Chapter 1: The Post-Breakup

The University Heartbreaker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dear G-Rain, 

I have been bothered by this issue for a while now and I just don’t know what to do anymore – my boyfriend of two years cheated on me and has been begging me to take him back. I am still so hurt by his actions and don’t know if I could ever trust him again. But, I can’t deny the fact that I still love him. What should I do?

Sincerely, 
Tired from Crying


To: Tired from Crying,

He wasn’t thinking about you when he was cheating. Dump his . 

Sincerely,
G-Rain

I didn’t ever think I would be saying this but I have become quite a household name at my University. 

When I figured that I needed a job in my fourth and final year of undergrad and when I saw the ‘hiring’ sign on one of the buildings’ announcement board, I didn’t think it would a job that people thought I was good at it – I mean, I was certain that I wouldn’t be good at it. And I wasn’t going to particularly try my best at it either – I was aiming for bare minimum. For one brief moment, I thought I would single-handedly be responsible for destroying all hopes of it recovering. But, they told me all I needed to do was read some letters and make the responses sound legit.

That was it.

To be honest, I was half-assing it. The whole time. I’m not proud to say it but this was the truth. Yet, unpredictably, the column that was left to die along with the school’s newspaper club – due to the lack of people actually reading news in paper form (‘cause technology and 'cause news) – was suddenly revived overnight. Even now, I still don’t understand the hype surrounding the column.

It’s terribly written. I can admit that myself. 

I mean, you’ve seen it. If I were to describe my responses, you would immediately realize how careless and indifferent they were. Yet, they love it. 

And, they demand it. 

But, hey, as long as I was getting paid.

And, for as long as I can remember, my words weren’t ever the reason for me getting into trouble. That thought never crosses my mind – but, it all changes one day. 

It all changed because of the stupid mail sent in by Tired from Crying. 

…And, also – well – because of my response. 

***

“Get dressed.”

Reluctantly, I paused my drama mid-way to look at the face that peeked into my bedroom. When I offer no response from where I was sitting in my bed, Suah steps inside and crosses her arms upon her chest. Her usual stoic expression now replaced with pure annoyance. 

Wow, that rarely happens. How bad did I mess up this time?

“I’m going to need more details than that,” I point out calmly. “Like, a reason.”

“We’re going on a group blind date – “

“No,” I couldn’t have been clearer than that. But, I’ll repeat it. Just in case. “No.” Suah knows how much I despise those socializing events and we both know how bad I am at it. 

“You don’t even like dramas and you’re watching it.”

“Your point?”

“You have nothing else better to do.”

Oh. I chuckled. “I can easily list at least a hundred things that I can do tonight then go to some group blind date.”

Predictably, the face she makes in return does nothing to change my mind. She can judge me all she wants, she can be annoyed with me all she wants but never, never would I – 

***

 

“What’s your name?”

It was an easy question. One where, for some reason, makes me remember the warning Suah gave me before she and I stepped foot into this karaoke parlor. 

At least look pleasant. 

I’ll try to keep that in mind. But, no promises -  I remember saying.

“Jiwoo…and yours?” I found myself being kept accompanied by an equally single young college student while loud music continued on in the background. It was unwanted attention but I couldn’t find it in myself to be blunt about it. Somehow through the night, females and males have broken up into pairs. 

“Hajoon,” he replies. 

…I know I said I wasn’t going to come with her.

But, Suah was extremely persuasive in her own way. 

Now, she can be responsible when I ruin everyone’s night with my sour look. Or maybe the room is dark enough to keep it hidden.

How unfortunate. 

“Why are you not singing, Hajoon?” I asked, not with interest, just wanting him to kinda leave me alone. So, I’ll find him something to do if he couldn’t on his own. That way, I can just stay busy with my own misery until the night ends. 

“Only if you sing a song with me.” 

I’m assuming that was his attempt at flirting with me. I’m not touched, in the least. No blushing for this girl. 

“I’m not…really a singing type.” I never was and never will be. 

“But, we’re at a karaoke parlor,” he chuckles. “What else do we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter