Chapter 18: These Legs are Made for Running

The University Heartbreaker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Wow. 

Did holy mastermind Bobby do anything at all? Because, I’m not seeing any of the results. How long does he want me to wait?

Another two weeks? 

This is beyond insane.

Yet, a better question comes to mind at this very moment– who can stay angry for this long? It just couldn’t be healthy. Not for Skull Pounder and especially, not for me. Mentally, I am suffering. 

As the soles of our feet pounded against the cement of the path to create some distance from us and Skull Pounder, I try to ignore how my panting clearly shows how unfit I am. For someone who runs all the time, there is no excuse as to why I can’t keep up with the pace. And Skull Pounder issue aside, I’m almost embarrassed to admit that I need a break from the exertion. 

My adrenaline is also wearing off. 

And, the lack of oxygen to my brain must be getting to me because I gain a sense of… giving up. Me, a wuss her whole life, has decided enough. 

Weird, right?

“Oh, forget this,” I manage to sputter in between my heavy breathing. “Let’s stop.”

“Stop, what?” Hanbin asks, clearly unable to understand these words that are coming out of my mouth. Surely, it’s unheard of for me to insist on not running anymore. Me, being assertive in any situation, is a foreign concept. 

“Running.”

“You’re the one that told us to run.”

Despite Hanbin’s reminder, I pull us to a stop. 

Hanbin looks at me, confused by my sudden announcement and actual follow through. Trying to recover from my fatigue, I place my hands on my hips and bend slightly backwards to inhale a big breath to dispel my dizziness caused by the whole sprinting. Leaving Hanbin in his spot (he’s not even the tiniest bit out of breath and it pisses me off), I spin around to see Skull Pounder also slowing to a halt a few feet away from us. 

I got to say– how he carries all that muscle is impressive. 

Unexpectedly, he doesn’t go into his usual raging like the many other times. It almost looks like he is giving me a chance to regain my footing. But, that couldn’t be it. He wouldn’t be Skull Pounder if he shows such mercy unfitting of his name and reputation. 

With closer inspection, I take notice of something else then. He strangely does not appear angry at all. 

I’ve only ever known him to be angry. I’m a little thrown off here. 

Yet, I will not put down my guard. 

“You,” I snap and point at him, “Before we start throwing hands, I have something to say.” If I am going to get my head knocked in tonight, I want to make sure I get a chance to say what’s on my mind while I still can. If this is all going to end the same way, what do I have to lose?

Absolutely nothing.

Despite me unintentionally giving him a chance to retort with my panting, he doesn’t take it. He actually doesn’t say anything as his chest heaves with each breath. 

Even weirder, right?

“Jiwoo, I don’t think that’s going to work,” Hanbin whispers from behind. “I think your plan of running way is a better one.”

“Shush,” I hush him. 

I know what I’m doing. 

“I have had enough,” I declare. “I will not put my life on hold because of you.” Somehow during the five minute sprint, I have reached an epiphany. I have only two days– a day and a half left with Hanbin and I will not let this monster take up a single second of it. “And, leave your ex-girlfriend alone. She has told you so many times that she wants nothing to do with you. Listen to her for once, for God’s sakes!” I didn’t mean to yell but, it comes out naturally as I’m trying not to run out of breath in between my words. “Why do men not listen? It’s like their ears are made for decoration even though it’s all the same anatomy,” I trail off in thought. 

I am not defending Sungmin because I have somehow started to like her, rather, I'm doing it because I am a fellow woman. 

Since I have center stage, I might as well.

“I’m not here to talk about that,” he finally says. 

“I know.” He’s obviously not the type to be reasoned with by using words. We couldn’t be more incompatible. “I know exactly why you’re here right now.”

“I’m not here to get violent,” he clarifies. 

“You!–,” I pause in my yelling. “You, what?” I manage to gasp much softer. 

Did I somehow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter