Chapter 2: The Reunion

The University Heartbreaker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dear G-Rain,

I really can’t believe I’m doing this - my neighbor that lives next door has been throwing “housewarming parties” every weekend for the past month since he has moved in. At this point, I’m not sure if there is a way to stop it – am I left with any options beside moving out? Because I’m so close to doing it. 

Sincerely,
Running on Three Hours of Sleep

To: Running on Three Hours of Sleep,

Return the favor. If you can’t sleep, they don’t get to sleep either. 

Sincerely,
G-Rain

 

I have come to realize that I could be spiteful, if I wanted to be. 

Effortlessly. 

If I should say so myself, it comes naturally. I am also very good at thinking life will run its course as I am and will always be a huge believer of karma. Retribution will come to those who deserve it. 

So, when things go wrong for me…I start to reflect on what I had been doing all this time to deserve it. 

***

“Isn’t it weird that our school has an earlier break while every other school has one exactly a week after?”

I didn’t know how to respond to that random thought. “Are you really trying to make small talk, Jaewon?”

Even in our senior year, Jaewon has somehow managed to gain my favor and stay in my good graces. We’ve come a long way from freshman year when I was hiding in bushes to avoid him. Now, my days can be depicted with studying sessions together in the library, movie nights on the weekends, people watching at parties, and lunch when we had breaks between classes. 

So, if I wasn’t spending time with Suah, Jaewon took up my free time. 

We have a mutualistic relationship. I needed a friend and he needed someone to laugh at.

It works out. 

“How was the group date?” 

Wow. It only took him a second before he gave into the temptation. But, I knew it was coming. “I rather not talk about it.”

He clicks his tongue while looking at me, “you don’t have a knack for it.”

“Now, I just have to convince Suah the same,” I comment before going back to my classwork and while hoping he would just drop the subject for the time being. I would hate to be distracted from a class that I paid hundreds of dollars for. 

But, Jaewon didn’t appear so concerned by the fact. 

“So, what happened?”

He wasn’t going to drop it. “I scared him away.” Thinking about it now, it felt pretty good. I think the screaming was just something I wanted to do for a while now. Frustrations and pent up anger should be screamed into the wind. 

He smiled brightly. Maybe it was my misery that was bringing such an expression to his face. 

I shot him a pointed look, “I’m glad at least one of us is enjoying the story.”

“How long has it been?”

I peeked up from my work to meet his eyes once more, “how long has what been?”

“The breakup.”

If I have knack for ruining blind dates, he has a knack for stabbing at my heart when I forget to guard it. “If we count the break too, I would say about nine months now.”

“Nine months and you can’t bounce back?”

I guess it was a fair point. It was only three months shy of a year. It should be enough time for things to start healing and for me to start being able to talk about the topic without feeling weird about it but, I felt like I haven’t made such improvements. “I’m confused about that part too.”

After parting ways, I arrive at my part-time job and my appearance draws smiles and bright greetings. It may have something to do with them believing I was the savior of their little newspaper club. 

Again, a mutualistic relationship. I needed to get paid and they strangely like my anonymous column (that I’m totally not serious with). 

Taking my seat at the usual desk I work from, someone drops off a pile of mail sent in for G-Rain. I offer my thanks and get started on my work. Though, I said I was no good at it, I never said I didn’t enjoy it. 

In a way, it’s nice to recognize that there are things other people are going through just like you. It puts things into perspective. 

Flipping through one letter after another, I decide I would be able to get them all done in a few hours and definitely before dinner. 

Awesome.

I didn’t need Jaewon showing up here to make a scene like last time. My co-workers didn’t have to know I was hanging out with someone as dramatic as him. 

As the first hour pass and as I am making real progress with my responses, interruptions are imminent. For example – a personal example, th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter