Heartthrobs Part III

Like the Lotus: The Next Generation

Heartthrobs Part III 

The announcer explained the rules of the contest to Seok-Young and Aidan. Each contestant was to perform a musical piece—vocal or instrumental—of 3 minutes, and the crowd would cast their votes as to which they preferred. There was a prize being offered, but there was much more at stake for Seok-Young than a simple carnival prize.

Seok-Young considered his options. There were numerous instruments available for use on the stage, including a large grand piano, several acoustic and electric guitars, as well as some other string instruments. Seok-Young was certain that he planned to play rather than sing. But what instrument should he choose—and what song? What would this particular crowd go for? Were they cultured? Not necessarily. He scanned the crowd to determine the ages and gender of the majority. The group was mostly teens and twenty-somethings—interspersed with some children and a lot of couples.

They obviously went for Aidan's style of music, of this Seok-Young was sure. So, perhaps he should choose something more upbeat and bouncy—maybe one of Haydn's concertos on piano. Or, perhaps he should play the violin—maybe Bach's Chaconne, with its high tempo, or even Mendelssohn's beautiful, haunting concerto. Of course, if he was only given three minutes, he couldn't perform a full version of any of those, so he might just play the climactic parts. Or, perhaps he should do a cover of a contemporary song on guitar, given the demographics of the crowd. Seok-Young had learned mostly classical pieces, but he also knew some of the popular contemporary ones, due to his sister and the F3 girls. Seok-Young couldn't decide, and he was rapidly running out of time.

As if sensing Seok-Young's current impasse, Aidan whispered to him, "Would you like for me to go first, Yoon Seok-Young? I don't mind."

Seok-Young inwardly groaned. Why was Aidan always so nice—or seemingly so? But he simply nodded and took a few steps to the side, giving Aidan the stage. Once off to the side, Seok-Young looked to Eun-Jeong's spot. She was standing there with hands clasped in front of her, and she was watching him. She cocked her head and stuck out her lip in an adorable pout, and then she mouthed, 'Ok?' Seok-Young merely smiled at her and nodded.


"Annyeonghaseyo!" Aidan spoke into the mic, and he introduced himself again. The crowd applauded. "I'm going to sing one of my original songs that has been very popular in the past," he announced. "Are you ready for 'Love Song!'

And the crowd went wild. It appeared they were familiar with it.

And then Aidan began to sing. His song was an upbeat and energetic—happy—ballad. And the crowd began to sway and sing along.

They even know all the words to it. I don't stand a chance, Seok-Young thought miserably.

But no, he wasn't going to give up. He was doing this for Eun-Jeong, and he wouldn't fail her! Seok-Young was like his father in many ways, but he also had his mother's spunk and tenacity.

Seok-Young watched Aidan perform. In addition to singing, he was throwing in some dance moves here and there, which the audience seemed to greatly enjoy. And though Aidan was looking out over the crowd, it seemed that his eyes would often fixate upon one particular spot. When Aidan focused on the spot again, with hand outstretched as he sang, Seok-Young followed Aidan's gaze. And it appeared he was singing straight to Eun-Jeong.

Seok-Young folded his arms, suddenly feeling a heightened sense of determination. While he stood there—pondering his course of action—he heard Aria beckon him from below the stage…


Eun-Jeong stood next to Mee-Yon—with Yeong-Hui on her other side—watching Aidan perform. But when she noticed Aria leave the group and make her way through the crowd, she watched her go. Eun-Jeong's eyes followed Aria to Seok-Young's side of the stage. What's she doing?

Eun-Jeong watched Aria go to the edge of the stage and beckon Seok-Young. He knelt before her, while she whispered something to him. And Eun-Jeong felt that familiar green-eyed monster returning to terrorize her.

Then, Seok-Young said something to her briefly and shook his head. And Aria stepped back from the stage. Seok-Young stood and resumed watching Aidan.


After Aidan finished his song, he took a bow, and the announcer stepped forward. "Whoa, tough act to follow!" he quipped. He presented Aidan once more, and Aidan took another bow before the uproarious crowd.

"And now, for our next contestant!" the announcer motioned for Seok-Young.

Seok-Young took a deep breath. He slowly released it and fixed his jaw before taking centerstage. And the announcer presented Seok-Young to the crowd. Seok-Young gave a short bow and spoke into the presented mic, informing the crowd that he would be performing a piece called Clair de Lune on the piano.

Due to all the couples in the audience, Seok-Young had finally decided upon a romantic piano piece—and what better than Debussy's illustrious Clair de Lune. Though he would need to shorten it considerably, it seemed the perfect piece to enchant the lovers out there.

The crowd clapped, and Seok-Young gave another bow. Then, he turned, went to the piano, and took a seat on the bench. Seok-Young loosened up his fingers and delicately placed them upon the keys—so gentle that they touched but made no sound. He took a second to look out over the crowd, and then he began to play. Seok-Young shut his eyes tight and moved his hands along the ivories, as he immersed himself in the music.

...

Midway through the shortened piece, Seok-Young glanced out again. The audience seemed enthralled, yet extremely quiet. It was certainly not the same type of response Aidan had gotten, but it was a very, very different piece. Fearing he could be losing them, Seok-Young made a decision—he decided to keep them on their toes, liven things up a bit. So, he sped up the tempo considerably.

As Seok-Young's fingers flew across the keys, he was sure that Debussy must be spinning in his grave right now—over how he was currently butchering his masterpiece. But a performer plays to the crowd, doesn't he? And apparently it was working because the crowd had become more excitable and vocal.


Aria folded her arms and glanced around—at the now animated crowd. And she smiled. "How clever, Yoon Seok-Young," she spoke to herself.


The upbeat tempo seemed to be helping to invigorate the crowd, but Seok-Young needed more. In fact, he needed to pull out all the stops, in order to beat Aidan. As he wracked his brain about what else he could do, he recalled a few tricks that Appa had taught him as a child—when they were just goofing around at the piano…

For one, Appa had taught him how to play behind his back. Seok-Young had only been a child then, but at the time, he'd thought it was the funniest and coolest thing he'd ever seen. He supposed it was worth a shot.


When Aria came over before, she had tried to give him some tips on how to beat Aidan, and she had even offered to accompany him on vocals if allowed. It had shocked Seok-Young a bit, that Aria would go against her brother—who she was so loyal to. Perhaps she thought it was not a fair contest…

But Seok-Young wasn't planning to just roll over and die. So, he'd politely declined her help, thanking her and telling her he had something in mind. He wanted to do it on his own—he needed to do it on his own.

Seok-Young wanted to beat Aidan fair and square, without resorting to any tricks. Still, maybe one or two little tricks would be OK… And they weren't really even tricks, more like showmanship. And what was wrong with that, anyway? Aidan did it all the time. And if Aidan could charm the crowd, then Seok-Young could, too. Well, he didn't know if he could pull it off, but at least he'd give it his best.


So, Seok-Young removed one hand from the keys and began to play with only one—the crowd clapped loudly—and then he used just one finger. The crowd seemed to love that, and they clapped even harder. Next, Seok-Young stood and returned both hands to the keys, tickling the ivories with all his digits once again. Then, he spun around and began to play behind his back, while looking out over his shoulder at the sea of people, which had grown in size. It was utterly ridiculous, but in order to play to the crowd even further, Seok-Young covered one hand over his eyes, while playing with the other. He felt foolish, but the crowd only laughed and cheered loudly.

Phew, didn't think that would work…

And Seok-Young didn't know if they liked him or if he was merely a laughing stock, but whatever the case, he was getting applause, so he continued.


Aria giggled at Seok-Young's antics. He always seemed like such a serious person, so she had no idea he had such a goofy side to him. But it was nonetheless cute and endearing. And she couldn't stop smiling.


Seok-Young turned back around to face the piano. He placed one hand upon the keys and gave the crowd a wave with his free one, while revealing a brilliant smile. And that gesture was met by screams and cheers. He had no idea it would elicit such a reaction.

He remained standing and skillfully pounded the keys with both hands in crescendo, ending the piece. After finishing, he lowered his head for a moment, amidst a thunderous applause. And then he bowed at his waist to the crowd.

When Seok-Young looked up, he happened to catch sight of Aria; she was smiling at him. He returned with a faint smile and then scanned the crowd for Eun-Jeong. She was still in the same spot, and she was smiling at him and clapping vigorously. He returned with a sweet smile of his own. And then she jumped up and down once. Seok-Young smiled widely and gave a silent little laugh.

The other F4 girls were smiling, laughing, and clapping. And beside the girls, the F4 boys were also offering their support. Jun-Seo crossed his arms and shook his head at his hyung, yet he was smiling. Jae-Jin and Il-Hun began clapping vigorously, and Il-Hun whooped and whistled playfully.


"Wau, they're both so good!" the announcer boomed, as he made his way to centerstage, motioning for the contestants to follow. And then he presented Seok-Young and Aidan to the crowd. Both guys stood before the audience with their hands clasped in front of them.

"So, who will it be, Audience?" and the announcer instructed the crowd to clap and cheer for their favorite.

Eun-Jeong looked around, and it seemed that the crowd was divided—one side was cheering for Aidan to win and the other for Seok-Young. The two sides were literally divided down the middle by an invisible line. Both sides were chanting for their favorite, and some were even glaring at each other and arguing over which contestant should win.

Eun-Jeong, Yeong, Hui, Mee-Yon, and the boys had all moved to—what appeared to be—Seok-Young's side, but Hye-Mi and Ju-Mi were still lingering somewhere in the middle. Hye-Mi freely expressed her quandary over who to choose.

The announcer presented Aidan first. "OK, who thinks Aidan Cho should win? Make some noise!" And clapping and shouting emanated from the audience, as well as some 'I love yous'.

Eun-Jeong and Mee-Yon both felt it would be impolite not to clap for a performance, so they gave a quiet little clap. Then Mee-Yon met Aidan's eyes briefly, and she suddenly felt the need to clap a bit more.

Yeong-Hui folded her arms, refusing to clap at all, for it would be going against Oppa. Jun-Seo began to boo, but Ju-Mi pinched him.

And Hye-Mi and Ju-Mi clapped freely. Il-Hun and Jun-Seo shot their sisters dirty looks, and Yeong-Hui accused them of being traitors.

Hye-Mi sneered back and informed them. "We're going to clap for Oppa, too!" And Ju-Mi nodded.

"OK, but it better be louder than for him!" Jun-Seo warned Ju-Mi and Hye-Mi.


Next, the announcer presented Seok-Young. "And how about Yoon Seok-Young?" and he again encouraged the audience to make their interest known. And claps and cheers rang out again, as Seok-Young stood silently on stage with hands clasped.

The F4 girls all clapped—Eun-Jeong clapping the hardest of all. The F4 boys joined in, too, making a lot of extra noise. Jun-Seo and Jae-Jin were clapping, and Il-Hun was whooping and whistling, and he shouted out a 'yea, yea, yea, that's my boyyy!'

As with Aidan, Eun-Jeong also heard some affectionate words directed at Seok-Young. And she had to admit that she didn't like it when she heard several girls shout out—to her boyfriend—that they loved him…

...

"Well, this is a dilemma. It seems there is no clear winner," the announcer declared when he could not tell who had gotten the most cheers. "We'll call it a tie and go to a tie-breaker round, then!"

The audience clapped and joyously agreed, being thrilled at the chance to see another performance.

Seok-Young and Aidan looked between each other and then to the announcer. "Excuse me, sir, but what will the tie-breaker be?" Seok-Young asked.

"Hmm," the announcer d his chin. "Well, you will both perform another song of three minutes or less, but this time…," he paused for a moment. "…you each have to play an instrument and sing!" and he held up his finger in the air in proclamation of his great idea.

And Seok-Young's face fell. Sing? He thought glumly.


Seok-Young had taken a few vocal lessons as part of his well-rounded and intensive musical program, so he knew how to sing, but he didn't particularly enjoy it. And he certainly couldn't hit the high notes that Aidan was so adept at. It just wasn't physically possible for his vocal chords, no matter how much training he received.

Seok-Young inwardly groaned. He supposed he would just have to ensure that the song he chose would properly showcase his vocal abilities, as well as impress the audience. And the only thing he could think of was to appeal to the emotions of the crowd.

Yes, Aidan knew how to wow the crowd, but if Seok-Young sang from his heart, perhaps he would have a shot at beating him. And Seok-Young thought of Eun-Jeong…

When he was only just realizing his feelings for her, she had commented at his violin recital that he had been playing from his heart… And she was right—he had been playing from his heart that evening. He'd been playing for her. It was just too bad that his confusing feelings—and her beauty that night—had led to distraction and he'd messed up.


Aidan chose to play electric guitar and performed a cover of a popular rock song that had the crowd singing and dancing. And Aidan, of course, tossed in some of his signature dance moves to drive the crowd wild.

After his performance, the crowd and announcer clapped for Aidan. Still clapping, the announcer commented, "Wau! I always liked that one," and then he gestured toward Seok-Young.

Seok-Young walked over and stood once more before the crowd. And he was experiencing a nervousness that he hadn't felt since that night he first realized his burgeoning feelings for Eun-Jeong—at his recital.

"Well, we know this kid can play, but can he sing, too?" the announcer quipped in challenge, as he put an arm around Seok-Young.

The announcer extended the microphone to Seok-Young once again and asked what he would be performing.

And the crowd began chanting for Seok-Young to sing, but it was Eun-Jeong's eyes that urged him on. She was looking at him with complete faith and adoration—as if she believed him capable of anything. And she often made him feel that way, as if—with her behind him—there was nothing he couldn't do…

Still, Seok-Young was uncertain. The song he'd decided to sing, he had wanted to reserve for Eun-Jeong's ears alone—and in private. But in order to win the contest and prove himself to Eun-Jeong, he needed something powerful. He needed something that meant something to him.

But was it right for him to perform a song meant for Eun-Jeong in front of all these people? How would she feel if she knew that? Was he really doing this for her—as he had told himself? Or, was this all about his own foolish pride and jealousy?

Seok-Young hesitated, and he began to change his mind. Mentally panicking, he tried to come up with another song choice that he knew well enough and that was in his range. But he couldn't come up with a thing, other than a stupid vocal exercise he'd practiced over-and-over again—and that certainly would not do. He'd be laughed right off the stage, and Eun-Jeong and he would be humiliated. He absolutely could not bomb in front of her.

Then, he noticed Aidan looking out into the crowd again—once more, directly at Eun-Jeong. And something swelled within Seok-Young's chest.


Seok-Young cleared his throat and spoke into the mic. "Um, I'm going to play the piano and sing a song I wrote. I wrote this for a special someone…," Seok-Young glanced out into the audience to see Eun-Jeong's face. He smiled at her. Her lips curled upward, and she bashfully glanced down at her feet.

And before he knew it, Seok-Young was blurting out the name of the song he'd written for Eun-Jeong. "It's called…I Never Knew."

Seok-Young was handed the microphone and given the stage. He shut his eyes tight and lowered his head. Then, he inhaled some air and began to softly sing.

I've known you for so long; I've known you all along; you've seen it all, ever since we were small…

And Seok-Young smiled and the memory of them as children.


Eun-Jeong was immediately captivated by the sound of Seok-Young's voice. It was the first time she had heard his singing voice, and she could not understand why he'd been hiding it for so long. It was sweet; it was pleasant and utterly exquisite.


Together, we played; together, we grew

And all I wanted then was to keep you safe and protect you

But I never knew

Through the good and the bad

The tears and the smiles

I never knew; I never knew…

What I had in you

No, I never knew

And suddenly Seok-Young was pouring out every thought and feeling he'd ever had about Eun-Jeong since childhood—all at once.

The group, as well as the audience, was entranced. And Eun-Jeong stood there in complete awe. Could he possibly be singing about her? She didn't want to assume, but who else could it be about? And her heart did a somersault.

Through all this time, through all we've shared; still, I never knew

You told me how you felt, and I broke your heart…perhaps you never know how it broke mine, too

But what I couldn't convey when I pushed you away was how I felt all along, yet I never knew

...

And when I thought you were gone…my heart ached and ached

The pain was so strong I could barely go on

I was such a fool because I never knew

...

And then we found each other, under the trees…and finally I saw…what I should have seen all along…

Seok-Young shut his eyes and continued to belt out the song to its .

And finally, finally I see…

Seok-Young held the note.

That I love you, I love you, I love you…and that all along you were meant for me!

Seok-Young held the final note—hitting a range he hadn't previously thought possible—and said a silent thanks that his voice hadn't cracked in the process.


After the song ended, Seok-Young stood there—his eyelashes wet from the tears that the emotions he felt for Eun-Jeong had brought to his eyes. And as he took a deep breath—and his memories continued to wash over him—he attempted to keep his tears where they were, trapped upon his thick, dark lashes.

The audience had gone silent—and they remained that way for a moment. Seok-Young wasn't sure if they liked the song or not, but he only cared about Eun-Jeong's reaction. In fact, he was no longer concerned with the contest at all but rather with Eun-Jeong's reaction to the song. He hoped that she had enjoyed it and that she wasn't embarrassed or angry with him for performing it live like that.

...

And then the crowd broke out into wild clapping and cheering.

Seok-Young looked to Eun-Jeong. She was smiling and wiping tears away from her face, as Yeong-Hui and Mee-Yon each put an arm around her.


"Wow…," Aria uttered, wistfully. "She really is a lucky girl…"

And then Aria began to clap and cheer loudly. She had been relatively quiet during Aidan's performance. She and Aidan exchanged a glance, and he looked at her curiously.


"Wow! They're both so good!" the announcer suddenly spoke. "It's going to be difficult to decide! What do all of you think?" He brought Aidan out and presented the two of them to the crowd once more.

This time, it was a clear victory—for Seok-Young.

...

Seok-Young was ecstatic about winning. But he didn't care about the prize so much as the look on Eun-Jeong's face—which was priceless to him. Yet, at the same time, he felt horrible. He felt as though his desire to win and impress Eun-Jeong had led to him exploiting her a bit.

Aidan approached Seok-Young, stirring him from his reverie, and he held out a hand to him. "That was a good match," he said. "Congratulations."

"Thank you," and Seok-Young smiled and shook his opponent's hand.

"That song was really impressive, Yoon Seok-Young. Even I would have voted for you. You deserved to win." Aidan smiled genuinely at Seok-Young. Seok-Young smiled back and thanked him again.

Then, Seok-Young went to rejoin his group.


Meanwhile, Aidan approached Aria. She complimented his performance and he thanked her. But then Aidan questioned her about her support of Seok-Young. "I'm not angry with you, Aria," Aidan said calmly. "…just a bit surprised. I don't understand why you would choose to support Seok-Young over me."

"Well, it's simple, Oppa. Of course, you gave a great performance, but you're already extremely popular. Seok-Young was obviously giving his all in order to look good before his girlfriend. And frankly, well, I believe that he deserved to win."

Aidan nodded, and then a smile crossed his lips. "Actually, I agree with you. I think we could use him on tour," Aidan quipped.

Aria chuckled. "I told him the same thing!"

Aidan smiled and shook his head. He put an arm around Aria and led her through the crowd to join the others.


After the musical competition, the group strolled up to a tall wooden roller coaster. The boys wanted to go on it, and they turned to the girls, asking if they were scared and teasing them a bit. The girls all insisted that they weren't afraid, but there was a hint of fear in Hye-Mi's eyes.

They all prepared to get in line for the ride, but Eun-Jeong held back. "Oh, I would, but I…," Eun-Jeong looked away, feeling embarrassed. "…get sick on them. I'll just wait here," she said.

And Seok-Young recalled the time when Eun-Jeong had gotten sick after riding one years ago. He prepared to tell her that he would wait with her, but then Aidan stepped in. "I'm not a huge fan of them myself, Eun-Jeong-ah," he said, with a smile. "I get a little queasy, too, so I'll wait with you."

"Aidan, thank you, but that's OK…I can—," Seok-Young began, but they were being ushered forward into the line.

Jun-Seo, Jae-Jin, and Il-Hun had already gone on ahead in the line. And the F4 girls wanted to ride together, but there was only room for the four of them, which would leave out Aria. Mee-Yon opened to offer to ride with Aria, but then Hye-Mi spoke up instead, suggesting that Seok-Young ride with Aria, so she didn't have to ride with a stranger.

"Well," Seok-Young put a hand behind his neck and hesitated, looking to Eun-Jeong.

"It's fine. I can ride alone or with the next person in line," Aria said with a fake smile. She was actually terrified of the thing, but she didn't want to show it. She glanced at Seok-Young and then back to the girls.

"Oppa, you can't let Aria Unnie ride by herself or with a stranger…," Hye-Mi pouted.

Seok-Young hesitated; he looked to Eun-Jeong again.

And Eun-Jeong recalled what Aria had told them earlier about having no parents, as well as her own promise to herself to be nicer to Aria. She didn't want to be petty and selfish, so she waved Seok-Young on with a smile. "It's OK, Oppa, go ahead. Please ride with Aria Unnie!"

Seok-Young nodded, "OK," and he took his place in line next to Aria. Seok-Young glanced back at Eun-Jeong and Aidan one last time before getting into the car. Then he pulled down and secured their lap bar.


As Eun-Jeong watched Seok-Young get onto the ride with Aria, she suddenly wished she had chosen to deal with the motion sickness. But then again, she also did not want to throw up on him. She put on a smile and looked to Aidan beside her.


As the ride operator prepared to send off the coaster, Mee-Yon turned back to Aria in the car behind. "Is your stomach OK now, Unnie?" she asked.

Aria nodded, "Yes, I think it's fine now."

Mee-Yon smiled and nodded, and then she turned back around.

"I've never been on one of these before," Aria said nervously, as the coaster made its ascent.

Seo-Young gave her a reassuring smile. "Don't worry. They're fun and safe." Usually, anyway. Seok-Young knew of the statistics—and there was an occasional accident involving a rollercoaster, but it was rare, and he certainly didn't plan on telling her that.

When the roller coaster reached the top, Aria was practically shaking. And as it began to make its first drop, she suddenly clutched onto Seok-Young's hand on the bar. Seok-Young blinked but kept his hand motionless, as she squeezed his knuckle.

Aria screamed as they were hurled down the track. And then, as abruptly as it happened, she removed her hand from his. Instead, she grasped onto the metal bar in front of them for dear life with both hands. And they made their way through the twists and turns; all the while, Aria was screaming, smiling, and laughing.


After the rollercoaster, the group continued walking around the carnival. They approached a series of booths with various homemade items for sale, and they all began to wander around the area.

While Aria browsed one of the tables, three older guys approached her—about 18 years of age and dressed in punk clothing. "Hey baby," one of them said. Aria looked up at him, gave no facial reaction, and then returned her eyes to the table in front of her.

"What's your name, Beautiful?" another spoke, grinning.

Aria didn't answer and simply tried to ignore the .

Then, the third guy approached her and laid a hand on her shoulder. "How would you like to hang out with us tonight?" he asked.

"No, thanks," she said, as she took the guy's hand and dropped it from her shoulder.

"Aw, come on, Baby," said the first to approach her. "We'll show you a good time…," and he gave her a lewd stare. And then all three of them began to encroach upon her personal space.

"I don't think so. Get lost," Aria hissed. One of the guys put his arm around her; she pushed him away. Then, another grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her toward him. "No, leave me alone!" she shouted. And the one who had pulled her into him wrapped his arms around her waist and shoulders from behind, as she struggled.

...

"Ya, get your hands off her!"

The thugs turned—releasing Aria in the process—to see Seok-Young approaching, with Jun-Seo, Jae-Jin, and Il-Hun behind him. "She said to leave her alone," Seok-Young spoke in his sternest tone of voice.

"Seok-Young-ah!" Aria called out. She backed away from the hoodlums and ran to Seok-Young and F3. And Seok-Young stepped in front of her.

"Get lost, Kid! This doesn't concern you!" the head thug demanded.

"It does concern me—because she's with us," Seok-Young stated, as he draped an arm casually around Aria's shoulder and pulled her slightly into him. Aria simply stared up at Seok-Young as he led her aside.

The three lowlifes approached, but Jun-Seo, Jae-Jin, and Il-Hun stepped between them and Seok-Young and Aria, blocking their path. F3 folded their arms in unison and stared menacingly at the older guys—as if daring them to make a move.

The apparent leader scoffed. "What do you three kids want?" he asked sarcastically. "What the hell's your problem?"

"Our problem is that you were messing with one of our friends. We want you to apologize to the girl," Jun-Seo demanded, poking out his chest slightly.

The hoodlum got in Jun-Seo's face. "You kids think you're tough, huh?" and he continued to stare down Jun-Seo, while Seok-young and Aria looked on from behind. Seok-Young still had an arm around Aria.

"Apologize to her," Jun-Seo repeated, his nose practically pressed against the older boy's.

"Why should I?!"

"Because we said so," Jun-Seo raised his voice.

"And who the hell do you think you are to tell us what to do, you little punk?!"

"We're F4," Il-Hun chimed in proudly.

The thugs were silent for a few seconds.

"F4?!" the leader broke out into raucous laughter, followed immediately by his underlings. "Am I supposed to know what that is?"

"Stop laughing!" Jun-Seo demanded. "You have no idea who you're dealing with...," he growled.

When the thugs didn't stop, Jun-Seo glared at them. And then a smirk crossed his lips. "Oh, and by the way, she's underage, you s!"

"s?! Why you...!" and the leader took a swing at Jun-Seo. Jun-Seo sidestepped the punch, and Il-Hun immediately stepped forward, grabbing the guy by the arm and twisting it hard behind his back.

"Ow, ow, ow!" The guy grunted and struggled, as Il-Hun held him there with a vice-like grip.

The other two jumped in and took swings at Jae-Jin and Jun-Seo, but F2 also avoided the strikes. Jun-Seo punched his attacker in the face, knocking him to his knees, and Jae-Jin took his down with a leg sweep.


Having heard the commotion from a distance, the girls and Aidan rushed over. A small crowd had also gathered to watch the conflict. Eun-Jeong's lips parted at the sight of Seok-Young with his arm around Aria. And he was subtly glaring at three older boys, who were tangling with Jun-Seo, Jae-Jin, and Il-Hun.

It was quickly over, though, with F3 coming out on top.

"Now, apologize to the girl," Il-Hun forcibly repeated Jun-Seo's demand, as he held the thug leader in a hammerlock. "And to my friends!"

"No way, screw you!"

Il-Hun clenched his jaw and he twisted the guy's arm further, slightly exceeding a 90-degree angle. The guy yelped in pain and went down from one knee to both. And Jun-Seo and Jae-Jin cautioned the other two not to make a move.

"OK, OK, fine, I apologize!" the leader shouted back, and Il-Hun released him. He and the other two scowled at F4 and took a few steps back.

"Get lost!" Jae-Jin shouted. The three hesitated momentarily and then took off running after F3 began to approach menacingly.

"Yea, that's right, you better run!" Il-Hun shouted after them. "I guess you'll remember who F4 is now, won't you?!"

Jae-Jin shook his head and Jun-Seo scoffed, "Losers…"

...

Aidan rushed to Aria. "Are you alright?" he asked, worriedly.

She turned briefly to look at her brother. "Yes, I'm fine," she said. "All thanks to my hero, Seok-Young, here," and then she stared adoringly up at Seok-Young.

Seok-Young removed his arm from around her and glanced shyly away. He looked to Eun-Jeong, attempting to read her facial expression, and then he glanced back at Aria. She was still staring at him.

Suddenly, Aria went up on her toes and pressed a kiss into Seok-Young's cheek. "Gomawo, Seok-Young-ah, for standing up for me!"


Eun-Jeong's mouth practically dropped open—and she felt as though she'd received a swift kick to the stomach—at the sight of another girl kissing her boyfriend. Although it was just a quick peck of gratitude, Eun-Jeong didn't like it a bit. And how could Aria be so bold as to do that right in front of her?

Then, Eun-Jeong observed Seok-Young. What made it worse was the fact that Seok-Young was blushing from the kiss.


Seok-Young flushed at the surprising feel of Aria's lips upon his cheek. He gave her a polite smile and immediately averted his gaze. Then, he took a step away from Aria, and his eyes shot to Eun-Jeong—who was simply standing there and staring in utter astonishment.

What is she thinking right now? Is she angry? He wondered.

The others all appeared rather shocked, too. Even Aidan, who cocked his head and looked at Aria curiously.

Finally, Aidan cleared his throat, breaking the awkward tension. "Thank you, Seok-Young, for helping out my sister," he spoke.

Seok-Young looked to Aidan. "It's no problem. No one messes with our friends. And besides, you stood up for my sister, so I owed you one." He hoped that would explain it well enough to Eun-Jeong and assuage some of his guilt.

Aidan nodded. "That was no problem either," he said, smiling over at Mee-Yon. She smiled shyly back.

Then, Seok-Young went to Eun-Jeong's side, and she looked up at him. He gave her a disarming smile—with a hint of guilt in it—and cautiously put an arm around her. With a soft sigh, she smiled faintly back and nestled into him.

Meanwhile, the F3 boys were still looking on, flabbergasted.

"What about us?" Il-Hun finally blurted out, speaking for the three.

"Yes, we helped, too," Jae-Jin grinned and tapped his cheek, requesting a kiss, too.

"Oh yes! Of course, my other three saviors!" Aria exclaimed, as if only just remembering the other boys were there. And she rushed over to Jae-Jin, Il-Hun, and Jun-Seo. She placed a kiss upon each of their cheeks, causing them to blush like mad. "Gomawo!" she said, bowing.

F3 shuffled their feet and kicked at the dirt in embarrassment, mumbling that it was no big deal.

"Yes, thank you, guys. All of you," Aidan added, as he put an arm around Aria.

...


Night had fallen and closing time approached. The group made their way toward a large illuminated ferris wheel for their last ride of the evening.

Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong walked together behind the rest of the group. She had been oddly quiet since the incident with Aria.

"Are you alright?" he asked, tucking his hands into his pockets.

"Hmm? Oh, yes!" she nodded quickly, up and down. "Of course, Oppa," and she plastered on a smile.

But he wasn't so sure...


The group waited in line for the ferris wheel, all seemingly partnered up for the two-person ride: Seok-Young with Eun-Jeong, Ju-Mi with Hye-Mi, Yeong-Hui with Jae-Jin, and Il-Hun with Aria—he'd won the toss against Jae-Jin. And that left Mee-Yon to ride with either Aidan or Jun-Seo, or alone.

Fearing she would end up riding with Aidan, Jun-Seo bolted to Mee-Yon's side. He'd been waiting for an opportunity all night to ride with her, and a good one hadn't presented itself. But he couldn't possibly allow her to ride with Aidan.

Mee-Yon's eyes widened at the sudden jostling of the gondola as Jun-Seo hopped in beside her. "Goo Jun-seo!" she uttered in surprise.

Mee-Yon and Jun-Seo sat together in the gondola, her arm pressed ever so lightly against his. And Mee-Yon glanced over at Jun-Seo as the ride went up. He was looking out over the edge on his side and avoiding eye contact with her. He was acting a bit funny.

"Is something wrong, Goo Jun-Seo?" she asked, when the ride reached its highest point. He'd also been strangely quiet since he got on.

"No," he replied, immediately.

Mee-Yon pursed her lips. "Are you sure? Are you feeling sick?" she asked.

"No way," he shot back, and then he looked away again.

Mee-Yon nodded. "OK… But, you know that you know you can tell me if something is wrong."

He glanced at her out of the corner of his eye.

"Come on, Jun-Seo…," Mee-Yon grinned. "…Tell Noona what's wrong, so she can make it all better!" and she playfully poked him in the rib. The gondola rocked slightly.

Jun-Seo clutched at the bar that held them in. "Ya! Don't do that! Stop messing around!" he shouted back, unintentionally. It was partially a slight fear of heights—that he would never admit—and partially embarrassment over her touch, which he would definitely never admit.

Mee-Yon bowed her head slightly. "Mianhae…"

Jun-Seo sighed. "No, it's OK. Mian…," and then he was silent again.

...

After an entire revolution of the ferris wheel—and after Mee-Yon had given up all hope that he was going to talk to her, Jun-Seo spoke again. "Noona, do you…like that guy?"

Mee-Yon blinked a few times in bewilderment. "Who, Aidan?"

"Yes," he muttered, without looking at her.

Mee-Yon paused, lowering her eyes as she pondered that question. And she felt her cheeks warm at the memory of early that morning, with Aidan.

Jun-Seo glanced over, clenching his mouth as he studied her. And she turned her face from him, so he didn't see the sudden touch of rosiness to her cheeks. "Um, sure…he's really nice," she mumbled.

Jun-Seo clenched his jaw and gripped the bar tighter. "Well, do you…think he's…cute or something?"

Mee-Yon gaped, unable to believe Jun-Seo would ask her such a thing. She emitted a nervous laugh. "Get real! Stop joking around, Jun-Seo," and she gave him a light shove.

"I'm serious. Do you think he's cute?" Jun-Seo rolled his eyes and punched the word 'cute' in annoyance.

Mee-Yon released a heavy sigh and looked down at her hands upon the bar. "I don't know...," she shrugged. "Why?"

And she turned back to Jun-Seo. This time he turned away, so she couldn't see his face.

"I don't know!" he blurted out. "I guess because…I don't…want you to get hurt, Noona."

Mee-Yon smiled faintly, yet she was still very confused. "Why would I get hurt, Jun-Seo?"

"Well, if that jerk—that guy—if he…I don't know…he just might…hurt you somehow…"

Mee-Yon pursed her lips. "Gomawo, Jun-Seo, but…I won't get hurt because…Aidan and I are just friends. I'm not expecting Aidan to like me or anything, so, it doesn't matter if I like him or think he's cute."

But Jun-Seo wasn't entirely satisfied with her answer. He needed to know! Yet, he didn't really want to know…

"But he's been flirting with you all evening!" Jun-Seo thoughtlessly shouted out.

Mee-Yon shook her head immediately. "No, he hasn't been. He's just a really friendly guy."

Yeah, a little too friendly if you ask me, Jun-Seo thought.

"I didn't think he was doing that at all," Mee-Yon added. "And I appreciate your concern, Jun-Seo, but let's be realistic here," and there was a sadness to her tone. "You don't need to worry. I won't get hurt because nothing is ever going to happen with Aidan…," she paused and raised her chocolate eyes skyward. "Why would someone like Aidan ever like someone like me? It's kind of ridiculous, isn't it?" and Mee-Yon gave a forced laugh.

Jun-Seo tightened his mouth. "Why would he not like you?! There's nothing wrong with you!" he blurted out. Jun-Seo immediately realized how freely he'd spoken, and he quickly looked away.

The corners of Mee-Yon's lips curled up slightly. "That's sweet, Jun-Seo," she spoke softly, as she put on a brave face.

And Jun-Seo was looking back at her, with an expression that was a mixture of sorrow and frustration.

Mee-Yon smiled at Jun-Seo, and she reached out to affectionately ruffle his hair. "Aw, sometimes you're really kind to your noona, Jun-Seo!"

Jun-Seo flushed. "Ya, don't mess it up!" he barked, as he looked away and smoothed out his wavy locks.

Mee-Yon chuckled. "Mianhae," and she grinned over at him.

And they were silent for the rest of the ride.


Meanwhile…

Eun-Jeong had been quiet on the ferris wheel, too. She just couldn't seem to get that nagging suspicion out of her head… And it didn't take long for Seok-Young to notice and question her about what was wrong.

She shook her head, indicating nothing.

"Are you angry with me?" he asked, after a moment of silence.

"No, Oppa."

"Then what is it?"

She paused. "It's just that…I think…Aria might…like you, Oppa."

Seok-Young pursed his lips together and let out a small sigh. "Yes, I kind of suspected it…" As Seok-Young had told Eun-Jeong before, he was not oblivious to the feelings of others—he knew quite well when a girl liked him.

Eun-Jeong opened to speak and then closed it again. After a few seconds, she worked up the courage again. "I know I'm foolish to worry about this, but…do you…," she looked away. "Like her, too?"

Seok-Young's lips parted and he met her eyes. "Eun-Jeong-ah…"

"Mianhae, Oppa… It's OK if you do, but I just need to know."

Seok-Young sharply exhaled and shook his head. Then, he turned her chin so she was looking at him. And he gave her the kind of look a parent gives a child who is being silly.

"Eun-Jeong-ah, what would make you think that?"

And Eun-Jeong suddenly felt guilty. "Well, you…," she looked away, unable to confess her ridiculous fears while looking at him. "…you put your arm around her…and she kissed you…and…," she shut , feeling increasingly stupid as she spoke.

Seok-Young sighed, and he ran a hand tenderly through Eun-Jeong's hair. "Eun-Jeong-ah, I was only standing up for Aria. I couldn't not do it because she is our friend, and it was just the right thing to do. But don't think that it meant anything. I only like Aria as a friend," he paused. "…It's you that I love."

"Oppa…," she stared into his eyes.

"Didn't you pay attention to the song?" he asked, with a wry smile.

Eun-Jeong shyly glanced away at the reminder of his beautiful words. "Of course, Oppa, but I didn't want to…assume that it was about me."

"Silly girl," he spoke with affection. "What am I going to do with you?" and Seok-Young gave her hair a playful ruffle. "Of course, it was about you. Who else could it have possibly been about?" he grinned.

Eun-Jeong gave him a happy smile.

"By the way, Oppa, that song…," and she sniffled upon feeling the tears forming again. "It was just…so…beautiful... I should have said something sooner, but gomawo… It really meant the world to me."

Seok-Young smiled. "Gomawo. I'm really glad you liked it. That was the song I wrote for you. I'm sorry for the way I revealed it to you… I was actually afraid you'd be upset with me for doing that."

"Of course not, Oppa. But, is that…really how you feel?"

He nodded readily, smiling. Eun-Jeong returned with a wide smile over her own, and then she snuggled against him and rested her head upon his shoulder.

Seok-Young put his arm around her, as she nestled closer. He kissed the top of her head and leaned his own against hers, while they enjoyed the view from the ferris wheel.


At the end of the ride, their parents picked them up and asked how their evening was.

"It was interesting…," Seok-Young spoke for the group, unsure how else to describe it.


That Night Before Bed, at the Yoon household…

Despite feeling reassured that Eun-Jeong only had feelings for him, Seok-Young couldn't shake Jun-Seo's words, nor Aidan's actions—all the signs he'd noticed that day that pointed to Aidan being interested in Eun-Jeong.

And for some reason, Jun-Seo hadn't been able to let it go—and he was still badgering Seok-Young about confronting Aidan. Seok-Young recalled another small conversation he'd had with Jun-Seo that evening.


"Can't you see that he's trying to take your woman away?" Jun-Seo exclaimed.

"My woman? Who talks like that Jun-Seo? Well, except for Il-Hun and Uncle Woo Bin. I think you've been hanging around them too much. Besides, I don't really think that's what he intends to do."

Jun-Seo scoffed. "I can't believe you're defending him, Hyung!"

"Me either. But I guess I can understand him a little bit." And Seok-Young recalled what Mee-Yon had told him that day about Aidan's parents. "He's…had a hard life."

"Oh, it must be soo hard for the big-time pop star—what with all the money and adoring fans and all!" Jun-Seo replied sarcastically.

Seok-Young smirked. "You can't really comment on that, Jun-Seo. You have money and adoring fans, too."

Jun-Seo nodded. "Well, whatever! But are you really just going to let him flirt with Mee-Yon and Eun-Jeong like that?"

"Worried about Mee-Yon again?" Seok-Young commented. Jun-Seo was silent.

And Seok-Young decided to let it go; he thought for a moment. "No, I'm not, actually. I'm going to deal with it."

"Good! Give him a piece of your mind, Hyung, or I swear I will!" And Jun-Seo raised a fist.

Seok-Young smirked. He stood before Jun-Seo and put a hand on his shoulder. "Before you go off and punch him in the face, let me talk to him. Maybe it's all a misunderstanding."


Even if Aidan never acted upon his apparent feelings, Seok-Young still felt the need to discuss it with him. So, he made the decision to politely confront Aidan about that day.

On the way to bed that night, Seok-Young stopped by the guestroom where Aidan was staying. He knew that Aidan had just entered, so he couldn't be was asleep yet.

Seok-Young knocked, and Aidan bid him enter.

"Can I talk to you?" Seok-Young asked.

"Sure. What's up?"

"Well, this is kind of embarrassing, but…"

Aidan waited patiently for Seok-Young to speak.

"Aidan, are you, by chance…interested…in Eun-Jeong?"

Aidan smiled in an amused fashion, and he gave a little chuckle.

"Excuse me, but I don't really see what is funny about that," Seok-Young replied rather coldly.

"Oh, it's not that it's funny. It's just that, I think you have misunderstood me, Yoon Seok-Young. Eun-Jeong is sweet and beautiful, but I'm not interested in her like that. I'm not trying to steal your girlfriend," and Aidan bowed. "I'm sorry that you got that impression."

Seok-Young gave a relieved sigh. He shook his head at himself and gave a little laugh. "Oh, of course. I feel so stupid. I'm sorry, Aidan."

"Forget it. But…," Aidan paused, "there is actually something I need to discuss with you."

"What is it?"

"Well," and Aidan took a deep breath. "…you were perceptive in picking up on my feelings. But they're not for Eun-Jeong…"

"What? Who are they for?"

"They're…for Mee-Yon," and Aidan released his breath. "It's Mee-Yon that I am interested in."

"Mee-Yon?" Seok-Young's brow furrowed. He turned from Aidan and took a few brisk steps before turning back to look at the pop star over his shoulder. "As in my baby sister Mee-Yon?"

Aidan nodded silently, shoving his hands into the pockets of his sweats.

Seok-Young turned away from him again and began to pace the room…


It all made sense now. How had he been so clueless? The signs had certainly been there, and when Seok-Young thought back on everything, he couldn't believe he didn't see it sooner. Even Jun-Seo had noticed. Seok-Young supposed he had been so preoccupied with the possibility that Aidan might have a thing for Eun-Jeong—his girlfriend—that he had neglected to consider that his sister might be the true object of Aidan's affection.

But it was clear now, and Seok-Young's mind immediately rewound to all those little indicators he should have picked up on… There was: Aidan rescuing Mee-Yon from Park Jung-Ho, Aidan showing off—as Jun-Seo had put it—at the games and the musical contest… It hadn't been for Eun-Jeong's benefit, but for Mee-Yon's… And come to think of it, Seok-Young now realized that Aidan hadn't been looking at Eun-Jeong while he performed that day—he must have been looking at Mee-Yon, who was standing right next to her.

Then, Seok-Young recalled the awkward breakfast that morning. He had noticed something then, but he'd dismissed it.


Seok-Young nodded, as the realization sunk in. And he felt uneasy. He turned resolutely back to look at Aidan. "Aidan, I need to ask this. Did something, by chance, happen between you and Mee-Yon?"

"Why would you think that?" the young pop star asked casually.

"Because…well, for one, Mee-Yon seemed kind of shy and embarrassed this morning at breakfast."

Aidan chuckled—recalling the night before and Mee-Yon's cute embarrassment—and he nodded. "Yes, I suppose she did."

Seok-Young felt his fist tightening at his side. "This isn't funny. Did something happen?" he repeated, doing his best to remain calm.

Aidan shrugged. "Well, it was no big deal, but there was a little…incident in my room this morning.

Seok-Young felt his control slipping, and he wanted to wipe the grin off Aidan's face. "Incident? What kind of incident?" Seok-Young growled. "Did something happen?! You better tell me if so!" and he got in Aidan's face slightly.

"Relax, Yoon Seok-Young," Aidan held up his hands. "Nothing happened, I promise you. It was completely innocent, but Mee-Yon came to my room to check on me early this morning after I had a nightmare, and she sort of…fell on me."

And Aidan had to work hard to stop his smile from forming at the memory.

"What?!"

"Don't worry. She just got up and we talked for a little while, and then she left. End of story."

Seok-Young glanced down and nodded.

"So, anyway, as I said, I like Mee-Yon. And...I'd like to date her."

Seok-Young's eyes shot to Aidan.

"But I wanted to talk to you about it before I tell her. Don't worry, I will certainly talk to your appa about this, but I wanted to ask your permission, too. I know how close you two are and how protective of her you are. I understand that better than most," Aidan chuckled. "I mean, you know how close I am with my sister, so I wanted to consider you on the matter."

"That is considerate of you, Aidan, but no," and Seok-Young punched out the word.

"No?" Aidan asked, incredulous.

"That's right, no."

"May I ask why?"

"First off, she's too young for you. And second, well, I just can't allow my sister to date someone like you, Aidan."

Aidan's brow furrowed, "Someone like me?"

"I don't mean to be rude. I don't think you're a bad guy, Aidan, and I don't have a problem with you—now that I know you're not after my girl—but this is my sister we're talking about…and you're…well, you're a pop star…"

"So?"

"Well, you have girls throwing themselves at you—sending you gifts and proclaiming their undying love for you—constantly. I don't want Mee-Yon mixed up in that. And, more importantly, you're going to be leaving soon. You are returning to the United States, aren't you?"

Aidan sighed. "Yes."

"Well, I just can't allow my sister to be set up to be hurt like that. And what is much worse, if you were thinking of having some fling with her while you're here, then you are gravely mistaken. I'm not a confrontational kind of guy, but I've already had to bust one guy in the face for hurting Mee-Yon-ah. I don't want to have to do it again."

"It's not like that at all," Aidan replied.

"Well, then it's the other problem. She's young, innocent, and impressionable, Aidan. Mee-Yon doesn't fall for someone often, but when she does, she falls hard. Her feelings for you will start to grow, and then she will be devastated when you leave. I can't let that happen."

"I understand and respect your feelings, Seok-Young, and I wanted to consider you because Mee-Yon looks up to you so much, but asking your permission was just a formality. I was just trying to be polite. I am going to pursue dating Mee-Yon, whether you agree or not."

And the two stared each other down for a brief, tense moment.

"I'm begging you, Aidan. Please, just let it go. Walk away."

Aidan sighed. "I can't, Seok-Young. I really like her. Mee-Yon treats me like a real person and not just some celebrity. She is loyal, genuine, and pure. And I've never met anyone quite like her. I know that I don't know her well, but so far, I really like everything I've seen."

"I know all those things about Mee-Yon. And I'm glad you see how wonderful and special she is. But if you see that, then you should do the right thing and walk away." Seok-Young shoved his hands into his pockets. "Don't be selfish, Aidan. Think of Mee-Yon-ah and what this could do to her…"

"I'm sorry, Seok-Young, but I haven't felt this way in a long time…maybe not ever…and I need to go with my heart. I can't look back and wonder what might have been. I just need to spend time with her to see what this could be…"

Seok-Young tightened his jaw. "I can't let you take that gamble with my sister. She needs a guy who is 100% certain of what could be, of his feelings, and of what she means to him. And more importantly, she needs a guy who lives here…"

"No relationship is guaranteed, Seok-Young. Don't be naïve. You can never be 100% sure that something will or won't work out—that's why dating exists—but I do know that I feel strongly in my heart that Mee-Yon and I could have something great, even if we have to do long-distance."

"Now who's being naïve, Aidan? Do you really think long-distance relationships work? Have you ever tried doing that?"

"No, but you never know til you try, right? Have you done it?"

"Well, no."

"Then how do you know it doesn't work?"

Damn you, Aidan Cho…

"Look, I just don't want to see my sister get hurt. And I hope you don't think I'll just stand by and watch it happen," Seok-Young assured, squeezing his knuckles.

"I don't plan on hurting her, Seok-Young. And I know you don't approve, but it's not really up to you, anyway. It's up to Mee-Yon and me to decide."

"No," Seok-Young shook his head. "Actually, it's up to our appa. And he is never going to allow it."

Seok-Young's one consolation right now was that Appa would never agree to such an insane proposition. He would die before allowing Mee-Yon to get hurt. And Mee-Yon would never disobey Appa.

"Well, I can't just give up. I have to try," Aidan said.

"Well, I wouldn't get your hopes up because it's never going to happen."

Aidan sighed and folded his arms across his chest, almost in challenge. "Well, I guess we'll see, now won't we?"

To Be Continued…


A/N: Thoughts? I hope this turned out alright. And I'm no songwriter, so I hope Seoky's song was OK. More of the parents in the upcoming chapters. I've been missing them. And you'll find out more about Byeong-Ho soon, too.Teaser

TeaserDespite Seok-Young's objections, Aidan pursues Mee-Yon and humbly asks Ji Hoo for permission to take her on a date. Will Ji Hoo agree? Now that their relationship is out, Eun-Jeong deals with jealous and spiteful girls. And Aidan warns Aria not to come between Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong.