Chapter 19: Can Time Stop for a Moment?

The University Heartbreaker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

If I thought I was going to knock out in my bed after my shower, I was terribly, terribly wrong. Sleep has no business with me tonight. It appears my mind had other plans. Plans that did not include resting but rather, overthinking.  

This isn’t the end of the world, Jiwoo. 

I chant over and over in my head. Maybe I can tire myself out. 

Hanbin isn’t going to be far–,

A knock on the front door to the apartment spurs my attention. Ripping the comforter away from my face, I take a look at the time on the clock. It’s midnight. I think there should be a rule that ensures that there are no visitors past midnight. Seeing how I’m probably the only one awake (not by choice), I leave my bedroom for the front door. 

Opening it, someone leans in and steals a kiss. 

In shock, I jump back and place my hand over my mouth. Looking across from me, I see the grinning culprit and my hand falls away from my face. 

“Hanbin?” 

I take it back. Midnight shall remain rule-less. 

But, wait– I thought he was heading home to rest and continue his packing?

“It’s tomorrow. It’s the beginning of our last day together,” he announces.

“Huh?”

He takes a look at his watch. “We should take advantage of whatever time we have together, right?”

“Right,” I answer without much thought. 

“Grab a jacket, Jiwoo.”

“Where are we going?”

“Does it matter?”

I can confidently say that it, in fact, does not.

***

Hanbin returns to the table and slides over the mug of hot tea for me and takes a sip from his own cup of coffee.

“We need fuel,” he says upon settling in his chair. 

Hanbin demanded caffeine. His goal was to actually stay up all night and I was crazy enough to go along with it. There’s no way this is going to be an idea that we would still feel is a good one in the morning. 

So, what were we going to do until morning?

“What should we do?” he leans forward to ask the question on my mind. 

Stay at this 24-hour campus café until then and while sharing each other’s company– I suppose. “Why don’t you tell me everything that is on your mind?”

“Everything?” Hanbin peers back at me. 

I shrug. “Sure.” 

He sits back into his chair and I may be mistaken but, it looks like he’s winding himself up to do just that. 

“You know, you made me mad when you told me to take my clothes that day. I was happy when I found out you had kept them.”

Yikes, I walked myself right into this one. 

So, I responded, “You made me mad when you told me to just throw them away.”

He chuckles. “That day when I saw you hugging Jaewon, I only hugged you because I hated thinking about the last person who hugged you would be Jaewon.”

“That explains a lot.” Makes complete sense when I think about how Hanbin is. 

“I hated it when that guy was insulting you at the bar.”

“The guy from my group blind date?” 

“I can’t believe you went on blind dates.”

“So, did you,” I point out.

“But, I didn’t care about them,” he mutters unhappily. 

“You wouldn’t want to be on a blind date with me,” I reveal. “Not when I’m uninterested.”

He grows curious. “What did you do? That made him react like that when he saw you?”

“I screamed.”

“You… screamed?”

“He kept talking and talking and talking… so, I… just screamed,” I answer with a shrug. “To get him to stop talking.”

There was a moment of silence before Hanbin cracks up. “Why can I imagine that?”

“Because, that’s exactly what I would do.”

Hanbin’s chuckles come to a stop and a smile take its place. But, it was kind of a rueful smile. “When I decided to end things with you– at the time, all I could about is what I wanted to change about you and knew I wouldn’t be able to.”

Well, I could name a few things that I knew Hanbin had a hard time dealing with. 

“When we would talk, you would leave things out. I figured that you probably deemed them as unimportant. But, I started to feel like I wasn’t in your life anymore,” he reveals. “I didn’t know what you were up to or what you were doing… I felt distant,” he further explains. 

“I’m sorry.” I really did mean it. I didn’t realize how Hanbin was feeling. “I’m sorry I didn’t try to understand.”

I don’t think he wanted to hear an apology but, I felt like it was needed.

“I think it had to happen,” I continue. “This break-up.”

“I didn’t mean to hurt you so bad, Jiwoo.”

“I know.” And, I really did. Hanbin may be many things but, never a person who would intentionally hurt me. 

Hanbin recovers his smile, wanting to be more uplifting. “When Chanwoo heard we broke up, he actually thought he had a chance.”

I chuckle. “He’s in high school now, right?”

“Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter