Four

Thunder rolls

When lighting struck my brother, he gained the ability to read minds.

If you’ve found this page, chances are that you didn’t randomly stumble upon it. After the incident I experienced, I did the same thing. I researched to see if I was the only one to have seen such a magnificent thing. I can assure you right now that you’re not. It’s probably scary for you, and I understand that. So allow me to tell you my story, so that maybe you’ll feel more comfortable with me. I am a complete stranger after all.

For me, it all happened fourteen years ago. At that time, I still had my little brother. Before you get afraid that the strike was the reason he died, that’s only part of it. We actually didn’t know until then, but my brother had a heart disease and he wasn’t strong enough to survive it. I am certain things are different for you, dear reader.

My younger brother begged me to take him to the park on that nice overcast day, and even after many refusals, he persisted. It was one of those times you just had to say yes so he’d calm down. So I took him, and things were fine for a while. Actually, it seemed to be quite nice a day, and I wouldn’t have been surprised to see that we weren’t the only ones there. But we were because, as I learned later, the weather man predicted with certainty rain, rain, lightning, and thunder. No one in their right mind wanted to get caught in the storm that was predicted.

Boy was he right. I saw the darker clouds quickly roll in, and I knew it was time we left. I called my brother to come back so we could leave, but he was so stubborn. He had to finish his game with his imaginary friend. I realized at some point that yelling wasn’t enough, I had to climb up the jungle gym to drag him back to the car myself. I pulled him half way to the car before he was able to wriggle out of my grasp. He only ran a couple of feet before I was blinded by a bright light that shot down from the dark sky.

When my vision finally cleared, I for a moment, thought my brother had been abducted because I didn’t see him. Turns out, he had just been thrown so far I couldn’t make his body out through the now pouring rain. He was completely out when I got to him, but I saw his chest barely rise and fall. I scooped him up, and dashed to my car. I drove us to the nearby Emergency room as fast as I dared. I was just happy the roads were clear.

If it weren’t for his weak heart, he would have been fine. It didn’t take long for him to wake up, and when he did he acted brave and smiled. We could all see that it was a struggle, and we all knew there wasn’t much time left. His heart was slowly giving out, and I could blame no one but myself.

My parents and I never left his side for as long as we had him. He tried to act like his old self, but there were little differences. He would answer questions that never left our thoughts and we never could keep anything a secret around him. He just knew everything before it was said.

What could we think of it? Nothing that would come close to the truth. I never would have known if he didn’t decide to let me in.

When our parents had gone out to get food one day, I sat quietly in a chair moping in my guilt while I thought he slept.

I should have just said no and stayed firm, then we wouldn’t be here right now. He spoke up just as that thought ended and startled me.

“It was my own fault. You were just trying to be a good sister.”

I knew I didn’t say anything out loud. The room was dead silent before that moment.

“How’d you do that?” I asked while slowing standing up. Something really did change with him, I realized.

He shrugged “Come here and check something for me.”

I was about to protest and demand he tell me, but I knew my brother, so instead I just did as he asked and went over to his side.

“When I hear your thoughts, my head tingles a bit. Check it out for me. Is there anything there?”

I heard what he said, but instead of processing it, I moved some of his dark hair to expose some of his scalp. Pink scars followed the veins under his hair, making a web.

“Is there anything there?”

“So this is where you were struck. No wonder you didn’t remember anything.”

“I was really struck by lightning? Cool.”

“Yeah, and now it seems you can read minds...”

It wasn’t long after that he passed away. That stormy evening changed my life in many ways, as I’m sure it will change yours.

I just want you, dear reader, to know that you are not alone, and I am here. I know more now than I did then, and if you want to learn what that is, email me. I would be more than happy to share with you, and maybe if you’d like, you can share your experience with me. It’s as simple as reaching out.

Wheein's POV

Could this really be the person that has a girl locked up for experimentations? I know that they weren’t going to be blatant about it, but I almost didn’t want them to be a part of it. It seemed genuine, the story and everything. Yet, there was a possibility that all of this was fabricated.

“What do you think? Do you think that this is some sort of ploy to get scared people to put their trust in them?” I turned to Hwasa. She was looking at the screen with narrowed eyes like she was trying to see through the screen. She sat back and replaced the narrowed eyes with a cute crinkle in her brow.

“Hmm. I mean, that’s possible… Why don’t we look on some other pages to see if there’s anything else. Then we’ll come back and face the truth our parents have been telling since day one; never trust anyone on the internet.”

“Okay, yeah. That’s a good idea.”

It didn’t amount to anything. So we were back on the blog, now with the mouse hovering over the email link that was provided.

“Should we do it now or wait to tell the other two?” My heart was pounding, if I’m to be honest. This really seems like a messed up way to find people you’re going to take and do who knows what to them. They just go on and promise a person a bit of comfort right before they strike?

I mean we weren’t sure yet if that was the case, but I had a feeling. Plus, I couldn’t think of another way they could find who they were looking? Well, I guess they could look through medical records… That would explain why Solar and Moonbyul were safe right now. Solar didn’t go to the hospital, and although Moonbyul did, no one knew about the lightning.

Even then, this seemed like a more efficient way. This way made these scared and confused people reach out to them. Pretty genius, actually.

“We can just send it now, and maybe by the time we tell them we’ll have a response.”

“Alright, but what do we write?”

“May I?” Hwasa reached her arms out for the keyboard, so I nodded and scooched over so she could get closer. “I’m just going to use Moonbyul’s story. Let’s hope something comes out of this.”

 

“All done. Does it look good?”

“Yes, send it.” I burst of butterflies spread out through my stomach and I let out a frustrated yell. “Ahh! I can’t wait here for a reply. Take me somewhere.” I grabbed her arm and pulled her out of my room.

Hwasa tipped her head back and laughed. “Okay, okay, Wheein. Calm down.”

 

Solar's POV

“Are you sure there are no bears?”

Moonbyul chuckled softly besides me, and squeezes my hand. “Solar, how many times do I have to assure you? There are no bears. It’s winter anyway, they’re hibernating.”

Maybe we should be hibernating too. It was so cold. But instead, we were laying back on the grass, looking up at the stars because I couldn’t take being in my room. Where I would just keep thinking about our current problem.

“I don’t know. You could just be lying so you can see one of your brethren, the moon bear.”

“You’re right, I miss them. I was hoping they’d eat you for me too.”

I reached over to try and smack her, but even while laughing she managed to block me. I huffed and layed back down, smiling.

“Isn’t it funny how there’s a sun and moon bear? It’s cute, isn’t it? There's a Solar bear and a Moonbyul bear.”

“Yeah, pretty cute. Except the sun bear is kinda ugly… Well, I guess that isn’t too far from us...”

“Moonbyul, I swear I’m gonna kill you!” I roll over so I can tickle attack her. She immediatly tries to wriggle away.

“No! No, Solar! Please! You know I’m kidding!”

She eventually pins my hands together and stares up at me with a flushed smile on her face.

“You know what I really think of you, right?”

I nodded. “Yeah, I do.” I mean, of course I did.

“What do I think of you?”

“Um… You think I’m beautiful?” Putting it into words was another thing.

“Yes. And?”

“And… Funny?”

“Yes. You’re the funniest person I know. Go on.”

“I don’t know... Smart?”

She smirks a little. “You definitely have your moments but yes, you’re very smart.”

“Moonbyul, I don’t know what you’re getting at.”

“You’re also, kind, generous, brave, and overall perfect to me. I just want you to know, that however this turns out. If we can’t do it this time, if we can’t succeed, I’ll still see you the same. I’ll love you just the same.” She finally let go of my hands, so she could push my hair back and hold my face. “I know that the burden feels heavier on you because you have to give us some insight, but I never want you to feel pressured. We may have powers, but we’re not Superwoman. There’s only so much we can do. I know earlier I was kind of… Well, I was angry.”

“But nothing’s changed, you matter to me the most. So if we can’t do it, so be it.”

Why is she always so romantic? I hated it when my throat tightened up.

“You’re so sappy.”

“Admit it. You love it.”

“Face it Byul, no one loves it.” A voice interrupted out of nowhere.

I turned my head and saw Hwasa and Wheein coming out from behind the dark trees. I turned back to Byul, she looked just as surprised as I felt.

“You didn’t hear them?”

“It’s hard to care what’s going on out there, when I have you here with me.” She grinned teasingly.

“And she’s still going at it.” Wheein said shaking her head.

“I got so lost in your eyes, nothing else mattered.”

Wheein gagged.

“Moonbyul, please.” Hwasa pled.

I laughed and slapped her shoulder blushing just hoping the two other girls couldn’t see. “No, for real though, you didn’t hear them?” I knew that she closes her surroundings off sometimes, but it was never one hundred percent off.

“Yeah, and I’ve gotten good at blocking things out. I guess we both can always improve.” She grinned proud, and I could help but smile in response to evident her pride.

I guess, I always sort of considered her at her optimal skill when it concerned her ability. She was always the one teaching me, after all.

“But that means you lied about the bears.”

“Trust me. There are no-“

“I think I just heard about a bear attack last week.” Hwasa interrupted.

“Me too. I heard it was brutal.” Wheein murmured. “Sad.”

I laughed at their antics, then at Moonbyul’s reaction to it.

“Who even invited you guys out here?” Moonbyul murmured bitterly as I helped pull her into a sitting position.

“We came to make sure you guys weren’t tainting our spot. Looks like we caught you guys just in time.” Wheein explained sitting down near us.

“Ooh. I guess you don’t know about those other times we came out here to taint up the place.” I said leaning back into Byul’s arms. “Huh, Byul?”

“We did some major tainting. Like on that rock over there and that log.” She pointed and I nodded along.

“Even in the spot you’re sitting in.” I added.

“Ew. Stop.” Wheein covered her ears and leaned into Hwasa, who laughed and threw an arm around her shoulder.

I didn’t miss how close they were to each other. I knew where things were almost certainly heading, and it made me happy for them. But sometimes, I wanted to yell at them to just talk to each other about it because it was frustrating to know all their feelings. But I knew it was right to just let them be.

“We should bring a grill out here and make us some steaks or something.” Hwasa suggested looking up at the moon.

“Yeah! We can have a barbeque with beer and stuff.” Wheein grinned excited at the thought.

“We could use the small grill my dad has but never uses.” I turned to look at Wheein, knowing she’d know exactly what I was talking about.

“Oh yeah! He still owes me a steak!”

“I shall fulfill his promise for him, Wheein. I shall.”

“Are you good at grilling though?”

“Hwasa is.” Moonbyul interjected.

“You are?” Wheein turned to her amazed.

“Yep.”

“And you never told me?” Wheein asked in disbelief.

“It was never relevant until now.”

“Anything pertaining to food is always relevant. That settles it though. This is happening.” Wheein said.

“I’m in.” We all chimed in one by one.

At that moment, everything seemed right out there, under the moon.

=--------------------------------

the shortest chapter so far

but i figure it's cuz it's right before the storm

i think 

idk tho

We'll see