Seven

Thunder rolls

I’ve never seen Solar like this before. Spazzing on the couch like she was having a seizure. If I’m honest, I was scared, and then I was terrified when she started screaming. God, what could have been going on in Moonbyul’s end? We were just lucky no one else was around to hear her or they would have thought she was being murdered. What if Moonbyul was being murdered?

No. She couldn’t have been. She was too big of an asset, right? Right.

God, I hope I was right.

Relief flooded my body the moment she broke out of her connection, breathing hard and looking dazed.

“Solar, my god, what happened? Are you okay?” I went quickly to her side and picked her head up into my lap and brushed the hair out of her face.

“I’m okay. I just needed a break. Is there any water?”

“Here you go.” Hwasa was quick to give her the water bottle she instructed us to have for this exact moment.

Hwasa and I met eyes while she was drinking, thinking the same thing thank god that was over. Then we waited in anticipation for her to tell us what the had happened.

I could tell Hwasa was getting impatient when she started tapping her foot. I knew she was holding back questions, but she was trying to be respectful of Solar’s conditions.

“Alright.” She said after taking a couple of deep breaths. “That place is crazy… They really tortured her.” She said in a choked up voice.

She was on the bridge of crying, so I put my hand to her sweaty head again and tried to soothe her. I could hardly process what she said. Torture? Moonbyul was going through torture and Solar too secondhand? That meant Wendy had probably gone through the same thing too… Holy .

“When we get in there, I’m going to kill them.” Hwasa said in a deadly tone.

“You’ll have to beat me to them then.” Solar replied with just as much venom in her voice, but then she relaxed again and heaved a sigh. “It shouldn’t happen again if she obeys them, but… Anyway, what’s important is that, other than Byul, we have someone on the inside that can walk around freely, who knows the facility well. Byul is going to get her to meet up with us. Then we’ll get them out.”

“Really? Is it the girl that’s been nice to Wendy?” Hwasa asks perking up at the news.

“That’s the one.”

“And we know we can trust her?”

“Yeah. At the very least, I know she’ll be willing to do anything to get Wendy out.”

“Why would some scientist in there risk it all for Wendy?” I ask truly confused. If these people are willing to torture their subjects, I’m sure they wouldn’t be afraid to punish traitors too.

“She’ll be in it for Wendy. Trust me. “

Of course I did but, why would she be all in it for Wendy? Well, it was Wendy and I could understand to an extent. Still, it was a pretty big thing to do.

“I think I’m going to take a nap, if that’s okay.”

I noticed her eyelids drooping now as she spoke. Poor girl.

“Of course, rest.” I said while getting up so she could get more comfortable. “We’ll be around if you need us.” I really just wanted to know more, but what could I do?

“Yeah, anything too. We got you.” Hwasa added getting up to so we could talk somewhere without bothering her.

We had just walked out of the office when Hwasa’s whole demeanor changed. It was so abrupt and unexpected of her, it took me a second to react.

She clapped a hand over and had tears in her eyes. I’d never seen her like this before.

“Oh, Hwasa.” I reached out to her and engulfed her into a hug.

“My best friend…” She couldn’t even finish her sentence, but I knew just where she was headed.

“It won’t be long before she’s back here with us. She’ll be okay, Hwasa. We have to stay strong for her.” When I felt her shake against me, I had a hard time myself keeping it together myself.

 

I refuse to rest. Not when Moonbyul was on the line. So I was diving back in the moment I was able to. Since Moonbyul was stuck in her room, I decided to jump into Irene, the beautiful scientist again.

She was just leaving a room that would remain a mystery to me because I was just moments too late to see what was inside. Her mood seemed to have considerably dampened since leaving Wendy’s room. The walls passed by in blurs as she walked down a path that was all too familiar to her. She barely paid attention to what was around her, seemingly stuck in her own mind. A part I couldn’t seem to reach. Whatever was on her mind just didn’t seem to reverberate much significance to her.

But just as she reached a big heavy looking door she stopped as she tried to contain the swarm of angry bees that erupted in her stomach, and then I could hear a stray thought. You do this every day, there’s no need to feel so sick. So she takes a deep breath and walks in.

“Ah, Irene there you are.” The horrible, malicious scientist greets with a wide smile. “I was beginning to think you’d never show. Sorry, you took so long, I ate lunch without you.”

“Don’t worry about it. I wasn’t hungry anyway.” She said taking a seat in the chair that was in front of the torturers desk.

The man sighs clearly disappointed in the response. “You really need to get more meat on your bones, girl. You’ll surely be able to blow away with the wind soon.”

“Dad, really I’m fine. I ate a big breakfast that’s all. Honest, I’m good. I’m glad you had a good lunch though.” She said picking up a file from her father’s desk and begins leafing through it not really seeing anything.

If I could feel my own body right now, I would have felt dread shoot through my veins. The man that had tortured Moonbyul with a grin was Irene’s father. The girl we were supposed to trust to help us out.

“Who said I had a good lunch? How could I truly without you here?”

“Ah Dad, you depend on me too much for your own happiness.” Irene rolled her eyes while folding the file and putting it back on the desk.

“How could I not? You know you’re the only person I care about in this world after losing your mother.”

Remorse settled in Irene’s stomach after hearing her father’s shameless guilt trip.

“I know. I was just checking up on the subject’s. They are steadily getting weaker at an alarming rate. If we’re going to continue pushing them, I have to make sure they’re getting the means to keep up with us.”

“I hope that’s not concern for them that I’m hearing.” Anger lining his voice.

“No. No, I’m not concerned for them in the least.” She said sounding totally convincing. It didn’t even really seem like a lie. In fact, she seemed a bit disgusted at the fact he would think otherwise. “I just want to make sure we can finish what we’ve started. We kind of have to anyway. We aren’t exactly working just for ourselves, are we? We have to produce meaningful results soon.”

Her father relaxed and leaned back into his chair. “You’re right. As you usually are.” He smiled. “You have a good head on your shoulders, kid. Alright!” He threw up his hands. “I’ll cool down for the sake of science and obligation.”

“Good to hear.”

“You ready to lead a trial yet?”

Irene groaned loudly. “You asked me the same thing yesterday. Can’t I just let you know when I’m ready?”

“Do you understand that this is an amazing opportunity to learn from? And you just proved right now how responsible you are! If you want, today rather than working with Doctor Choi, you can co-lead with me on subject 22. How does that sound?” He paused for a second as if to wait for an answer. “Actually, this time you don’t have a choice. You are co-leading Subject 22’s trial today.

Irene's heart plummeted into her stomach. This wasn’t something she ever wanted to hear. Maybe if it was someone else, but no this was Wendy. And yet, if she were the one leading, she could be softer on her. The thing was she knew her father would notice, and there was no way she could explain why she wasn’t treating Wendy the way he usually did. Oh god, what if I accidently called her by her name? This wouldn’t have been a problem if I had just kept my feeling locked up. Irene grimaced upset at herself.

“Fine. I think I can manage that.” Irene finally said after a long pause.

Her dad was absolutely beaming. “That’s my girl! Great, so let me fill you in on what I want to accomplish today.”

Irene was feeling nothing but regret. . How am I going to manage this? Could I hurt Wendy? No, not if I looked into her eyes. I wouldn’t be able to handle the hurt and disappoint from her. Then again, there’s also my father’s disappointment to deal with if I don’t manage to.

If she was in a similar position with Moonbyul, would she be able to hurt her? Is Wendy the only exception to her mercy?

Suddenly my vision of Irene started darkening, and I could no longer hear what her father was saying. Instead, what I heard was Moonbyul talking softly to an empty room.

It took a bit before I was fully back in Moonbyul’s mind. Was it because I was thinking of her that I hopped from Irene’s mind to hers?

“Solarrr,” She dragged out my name sounding bored. “I literally have nothing to do in here but talk to myself in hopes that you’ll be listening.” She turned over, for I’m sure wasn’t the first time.

“Last time, when you saved my life… By the way, I don’t know when you’re tuning in, but I want you to know that this isn’t the first time I’ve said this. Anyway, last time you saved my life, you told me you did something. You said that the last time you infiltrated the Principal’s mind, you were able to do more than just experience things with him. You acted as a greater force, and you had a greater presence. Do something like that now. Show me you’re here. Show me you’re listening.”

I knew what she meant, but that had happened in the heat of the moment. It was never something I wanted to replicate. I know she doesn’t mean to do it the same way I did it to Principal Lee, where I over circuited his brain and made him pass out. Still… Could I somehow communicate to her that I was there? It was something I was going to have to try for her sake. God, would training ever be over? At least my training was ethical…

When I was in someone else’s head, it was almost like being in my own expect that I didn’t always hear their thoughts, and my thoughts were also separate from theirs. I always felt their intentions and emotions, so it influenced the way I thought in a way that usually made mine align with theirs which helped me understand them. If I did hear their actual thoughts though, it came in pieces. Maybe I could change that so I could project my own thoughts into their mind. But I was getting ahead of myself, I just had to let Moonbyul know I was there.

I almost felt foolish concentrating so hard when absolutely nothing came of it. That was just the first try though. I couldn’t let myself give up that easily. So I pushed forward. If I could get any sort of progress, I could build from there.

Moonbyul suddenly sat up fast and put her hand to her head.

“Solar?”

Yes! That was me! I tried again so she would know for sure.

“Oh my god, it feels so weird. Like a ghost touch.” She laughed feeling proud. “Good job, love. I knew you could do it.”

It was a little unpleasant, at least for the first few times. It was probably because of the shock of it. It was weird to feel such an invasion. I would describe it as someone brushing a feather against your brain. It was like a subtle tingle.

“Do you think you can do that once for yes and twice for no?”

I responded yes. Wow. I’m so amazing, really.

“Okay… let’s test no. Do you like the taste of beer?”

I could never trust anyone who did, honestly. I sent two tingles her way for “no”.

Moonbyul laughed and murmured, “That’s amazing, Solar. You can do some amazing things.”

She laid back down on the bed. “So, did you hear who Irene’s father was?”

Yes.

“She wasn’t lying about not caring about the subjects.”

I couldn’t respond with anything but yes.

“Did you hear it from my ears?”

No.

“So you felt it?”

Yes.

“She was sincere with Wendy earlier. Were you there for the cookie and sandwich?”

Yes.

“She feels something for Wendy, and she says she wants to get her out. Be that the case or not, she might not be willing to act on it. She said yes to co-leading the next trial on Wendy, so we’ll probably be able to learn who she’ll favor: her father and their apparent disgust with us or Wendy. Do you agree?”

Yes. I had felt totally secure with Irene before, but she wasn’t as innocent as she had seemed. She didn’t seem like she was only in it because she had no choice. Instead, it seemed like she chose to be a part of this terrible facility.

“Well, we can’t do anything but wait and watch the show anyway. Will you switch to Irene when the trial begins?”

Yes. I had to find out if we could trust her or not. Putting our faith in the wrong person could be disastrous. I didn’t want to find out what they would do to Moonbyul if they found out she was planning an escape.

“Good. Learn as much as you can. Then we can decide on Irene. If she’s hopeless, I have no clue where we can go from there.” She said sounding like she was losing hope.

I didn’t either, but I didn’t want her thinking that way. I was going to find out some way to get her out no matter which way things go. I just wish I could tell her that.

“Was that you? I feel calmer…”

Was it me? I think it was…

Yes.

She smiled and rolled over so she was now laying on her stomach. “Message loud and clear: Keep it positive. I’ll try.”

Outside of our session of 20 questions, Moonbyul had been keeping an ear on Irene. She had just been quietly working on something by herself, but she was walking down the halls again. I’m sure she was going to get Wendy.

“Go ahead and jump into Irene. It seems like we’ll be getting our answer soon. Is this a goodbye?”

Sadly, yes.

“Well then bye, I love you.”

Yes.

“I know you know that I love you, but do you love me?”

I don’t know why she felt like this was a good time to be teasing, but she was because she knew I couldn’t answer properly.

No.

Moonbyul snickered and turned back over. “Goodbye, Solar. Be back soon.”

Moonbyul’s vision of the grey ceiling started to fade away and a new image appeared. It was weird. It felt less like I was leaving and more like Moonbyul was letting go.

I jumped back into Irene just as she was opening the door to Wendy’s room.

Wendy raised her helmeted head off her pillow, and looked surprised at the site of Irene. “You’re back sooner than expected.”

“Yes, I am.” Irene answered curtly.

Wendy visibly stiffened at her tone.

The site made Irene soften immediately. “I’m sorry. I’m just nervous, that’s all. I didn’t mean to get snippy with you.

“That’s okay.” Wendy said already looking more at ease. She even started to get up so she could come over to Irene. “What is it that you’re nervous about?”

Irene didn’t move as Wendy took the few steps to close the wide gap between them. Not completely, but now they weren’t a room apart and Irene was already feeling the effects of her proximity. She wanted to reach out and touch her, but she quelled the urge down.

“It turns out that I’ll be going with you to your trial after all.”

“Why do you make that sound like a bad thing? I would prefer you to be there.”

Irene was quiet for a moment, and it made Wendy worried. Irene could see that Wendy was picking up unsettling vibes from Irene based on her unwillingness to answer. But she would have to eventually. ”This time I won’t be a mostly silent bystander.”

Wendy took a small step back. Irene wanted to reach out and pull her back to her, but she didn’t.

“What do you mean by that?”

“I will take some of the roles that Dr. Park usually has.”

“Which roles exactly? The threatening or the incessant pushing?” Wendy looked betrayed, but mostly angry.

Irene wanted to stop the anger directed at her immediately, but she remained poised.

“Wendy, I don’t think you understand what position I’m in. If I hurt you, it’s because-“

“Don’t! Don’t hurt me.” Wendy interrupted. “If you hurt me, I won’t ever be able to look at you the same. I just won’t.”

Irene swallowed hard, feeling torn. I was feeling torn too, but for different reasons. Irene isn’t acting like someone who’s going to put her all into protecting the girl I thought she’d give everything up for. “If we take any longer, they’ll send someone looking for us. Come on.” That was a lie. She was trying to keep her resolve together.

The walk to the lab was quiet. It was also a moment of quiet distress for Irene. She watched Wendy walk in front of her with balled fists knowing she was the cause of it.

What would mom really want? She questioned herself right before walking into the lab.

“Miss Bae, you know what to do.” Her father said first thing after they walked in.

The room was quiet as Irene strapped Wendy into the chair. She didn’t dare look at Wendy’s face as she did it. It was tense between them now that Irene’s role had changed.

Irene was the first to speak when she was done. “Today, we’re moving back to strength and your ability to manage several heavy objects at one time. Without multiple variables, so far, you are able to lift 4 tons. Which is stunning in itself, but we want to expand that so you are able to manage multiple variables amounting up to at least 4 tons. The last couple of sessions have led to improvements, but we have not met our desired results. We expect to see 8 1000 pound weights lifted off the ground. That’s five more than your best trial.”

“As you know, this trial is conducted by us behind that glass” Irene pointed to her right “for our safety. If any of us suspects any sketchy business, Dr. Park’s neurotoxin will put an end to it immediately.”

Wendy rolled her eyes, but remained silent. It’s not likely this was the first time she’s heard this speech.

“Do you understand this?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Good then, everyone can move to the observation room.”

Irene stood furthest from the door ushering everyone out before her. Her dad, the last person in the room after Irene, gave her a proud wink as he crossed the door’s threshold. It caused a surge of guilt to hit Irene, but it didn’t stop her from closing the door after him and locking it.

”What are you doing?” Wendy knew that this wasn’t protocol. She was looking shocked but not scared. That seemed to encourage Irene.

“I’m doing things my way.”

Wendy’s face immediately fell into disappoint and faint disgust lined her features. Irene took a step towards Wendy, and immediately her guards went up.

“Don’t come near me.” Irene stopped walking immediately. “So what? Was it your job to get the trust of the subjects so you could easily manipulate them? It makes sense now that I think about it.” She chuckles looking like she was just slapped.

Yes, but it backfired with you. You could never realize how unfortunate that was for me. Irene thought, but didn’t say aloud.

“Wendy, you’re getting riled up for no reason. I’m not going to hurt you. I’m going to help you.”

“Help me what? Give them everything they want.”

“No. I’m giving you everything you need. Do you understand how powerful you are? Soon there’s going to be nothing they can do to stop you. I just want to help you get to that point.” Irene was being nothing but honest.

“Can’t they hear you from there?” Wendy indicated the window with her eyes.

“No, I was busy before I got you.” Irene smiled a bit mischievously. “And they can’t hurt you from there either. It’s just you and me in here, Wendy.” Well, not totally… “I’m going to raise the weights now, okay?”

Wendy said nothing but she nodded. She looked a bit more relaxed now, but she looked at Irene with an untrusting gaze. “Why are you even here? Why would you be working at a facility like this?”

Irene stopped tapping at the tablet she was holding, but she didn’t look up. I knew she didn’t want to answer this question. How would Wendy react when she heard that her torturer was Irene’s father? Any trust that Wendy still had in reserves would surely vanish. Irene couldn’t afford that. Not right now.

“Family obligation. There really wasn’t a way out.” From the floor, ten big metal blocks rose out of hidden openings that just appeared. “Are you ready to begin?”

Wendy opened looking like nothing but snide was about to come out. Irene interrupted her before she could speak.

“No, you don’t really have a choice. I still have a role to play.”

Then she sighed and softened up once again. “Wendy, I may not be all that I appeared to you before, but let me make one thing clear: I’ve made my decision. I am going to get you out of here. Will you let me help you now?”

Wendy stared at her with unmoving eyes, but it only took a couple of moments before she caved. She nodded.

“I’ll listen to you as long as it seems reasonable.”

“Great. I’m nothing but reasonable.”

“I’ll be the judge of that.” There was a faint smile on her features, but it disappeared as soon as it came. “So, lift as many of these heavy things as I can?”

“Yes.”

“But I tried last week, and I couldn’t get past three.”

“Wendy, you should know that your brain is a muscle, and from what we’ve gathered so far it seems that your ability comes from your mind. So, you should be able to get stronger, correct?”

“…Yeah, I guess.”

“Well then, try for four this time.”

Wendy closed her eyes for a moment to prepare herself for the challenge. She raised two from the ground, seemingly effortlessly. She struggled at the 3000 lbs, but she managed that too.

“Great, Wendy. You’re doing great. Let’s get one more up.”

Irene’s focus was hardly on the objects around her. She was watching Wendy instead. She studied the way Wendy’s breath started to come out heavier as she worked on her task, and she watched the way Wendy’s eyebrows furrowed in concentration. She was astonished by her. She only looked away once she remembered she was being examined as well.

She swallowed hard, and looked at the weights around her. What’s her full potential? Will she truly be unstoppable?

There was a thunderous clang, and it made Irene almost jump right out of her skin.

“I can’t do it. I can’t get past three.” Wendy heaved. Tired from the work.

I know she’s stronger than this.

Irene looked at the glass, and made a decision. She tapped on the tablet again, and suddenly the window the other scientists were watching from was covered by a barrier. Screw it. I’m came this far already.

“You could have done that this whole time?” Irene smiled even though Wendy was clearly still upset with her. She was at least relieved that Wendy gave no objection when she walked over to her.

“Yes, I know. It was long overdue, and so is this.”

Irene began undoing the binds that held Wendy fast to the chair. When she was done with that, she also removed the helmet that she almost always had on.

“Maybe you need to be more comfortable. Come on, stand up.” Irene grabbed Wendy’s hands and pulled her from the chair. She didn’t let her hands go and neither did she step back when she ended up only inches apart from her. Wendy had nowhere else to move, so she couldn’t move away even if she wanted to. I’m not sure wanted to anyway. She didn’t seem willing to let go just as much as Irene.

“Wendy, do you miss your family?” Irene murmured.

“Of course, I do.” Wendy murmured back, staring right into Irene’s eyes. She seemed transfixed, all her negative feelings seemed to have dissipated for the moment.

“Then I’m going to need you to lift these weights, Wendy. Think of these as the obstacles keeping you from them.”

“What if I can’t?”

“Believe in yourself the way I do.” Irene finally let go of one of Wendy’s hands, so she could the side of her head. She left it lingering on her cheek. “You can do it. You just don’t know your strength yet.” It was only after that statement that she stepped back. “Go on. Try it again. Maybe you’ll do better with more space to move.”

Wendy moved towards the center of the room, and spun around studying each of the metal blocks surrounding her. She widened her stance slightly, and took a deep breath again. Three blocks rose without a problem like before, but unlike before there was a fourth block not staying in a static position.

“You got this, Wendy.”

She did have it. The fourth block rose breaking her previous record, but she did more than just merely beat it. All ten blocks were up, and Wendy didn’t look like she was breaking a sweat.

“Wendy...” Irene said breathless. She then felt a tug at her coat. It gave her quite a fright, but she realized it was Wendy. She’s holding all those blocks up, and she’s still able to concentrate enough attention towards me? She truly is incredibly powerful. There was a brief flash of fear that Irene felt. She shouldn’t have felt that if she trusted her, right?

“Get closer to me, and away from the blocks. Who knows how long this fluke will last.”

Irene did as told, still astonished by what she was seeing. “This isn’t a fluke, Wendy. You’re just amazing.” All of her fear was totally gone as she now stood by Wendy. “Try moving them so every other block goes up, and the others go down.”

Irene laughed with delight when Wendy did just as she was instructed. Irene reached for Wendy’s arm and gave it a squeeze.

Wendy chuckled at her reaction. “You seem more excited than I am.”

“Well, you’re one step closer now, aren’t you? Try rotating them around the room.” She did it, again with ease.

“Will you stay here if I get out?”

“When you get out.” Irene corrected, glad that there was something to look at other than Wendy.

“Don’t avoid the question.” Wendy tugged Irene around to face her. This time with her own hands. “I’ve noticed that no one around here refers to you as doctor, so you must still be a student. Am I right?”

It wasn’t too hard to deduct, but Irene was still surprised that Wendy had noticed.

“Yes.”

“Then leave and come finish your schooling with me. Do something better than working here.”

Irene’s first reaction was a resounding no, but as she pondered the thought of leaving, the idea started sounding a lot better. In fact, nothing had sounded this enticing in a long time.

“I can’t. I told you that I had family obligations.”

“Are you happy here?”

Irene looked away from Wendy to look around at the blocks that had started spinning faster. When she turned back to Wendy she was worried. Her frustration is effecting her performance.

“My happiness isn’t really a priority right now,” She lifted her hand to Wendy’s face again and brushed her thumb across her cheek, attempting to calm her down. “-but yours is so don’t try to fight me on this.”

Wendy’s facial features softened, but now there was tint of sadness to it. “Come with me. We can be happy together. If you make me leave here without you, I’m not sure I can promise that I’ll be happy at all.” Wendy pressed her hand to Irene’s and laced their fingers together.

Wow. I shouldn’t have let my feelings get so deep. She’s actually going to make me cry... I haven’t done that since mom.

“Don’t say things like that, Wendy. We haven’t really known each other that long anyway. You can’t possibly feel that way.” She knew that was a lie because she felt that way. Once Wendy left, she’d probably be working on autopilot. But that would have to suffice until everything was done.

There’s a brief look of panic that passes Wendy’s features. “Do you not feel it too?” She murmured, quieter than before. She was holding on to Irene’s hand even tighter, as if she was trying to prepare herself for rejection.

Irene’s internal battle was leaning towards Wendy, but before she could resolve her conflict there was giant clang. Irene and Wendy both turned towards the noisy with soft gasps of surprise leaving both of their mouths. Irene had expected to see a block that had fallen. Instead, she saw the door being opened without her consent.

She jumped back to put space between herself and Wendy, hoping no one saw how intimate they were being.

“Get back in the chair. Quick! Keep the blocks up and put your helmet back on,” Irene hissed. Wendy did as she was told.

Irene tried to push every feeling away so she could face her dad with her usual monotonous manner. He had stormed in looking like he was about to commit a murder.

“I give you this amazing opportunity, and this is how you repay me?!” He yelled. There was vein popping out from his neck, and Irene knew for sure that he was pissed. She didn’t expect to see forgiveness soon. Please don’t let this effect my duties.

“I apologize. I just felt that the conditions subject 22 was working in was having an effect on her performance. Hindering her ability so she wasn’t able to perform as she ideally could. As you can see,” Irene gestured to the floating weights above them. “-I was right.”

Her father looked up and, for a moment, looked impressed. But when he looked back at Irene, he was no less mad than before.

“Everyone stand back! Away from the weights!” He held his hand out to Irene, “The tablet, please.”

Irene handed it over knowing she would regret it, but she really didn’t have any other option. I know she was trying to keep her appearance up. That’s why the next thing that happened was so hard.

He tapped at the tablet, and just like that, the blocks all dropped with the loudest bang yet. It was enough to cover Wendy’s pain filled screams for a moment. She knew her father would be watching her for a reaction, but she wouldn’t give anything away. Not now. Wendy wouldn’t have a chance to get out if she did.

So watched Wendy scream in anguish with a blank face. She never smiled at the site the way her father did, so at least she didn’t have to pretend she enjoyed it. I was amazed at the way she played it off. It was the hardest thing she’s ever had to do. Why is he letting it go on for so long? I’m the one at fault for god’s sake!

Wendy was red now, her veins were starting to pop out further than her fathers were a moment ago. She could tell Wendy was trying to raise her arms in attempt to take off the helmet, the source of the neurotoxin, but she couldn’t lift them very far.

Falling in love is too painful. God, please let this stop. I honestly wasn’t sure if she was talking about the torture, or her love.

Finally, Wendy’s screams stopped, but it was only after she had passed out.

“Miss Bae, please tie her up properly.” Her father said it calmly, but she could hear the fury beneath the faux tone.

“As you say, Sir.” She walked over to her as if it was any other day, hearing the same request. She made sure not to let any touch linger, but god she wished she could take her in her arms and run away right now. I’ll go with you, and I swear I’ll keep you safe. Maybe it was a funny thought considering the power Wendy had, but at that moment, I believed she would.

She stepped back and went back to stand by her father.

“You managed to prompt something we thought would take weeks.” He said evenly. Irene waited for his follow up statement without responding. “Because of that, there won’t be any punishment, as long as you give us a very detailed report on everything that happened in here.” Irene nodded in agreement to the condition. “Do not think that something like this could happen again without dire consequences.”

“There won’t be a next time. I promise, sir.”

“Good.” Her father turned away to address another scientist. “Bring Sungjae in.”

Irene was thrown off by that. Why would they need Sungjae? They used him to get their subjects and nothing else, so why was he being called in?

 

_________________________________________________________

hope you liked

and

have a pleasant week