Stitches

Phantasmata
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

| Opposites.We differ in thoughts and opinions, but feelings would always remain unchanged. |

-/-

 

He spent almost the whole week doing nothing except playing his Wii and not minding what's gonna happen to him. He is still receiving messages from the companies where sent an application, but ignoring them was his decision. Those bastards are too shameless to ask him to work for them. Then what? They'll ask him to bridge their company to their company. He may be the worst of all worst among the human beings, he wouldn't put his pride down most especially to his relatives. They didn't want him so he should feel the same way.

Whatever happens, may it be his upcoming demise or suffering, who cares? It's already 5 days since he has last felt the presence of ‘business partner'. She may have totally decided to leave him for good per his wishes. Definitely, he doesn't miss her. No one would scold him like a clueless child. The cold visage that never changes its expression would finally be out of his sight. No one would ask him to do this and that without his willingness. He won't be seeing the unfriendly notes and messages that she usually leaves. Those irking reminders that she's just being professional would already be over. No one would fry him with harsh words and do kind but unusual gestures afterwards. Moreover, he's lucky that he's done with her moods swings that drive him insane. Cruelty, coldness, odd surprises and insanity are all going to be gone in his normal life. He's not gonna miss them EVER — that's what at least he says.

The man tossed his toy and turned off the television. The silence was deafening and is giving him chills in the spine. Tomorrow might be his 'judgment day'. He has no idea if what frightens him is the consequence that he'll be facing or the regret that he just made himself a loser in front of the whole world. The self he knew might be foolish for some, but never backs off on a fight. He makes things spin around his palm. However, what the heck is this he's facing? Is he a ing crybaby as she mentioned before? Does he really like running away from things? No. He doesn't play that way. What he knows is he is manipulative and extracts the usefulness of things as much as he can, a user to be exact. Should he make use of that for his benefit? He knows he shouldn't act like a sore loser. Failing to achieve what he wants was never in his vocabulary. Matthew must win this no matter what.

He took a glance on the paper that was placed on top of the table. At first he was hesitant, but he soon picked it up and stared at it carefully.

"If I was born to live in the shadows, so be it. Lucky? Then I'll make use of such thing that pulls me down to lift myself."

.

 

.

One question that popped inside her mind in a sudden is, 'Will he be fine by himself?'  Ridiculous as it is, she should be worrying about her own things. She doesn't even know what punishment she'll receive from her boss due to her failure to finish her tasks with that spoiled brat heir. He wants her to be out of his life? Fine. Who told him that she wanted to stick close with me? Over her dead body... Nah! Vanished soul. Wait? Is she even a soul? Aigoo! Overthinking seemed to make things worse. Why would she feel sympathetic to a person like him (when in fact she doesn't necessarily need to have emotions)? She made a lot of effort to pretend friendly towards him and keep her hostility inside herself. That ingrate man kid! Is it her fault that he cannot get a job due to his steep pride? Such an egoistic man. She'll never help him ever again even if he begged on his knees. Indeed a good riddance. "Let him taste his own medicine. I don't care whether he dies or rot in a doomed place," her words were masking its bitterness by an emotionless tone.

After a while, her phone rang which made her stop in her 'paper works'. It must have been the Ruler. Is he already gonna punish her? Honestly, it did not gave her a scare. She is actually willing to take responsibility to her actions. Should she say 'the reckless actions of that stupid human'?

"I need to report to the Ruler now?"

.

 

.

He took a pen and filled the blank portions of the form. It was quite tiring, but he has to do it. After that, his sweatshirt that was hanging on a rack was picked by him. He needs to go somewhere to finish everything. It's his only hope.

With only his mobile phone, wallet and the application form with him, his feet brought him to somewhere he despised ever since then. He never wanted to go there. He even promised not to step on that place not until he dies. But, that suffocating place should be used by him to gain something. 'If you can't beat them, join them'. Ironically, he never believed in such quote, but now he has to.

A security officer stopped the man who was wearing sweatshirt with his head being covered by its hood and cap as well as skinny jeans. He remarked, "I'm sorry Sir, but do you have an identification card to show me. We do not allow anyone who are not applicants and employees to enter this vicinity. This is strictly for security purposes."

He cleared his throat before answering, "I'm an applicant."

"Ah Sir, may I see your curriculum vitae or any application form to prove it?"

The man slightly scoffed as he hands him his application form and took out his wallet to show an i.d. He also removed his cap and hood. "Here. Would those be enough?'" he hands him his identification card.

The security officer, "Matthew Kim?"

"Yes. I want to see Mr. Jung Hee Seong and talk to him."

"But..."

"Looks like he's here already."

Fortunately, the man he was looking for entered the building. The security officer went towards him and said something to him. The former furrowed his eyebrows together as he immediately went towards the estranged heir.

Mr. Jung politely bowed, "Annyeong hasimnikka, young master."

The security officer was quite lost on his thoughts but soon understood everything, "I humbly apologize Mr. Kim. I didn't recognize you immediately."

"That's nothing. I'd like to talk to Mr. Jung now."

.

 

.

The two of them went to a cafe to have some snacks and talk about some matters.

"Well... I'm not here to ask for my grandpa's money. This could explain everything," the young man straightly stated as he hands him his application form. "Please. Don't tell them about this right away. Wanted some surprise."

Mr. Jung was quite baffled by his actions. He never imagined this kid to apply in Wangja Corporation. As far as he can remember, Matthew's grandfather is supposed to take his actions towards his stubborn grandson next month. Did he already cut his ties with him already? "Ahemmm... But what made you change your lifetime mantra?"

"Mantra?"

"You said you'd never work for your family's company. I even urged you 5 months ago yet you hadn't changed your answer. However, it seems that there's some change going on you."

"Change? That's bullsh*t. Of course not."

"I'm impress to your sudden actions but if you could refrain from cursing, that'd make things better."

"Aigoo! This ahjusshi. My grandpa has not given me his ultimatum yet. Neither grandma, nor my parents. For your information, I'm not broke yet. I just...wanted to do this. My life's quite dull and boring. Doing same things kills me. I wanted... some fun."

"Nonetheless, working in your company isn't fun and will never be. It's not some kind of child's play where you can drop everything when you wanted to. It's a serious kind of setting."

"I know. I know. You don't have to tell me that. I can't explain things to you even if I wanted to."

"But what brings you here?"

"I'm here to apply as an employee."

"It'd be absurd to believe that you suddenly wanted to work here and you don't have any reason behind it."

"I did have."

"Are you already...?"

"What?"

"Secretly marr..."

"Yah! Of course not! I'm not married yet! I don't even have a girlfriend. And you know I don't do serious relationships. That's a no-no!"

"Perhaps, you impregnated a woman so you're planning to work. You know that you're whole family will disown you..."

"If I did such reckless thing? And I'm doing actions beforehand in order to prevent things from being ruined? Uhmmn..."

The middle-aged man gaped when he heard his unofficial 'revelation'. "You...you...you...did?" he stuttered.

He just puzzlingly shrugged his shoulders in reply which made the man more shocked.

Mr. Jung was stunned and can't absorb what he had just seen. His professional demeanor was  "WHAT?!  MR. MATTHEW, HOW COULD YOU BE SO RECKLESS?"

The young man burst out laughing due to his horrified reaction. He playfully said, "You're such a somber-looking smart man. How can a thing like that break your mind? This is so epic. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

"But is it true?"

"Of course not! I'm a clever kind of man. Aigoo! I know that my grandfather wants me to get married and have a child, but I'm too young for that. Moreover, why would I grant his wish? I'm not gonna lose to that oldster."

"Don't speak to your grandfather that way."

He bowed his head down before leaving, "Okay okay. So, this ends our chitchat. It's nice seeing you again ahjusshi. Expecting to receive a favorable response from you and the company. Today's your treat. Gonna make it up to you when I earn some bucks already. See ya!"

Mr. Jung softly said, "That kid wouldn't change overnight just like that. I wonder what made him do it and what his motives are," he took a glance to his application form.

.

 

.

Matthew went back to his flat. He was lost in his thoughts when 'her' face abruptly flashed inside his mind. His body brought him to his bedroom to reflect on his 'mistakes'.

"Hayyyy! You finally did it dude! It would be nicer if she is here. Heyyy! What the heck are you saying? Do you think she'll come back for you after spitting out crap things to her? Haiiistt! You know how apathetic she is. Why did I vent out my anger at her? JUST WHY?"

He covered his face with a pillow as he continuously hit his tummy using his fist. "Bastard! Bastard! Such a bastard! Bastard! Crap!"

A soft whisper came out of his lips," Jiwoo..."

It was full of unexplainable longing which he felt for her brief absence. He didn't know if its due to the fact he badly needs her help, or just because he simply misses her.

.

 

.

The presence of a lady welcomed her sight as she catches her breath. She was someone who she considers a 'senior' slash 'head' of heaven employees like her.

"Oh...Good day Ma'am Shin," she politely bowed her head.

"The Ruler has a message he wanted to say to you."

"Is that so?"

"Aren't you afraid to hear what I'll say?"

Jiwoo bowed her head once again before apologizing, "I am aware that it is about my unfinished task in the land of human beings. I will take the responsibility for everything. It was due to my negligence. I'm sincerely sorry for that."

The expression on the lady's face remained unchanged. It actually is quite odd but Jiwoo just ignored it. "If you are to take responsibility for it, you may need to go back there."

"Go back? I'm going to take Mr. Matthew Kim here for his punishment. Is that it?"

"No."

"Isn't it tomorrow is the Ruler's judgment day for the both of us?"

"Yes. That is right."

"So why do I need to go back there?"

"You said you wanted to take responsibility for it. The Ruler knows about that too."

"I'm willing to receive my punishment."

"Punishment?"

"Yes. Like I'm gonna vanish. Isn't that my punishment?"

"Is that how you perceive the Ruler's punishment for you?"

"Uhmmm...Yeah. Or maybe I'll be sent to the doomed place. Right?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter