Chapter 5: Explanations

Just A Little Bit of Your Heart

Chaeyoung

-----------------------

 

"So," Mina started off once Lisa had left. Chaeyoung knew where this was leading.

 

"Sorry about that, I haven't seen Lisa in forever," Chaeyoung responded. 

 

"Are you okay? Did you guys end on a bad note?" Mina seemed genuinely concerned for the other girl. Chaeyoung knew she should answer.

 

"We didn't end on a bad note, but she left during a rough patch in my life. Her suddenly showing up brought up bad memories," Chaeyoung replied. Mina, was luckily a smart girl and knew she shouldn't pry this early on.

 

"By the way, you never answered my question from earlier," Mina switched subjects. Chaeyoung was glad for it, but did it really have to be this question?

 

"Isn't serious talk like this supposed to be a second date kind of thing?" the cub teases.

 

"Oh, this is a date now? I thought you were so against the idea," Mina fired back with a smirk. Chaeyoung blushed and cleared . "Besides, I already met your friends, and that should be on later dates as well." Chaeyoung knew she had a point there.

 

"Touche, little penguin," Chaeyoung responded.

 

"Penguin?" Mina was confused at the nickname.

 

"You waddle like a penguin when you walk. It's cute." This response caused Mina to blush for a change. Chaeyoung was satisfied at this. She knew she was losing her badass edge around Mina, and that needed to change.

 

"I do not! Even if I do, it's because I've done ballet for 11 years," Mina told the cub. Chaeyoung found this particularly interesting. Mina had to be very in shape, right? Mina had to have abs, right? That's hot. Chaeyoung had to stop that train of thought from continuing. She would not become Sana gay.

 

"Stop distracting me, shortie. You still have to answer the question," Mina stated.

 

"Yah! I'm not that short!" Chaeyoung exclaimed haughtily. Mina just looked on at the thief, expectantly. Chaeyoung just sighed because she knew there was no getting out of this one.

 

"I don't have a good home life, and the money I get from stealing makes it less hard on my mom and I. Originally the idea was to be a modern day Robin Hood, but after you commit the crime, you're in it, you know? No matter the reason, you are a criminal. You become a criminal," Chaeyoung stated solemnly.

 

"I'm sorry to hear about that, It must be difficult," Mina empathized. Mina may not agree at all with what Chaeyoung was doing, and she knew Chaeyoung was still a criminal. However, Mina found it hard to fault the girl when she knew the true motive behind the actions. Hard situations can drive even the most innocent into darkness. Mina had seen it all too many times in the characters of the video games she would play.

 

Chaeyoung could see a genuine look of understanding and empathy in her fake girlfriend's eyes, and for once, she was extremely glad that if she had to get caught, it was Mina that caught her. The girl seemed to truly care as to what Chaeyoung was saying thus far, and for some reason, she saw something in Chaeyoung. The girl didn't report her for attempting to steal from her house, and the penguin agreed to be her fake girlfriend in order to keep the thievery a secret. What did Mina gain from any of this? Why did she keep going along with what Chaeyoung asked of her? Chaeyoung wasn't sure, but she was thankful.

 

"Why did you steal from my house though?" Mina asked the short haired girl, pulling her from her thoughts.

 

"We picked a street, and looked for the most deserted, semi well off house," Chaeyoung explained. "That house just happened to be yours at the time. I am sorry about that, by the way. And thank you for not reporting me." Mina smiled which really made Chaeyoung melt inside.

 

"Don't worry about it. You didn't mess up my house, and you didn't actually steal anything from me. While I don't agree with your methods, I understand them," Mina said, causing Chaeyoung immense relief. This girl was too pure for a punk like her.

 

"Is that why you keep agreeing to my ideas? Or is there a catch?" Chaeyoung asked. 

 

"There is no catch, I just want to help you. But, I want you to quit stealing," Mina told her seriously. Quit stealing? Was Mina serious?

 

"I can't, I still have to help my mom," Chaeyoung instantly rebutted.

 

"You can get a job like any normal person, you know,"  Mina suggested. "Besides, if you don't quit stealing, I will tell Tzuyu the real reason behind you climbing into my house."

 

"What the hell? Why would you do that?" Chaeyoung felt threatened, anger being the immediate response. 

 

"Chaeyoung, I understand why you steal. But it's still a crime, and I don't want to have any association with something that could bring me down too. Not to mention, you could be stealing from someone that is less fortunate than you are. What if you steal the life savings from someone that works three jobs, huh?" Mina expanded.

 

Chaeyoung was still mad that this girl was threatening her with the cops. But, Chaeyoung also understood Mina's logic. It could reflect poorly on the girl's reputation if she continued to steal. Chaeyoung just sighed because she knew what she would have to do now.

 

"Fine, you win. I have no other choice anyway," Chaeyoung relented. "Now, what is your favorite color?"

 

The two stayed in the cafe for two hours after that, learning more about one another. Chaeyoung was growing to really like Mina so far. Aside from the girl making her change her entire lifestyle, Chaeyoung knew there were worse fake girlfriends she could have had, by far. The only thing that really irked Chaeyoung is the fact that Mina had some sort of hold over her. She couldn't say no to anything that Mina would ask of her. Mina had a way of seeing past Chaeyoung's edge, causing the girl to drop any walls she may have otherwise had. Mina was making Chaeyoung soft around her, and that was terrifying in a way. Chaeyoung didn't know who she was behind the wall.

 

Later that night, Chaeyoung changed the contact name in her phone to 'My Penguin', and didn't really mind it all that much, even if Mina wasn't really hers.

 

Mina changed her contact information a bit too, but Mina blushed when "Midget" turned into "My Tiger Cub<3".

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys! Here is a very brief update. I know it is short, and I know there aren't any romance scenes yet, but I promise it's on its way. I've had a long two weeks with college and especially getting ready for the holidays. I didn't want to keep you guys waiting forever, so this is as much as I've been able to write thus far. I have finally decided on the set in stone path that I want to take with this. So, definitely be looking out for some more chapters after the craziness of the holidays are over! Please bear with me until then.  I hope you all have a happy holiday season! Take care!

 

-Audrey