Chapter 6

Sorry, I'm Late

The very instant he stepped out of the convenience store, Minhyun saw a man, seemingly in his mid-30s, holding onto you by your elbow as he helped you up from the ground and dashed over immediately.

You placed your hand before you as you mustered a slight smile, trying hard to reject the elder's offer of bringing you to a hospital while at the same time disregarding the sharp pain in your knee. ‘Ahjussi, you don’t have to, it’s really fine.’ 

‘No, I have to-‘ But before he could say another word, he was shoved away hard and you soon found Minhyun's arm wrapped around your waist as he supported you up.

‘Are you okay?’ And it did not take much to notice that he didn't sound too pleased. 

‘O-Oppa I’m fine- It’s just a small wound-‘

However, you having a bleeding knee was definitely not okay to him, and he immediately turned to glare at the person who knocked into you, only to have his tone soften when he recognised the male before him.

‘Mr Park?’

'Oh- Minhyun-ah!' The elder exclaimed as he looked between the both of you, 'I'm so sorry- I was in a rush back to the office and was too occupied with my phone that I accidentally knocked into her.'

'It's okay, I'll just bring her to see a doctor first-' You watched as Minhyun became much more polite, silently glad that you did not have much mediating to do.

'Let me bring the both of you there, my car is just round the corner.'

'But you said that you're in a rush-'

'It's alright, the chairman will kill me if he heard that I injured your girlfriend and left the both of you here. Give me a moment and I'll be right back.'

And only when Mr Park disappeared down the pathway, did you turn to him, pulling onto his arm lightly. 'Oppa, I really don't have to go to a hospital.'

Though you were expecting the response he soon gave when he frowned at you after eyeing your wound. 'No. We're going.'

'Who was that though?'

'My dad and this chairman of another company are kind of best friends, and Mr Park helps that chairman with his errands.'

'Oh.' Was all that you uttered, you were pretty sure that you would not be involved with this series of relationships and decided not to pry into it. 





'I'm really sorry, it really wasn't on purpose.' Mr Park repeated again for the nth time as he looked at the both of you through the mirror. 

'I'm really fine. I wasn't really alert too.' And all you could do was to smile back, not sure what else you could say when the both of them was determined to have you checked at the hospital. 

'I hope it's nothing too big, or else I'll get into trouble if Chairman Hwang found out that I scarred his daughter-in-law.'

Daughter-in-law? 'We're not-' You quickly tried to correct him, only to be silenced by a slight chuckle from the person seated next to you with a tight grip on your hand. 

'Dad doesn't know that we're together yet.' 

'Oh- Why not?'

'I'll tell him soon. Until then, keep it a secret from Chairman Jung too?'

'Sure, no worries.' 

The entire time, Minhyun did not look at you as you kept your eyes stuck on him. But- we're not 'together'. At least, not yet. 

 


 

You have been increasingly jittery ever since that day Minhyun said that you were together. Here on one side, he declared that you were together when you still had not mentioned anything. There on the other side, you could barely even see a hint of his shadow when you were supposed to be together. And now, every single time you saw one of them, you were reminded of how horrible a person you were, and how you were supposed to make a decision soon. No matter what your decision were, you had to put an end to Dongho's seemingly endless waiting.

But recently, you haven't been seeing much of the said person and it was starting to turn you into a nervous wreck.

You sighed as you stared at the latest message while your phone buzzed twice in your hand.

     From: Minhyun oppa
     So, tomorrow evening by the beach?


It was your birthday the next day, and you have been silently looking forward to it - your first birthday with Dongho. However, your mood has been deteriorating when you did not hear from him ever since the movie date. On the other hand, Minhyun has been repeatedly checking if you could leave some time for him on that special day.


 


 

But when the message did come, your mind was in a mess again. 

     From: Dongho oppa 

     Are you free now?

He didn't even wish me Happy Birthday...

Now? It's already 6pm- Your grip on your phone immediately tightened as you looked around you. It was starting to get crowded as more people were appearing with their picnic mats and takeaways to wait for the sunset. And it was 30 minutes before the time which you agreed to meet Minhyun at.

Did he finally have enough of me? Did all these time apart brought him to a conclusion that he can live without me? Did he have enough time to think through everything and now he's going to tell me that he's not going to wait anymore? 

The more you let your mind wander as the sound of the waves crashing onto the shore surrounded you, the more horrible you felt as your heart starting racing and your palms starting sweating. 

And that was when it hit you. 

Even if he was going to break it, you had to talk to him before he could do it. Now that he no longer came to you first, you had to go to him. 

 

 

 

 

Dongho tapped on his phone repeatedly, checking for any new notifications as he paced to and fro in the room, only to end up back by the dining table as he glanced at the spread of food before him. Is she mad? Why is she not replying? Will she come?

All of a sudden, he heard the door to his house click open, and before he could turn around to even register the sound of the intruder's footsteps, he was taken aback when he felt something grab tightly onto him by his back. 

'I'm really sorry oppa, don't leave me. Please.' You cried as you clung onto Dongho, your face buried in the back of his shirt. 

'Dahyun-' Dongho started, confused as he tried to turn around to face you, but he was firmly rooted to the ground and you did not give him a chance to continue.  

'I'll do better, I just wasn't certain if I really could be in a relatioship- But after t-this, I don't want to be without you- Please oppa-' 

Your further babbles were silenced when Dongho who finally had enough of your nonsense pried your arms off him and lifted your chin gently to look straight into your eyes.

'Kim Dahyun, I'm not going anywhere.' He whispered, 'Why did you suddenly think that way?'

'But- I thought you- I didn't hear from y-you and I just thought you finally had enough of me-' You hiccupped as your eyes darted away from him, still convinced that Dongho wanted to leave you, and that he was just being nice by choosing a more gentle approach. 

'I told you I will wait, didn't I?'

'But-'

'Now, why is our birthday girl drenched in tears hmm?' Dongho chuckled lightheartedly as he wiped your tears off, and you could see his eyes glistening slightly too.

'I thought you forgot about me, and then when y-you asked to meet tonight- I thought you were g-going to-' And unconsciously, your tears started flowing again as your arms remained tightly around him and in frustration, you dug your face back into his chest.

'Yah, yah. Kim Dahyun. Shhh. I'm not going anywhere without you hmm? Now stop crying. Jonghyun will find out I made you cry if you go home with swollen eyes.' He felt his heart wrenching when you continued to cry, but at the same time felt relieved that he finally found out how you felt. 
'I needed time to think, and no matter how much I thought about it, I realised that I needed you to be around. I'm sorry I took so long to get back to you.'

You sniffed slightly as you did not make any effort to move away from him as his hand patted your head gently, 'I'm sorry too.' 


 

 


'Dongho oppa.' 

Dongho looked at you curiously when you broke the silence. Once you were done with dinner, the both of you settled with cuddling on the couch with you clinging onto him again, something that the both of you very much needed after two weeks away from each other. 'Hmm?'

'Can I stay here tonight?' And the way you perched on his arm as you asked him sent his heart racing as his hold around you tighten unconsciously. 

'I-I'm not the one you should ask for permission.' 

'Then you can ask Jonghyun oppa?' He could not help but to let out a shaky sigh when you started to lean closer into him as you pouted slightly. Two weeks- How did I even survive two whole weeks without this girl-

'You do the calling. He'll snap at me.' 

'But oppa will snap at you either way.'

'Yeah, but I'd rather him have one less opportunity to snap at me.'

'It's alright. I think it doesn't make much of a difference.'

'Shh, you don't know how much nagging I get from him.'

'I'm going to tell him that you made me cry!'

'Don't do that!'

'Oppa deserves a punishment-‘

A slight gasp escaped your lips when you were silenced by Dongho’s lips on yours, your eyes widening ten folds at the sudden kiss, that only lasted for mere microseconds. 

'Is this enough as a bribery?' 

‘But-‘

You weren't given a chance to continue as he once again closed the distance between the both of you, his arm holding you even closer while you unknowingly grabbed onto the edge of his shirt tightly as he deepened the kiss.


 


 

The both of you had a whole day of lecturing from Jonghyun the very next day. And neither of you were surprised. 

'I didn't even know that you were at Dongho's place and then you just drop me a text to inform me that you're staying over? You didn't even ASK FOR PERMISSION?'

You could not help but to giggle when you remembered Jonghyun's exasperation as he tried hard not to grab Dongho by the collar. 

'How long will oppa be harping on it this time?' You whispered when Dongho followed you into the kitchen, leaving the fuming male in the living room. 

'Probably quite some time. Since it's the first time you stayed over. Maybe he'll get used to it after a few more times.' He whispered into your ear as he wrapped his arms around you from behind as you started to prepare for lunch together. 

'KANG DONGHO!'

 

 

You sneaked a look at Jonghyun that morning, checking if he was still mad. But he did not bother to glance as you as he shifted his attention to the newspaper lying on the table before the both of you. And so did you. 

Chairman Jung of Jung Financial Group revealed to have a daughter that has been kept from the public. A twenty-one year-old that is currently studying in Seoul National University, pursueing a double degree in Business and Economics. Rumours have it that she'll tie the knot this autumn with the son of Chairman Hwang of Hwang Electronics, further deepening the bond between the both companies following its upcoming merger.

And there it was, a picture of you from your university student identification card, next to Minhyun's.

You could barely digest the information before you, before hearing a curse muttered from Jonghyun as he immediately reached for his phone.

 


 

[A/N] Update!! 

Thank you for the comments and subscribes! Hope that this chapter wasn't a disappointment ^^

<3