The Beginning That Hasn't Begun

Phantasmata
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

| Beginning.  Everything just started in a blink of an eye.|

 

-/-

It has been a day since the 'monstrous' girl last visited him. For a brief time since they've met each other, she was always there to tell him what he should and shouldn't do. Her absence makes him quite incomplete though he denies it himself. They have a purely professional relationship to maintain, if he doesn't he'll definitely be dead (literally!). The only good thing is that he could look for a job with ease without her pressuring words. However, is it really easy as he thought it is? Yesterday, he passed his curriculum vitae to 10 companies yet he hasn't received any calls or texts from them. Is he that stupid that none of them wanted to hire him? He has to finish looking for job prospects tomorrow and expect for job interviews the next two days. But, how could he do that? His hope just ended with a disappointed sigh.

He scratched the back of his head before ranting, "Matt! What happened to your charms? Aigoo! I used my best, should I say my most formal-looking photo? I even put my decent credentials like my prestigious school and my internship in our company. How can they be remain unimpressed with that? Hayy! If that woman could just help me, things wouldn't be as hard as this. Where the heck is she? I wish she doesn't forget that we're partners and we'll both definitely benefit from this if I happen to succeed. Tschh!"

His phone which was placed beside his laptop suddenly blinked. "Now who is this bastard who messaged me this time? Spare me from the stupid spam messages! I don't think it's from those companies. Arghh!" he yelled as he opened his phone. It was a photo of a handwritten letter sent by an anonymous sender. The letter says:

Mr. Matthew Kim Woojin,

I hope you're taking your task seriously. Definitely, you MUST. You know what consequences you'll face if in case you don't. I know that you're having a hard time on looking for a job and five days wouldn't be enough (with that brain of yours) for a spoiled brat stupid eccentric someone like you who haven't done anything like that before. It is undeniable that we'll BOTH benefit from this thing and I will never forget about it. Our agreement is of my highest priority, I wish you do the same too. Being partners needs to have cooperation and I believe I've done my part in your first task. Nonetheless, you refused it  which made me think of another way to satisfy your foolishness wish. Kindly be reminded by that. I hope you don't find it offensive though. Should your mind change and want to consider my initial help, I'd be welcome to offer it to you again. Yuck, what am I saying? See you then.

 

 

P.S. It is my utmost (as if!) wish to see you succeed in all of  your tasks. It's not like I  have a choice.

P.P.S. I believe I didn't break the 3rd clause with this. You're not blind, right?

 

Yours (Of course not!) Unwillingly Truly,

(For 6 months only!)

JW

-/-

Matthew scoffed in disbelief, "Did she intentionally add the erasures in her letter? Does she hate me that much? Huh?! She did this on purpose. Initial help? Did she mean the application in our company? No! Just wait and see! I'm gonna land a job without her help."

The young man  faced his laptop and opened it. After logging in, he clicked the browser and started looking for another job again.

Three hours had passed and boredom is slowly seeping out the remaining energy inside his body. He slammed the keyboard and forced his eyes to shut. His hand clicked the music player as he connected the bluetooth speaker and reclined his back on the sofa.

"GAHHHH! WHY WHY WHY? I'm so freakin' bored! How can I work like this? What the f! Why do I even need to work? Jiwoo's boss could have just asked me to use my money properly by being a philanthropist than looking for a job like this. I could have just given alms to the needy. Who am I going to help if in case I land a job as they wished? Damn! Logic," he complained.

His laptop suddenly turned off which made him more annoyed, "I have just charged this. Why did it shut down? What the ?!" he opened his eyes.

"Logic, you say?" a woman's voice retorted back.

Matthew was shocked to see her presence. He fixed himself and pretended that he's working 'diligently'.

"Oh fam! I mean...Jiwoo! What brings you here? I thought you..."

"That I can't come here today? And I happened to do so, that's why you're unhappy. Right?"

"I didn't mean it that way. But if that's what you think, I cannot do anything about it."

"Well. I just realized that as you've said, it is the BOTH of us who'll benefit from this. I actually extended a suggestion, but you refused it. Seems that I have no choice but to think of a way again for you. I've got LOGIC," she strongly emphasized the two words.

"Good thing you've realized that."

Jiwoo sarcastically replied in a matter-of-factly tone, "And since I am a logical being,  the only logical way to make things move forward is for you to look for a job the normal way. Just like what you're pretending to do right now."

"Yah! I am definitely not pretending. I actually..."

"You actually what? Sent your curriculum vitae to 10 companies yesterday yet you haven't heard from any of them. Should you be proud with that? I'm sorry but I'm just stating facts. I'm not trying to disrespect you or what," she clearly stated before he could react.

"You could have just..."

"What? Make you a philanthropist? Do you think this is just about giving good things to other people and you're safe? This is also about you. It's not just changing others' lives but also changing yours. Matthew Kim-ssi, living was never easy. You shouldn't see life as an easy maze where you could escape easily. I don't exactly know what the Ruler wanted you to become after all of these, but I know this is something that could be more useful for you as a person."

"Why do you talk like you know how to live as a human being? Of course, you wouldn't know how to suffer like we do. You've got powers and do not have problems like humans do."

"Tschhh...I have watched a lot of humans suffering. I may be emotionless, but..."

"Hayyy."

"Why am I even explaining my side to you? Whatever!"

Matthew just took a deep breath before looking at her. "Ehhh. But, this is just so hard. You know that I never worked for anyone before. I just... I just can't," he hopelessly said.

"Even if I don't see success on your way, I still have to trust you. We actually have no choice but to trust each other. I may seem a bit rude to you, but I need to guide you with this. I actually have no idea what your next tasks will be. Nevertheless, I am a hundred percent sure that there'd be no way that they'll be easy as this."

"I know. I know. But this first task is not an easy one. At least for someone like me."

"If you just take my suggestion, then nothing would be hard."

"No! I am not gonna work to our company.  If I needed to be a utility worker or security officer in other companies, I'll do it. Working in a toxic environment like Wangja Corporation would definitely be the end of me."

"That's the only fast way I could offer. Anyhow, I sincerely hope one of those companies would contact you anytime soon. Should you want to reconsider my suggestion, just summon my name. I better go ahead. Good luck," she replied before disappearing again.

He covered his face using both of his hands and shouted, "I am doomed!"

After a few hours, Jiwoo went back to check the pitiful lad the next morning. He was sleeping soundly with his arms crossed while sitting on the couch. His hands are a bit swollen due to his endless usage of laptop to be able to search for a job. "You're such a hopeless person. But you can't remain as a helpless one. Hayy! Get some rest," she whispered as she covered him with a blanket, fixed his sleeping position and put a pillow under his head.

"Do I look like I have a choice?" she sat down on the floor and opened his laptop.

.

 

.

Without noticing it, another day had passed again yet he is still sleeping. It took him two mornings before he woke up.  Then, it was bothered by an enticing smell of foods which made his stomach growled.

He scratched the back of his head, "I've never been this hungry after sleeping. Hay! What a life," he mumbled

She clapped her hands before appearing in front him, "Why? Then you must blame your body for sleeping for two days. I'm soooooo glad you decided to wake up. I thought you were dead. Huh!?"

"You scared the heck out of me!"

"Are you going to act as if we're strangers? Funny."

"Yah! Haist!"

"Brace yourself up. You missed 20 calls from a company you applied to."

Matthew's eyes widened in horror and started slapping his face before checking his phone. "What the man! You have nearly gotten the chance but you wasted it! Wahh! I'm so screwed!"

Jiwoo assured without looking at him, "Gladly, I did something that made them reschedule your interview."

His gaze turned towards her while gaping at her in astonishment. "Bu...but..."

"Well, you need to fix yourself immediately since the interview's by 2pm today. And..." she took a glance at her watch before continuing,  "It's already 11 am so you only have 3 hours left. Stand up now!"

"But..."

"No more buts, ands & ifs."

"Why do we always see each other when I have just waken up?"

"Just shut up. Please?"

"Oookay..."

.

 

.

After Matthew have eaten his breakfast (which was prepared by Jiwoo) and finished taking a bath, he went to his closet to look for clothes. He wondered what he'll wear for his interview. Among his several clothes, he cannot choose which one since all of his clothes are either too flashy or too casual for such event.

"This is the reason why I don't work. Why would I wear old-fashioned office clothes? That's not the style of the great Matthew Kim!"

He soon heard a knock on the door of his closet room. No one even dared to enter his room, most especially his closet room where he usually wears his clothes. In fact, he never brought neither a woman nor his peers in his home or even in his room. His mom or any of his relatives had never stepped inside his man cave. They can only stay on the living room. It is a mentality of him that no one can invade his privacy which he could only achieve at home, most especially his room. Besides, he could meet his friends only at bars or arcade places. Those women? What's the use of motels/hotels? His family? Their family has a very large ancestral home. Hay...Could it be...?

"Open the door, Matthew Kim-ssi! I hate waiting here!"

"Yahh! I'm still wearing my bathrobe on. Are you a peeping tom?"

"WHAT?! Do you think I have no idea that you cannot choose from your stash of tacky garbage?"

"Huh?! You're getting into my nerves!"

"If you don't come out after I count upto 5, I'm gonna slam this door as well as your head. One."

He remained unfazed as he said, "No! What do you want?"

"Two."

"Yah!"

Jiwoo ignored him as she continue counting, "Three."

"I don't want to! Bleh!'

"Four..."

Her tone was slowly getting pissed as she warned, "You don't want to see me angry. I know that. Fiiiiv..."

The man had no choice but to open the door. He grumbled, "What do you want? Are you a ..."

His sight was welcomed by the clothes she was holding and covering her. It was a decent pair of white dress shirt with a black plain necktie and a black slacks. Perfect combination for his job interview.

She cut his thoughts off. "I am not a ert. These clothes look better and acceptable than what you have there. I don't think it's necessary for you to wear a suit. These might do. Do you have a decent watch? You could wear it with these. Here, take these clothes. Don't take too much time," her words were apathetic as she walked back.

He cleared his throat before thanking her, "Thank..."

"Don't be so moved by this. It's not like I've got a choice. By the way, I'd tell you one of my conditions when you get home. I think we need to discuss it briefly. One more thing, I apologize for entering your room since I know that no one ever did before." she raised her index finger before saying her last sentence as she stepped out of the room and closed the door.

He shook his head in disbelief. "She's really...driving me insane. One day, she'll be rude. The next time, she's...Hayy.."

.

 

.

He wore the clothes Jiwoo had given. They're pretty nice and his good looks have made them more appealing.

Several slow strikes from his door was heard by him again. He knew it was her. "Come in," he said.

Jiwoo entered his room with a blank face and just stared at him indifferently.

He asked as he tries to suppress his smile, "Hey... I wore it. I even matched a decent watch.  Happy now?"

"Good."

"Ei! How come you know my size? These clothes fit on my body very well."

"I told you before that I know EVERY inch of you," she clearly emphasized.

"When you told me that before, I don't believe you so much. But now I guess I do."

"You should."

"Eiiii.."

"What's with your hair? Why is it covering your eyes? Do you think that'd be pleasing for the interviewer to see?"

"That's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter