardly.

"Oppa!" Mee-Yon shouted to Seok-Young, "Come in here!" she waved her hands vibrantly, beckoning Seok-Young to come.

"That's OK, really, Mee-Yon-ah," Eun-Jeong spoke in a low tone, shaking her head at Mee-Yon and pleading with her eyes.

But Mee-Yon didn't listen. "It's OK, Eun-Jeong-ah. I bet he'll do it for you! And Oppa's a good dancer, too! Appa taught him everything he knows."

Eun-Jeong sighed. So, he's a good dancer, too… Is there anything he can't do…?


Seok-Young had since sauntered into the room, hands in pockets. He glanced to Eun-Jeong and gave her a short bow before turning to Mee-Yon. "Yes, Mee-Yon-ah, what is it?"

"Oppa, I have a favor to ask of you. Would you be willing to Eun-Jeong to the dance tonight so we can all go together? Please?" Mee-Yon clasped her hands together and stared at him with large, hopeful eyes.

Eun-Jeong wanted to crawl into a hole and die…

Seok-Young put a hand on his neck and rubbed. "Well…I was supposed to have a music lesson tonight, but…," he looked to Eun-Jeong—studying her for a moment—trying to determine what was going through her head.

Eun-Jeong quickly looked away.

Sure, she'd dreamed of going out with Seok-Young, but she certainly did not want their first date to be a pity invite—as a result of begging from his litter sister…

Their first date… Eun-Jeong scoffed inwardly. As if there would be more… Or even one…

A date with Seok-Young, yeah dream on, So Eun-Jeong…

She didn't even know if he liked her in that way... She'd thought that maybe, perhaps he did… After all, Yeong-Hui had insisted that Seok-Young was flirting with her… But, it must have been all in her head… Because with the way he was currently acting—awkward, with the slightest hint of panic in his eyes—it was clear that he did not want to take her to the dance, and he was just entertaining the notion to be nice…

Eun-Jeong knew that Mee-Yon had good intentions, but she felt utterly humiliated.

"Oh, come on, Oppa! You don't need any more lessons! You could probably teach the instructor a thing or two!" Mee-Yon laughed and continued with her begging.

Eun-Jeong couldn't even look at Seok-Young, but then she heard him speak.

"Well, I suppose I could reschedule my lesson… OK, yeah, sure," he nodded decisively and looked to Eun-Jeong—who was still looking away.

Seok-Young cleared his throat. "Would you…like to go to the dance with me, Eun-Jeong-ah?" he stuffed his hands into the pockets of his slacks.

Eun-Jeong turned to Seok-Young, a look of surprise etched upon her porcelain face. Mee-Yon was beaming beside her.

He only offered to be nice…, Eun-Jeong thought dismally.


"No, thanks," Eun-Jeong blurted out.

And the shock was evident upon Seok-Young's face. He almost looked hurt—rejected—actually… No, surely she must be imagining it…

"I'm sorry, Mee-Yon-ah, but I'm just not really interested in going to the dance...," Eun-Jeong explained.

Mee-Yon nodded, slightly defeated. "Oh, OK…"

"But have a great time!" she hugged Mee-Yon again.

Then, Eun-Jeong turned and looked into Seok-Young's warm, chocolate eyes. He seemed to be questioning her with those eyes, and they were so lovely that she was beginning to falter. She needed to get away, right now.

"Thank you, Oppa, for the kind invitation," Eun-Jeong said formally. Seok-Young gave a wordless nod. She bowed to him and quickly rushed out of the room.

Mee-Yon looked after Eun-Jeong curiously. Seok-Young also watched Eun-Jeong walk away briefly before touching Mee-Yon on the arm. "Have a good time, Little One," he said, and then he walked off sullenly, in the other direction.


Ga Eul and Jan Di sat on the couch having tea and chatting.

"I can't believe that Mee-Yon is dating…," Jan Di spoke, in a tone as bittersweet as dark chocolate.

Ga Eul smiled. "How did Ji Hoo Sunbae take it?"

"Oh, not well! You know about me having to talk him into it… And tonight he made her cry…," Jan Di replied.

"What?"

"Well, he told her she couldn't wear the dress we picked out…"

"Ahh," Ga Eul nodded.

"And he and Woo Bin Sunbae tried to shake down the boy and strike fear into his heart..."

"You're kidding!"

Jan Di shook her head.

"Wow..." Ga Eul uttered.

"Yeah…"

"But I talked to Ji Hoo, and he changed his mind and apologized to Mee-Yon."

"Oh, good," Ga Eul replied.

Jan Di sighed and clapped her hands together. "So, any boys in the picture for Eun-Jeong or Yeong-Hui yet?"

Ga Eul stared into her teacup, a small smile playing upon her lips. She didn't want to lie to her best friend, but she also couldn't reveal her daughter's secret—and certainly not to the mother of the boy she liked. "Well, neither of them is dating, but I think the time for crushes has arrived…," Ga Eul said. It seemed like a safe response.

"Ooo, really?" Jan Di's eyes sparkled with curiosity.

Ga Eul simply nodded and took a sip of her tea.

"Hmm, I wonder how Yi Jeong Sunbae will deal with that…," Jan Di mused.

Ga Eul laughed out loud. "Oh, he's become aware that his daughters are starting to like boys, and he pretty much reacted the same as Ji Hoo."

Jan Di shook her head. "Aigoo! What are we going to do with these husbands of ours?!"

Ga Eul grinned, and the two shook their heads in unison.

But Ga Eul couldn't resist probing a little for information. "So, what about Seok-Young, Jan Di-yah? He's a handsome boy. Any girlfriends or girls he's interested in?" Ga Eul raised a brow.

Jan Di pursed her lips and exhaled. "Well, he doesn't have a girlfriend. At least not that I know of anyway," Jan Di gave a little chuckle. She knew her son well, but sometimes even she wasn't quite sure what was going on in that head of his. "Girls certainly like him, but our Seok-Young can be a little mysterious and a bit antisocial at times, like his father… So, it's tough to say if he likes someone… But then again…," Jan Di put a finger to her chin, "…he's been quieter than usual lately, and Ji Hoo did have a man-to-man talk with him a couple weeks ago... Ji Hoo didn't give me all the details, but from the sound of it, it's quite possible that Seok-Young likes someone…"

Ga Eul nodded. She wondered if this girl was Eun-Jeong or someone else…

Just then, Eun-Jeong walked into the room.


Ji Hoo exited the kitchen with Park Jung-Ho and gave him a clap on the back. Jung-Ho suggested to Mee-Yon that they go now. Mee-Yon agreed but asked for just a moment. Jung-Ho nodded and walked ahead toward the door to get their jackets.

Mee-Yon turned to Ji Hoo. He placed a hand upon her arm.

"So, what do you really think of Park Jung-Ho, Appa?" Mee-Yon asked.

Ji Hoo hemmed and hawed, "Well…" Mee-Yon was gazing upon him with eager, sparkling eyes. Ji Hoo was always reduced to a soft, gooey substance by that particular look from his daughter.

"…He seems like a nice young man, Mee-Yon-ah," Ji Hoo finally said, and they exchanged a tender look. "Have a good time, sweetheart," Ji Hoo said.

Mee-Yon smiled and thanked her appa. She rose up on her toes to kiss him on the cheek, and then she bid Ji Hoo goodnight before going to Jung-Ho. Jung-Ho draped Mee-Yon's jacket over her shoulders. Ji Hoo sighed, as he watched Mee-Yon walk out the door.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo watched Mee-Yon being led off by Park Jung-Ho. Jan Di hugged Ji Hoo tight around his waist. "Don't worry, my love. She'll be fine. And Secretary Park will be driving her and will be on-call. You know, the man who would take a bullet for any member of this family… Mee-Yon will definitely be safe…"

Ji Hoo nodded and kissed Jan Di on the top of her head. "I just can't believe how fast she's grown up…"

"I know, Ji Hoo-yah, I know…"


A little later that night…

Seok-Young had been brooding ever since he left for his music lesson. Why had Eun-Jeong turned down his offer to go to the dance? He hadn't wanted to go to the dance, but he would have enjoyed being with her… Didn't she want to spend time with him, too? Maybe he'd misinterpreted all of her signs…

"Young Master," Seok-Young's driver spoke.

"Yes?"

"Your lesson has been cancelled. Your instructor is ill."

"Oh, is he OK?"

"Yes. But where shall I take you now, sir?"

"I guess just back home. Thank you."

"Yes, sir."


Meanwhile…

Ji Hoo was pacing back and forth across the living room, sighing now and again.

"Ji Hoo-yah, what are you doing?" Jan Di asked, looking up from her medical journal.

Ji Hoo gave a sharp exhale. "I'm just worried…," he glanced at his watch.

"Already? What are you worried about?"

"Ohh, you name it, Jan Di-yah! What every father worries about… What if that boy tries something with our Mee-Yon?"

Ji Hoo was sure that he could hear his emergency bell.

"It'll be OK, Ji Hoo-yah. Mee-Yon is a good girl. And Park Jung-Ho won't try anything, I'm sure. He'd have to have a death wish after tonight... He'd have the four most powerful families in South Korea after him if he hurts Mee-Yon…"

Ji Hoo sighed, "I guess you're right."

Jan Di was lying on the couch with her legs propped up. She sat up. "So, come here and join me. Maybe I can take your mind off it…?" she patted the spot next to her on the couch and gave him a suggestive smile.

"Hm?" Ji Hoo uttered, clearly distracted.

"You realize that there's no one home except us, don't you…? How often does that happen?" Jan Di raised a brow.

The realization seemed to finally dawn upon Ji Hoo, and he went to Jan Di. He sat beside her and wrapped his arms around her waist, "You're right…what was I thinking…?" he spoke in a seductive whisper. He pulled her in and nuzzled noses with her. Then, he pressed his lips firmly to hers.

Jan Di pulled back. She looked at him with a playful gleam in her eye. "I don't know, but took you long enough," she smirked, "Honestly, Ji Hoo-yah, I thought I was going to have to spell it out for you! You were being a little bit dense…"

"Oh, I was, was I?" he raised a brow and made a move toward her, but she slipped away. Ji Hoo lunged for her and tried to grasp her hand, but she evaded him. Jan Di gave a little squeal and took off toward the other end of the couch, using it for a blockade.

"You'll never catch me…," she playfully taunted, as she clutched onto the back of the couch.

"I will. I will catch you," Ji Hoo assured, "And when I do, you're in trouble!" he grinned.

Ji Hoo gave chase and pursued Jan Di around the couch. She ran to one side—he followed—and then she ran to the other. He tried to cut her off, but she took off in the other direction. Ji Hoo pulled a maneuver and caught her by the wrist, but she wriggled free. Finally, Ji Hoo leaped over the couch, cutting her off in the middle. Jan Di shrieked in surprise, as he captured her in his arms.

"See…, I told you I'd catch you…," he whispered, as he slowly lowered his lips toward hers.

But Jan Di could not let him win so easily, so she turned her head. Ji Hoo pretended to be hurt. And suddenly, he lifted her effortlessly and tossed her over his shoulder.

"Ji Hoo! What are you doing?! Put me down!" she pretended to resist, though truthfully she didn't mind one bit.

"Stop struggling and accept your punishment, my dear," Ji Hoo chuckled and began to carry her off toward the bedroom.

Jan Di giggled, "Ya! Where are you taking me?" she continued with her mock escape attempts.

"I already told you, my otter, I'm going to punish you for what you said…"


Just then, Seok-Young entered the house. "I'm home…," he called out in a dull tone. He wandered into the living room, only to see his eomma slung over his appa's shoulder. Seok-Young stared, dumbfounded for a moment.

Ji Hoo turned to face Seok-Young, while Jan Di awkwardly dangled there. "Oh, Seok-Y!" Jan Di gave a nervous laugh and waved at him.

Seok-Young raised a brow and folded his arms. "What are you guys doing?"

"Nothing, Seok-Y!" Jan Di stammered, doing her best to hide the creeping blush from her son. Ji Hoo put Jan Di down, and she straightened out her shirt.

"Oh. You're home early, Son," Ji Hoo simply said, unable to hide his disappointment.

"You don't seem happy to see me, Appa…," Seok-Young joked.

He immediately regretted his comment and prepared for a lecture from his father for being disrespectful. Sometimes he did have a smart mouth, he conceded. He was usually just joking around—and his parents didn't usually give him too hard a time about it—but the tone to his comment just now had been blatantly sarcastic. He attributed it to his current bad mood.

But instead, Ji Hoo chose to ignore it. "I'm very happy to see you, Son. I always am. …But why don't you go out for a little while longer..." Ji Hoo went for his wallet and pulled out a bundle of cash and handed it to Seok-Young.

Seok-Young stared at the bills in his hand. Message received, Appa…

He thumbed through them. "Um, Appa, do you realize how much won you just gave me?"

"It's fine, Son. Just bring me some change."

"How much change, Appa?"

"It doesn't matter."

Seok-Young shrugged, "OK… Thanks, Appa…"

Carry on, you two… Seok-Young shuddered lightly, after turning away.

But before he could leave, Jan Di called out for Seok-Young. "What's wrong, Seok-Y?" she asked. Jan Di had noticed something right away. She didn't have an emergency bell exactly, but call it mother's intuition…

Ji Hoo sighed, realizing that Jan Di was now in mother mode, rather than wife mode...

Seok-Young turned back to look at Jan Di over his shoulder. "Nothing, Eomma. I'm fine," he put on a smile. Jan Di still looked concerned. "Really…," Seok-Young assured, "…I'm going to go out for a bit. You and Appa should have your alone time."

"Wait, Seok-Y!" Jan Di called out. But he had already gone. Jan Di looked to Ji Hoo with a guilty expression.


Secretary Park dropped Mee-Yon and Jung-Ho off at the dance. "Call me when you're ready to leave, Miss," he said. Mee-Yon nodded and bowed to Secretary Park. And the two headed inside.

Jung-Ho put an arm around Mee-Yon's shoulder—she felt her cheeks grow warm—as he led her toward the gymnasium. The sound of voices and music permeated the walls. They paused inside the doorway, while Mee-Yon looked all around the elegantly decorated room.

"Wow, the gym looks really pretty, doesn't it?" Mee-Yon gazed upon it, starry-eyed. It reminded her of the Father-Daughter Dance she'd gone to with her appa years ago. Only now, she wasn't here with her appa, but with a boy…a boy she liked, who also liked her…

Jung-Ho nodded. "Yes, it does."

"Shall we go in, Sunbae?" Mee-Yon suggested, barely able to contain her excitement.

"In a minute," he replied.

"What?"

All of a sudden, Jung-Ho grasped Mee-Yon's wrist and pulled her back into the hallway. He pulled her into a corner.

"S-sunbae, what are you doing?"

"I just wanted a moment alone with you before we go in...," he said, as he leaned in closer to her. Mee-Yon backed up until she was against the wall.

"Alone…wh-why?" she stammered.

"You're so beautiful, Mee-Yon…," was all he said.

Mee-Yon glanced away, blushing madly. "G-gomawo, Sunbae…"

Jung-Ho leaned in ever closer, placing one hand against the wall and trapping her with his body. His lips approached hers. Mee-Yon held up her hands. "Wait, Sunbae…"

"What is it? Don't you like me, Yoon Mee-Yon?"

"I…do, but…I don't think…I'm ready…to…I've never…k-kissed a boy before…"

"Don't worry. Kissing is easy… I'll show you…," he began to lean in again, and Mee-Yon turned away.

"No," Mee-Yon stated firmly, "I'm sorry, Sunbae, but I'm just not ready for that."

Jung-Ho scoffed. "Come on, it's no big deal…it's just a kiss…"

He ran the back of his hand along Mee-Yon's cheek and down her neck. "Ya, stop!" She grasped his hand and removed it. "I said no!" she exclaimed, while gripping his larger wrist with her much smaller hand.

Jung-Ho chuckled. "I like that you're a little feisty, too…"


"She said NO!" a voice from behind came. They both turned in unison to see Gu Jun-Seo standing a few meters away.

Jung-Ho scoffed. "Oh, it's you? Get lost, Kid...," Jung-Ho turned back to Mee-Yon, who was holding him at bay with her hands.

Jun-Seo closed the distance between them and grabbed Jung-Ho by the arm and pulled him back. Jung-Ho released an exasperated sigh and turned to face Jun-Seo. Jung-Ho stood slightly taller than the Gu boy.

"Kid?! Who do you think you're talking to, huh? Who do you think owns this school? Show a little respect. Are you a babo or something?" Jun-Seo cocked a brow.

"Ya!" Jung-Ho approached Jun-Seo aggressively.

"Don't you touch me…," Jun-Seo snarled, just prior to Jung-Ho taking hold of his collar.

"Mind your own business!"

"This IS my business. She's my noona…"

Mee-Yon looked to Jun-Seo with newfound appreciation.

"And you…Park Jung-Ho…you must be the biggest idiot on the planet to mess with Mee-Yon like this!"

"Why you…," Jung-Ho seethed.

Jun-Seo scoffed. "…You know who her father is…and you know who my father is, right? Oh, and have you met our uncle, Song Woo Bin?"

"Yes, we've met...," Jung-Ho said through gritted teeth, recalling his harrowing experience with Song Woo Bin.

Jung-Ho released Jun-Seo's collar, and Jun-Seo adjusted it. "Well, you know his reputation, right? Her appa, my appa, and Uncle Woo Bin love Yoon Mee-Yon very, very much… What do you think they would do to someone who hurt her…?" Jun-Seo spoke low and menacing.

"Don't you threaten me…," Jung-Ho growled, "My family is just as powerful. We have money, too."

"Power is not all about money… It's about reputation, influence, people you know… We know a lot of people…a lot of important people, and even some who are a little bit…dangerous…," Jun-Seo gave an almost sinister smile, noticing that he'd struck a chord with Park Jung-Ho.

Park Jung-Ho stepped back. "Whatever! She's just an immature little girl anyway!" Jung-Ho shot a glance to Mee-Yon. She looked away—fighting back tears—and clenched her fists tightly at her sides.

"Get out of here! And don't ever come near my noona again!" Jun-Seo shouted, as Jung-Ho moved speedily through the corridor.

"Jackass…," Jun Seo muttered, as he watched Jung-Ho rush off. Then, he went to Mee-Yon.

"Are you alright, Noona?" he asked in an almost gentle voice—one completely unlike him. "Did he hurt you? If he did, I'll kill him…"

Mee-Yon shook her head. "No, he didn't. I'm OK…"

Jun-Seo nodded. "Good."

"Gu Jun Seo…," Mee-Yon stared at him with slightly moistened eyes.

"What?"

"You stood up for me…," Mee-Yon muttered.

Jun-Seo shrugged. "Well, it needed to be done, and since your oppa wasn't here…the job fell to me…"

Mee-Yon let out a laugh-cry. "Gomawo… But you make the family sound like a bunch of vengeful thugs…"

Jun-Seo scoffed. "Well, I was just trying to scare him a little… But it's not far off the mark, really. You do have a lot of powerful people who care about you, Noona."

Mee-Yon smiled faintly. "Including you, Jun-Seo?"

"Psshh, well, I am powerful, yes, but I wasn't talking about me…," he glanced away.

Mee-Yon chuckled, "I got it…," she paused and looked to Jun-Seo tenderly, "Gomawo again, Jun Seo…"

Jun-Seo waved her off with a hand.

"That was very brave of you… After all, he's older, taller, and stronger…"

"Psshh, he's only maybe a couple of centimeters taller, and he's definitely not stronger…"

Mee-Yon shook her head. "Well, anyway, you were very forceful, Jun-Seo…and you…cursed…," she said in surprise.

"Yea…don't tell my eomma…"

Mee-Yon laughed. "OK, I won't."

They both turned and began walking together down the hall.

"What were you doing here anyway, Jun-Seo?"

"Oh, I had a lab to make up."

Mee-Yon nodded. They passed by the gymnasium. Suddenly, Mee-Yon began to sniffle. And then the sniffle turned into a small cry.

"What…what is it? What's wrong, Noona?" Jun-Seo asked helplessly.

"Well…well…," she sniffled, gulping for air, "…I liked him…"

Jun-Seo exhaled, puffing out his cheeks. "He was a jerk," Jun-Seo said directly, "And my noona deserves much better than that." He wiped away one of her tears.

Mee-Yon stared at Jun-Seo in utter shock. "Jun-Seo…"

"You'll find someone much better…it's not like you're ugly or anything…In fact, you're kind of…pretty…," Jun-Seo commented, glancing away and shoving his hands into the pockets of his dark slacks.

The corners of Mee-Yon's rosy lips curved upward. "You think I'm pretty, Jun-Seo?" she raised a brow.

He rolled his eyes. "I said kind of!"

"OK, OK…I'll take it," Mee-Yon gave a little giggle.

"Feeling better now?" Jun-Seo smirked.

She nodded, "A little, gomawo…," but a sad smile crossed her lips. She cast her eyes downward.

"Oh, what now, Noona?"

"…Well, it's just that…I didn't even…get to dance…"

Jun-Seo sighed and grasped onto Mee-Yon's wrist. "OK, come on…"

"Where are we going?"

"You wanted to dance, so let's go dance…," Jun-Seo muttered.

"But Jun-Seo…this is a high school dance…neither of us is in high school…"

"So? What are they gonna do, kick us out? My dad owns the school."

"Ah, yes of course…"

Jun Seo dragged Mee-Yon along, her heels clacking loudly against the flooring.

"…But Jun-Seo, do you even know how to dance?"

He scoffed, "Of course I do… Do you?" he turned to her and raised a brow.

"Of course! My appa taught me," she stated proudly.

"Then, let's go…," he replied.


Seok-Young rang the bell at the front door of Woo Bin's estate. Song Woo Bin lived the closest to the Yoon household. Woo Bin's butler answered and took the boy to Woo Bin.

"What brings you here, Kid?" Woo Bin asked, as he lounged on the couch.

"My appa kicked me out…," Seok-Young muttered.

"What?!"

"Well, just for a little while. Actually, I chose to leave. He and Eomma were…preoccupied…"

"Ahh, that sly fox… Good to know things are still cooking over there after all these years…," Woo Bin chuckled.

"Please, Uncle Woo Bin… I beg of you, say no more!" Seok-Young exclaimed.

Woo Bin laughed. He stood and clapped Seok-Young on the back. And then he ushered Seok-Young into his man-cave.

Woo Bin and Seok-Young sparred for a bit, shot some pool, and then they sat down for a heart-to-heart talk, just man-to-man… Seok-Young had been having an inordinate amount of those lately, it seemed…


Woo Bin's butler offered Woo Bin a drink and Seok-Young a non-alcoholic drink.

The two sat there with their glasses, taking a sip here and there... After what seemed like an interminable silence, Seok-Young finally spoke. "So, what's the secret to women, Uncle Woo Bin?"

His appa's advice about expressing his feelings had been good, but Seok-Young figured he could use all the help he could get… It didn't hurt to get another perspective, after all… And Uncle Woo Bin was a world-renowned ladies' man—the famous Don Juan of F4—so who better to ask?

The question surprised Woo Bin a bit. "The secret?" he chuckled.

"Yes, are they always so…unpredictable?" Seok-Young mumbled.

Woo Bin gave a short laugh. "Well, they can be very unpredictable and also very predictable…"

Well, that's not confusing at all, Uncle Woo Bin…

Sensing Seok-Young's distress, Woo Bin proceeded to impart his wisdom about the Yoon boy…


After what seemed liked forever—who knew Song Woo Bin had so much knowledge of the female mind—Woo Bin instructed Seok-Young to pay close attention.

Ji-Hye had just entered the basement. "Come here, Baby… Could I borrow you for a moment?" Woo Bin caught her by the hand.

"Now, watch closely, Yoon Seok-Young… I'm going to teach you something. This is called the 5-Step Kill. You could call it an F4 family secret…"

"You're going to show him what?!" Ji-Hye stammered.

Woo Bin gave his wife a disarming grin. "It's OK, Baby. He's a man now." Ji-Hye gaped at Woo Bin.

Woo Bin turned back to Seok-Young. "Now, I warn you, Seok-Young, use this with discretion… It's a very powerful move—not one for amateurs—and it never fails…

"One," Woo Bin said, as he s his arm around Ji-Hye's waist and pulled her close. "Two," he ran two fingers along the ridge of her nose. "Three," he whispered in her ear. "Four," he dipped her back. "And five," he leaned down to press a kiss to her lips.

Wow…, Seok-Young thought.

Woo Bin returned Ji-Hye to standing. She gave him a light smack on the arm. "What in the world, Song Woo Bin?! That was totally inappropriate!"

Woo Bin chuckled. "Thanks for your assistance, Baby."

Ji-Hye groaned and turned to Seok-Young. "I'm sorry for your uncle's behavior, Seok-Young…"

"It's OK, Aunt Ji-Hye," he laughed.


Later that evening…

Seok-Young returned home. Mee-Yon was back and in her pajamas. "How was the dance, Mee-Yon-ah?" he asked.

"Good, Oppa, really good," she said, with a smile. Mee-Yon had decided not to tell anyone about the incident with Jung-Ho. It would only make them upset. And she didn't want to make a big deal of it since nothing actually happened. She just wanted to forget all about it.

But Seok-Young wasn't buying it. "What's wrong, Mee-Yon-ah?" he asked, concerned.

"Nothing, Oppa, but…it didn't work out with Park Jung-Ho Sunbae…"

"What happened?" Seok-Young demanded.

"Nothing, Oppa. I just found out that...we don't have much in common…"

Seok-Young tightened his jaw. "I'm sorry, Little One…come here…," and he pulled Mee-Yon in for a warm, brotherly embrace before bidding her goodnight.


A week later…

Seok-Young noticed that there was one day a year that his eomma was always very sad. Appa would be extra sensitive of her on that day, and sometimes he even took her away for the day, just the two of them.

Today was that day…

Seok-Young greeted Jan Di brightly that morning, and she gave him a halfhearted smile in return. He wanted to ask what was wrong, but he didn't want to put her on the spot or make her feel even sadder. He'd noticed it every year for as long as he could remember, even when he was young.

Eomma had always called him her little firefighter because he could always sense when she was sad—as if hearing a fire alarm—and he would go to her and comfort her. And his alarm was going off yet again on this day. Unable to stand it any longer, Seok-Young finally decided to ask Appa about it.

Seok-Young approached Ji Hoo…

"Well, Son, you see…," Ji Hoo sighed, "On this day, 17 years ago, your eomma miscarried. It would have been our first child…."

Seok-Young looked down at his feet and nodded sadly. "I see, Appa," he studied his hands.

"It was very hard on her...on both of us…but we got through it…" Ji Hoo turned to Seok-Young. "And then we had you…and you made us so very happy… We had never loved something so much…"

Seok-Young smiled faintly, but he was still very concerned. "What can we do to help Eomma, Appa?"

Ji Hoo gave Seok-Young a faint smile and placed a hand upon his shoulder. "Just show her how much you love her, Son… That's all we can do really, just love and support her, while she copes with it… But, don't worry, Son. Your eomma is a very strong person…the strongest I've ever known…"


Jan Di was in the kitchen, up on her tiptoes, reaching for a glass.

"Let me get that Eomma!" Seok-Young swooped in. He quickly grabbed the glass for her.

"Oh, thank you, Seok-Y," Jan Di smiled, "Oh, I shouldn't call you that anymore…," she shook her head at herself.

"No, it's OK, Eomma. I'll always be Seok-Y. But just for you…," he smiled widely at her, and she returned with an appreciative one of her own.

"Sit down, Eomma," Seok-Young directed Jan Di to a stool at the kitchen island. "What did you want to drink, Eomma?" Seok-Young asked.

"Just water."

Seok-Young poured a glass of ice water for Jan Di and brought it to her. "Gomawo, Seok-Y. You're such a good boy…"

Seok-Young sat down with Jan Di. He clasped his hands in front of him. Jan Di noticed that he was watching her closely, as she brought the glass to her lips. She took a drink and set the glass down. "Your father told you, didn't he?"

"Told me what, Eomma?" Seok-Young wore an awkward smile.

Jan Di smirked. "You don't lie well, my son. You're like Eomma in that respect."

Seok-Young exhaled and stared down at his clasped hands. "Yes, Eomma… Appa told me about it…"

Jan Di nodded. She sniffled and quickly wiped away a tear with the back of her sleeve.

"Oh, please don't be sad, Eomma…," Seok-Young begged. She noticed that his eyes were slightly moistened, too.

Seok-Yong was a stoic boy, but very loving. He sometimes appeared aloof on the outside, but Jan Di knew that he was actually very soft inside.

Jan Di put on a strong smile. "It's OK, my boy. I'm OK. I have your father, and I have two wonderful sons," she patted Seok-Young lightly on the cheek, "And a wonderful daughter, so Eomma is very happy… Oh, and you know that your brother is coming home in a week to visit!"

Seok-Young smiled and nodded. "Ye, Eomma."

But Seok-Young could tell that his mother was still suffering. He went to her side and wrapped his arms around her. Jan Di patted his arm lightly and squeezed him back. "Gomawo, Seok-Y…"

Just then, Ji Hoo entered the kitchen. He smiled at the scene and approached. Ji Hoo placed a hand on Seok-Young's back. "Gomawo, Son…," and Ji Hoo gave Seok-Young a look, as if to indicate that he'd take it from there. Seok-Young nodded to his father and left the room.

"Come along, my otter, I have a new song to play for you…"


A few days later…

Jan Di had been rushing around for days, preparing the place for the arrival of Min Seo Hyun. Her unnie and Ji Hoo's former love was in town for a visit and was also helping with a charity event they had been organizing.

Min Seo Hyun arrived at the Yoon Household. She was dressed in the latest fashion, a stylish Parisian dress and boots, accessorized by a scarf and golden jewelry.

All of F4 was there, along with their children, and Seo Hyun was going around greeting everyone…

Seok-Young, Jun-Seo, Jae-Jin, and Il-Hun were all grouped together, watching—or rather, staring—at Seo Hyun.

"So, that is your appa's ex-girlfriend, huh?" Jun-Seo commented, folding his arms. He cocked his head to get a better view.

"Yep. That's her…," Seok-Young muttered, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

"How does your eomma feel about her visiting?" Jae-Jin asked.

"She doesn't seem to mind. In fact, she's happy about it. They're friends."

"She's a model, right?" Il-Hun chimed in.

"She was. I don't think she's doing much modeling these days. She's focusing more on her legal career, according to Appa and Eomma," Seok-Young informed.

"Well, she still looks pretty darn good for her age…," Jae-Jin said.

"Yea man, daaang!" Il-Hun uttered, "I don't usually find women attractive who are old enough to be my mother, but dang!" Il-Hun gave a low whistle.

Seok-Young shook his head. "Are you two even supposed to like girls yet?"

"Well, whether we're supposed to or not, it's a fact," Jae-Jin replied.

Seok-Young gave a short laugh.

"Yea, so when did you start liking girls, Hyung?" Il-Hun asked.

"Well, I guess it was around your age…," Seok-Young replied.


The girls were watching the boys with a mixture of disgust and amusement upon their faces.

"Would you look at that?" Gu Ju-Mi shook her head at the boys, causing her curls to bounce lightly.

"Shameless!" Yeong-Hui exclaimed.

"Their jaws are practically on the floor!" Song Hye-Mi exclaimed, placing a hand on her slender hip.

"Min Seo Hyun is beautiful, but she's old enough to be their eomma…so it's kind of disgusting…," Ju Mi chastised, "Look at my oppa's stupid face," she gave a short laugh.

Still, the girls were all rather envious of Seo Hyun.

"She is really beautiful, though, isn't she?" Mee-Yon spoke.

"And so stylish…" Yeong-Hui added.

"I know; I just love her outfit!" So Ae-Jeong jumped in. She'd just gotten into fashionable clothes and makeup, though her parents didn't allow her to wear it.

"Mm," the girls all nodded.

"And she's smart and talented, too," Mee-Yon added. Like her mother, Mee-Yon admired Seo Hyun, but it was her own eomma who was Mee-Yon's true role model.


Min Seo Hyun approached the group of boys.

"Oh, this should be good…," Ju-Mi commented. The girls folded their arms and watched.


The boys all grew gravely silent and stiff as boards when Seo Hyun came into proximity. She was beaming at them. "Well, what a handsome group of young men you are!" Seo Hyun exclaimed, and the boys simultaneously blushed and dropped their heads out of modesty.


"Look at those dummies…they're eating it up…," Ju-Mi commented, grinning.

Eun-Jeong had been uncharacteristically quiet the entire time. She was watching Seok-Young's reaction closely…


Seo Hyun went up to Seok-Young first. He prepared to bow to her and introduce himself, but before he could do so, she suddenly took his face in her hands. Seok-Young felt his cheeks warm up, and he was staring straight into her dark chocolate eyes. His own eyes went slightly wide.

"I would know you anywhere, Yoon Seok-Young!" Seo Hyun exclaimed, "Oh, you look just like a mini version of your father! But…," she took a good look at him, "…with your mother's beautiful eyes…"

Seo Hyun smiled at Seok-Young and released his cheeks. Seok-Young bowed politely to Seo Hyun and glanced away, swallowing the lump in his throat.


Mee-Yon giggled, "Look at my oppa; he's blushing!" she pointed over at Seok-Young, clutching at her sides—nearly doubled over from laughter

The other girls all laughed, except for Eun-Jeong, who did not find it quite so hilarious as her best friend. In fact, Eun-Jeong found herself to be a bit envious of Seo Hyun, too, but not exactly for the same reasons as the other girls…

Though it was stupid, she felt envious that Min Seo Hyun currently had the undivided attention of her Seok-Young Oppa…

Eun-Jeong watched Seok-Young bashfully turn from Seo Hyun, turning a brighter shade of red than she'd ever seen his face, and for some reason…she felt this gnawing bit of jealousy.

He probably thinks she's hot…, Eun-Jeong thought begrudgingly.

Eun-Jeong sighed and immediately mentally berated herself for being so silly. It was utterly ridiculous, wasn't it? So what if Seok-Young thought Seo Hyun was attractive… That shouldn't really bother her…

But Eun-Jeong rather wished he would look at her like he was now looking at Min Seo Hyun…


Next, Seo Hyun approached the girls. Putting aside their laughter and other thoughts, they all greeted her politely and bowed. Seo Hyun asked Mee-Yon all about her swimming and asked each of the girls about their respective interests, school, and their lives. She was as charming as everyone said…

Then, Seo Hyun approached Jan Di and Ji Hoo. She pulled Jan Di into a warm hug first and then turned to Ji Hoo.

"It's so nice to see both of you again!" Seo Hyun exclaimed.

"You, too, Unnie," Jan Di replied, and Ji Hoo smiled and nodded.

Seo Hyun hugged Jan Di again. She broke the hug after a few seconds and held Jan Di's arms outstretched to get a better look at her. "Well, you haven't aged a day, Jan Di! You're so beautiful!"

Jan Di glanced away, "You're too kind, Unnie. But it's you who time seems to have stood still for. You look incredible."

Seo Hyun beamed at Jan Di. "You're so sweet, Jan Di. And your kids…oh!" Seo Hyun clasped her hands together, "They are just completely adorable and perfect! Well, how could they not turn out that way with you and Ji Hoo as their parents?"

Jan Di and Ji Hoo smiled. "Gomawo, Unnie," Jan Di said.


Seo Hyun took Jan Di aside to chat in the kitchen, while Jan Di finished preparing dinner. And the two women talked about their lives and their families.

Seo Hyun was married now to a world-renowned philanthropist, who was also a lawyer. Seo Hyun's husband was not able to join her in South Korea due to being away on business. He was a handsome, kind man, and he truly seemed fitting for Jan Di's amazing unnie. They had two children and lived in the south of France, but they were hardly ever there. Jan Di was very thankful that Seo Hyun was so happy now.

Seo Hyun pulled out some recent photos of her kids to show Jan Di, and they talked of her work and her travels. Jan Di listened with stars in her eyes. It was silly, but she still idealized Seo Hyun. Seo Hyun truly led an amazing life, but despite that, Jan Di wouldn't trade her own life for anything in the world.

Jan Di took Seo Hyun for a tour of the house, and then they all sat down to dinner.


After dinner, the boys were all hanging out and talking, and the girls were also gathered together. Jan Di was cleaning up in the kitchen.

Eun-Jeong watched the boys—well, one boy in particular—and she leaned heavily against the wall. She inadvertently released a sigh, as she watched Seok-Young smile and laugh about something Jun Seo said.

That smile again…

Jan Di came out of the kitchen, still holding a dish towel. She noticed Eun-Jeong leaning against the wall and staring out, with a faint smile upon her lips. Jan Di knew that lovesick look all too well, and she followed Eun-Jeong's gaze. It appeared that her son was on the other end of it…

Jan Di approached Eun-Jeong, who still hadn't registered her presence. "How was the food, Eun-Jeong-ah?" she touched Eun-Jeong's shoulder.

"Oh, Aunt Jan Di! You…startled me…," Eun-Jeong stammered.

"Mianhae, Eun-Jeong-ah…"

"It was very good, Aunt Jan Di!" Eun-Jeong bowed, and Jan Di smiled at her. Then Eun-Jeong dropped her head and sighed.

Jan Di wasn't sure if she should step in. It seemed like a mother-daughter subject, but she decided to ask, "Eun-Jeong-ah, is something on your mind?"

Eun-Jeong chuckled awkwardly and gave a vibrant head shake, "No, Aunt Jan Di, nothing!"

Jan Di smiled and nodded, putting a hand on her shoulder. "OK then."

Jan Di turned to walk off, but Eun-Jeong stopped her, "Well…Aunt Jan Di…"

"Yes?" Jan Di turned back.

"Um…how did you get Uncle Ji Hoo to like you?"

Jan Di smiled affectionately at Eun-Jeong and thought about her question for a moment. "I didn't really do much at all. I just kind of pined over him," Jan Di gave a short laugh, "…and I kept trying to see him, but I…ended up letting him go because he liked someone else…"

Eun-Jeong looked at Jan Di curiously.

"But he came back…" Jan Di decided not to get into all the details of it. "…I don't know why he ended up liking me, Eun-Jeong-ah... He just kept coming to my rescue, and we became close friends… There were a lot of obstacles, and we didn't get together right away, but he was always there for me, through everything… And we ended up falling in love. We're soulmates…"

Eun-Jeong had heard her mother speak of this soulmates concept before.

"How did you know you were soulmates, Aunt Jan Di?"

Jan Di gazed off dreamily. "I don't know. You just feel it. He was always showing up when I needed him the most. I call him my firefighter because whenever the alarm in my heart went off—and it did quite a few times back then—he would show up, to rescue me, or comfort me, whatever I needed…"

Eun-Jeong smiled and nodded. "That sounds nice, to have a guy to protect you and come to your rescue…like a fairy tale…"

Eun-Jeong had never thought she would be such a sentimental fool. But then again, perhaps it was in her blood… After all, her mother was a romantic, who believed in soulmates and true love and happy endings...

"Yes, it was nice," Jan Di spoke, "It was a great comfort. He was like a gift from Heaven to me…"

"I hope I have that someday," Eun-Jeong commented off-handedly.

"You will, Eun-Jeong-ah, you will."

Eun-Jeong smiled and turned to Jan Di, "Thank you, Aunt Jan Di." And Jan Di pulled her into a warm hug. "Now, go on," Jan Di smiled and lightly shoved Eun-Jeong off.


Later that night…

Ga Eul sat in Eun-Jeong's room, brushing her hair and having some quality mother-daughter time.

"Eomma…," Eun-Jeong spoke softly.

"Yes, Baby?"

"…Do you think I should tell Seok-Young how I feel about him…?"

Ga Eul smiled tenderly. "You have to decide that for yourself, Baby. But I think that it is important to express your feelings…"

"But I'm afraid, Eomma…what if…he doesn't feel the same way?"

"Well, at least you'll know, Baby… You know, your appa taught me how to be strong in matters of the heart… And sometimes you have to withstand trials to become strong… As a mother, I never want you to experience pain or heartache, but it is a part of life…" Ga Eul tightened . Eun-Jeong turned to look at her mother.

Ga Eul her cheek and brushed aside a strand of hair, placing it behind her ear delicately.

"I have to be brave, right, Eomma?"

Ga Eul smiled and nodded. She kissed Eun-Jeong on the head and bid her goodnight.


The next day…

Eun-Jeong had barely slept, for she had been over and over it in her head, what she was going to say to Seok-Young. She'd decided to tell him how she felt about him…

"Oppa, can we talk?" she asked.

Eun Jeong was feeling brave after her talk with her eomma, though she was suddenly feeling the familiar presence of butterflies fluttering around in her stomach when she saw Seok-Young.

They greeted one another at the stairwell, and after a brief awkward period, Eun-Jeong decided. Just rip it off, like a bandaid.

"I like you, Oppa!" she blurted out. There, I said it…

Seok-Young felt his chest begin to rise and fall, but he worked to temper it. "I had a feeling that you did, Eun-Jeong-ah…," he said seriously.

Eun-Jeong stared at him, slightly stunned by his blunt response.

"I'm not trying to be arrogant right now, Eun-Jeong-ah. I just noticed it. I notice things… And I want you to know that…I'm very flattered…"

Seok-Young approached her and looked into her eyes. She glanced away, fighting back tears. He's flattered… It didn't sound good…

"I want you to know that I think you're very beautiful and wonderful, Eun-Jeong-ah. You make me smile and laugh like no one else can, aside from maybe my sister…," he paused, turning away and blinking a few times. "…But the thing is…that's what you've always been to me… You're like a sister to me, Eun-Jeong-ah..."

Eun-Jeong felt as though she'd been punched in the gut. That was certainly not what you want to hear from the guy you have a crush on. Eun-Jeong felt hot tears piling up behind her eyes. She glanced away and nodded. "I got it, Oppa…I understand…," she blinked back the tears.

"No. No, you don't." He approached her and took her arms in his. Despite the situation, her fragile heart began to beat harder and faster at his touch. "Please don't misunderstand…," Seok-Young said gently, "I do like you…a lot..."

She felt hope arise like a new day…

"But…," Seok-Young clenched his jaw.

But…, Eun-Jeong thought desolately.

"I just…don't think it's a good idea…for us to…date."

And then she felt her stomach drop out, and her heart hit the ground with a painful thud. She did her best to smile, while still fighting back the pesky tears. "Oh…," she nodded vibrantly, "Yes, of course. You're absolutely right, Oppa… I never said anything about that, anyway… And yes, it's a horrible idea…," she mumbled bitterly.

Seok-Young sighed. "…Eun-Jeong-ah, let me explain… Not only would we have to deal with our parents on the matter, but if it didn't work out…I fear for what it would do to our friendship... And not to mention, we'd have to see each other at our families' gatherings…and it might be awkward…"

Eun-Jeong nodded. "I guess that makes sense, Oppa…," her voice trembled, and her body was quickly following suit. She looked away.

"You're very special to me, and I care about you so much, Eun-Jeong-ah. I don't ever want to hurt you," he said sincerely, "And this is truly breaking my heart…"

She looked back at him, and it was evident from his face that he was speaking the truth.

"I've actually been over and over it in my head… I've tried to think about it rationally…and I just don't see how it could work…," he said.

Eun-Jeong nodded, again unable to look at him. She was simply doing her best not to burst into tears.

"Eun-Jeong-ah…," he spoke softly.

"It's OK, Oppa," she sniffled and wiped a few renegade droplets with the back of her hand.

"Please know that this was an extremely tough decision for me," he said even more delicately.

"Well, if it was a tough decision for you, then I guess that makes it all better…," she muttered, looking away.

"Eun-Jeong-ah, please…," he lightly grasped her arms, "Look at me..."

She turned to look into his eyes. "I'm so sorry…," he said.

And then, he put a hand behind her head and leaned down slightly to place a gentle kiss upon her forehead.

The kiss intensified, and his lips remained upon her forehead, pressing in deeper. As his burning kiss persisted, Eun-Jeong felt as though her heart couldn't settle down.

He finally pulled back and looked into her eyes. "Eun-Jeong-ah…I…"

Eun-Jeong put on a brave face. "I'm fine, Oppa, really… You don't need to say anything more. I get it, and it's fine. You're right about all of that. I'll just…see you later!" she said in an overly fake-bubbly tone. Then, she rushed off.

Seok-Young released a heavy exhale. He slumped against the wall and buried his face in his hands, certain that he was going to regret this—and very soon...

I'm sorry, Eun-Jeong-ah… I'm so sorry… Yoon Seok-Young, you're such a babo…

And a tear fell and rolled steadily down his cheek.


Later that day…

Eun-Jeong was walking with Mee-Yon, much more slowly than usual, almost as if she were walking through heavy mud or even quicksand… Perhaps she was being weighed down by her broken heart… Mee-Yon had noticed her friend's mood, but Eun-Jeong would not tell her what the problem was…

As she walked along, Eun-Jeong noticed Seok-Young on the level below them. Her eyes focused upon him and then upon a girl.

"Sunbae!" a girl with long, dark wavy hair shouted, as she bounded up to Seok-Young. She immediately hooked her arm around his.

And Eun-Jeong once again felt that sickening weightless feeling in her stomach. She gazed over the side of the railing, unable to look away. She couldn't hear what was being said, but she saw Seok-Young smile and nod to the girl.

"Hey, Mee-Yon-ah…who's that girl with Oppa?" Eun-Jeong asked, feeling her heart jump into .

Mee-Yon craned her neck to see. "Ohh, her. That's Gun Mi Na. She's a first year high school student, a flutist. She's an excellent student and basically the female version of Oppa… I can't really stand her, though…she's so pushy… I know that's not very charitable, though…"

Eun-Jeong nodded. She swallowed the hard lump in . "…Does Oppa…like her?"

Mee-Yon poked out her cheeks, as she thought about it. "I'm not sure. She definitely likes him, though…"

Eun-Jeong and Mee-Yon looked on, as Mi Na smiled and giggled, while walking with Seok-Young. Eun-Jeong strained to see Seok-Young's face. If she could just see his face then perhaps she could tell if he liked her... But she was walking together with him, arm-in-arm…so it was painfully obvious…

"Why?" Mee-Yon asked, stirring Eun-Jeong from her reverie.

"Oh. Just wondering…"

Mee-Yon nodded. "It looks like Oppa is just being polite to her right now. But I think Oppa does like someone…"

Eun-Jeong felt as though her heart stopped for a moment.

"Yea, I think he was talking to Appa about it… Maybe it's her…I don't know, though. Usually Oppa and I talk about everything, but he hasn't told me about this."

This bothered Mee-Yon a bit. She didn't like when her oppa kept secrets from her. But it was his choice and his life, so she had to understand.

Eun-Jeong watched Seok-Young and Mi Na walk off together—she was still clinging to his arm. Suddenly Eun-Jeong felt an overwhelming surge of jealousy, and her chest ached painfully.


It was all suddenly making sense to Eun-Jeong, why Seok-Young had dismissed her…

It wasn't because of their families or the potential for ruining their friendship… He was trying to let her down easy because he didn't like her; he liked someone else…

Eun-Jeong was suddenly in imminent danger of bursting into tears like a small child.

"Excuse me, Mee-Yon-ah," Eun-Jeong said, "I…have something in my eye…," she placed a hand to her face and rushed off toward the bathroom.

As she speed-walked away from her best friend, Eun-Jeong shot one last glance to Seok-Young. This time, he caught sight of her, and they exchanged a look. Seok-Young's gaze lingered upon Eun-Jeong, and she quickly looked away, as her tears were once again threatening to spill.

She looked back again, just in time to see Seok-Young being literally dragged away by Mi Na...

Teaser: Chapter Four: Sparks Part II: Another guy forces Seok-Young to come to terms with his feelings. Will he finally reveal his true feelings and take a chance on love? And will Eun-Jeong accept it?