Sixteen

Thunder rolls

NOTE: It's been forever since I wrote this and i know i always jump from 3rd person to 1st thats because there's always so much time that passes between some chapters so I'm sorry hahah i almost wrote first person again but i went back and changed things because the most recent chapters weren' t - I think so anyway everyone i love you for reading

 

This was it. Solar in a deep breath and tried to stabilize herself.  She had to believe in the plan,that everyone would come out safe and that their best would be enough because this was going to be a big risk and as much as she didn’t like that, it was the best shot they had. 

 

Moonbyul grabbed her hand as she was exhaling and gave her a reassuring squeeze. Solar turned to her and smiled as best as she could, which was a little weak even Solar had to admit. Moobyul snickered at her attempt. 

 

“You think we’ll ever become experts at this kind of thing, and leave the nerves behind?” She asked, Solar knew, as an attempt to distract her. 

 

Solar shook her head. “If our lives are always hanging in the balance, I doubt it.” 

 

“I don’t know,” Wheein cut in from the passenger seat. “I think I’m dealing with my nerves a little better. I don’t feel like I’m gonna poop my pants the way I usually do.”

 

Hwasa’s boisterous laugh broke the tense air, somehow able to keep the car steady from the driver seat. “I can’t believe you felt like that too. The anxiety is not good on my stomach either, but I agree it’s minimally better, but that still counts, I think.” 

 

“Sweet! So, we just need to do this another hundred times more and we’ll be anxiety free!” Wheein cheered with a laugh, and they all joined her. Laughing in the face of impending boom was sort of just their thing now, it seemed. 

 

Solar felt relieved to be with the crew like this again even though they were on their way to Minji’s with a plan that was much less solid than Sungjae wanted, but it was one of those ‘it’s so crazy it just might work’ kind of things.

 

 The four of them were driving separately from the crew that Minji had in the facility (other than Moonbyul). They were all driving up at the same time, the other car was right behind them. Solar was thankful that Wheein’s vehicle could only seat them; she really needed this release of tension.

 

After getting Sungjae on board it wasn’t too hard to get everyone situated on what their job was because it was pretty straight forward. If this initial attack went right, then things would get a bit stickier for Sungjae, but Solar was confident he could handle it and so was he. So it wasn’t exactly the most elaborate or flushed out plan, but they had to work quickly before Minji could use her resources to her advantage. If they could take out her henchmen before she could orchestrate them, Solar believed, they just might be in the clear. That’s what she was counting on anyway. 

 

It turned out that after the great escape, Minji had grabbed everything and everyone she could and moved them all up to her estate. Solar doesn't know much other than that because she didn’t want to linger in her head for too long - she didn’t want Minji catching wind of her.That’s where they were heading. Thanks to Sungjae, they were able to get her exact location after Solar described what she saw to him.

 

“Imagine having to poop during a fight,” Moonbyul said in a mournful voice. “New fear unlocked.”

 

“Noooo!” Wheein yelled. “I wouldn’t be able to deal with it! Honestly,” Her voice went serious, “I would drop everything and find a bathroom immediately.” 

 

The four of them burst out laughing again, their loud joy filling the car.

 

“I’m with you though,” Hwasa said with one hand on the wheel and another wiping her eyes. “I’d do the same.” 

 

“Wow! Come on guys! Poop your pants for the team!” Solar said in mock offense.

 

“Yeah, guys.” Moonbyul joined in. “Poop your pants for the team!” 

She started chanting, “Poop your pants for the team! Poop your pants for the team!”

 

By the time Minji’s estate came into view, they were all chanting it. 

 

“Woah,” Wheein gasped as they quieted. 


“That’s close enough.” Solar said firmly, her focus coming back. She knew they couldn’t afford to lose the best advantage they had. 

 

Solar glanced behind them to see that the other group had  stopped and pulled off the road behind them as well. Solar gulped, this whole thing somehow felt like her burden, and that weight was feeling really heavy. Before Solar could reach out for the handle of the car, three hands reached for hers. 

 

“We’re all in this together.” Hwasa said matter of factly, nodding reassuringly at her as Solar caught her eye. 

 

“Yeah,” Wheein agreed, catching Solar’s eyes with a smile too. “Scoobi squad on three.”

 

Moonbyul chuckled, “Scoobi squad?” 

 

“Yeah,” Wheein said confidently, still grinning. “That’s like the go to crime fighting group of nitwits.” She then looked to Hwasa for support, knowing she’d find it there.

 

“For sure.” Hwasa nodded along clearly willing to agree with anything Wheein said. “Scoobi squad on three.”

 

“Alright,” Solar  gave in with a roll of her eyes, secretly loving it. She felt that weight lift, and was once again supported by her amazing group of friends. “One, two, three-” 

 

“Scoobi squad!” They all yelled. 

 

Feeling a new sense of confidence, Solar jumped out of the car with her squad. Maybe things will work out, maybe they won’t, but she knows that she did everything she could and she did it with the best people she knew. If those amazing people trusted her, she owed it to them to trust herself too. I’ll just fake it ‘til I make it. She thought. It’s time for me to lead this mission. 

 

Solar faced the other group and saw the doubt she was feeling before clearly written on their faces, other than Yeri that girl was out for blood. They couldn’t go into battle like that, Solar knew, she had to try to lift their spirits as well. 

 

Everyone huddled up and naturally looked at her. She didn’t falter under the attention and took it in stride instead. 

 

“This is it.” Solar looked at all of them. “I know it’s crazy, and dangerous but,” she paused for emphasis, “at this point we’re not just ensuring ourselves and our futures from Minji, we’re making sure we put a stop to all future experiments done by her apathetic hands.” 

Solar looked at everyone once again, catching each of their eyes and it looked like they were all feeling what she was saying and listening seriously, so she continued with the same energy. 

“None of us were trained to take out a paid militia, but by their own hands, they trained you how to use your powers to their most dangerous extent. Make them wish they were sorry they ever had,” she finished strongly. 

 

There were a couple moments of silence before Kibum spoke up.

 

“Yasss!” He snapped. “I love the dramatics, keep going.” 

 

The tension was relieved and everyone laughed. Solar rolled her eyes and accepted it. It wasn’t like her to have all wins in a day anyway. 

 

“All right, all right.” Solar calmed them down. “The perimeter of her estate is no joke. It’s going to take a while for everyone to get into position, and it’s going to be hard to really know whether you are in the right spot from the ground, so Hwasa is going to have a birds eye view with her stealth drone. Additionally, she’ll be able to inform us about the amount of people on the outside protecting the grounds. Sungjae informed us she’s pretty paranoid and cautious, so she might even have hired more guards by this point, so expect a lot. Once she gives me the signal, I’ll tell the rest of you.” She taps her head so they know how she’ll be doing that. “From there, you do whatever it takes to take out every person on this estate. Once that’s done,” She leaves no room for failure. “Sungjae will do his thing and we’ll be able to get Minji behind bars for everything she deserves.” 

 

Everyone nods at Solar without a trace of humor this time. “Okay, you know your groups, stick together the best you can and watch each other's backs. Wendy and Irene to the back left, Kibum and Dr. Bae to the front left, Moonbyul, Hwasa, Sungjae, and  me  to the back right, and Wheein and Yeri to the front right. Try to stay off the walkies as much as possible, too much chatter won’t do us any good. We need to concentrate, however we all have in-ears so we can keep a low profile, so if you need help, don’t be afraid to ask.” 

 

No one moves.

 

“Any questions?” Everyone shakes their heads. “Alright, let’s do this.” 

 

Finally everyone nods and murmurs her last sentence in response. Everyone looked bolder than she’s ever seen them before. They start to move out once they see Solar move away.  

 

Solar turns towards her destination with Moonbyul right beside her. Minji’s mansion was on the edge of their town and the trees weren’t as dense as the areas they’ve been in before, which was lucky for them so they could easily keep her estate in view. No one was going to get lost, but there was less cover moving in. 

 

“You did great, Babe, I’m really proud of you.” 

 

Solar looks at her girlfriend as she starts walking, accepting the compliment totally needing the reassurance. “Yeah?”

 

“Yes.” Moonbyul murmurs. “They all calmed down after it. You knew exactly what they needed.” 

 

Solar let’s out a laugh of relief. “Thank you. I needed to hear that.” Solar grabs Moonbyul’s hand for the additional strength, and makes the trek to their battle position. 



 

Minji’s property was just as big as suspected and it took about ten minutes for Sungjae, Hwasa, Moonbyul, and Solar to make it to the back corner. They were giving themselves a good amount of room to stay hidden, but still Solar thought Minji’s mansion was a bit excessive. 

 

“Alright, Jesus, finally,” Hwasa grumbles as she sets up her drone. 

 

It’s quiet and fast as it enters the sky. Hwasa’s focused on her screen as she checks the positions of the groups and finds our enemies.

 

“Okay Kibum and Dr. Bae are in a good position, tell them to hold it there.” Hwasa says without looking up. 

 

Solar quickly jumps into Kibum's consciousness and tells him just that. 

 

“Wheein and Yeri too.” 

Solar quickly let’s them know. 

 

It takes just a minute for Hwasa to find Wendy and Irene. 

 

“It looks like our last group just needs to head to their left just a bit. Tell them that, and I’ll check in on the henchmen.” 

 

“Will do.” Solar does just that.

 

As Hwasa scouts the area, Solar turns to Sungjae. “Alright, we agreed that you didn’t have to join in on the fight, so just hang back around here. I’ll let you know as soon as you’re clear to come in. Hwasa’s going to hang back here with you, and yes she has one of Dr. Bae’s guns, and yes it’s for you. We’re gonna need you, and I’ll make sure you come through no matter what.” Solar wanted to be mad at him for skipping out on the fight, it was as much his fight as anyone else's, but she didn’t want to waste her energy on him. As long as he came through at the most essential time, she could let it go, and he turned out to be pretty essential, much more essential than she’d like to admit.

 

“Sounds good,” He says calmly, not seeming to care about the threat, as he finds a place to sit. He settles against a tree and promptly closes his eyes. 

 

Solar watches him with vacant eyes, but inside she was trying to remain as passive as she was just moments ago. Moonbyul interrupts her before she could blow. 

 

“Come on now, let’s not worry about him.”

 

“Right. You’re right.” Solar sighs as she turns away and looks towards the mansion. 

 

Much like the Jung residence, Minji’s mansion was out in the middle of nowhere, but lucky for them, unlike the Jung residence, she didn’t bother with a fence. Which surprised Solar, but she doubted anyone ever came out here, which is why Minji probably  never felt like she had to build one, annnd because she had hired protection anyway. 

 

“So as we suspected the place is pretty heavily guarded, but it’s not overwhelming. I think if everyone utilizes their strengths well, we got this. I mean, I don’t know what’s going on on the inside, but I’d bet Minji doesn’t like too many people in her space. We can hope for that at least.” Hwasa says finally looking up from her screen.

 

Solar didn’t feel relieved or disappointed by any of this. It was as suspected, which meant they’d be blindsided once they got inside, but they were never totally blind as long as Moonbyul and her were there.


So she just nodded. “Thank you, Hwasa, I’ll let the others know.”

 

This time Solar used the walkie to communicate with everyone. “So far there are no surprises, everyone. There’s a lot of hired guards and, for the most part, we’re blind on the inside. But Moonbyul and I will break in to find Minji as quickly as possible. If anyone has any objections, or something to say, bring it up within the next minute or so, after that, I’ll be giving the signal for everyone to move in. Once that happens, it’s important everyone does their part to spread out the henchmen as thinly as possible and knock them out as promptly as possible.”

 

The radio broke off letting everyone know Solar was done. There was a pause before Wheein’s voice entered her ear. 

 

“So serious,” Wheein laughed half-heartedly into her coms, Solar could tell it was a half-hearted attempt to ease the true seriousness of the situation. “But we’re good on our end.” 

 

“Us too,” Kibum said after Wheein. 

 

“Irene and I are as ready as we can be.” Wendy entered the radio waves right after. 

 

“Awesome,” Solar said to herself. Maybe her new found confidence was slipping a bit - that was only natural. 

 

Before she could fully freak out, there was Moonbyul’s beautiful face right in hers, blocking anything else from view. Her own personal manifestation of reverie. 

 

“Hey,” She said simply with a smirk, making Solar laugh with its simplicity. It was just so out of place. 

 

“Hey,” Solar replied, letting herself be pulled into Moonbyul’s safe little space she built for her. 

 

“I think tomorrow we should finally binge that show you’ve been begging me to watch.”

 

“Oh, really?” Solared laughed into Moonbyul’s chest, fully letting herself get lost in the moment. “It only took you three months to agree to it.”

 

Solar felt Moonbyul’s body shake softly against hers. “Ay, I was waiting for the right time.”

 

“Fine, you got yourself a deal. You can’t back out of it.” Solar pulled back again so she could look straight into her girlfriend’s eyes.

 

“I wouldn’t dream of it.” Moonbyul murmured right before pulling Solar in for a kiss. 

 

It wasn’t a ‘this is the end’ kind of kiss, it was a ‘there’s more where this came from’ kind of kiss, and you bet Solar was going to do everything she could to collect on that. 



I'd love to hear your opinions :)