Chapter 15: Sweeter than Ice Cream

The University Heartbreaker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hanbin didn’t say much- in fact, he merely said that he would wait for my text. After that, he left me to handle my own matters. Something that I really appreciated. 

Stepping outside and away from the noisy cafeteria, I find myself alone with Sungmin (better known as Big ) for the first time in forever. Regrettably, the situation brings flashbacks of her tormenting me during high school back to mind.

Meeting her eyes, I see her scrutinizing me. “Are you G-Rain?”

I immediately snort and wave off her comment. “N-no, I only work in the same office.”

“I figured,” her tone takes a condescending turn. “There’s no way you would be someone so cool.”

Gee, she certainly turned over a new leaf since the last time I dealt with her. 

If I were to be honest in this moment right here, it would kill her. And, it is so tempting to just see the look on her face when she finds out that I’m the person she idolizes. The person that is giving the advice that she craves-,

“What do you want?”

Her question snaps me back to reality. “Listen, your ex-boyfriend is terrorizing G-Rain.” I wasted no time to be straight to the point. Time has become really precious to me. 

“You’re kidding.”

“Wish I were. He’s upset you two broke up and is taking it out on her.”

“So, G-Rain is female-,”

“Or him,” I lamely try to save myself.

Her eyes light up at the slip of my tongue.

“Anyways, I have a favor to ask.” I try to revert our attention back on the topic at hand.

“I don’t want to get back with him,” she explains. “G-Rain told me so and I agree. He doesn’t deserve me.”

“I’m not asking you to.” I wouldn’t wish that upon anyone even if it is Sungmin. Bless my heart. “I’m asking you not to send any more letters that pertain to your relationship with your ex-boyfriend.”

“But, I really need help with my problems and it’s an advice column open to the school’s population.”

“G-Rain has to answer every letter and he or she doesn’t want to make the situation worse with your ex-boyfriend with his or her advice. It’s putting him or her in a tough spot.” 

Wow, making sure to keep my identity anonymous is tiring my mouth out. 

“I didn’t realize that.”

“Well, now you do.”

“But, what should I do? He has been bothering me nonstop. No matter what I say, he is not taking my ‘no’ as an answer-,”

I place my hand up. “Please don’t involve me either.”

“God, how are you still in a relationship when you lack such empathy?”

Excuse me. Did she say I lack empathy? She is the one who bullied me in high school without thinking of my feelings and she’s picking on me because I don’t want anything to do with her? 

I certainly have some issues I need to deal with. 

“How does Hanbin put up with you?”

This time, I decide not to fight fire with fire. “I don’t know myself,” I sigh.

She scoffs and folds her arms upon her chest. 

“Anyways, that’s all I need to say. Just think about G-Rain.” I have never been more glad to have kept my identity a secret than this moment right here. Because it was this secret that would get Sungmin (who seems to have some vendetta against me) to help me. 

***

Getting home, I (unfortunately) find a full living room. A huge contrast to my original expectations of… actually, I really was just expecting an empty home like this morning. And, I don’t want to be the one that says it but, “We are hanging out too much.”

My comment brings laughter. “Aw, don’t say that, Jiwoo.”

Why aren’t they taking me seriously?

“Did you have plans?” Bobby asks.

I sense that he knows something is going on and he’s playing with me again. “In fact, yeah, I do.” 

“What kind of plans?” Sanghee asks. 

“Just… plans.” Why are they being so nosy?

Trying to guess what my vague words may mean, all of their eyes zero towards the grocery bags hanging from my wrists. 

“Were you going to cook?” Mino asks. “That doesn’t look like there would be enough for all of us.”

Obviously. “Yeah, I didn’t know I would have to prepare food for all of you-,”

“Do we get to taste your cooking?”

“Wow! What are you making?”

“I’m so hungry!” 

Why… did it turn out like this? Dropping the bags on the ground, I turn around and open the front door. 

“Where are you going?”

“To get more groceries to feed all of your mouths,” I respond before leaving. But, not before I heard cheers. 

Yeah, whoo-hoo. 

Once stepping outside, someone arrives just in time. I stop in my steps just as Hanbin comes within feet of me. How is he only arriving now? Did he not get the memo from the fools in the apartment?

“I was at the gym,” he answers like he could hear my thoughts. 

“How big are you planning to get?” I ask with curiosity. 

“I’m just maintaining.”

He said that like I understood what he meant. 

“Where are you going?” he wonders. 

“To the groceries.”

He looks down at his watch. “I thought you would be cooking by now.”

“I actually would have been but...,” I begin to say as I nod towards the apartment. “Everyone is over.”

“What? Did you invite them?” Unhappiness coats his words. 

“Am I someone who would want to cook for so many people?”

“No,” he answers.

“I have no choice now.”

“They can’t just interrupt-,” he walks past me in the midst of his words as I reach out to pull him back. 

“No tantrum you plan on throwing would do anything.” Meeting his eyes, I breathe out. “Just come with me to the store.”

He steals one last glance of my apartment before giving into me. The both of us easily make the short walk (back, in my case) to the closest store and Hanbin grabs the shopping cart. Falling behind him, I can’t help but remember we used to do this all the time whenever he or I visit one another. 

“So, what are you making?” he asks as we walk past aisles. 

“Rice and soup.”

He stops mid-step, causing me to do the same. 

“What kind of soup?”

“Does it matter?” I ask while already knowing the answer to my own question. 

He shakes his head.

As long as Hanbin gets to eat rice with any soup, he would enjoy it. “What are you feeling for?”

“Kimchi.”

I nod my head. “Anything else?” 

“Nope.”

It took no time before we managed to gather all of the (same) ingredients and start heading back. Without hesitation, Hanbin reaches out and takes the rest of the plastic bags from my hands. 

“I can hold some, Hanbin.” I try to help but he only moves away from my reach. 

“My muscles aren’t just for decorations,” he comments. 

My brows furrow. “Who said that?”

“You did,” he shoots back. 

“I’ve only ever thought it,” I defend myself. I wouldn’t have said it out loud. 

He merely clicks his tongue, clearly offended anyhow. “I can’t believe we can’t manage to have dinner with just us.”

I can only sigh. 

“This isn’t a secret, right?”

“What do you mean? Of course, the dinner isn’t a secret.”

“That’s not what I’m saying- this thing with us… it isn’t a secret, right?” he clarifies and repeats. 

“… No.” What’s with the question?

As soon as we got to the apartment, I finally get my answer. 

“Get out, you jerks. This is my time with Jiwoo.”

I stare at him in pure disbelief. Didn’t I already tell him that no tantrum would get them to listen?

“Except you, Suah. You get to stay since this is your apartment too and all,” he adds. “But, can you stay in your room?”

Those who were unaware, stared between the both of us with eyes wide. By ‘those’, I meant everyone but Bobby. How he manages to stay in the loop really infuriates me. I can never take him by surprise. It’s like my life is so predictable to him. 

I narrow my eyes at Bobby while I earn a sly smile.  

“Wait… so, the break up isn’t in effect anymore?” Seunghoon is the first to ask. 

“Did you two decide to get back together?” Sanghee joins i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter