15

Thunder rolls

 

Wendy was beginning to lose faith that she was going to get to have a one on one with Irene after finally escaping Minji’s grasp, but just as she was about to follow Yeri into the room they would be sleeping in for the night, Irene grabbed her hand and dragged her into the backyard.

They both stood in the darkness looking at each other with only the moonlight as their source of light. Wendy was grateful there was a full moon because she wanted to see every passing emotion and detail that passed over Irene’s face. After another beat of silence they both decided to try to say something at the same time.

“I just wante-”

“I’m sorry that-”

They both stopped and chuckled. Wendy motioned her arm towards Irene, “You go first. You brought me out here after all.”

Irene nodded looking nervous. She was grasping her hands tightly together, and Wendy wanted so badly to step forward and do something to calm her nerves, but she didn’t really know where things stood outside those white walls, and now that the both of them had all their memories back it kind of felt like they were starting over, even though that was impossible. Not after everything they’ve been through.

“I just wanted to say that my feelings for you haven’t changed, but I know the circumstances have, and I know that since I was on the other side of things,” she paused and looked away like she was in pain. “you may not see me as anything but someone who put you through a horrible traumatic experience.”

Wendy was speechless. She knew where Irene was coming from, and maybe under different circumstances, one where Irene wasn’t held under mind control, it would have been messed up for them to try and pursue anything, but she was, and despite that she fought for Wendy. It wasn’t perfect, but Wendy was finding out that nothing in life seemed to be.

“Stop. Honestly, don’t go there.” Wendy said as she stepped closer. “I know how unideal our situation is, but I don’t see you as the villain.” Wendy lifted her hand to Irene’s cheek, and looked straight into her eyes as she said, “You are a victim too.”

Irene didn’t respond for a moment, looking choked up. She eventually shook her head lightly trying to brush off Wendy’s words, but she didn’t have the strength to step away.

“It’s not the same.”

“No,” Wendy agreed. “Maybe our experiences weren’t the same, but that doesn’t change the fact that you went through something traumatic too.”

Irene finally allowed herself to hold Wendy’s intense gaze, and she shuffled slightly closer. Wendy saw her swallow back another lump of nerves. “So when you look at me, you just see me, and not just an abuser?”

“No,” Wendy gasped shocked to think that Irene thought she’d see her like that. “No, never.”

Irene’s demeanor finally relaxed, and an uncontrollable smile formed on her face. She opened like she was about to say something but closed it.

Instead, she reached for Wendy’s hand and entwined their fingers together.

“I’m just so relieved that I’ll get the chance-” Irene was abruptly interrupted by Wendy.

“Kiss me.” Wendy knew that Irene needed more reassurance about how she felt, and Wendy wanted it. She knew that the world would fall away when Irene pressed herself to her. She wanted the comfort of Irene's body against hers. She needed it. 

Irene studied her face for just a moment before she used her free hand to grab Wendy by her waist and pull her towards her. 

With Irene’s lips pressed on hers, Wendy knew nothing but Irene, and she was wrong - this was perfect, and she wanted more. She dropped Irene’s hand so she could wrap her arms around Irene’s neck and hold her close. 

There was so much that they could have been thinking about, but God did they need the escape. Every moment they’ve known each other they’ve been in a stressful environment, in an insane situation, but right then, they didn’t need to think about any of it. They were okay for now, why not take advantage of that? 

 

When they finally broke apart, they leaned their foreheads against each other, just breathing, letting themselves feel their hearts hammer. Just savoring the moment.

 

"It was better." Irene finally broke the silence wearing a heart jerking smile.

 

Wendy met her eyes with evident adoration. "What was?"

 

"The kiss," Irene answered like it should have been obvious. "The kiss was better than I ever thought it could be."

 

Wendy couldn't help but giggle at Irene's admission. "Ah, so you've thought about us together like this?”

Irene leaned back and gave Wendy a smug look. Wendy had never seen Irere like that before, and Wendy's body immediately reacted to it. She had to ball her fist to keep herself in check.

"Well, yeah. Look at you."

 

Wendy laughed a little shocked at Irene's flirting. This was the first time she got to see anything like that from her, so of course she blushed. She hid her face by dipping her head towards Irene's chest, hiding her face in Irene's neck.

 

"Wow. I didn't think you'd say things like that."

 

Irene didn't let Wendy hide her face for long. She gently cupped Wendy's check and raised her face so she could see the fondness evident on her face.

 

"I didn't think I did either." Irene murmured with a bashful smile that gave away that she was a little embarrassed but nonetheless she leaned forward to give Wendy a chaste kiss. Well it started off as chaste, but Irene kept coming back for more and the soft sounds Wendy made were clearly an indication that she didn't mind one bit.

 

“Okayy,” Wendy chuckled and pulled back just a little bit. “We should probably head back inside and try to get some sleep.”

 

“No.” Irene pouted cutely. How could Wendy reject that? “Here.” She turned around with a furrowed brow looking for somewhere to sit. “Ah, here.” Her face lit up again as she pulled Wendy to the vacant seat. “Sit with me awhile. I doubt we’ll be getting any sleep tonight anyway.” Irene sat first and pulled Wendy down with her, so she was comfortable in her lap.

Wendy started laughing, and Irene watched her for a moment savoring the genuine joy Wendy was finally able to experience, but she was curious to know what it was all about to let it go on for too long. “Why are you laughing?” 

 

“You’re just really different when you’re just you, and I really like it.” Wendy could barely make out the blush that passed over Irene’s features in the moonlight. 

 

“Well, I meant to say earlier, before I was interrupted”-She poked Wendy’s side making sure she knew who’s fault that was-“that I’m glad we get the chance to really get to know each other.”

 

Wendy got quiet and played with Irene’s fingers instead of speaking her mind. 

 

“Go ahead,” Irene urged.

 

“Where are you going to go after Minji is actually gone?” Of course, reality would have to make itself known at some point.

 

Irene hummed acknowledging the question. Irene had to know this was coming but it seemed like she didn’t think it would be asked this soon. 

 

Soon enough she had an answer. “I only have a couple of credits left… So, I’m just going to complete them at your school. I need” She emphasized need. “a change in scenery. I want to go somewhere unrecognizable.” She smirked. “So I’m not just going for you.” Then she whispered. “But maybe a little.”

 

It was a good enough comfort for Wendy. At least, for the moment. She supposed it didn’t matter really until they got Minji off their back, and maybe it was unfair to ask so soon after they’ve just escaped. Things needed to settle down before they should be thinking about such things.

 

“Okay,” Wendy said, letting the heavy things fall away once again. Instead she turned her head to look up at the moon. She sighed and leaned back even further into Irene’s arms, confirming the end of that conversation. 


 

Irene chuckled and turned herself to face the moon too. It was a weird moment for her. She realized she hasn’t sat back to enjoy anything like this in what seemed like forever. It was finally hitting her that she truly lost a couple years of her life. She tried not to dwell on it. She decided instead to enjoy this. 


 

“This is where Sungjae lives?” Yeri asked with anger in her tone. “How much did you guys pay him?”

Irene sighed. She still felt guilty about everything and bringing up stuff like this only made that emotion hit harder. “Too much, but this isn’t actually his place. This is one of Minji’s, and to tell you the truth I don’t actually know how she got all her money.” Irene took the lead and was standing at the door ready to knock, but before she could even do it Sungjae opened the door and looked at them with a curious/eerie smile.

“Ah, I heard that you had escaped, but I gotta say I’m a little surprised to see you guys here.” His eyes searched all their faces all while maintaining that curious smirk. “So... what can I do for you?”

Solar took it upon herself to answer since it was her idea in the first place. “We have a proposition for you actually. Can we come in and talk it over?”

His smirk finally broke with a laugh. “You are bold.” He clicked his tongue. “You’ve peaked my interest. Come on in.” He turned around fast and waved them in. 

Solar and Moonbyul looked at each other barely able to hold in a laugh. They were clearly thinking the same thing -> this guy was lame. He had that cocky disposition that only someone oblivious to others point of view would maintain. Or maybe he did know, but he didn’t care which made it worse. 

The moment he gave the indication that he was going to be letting them in, Yeri burst through the door like it was her own house and found the kitchen. Solar only knew this because she came back with a snack.

“So,” Sungjae started barely glancing at Yeri as she passed him. He led the rest of them into the living room. “What is this proposition? You know I could probably call her right now and get a good reward. Convince me. Why shouldn’t I?”

Solar maintained steady eye contact with him while she tried to decide on what angel to take. Sungjae could have the best poker face in the world, but there was nothing he could hide from her, and she knew that that wasn’t really something that he wanted to do. She knew that he hated Minji too. He just had some sort of deal worked out with her, and it was provisional. Or at least it was made to seem that way. It was easier for him and Minji to pretend they were working together when really he was doing what he had to in order to survive. Solar saw all of this so easy now it was like she can get a reading on a person without even trying anymore. 

Their powers were truly like a muscle that could be worked.

Solar didn’t want to reveal to him just how much she knew. She didn’t want to make him feel like he didn’t have any footing. She knew that it would make him more willing to offer his help if he got to act like he had any sort of hand in the mix. Just like his deal with Minji.

A small part of her wanted to skip everything and just make him do what she wanted, but the way she saw it, mind control was the last resort.

Solar was about to open to speak, but Irene beat her to it. Solar turned to look at Irene who was standing in the back very close to Wendy with crossed arms.

“Easy. You’ll truly be free. I know you want her gone as much as we do. Stop pretending and be real with yourself.” Irene didn’t speak harshly, but Solar could hear the resentment in her voice. And if eyes could kill...

Solar could feel that the way she spoke to him hit his pride in the wrong way, and he wanted to do something to lash out at Irene, but he wasn’t dumb. He knew what was truly in his best interest. So after a short glare session with Irene, he caved. 

“Me helping you guys, doesn’t ensure anything, so I’m going to need to hear a solid plan.” He looked around again, but this time his eyes stopped on Wendy and he nodded in approval. 

Despite Wendy, they had a powerful group, but she surely put them over the top. 

“Cool.” He murmured, and finally again he smiled. 


--------------------------------------

Honestly it been so long i'm sorry if the characterization is off

it the best i can do right now

i want to be done kinda to start something new or something
 

pls comment :)