Chapter 13: The Boy is Mine

The University Heartbreaker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dear G-Rain, 

There is a girl I’m really into but there is one problem- I’m allergic to cats and she happens to not only love them but owns one… what am I supposed to do?

Sincerely,

Pollen is my Kryptonite

 

To: Pollen is my Kryptonite

Take some antihistamines.  

Sincerely,

G-Rain

“Are you already back for more letters?” 

I don’t look over my shoulder to acknowledge the club’s president and just nod my head. 

“That was quick. You finished all 20 from last time?”

I nod once more while an indescribable feeling gnaws at the pit of my stomach. Obviously, I try my best to do the only reasonable thing- ignore it. 

“Jiwoo, you’re such a wonderful and hard worker.”

Is he going to continue?

“You always follow through-,”

“Alright, fine!” I spin around in order to face him. “Stop guilting me.” It seems ignoring the feeling just won’t do after all. 

He stares at me like a deer caught in headlights. “Huh?”

“I didn’t do all of them,” I said before throwing my hand in my backpack to pull out the solely neglected letter. I nearly crumple it in my hand at the thought of answering it and making my current situation worse.

From who?

Tired from Crying. 

“I know,” he responds before lifting another letter up to show me. “Another one was dropped off so I figured-,”

“Wait,” I prevent him from continuing. “Dropped off? Like, in person?’

“Yeah. Apparently, she really wanted an answer.” 

I gasp lightly to myself. “They’re closing in,” I mutter before rushing out of the office. 

“Jiwoo! You can’t just ignore letters! It’s your job to answer-,”

I luckily get far away enough down the hall to no longer hear him guilt tripping me into actually doing what he wanted and my job. But, it’s just one letter. I’m literally doing 95% of the job. But, his response would be, it’s still under 100%. Yeah, but you know what? If this was a class, I would still get an A. 

Without actually identifying the fear first, I instinctively jolt at the sight of someone who merely resembled Skull Pounder in the muscle aspect out of the corner of my eyes. I thank my stars to find it’s only another meat head.

Geez, I gotta get out of here and function like a normal university student.

***

Walking through the front door of my apartment, I stop dead in my tracks and my mind works quickly to figure out the current situation. I had received no heads-up prior to coming home. But, am I surprised? No.

“Oh, you’re home sooner than I was told you’re going to be,” Bobby says. 

“No warning?” I mimic his words from yesterday.

“This was your warning.” 

I should have expected such of a response.

“Oh! Jiwoo, you’re home,” Sanghee greets me as she leaves the kitchen. At the same time, Suah, Donghyuk, and Mino’s gang join us in the living room. 

“Why… is everyone all dressed?” I ask now that I’m having a good look at everyone. 

“We’re meeting up with Hanbin and Jinhwan at some food place.”

“When did I agree that this apartment is the meeting up place?”

“Suah and Sanghee agreed,” Bobby merely responds casually. “So, hurry and get dressed.”

“They have your favorite foods there, Jiwoo,” Sanghee says in an attempt to convince me. “You know, the oily and fried stuff that you like-,”

“Give me 15 minutes,” I answer and head towards my bedroom. I’m assuming they didn’t think I would go so easily by the surprised whispers that filled the living room once I closed my door.

***

Unconsciously, I take a deep breath. 

Jiwoo, you have made your wants known so don’t you dare turn back on your words. 

Even my inner voice is brutal. 

The ‘food place’ was a food tent in town at a marketplace. It appears this was a weekend event that is pretty popular and quite anticipated. There were a ton college students hanging out. And, when they said we were going to meet ‘Hanbin and Jinhwan’, they left out the part that Jaewon and his sister was also invited. 

Luckily, everyone at the table was pretty consumed by the food and drinks to notice my hesitation. 

“I don’t know how they found out,” Sanghee whispers in my direction. 

Suah leans over on my other side to add, “I let it slip with Jaewon.”

Slip? I watch her go back to eating, thinking I have forgiven her without her actually apologizing. She’s so lucky I like her and need her to help pay for rent. 

Contrasting my initial fears, the hangout carried on without being eventful. That was until drunk Sanghee gets up to sit beside Donghyuk, leaving the precious seat beside me available. It falsely advertised that I was open for communication. As everyone is hazy from the various drinks they consumed, they didn’t take notice of one person who was hoping to talk to me all night. 

Jaein gently takes the empty seat. 

“Are you having fun?” she asks with a smile. 

There goes my plan to avoid her but I suppose since she is talking to me I shouldn’t just ignore her. I turn in her direction with a nod. “Are you?”

But, this isn’t right either.

What s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter