Chapter 5

Sorry, I'm Late


Dongho immediately turned to you when he heard a gasp, anxious that something might have-

'Why is he so handsome?' And when he looked back at what you were staring at, and saw Jun Jihoon on the screen, a sigh unconsciously escaped from himself. Half from relief that nothing bad happened, the other half from the fact that you were swooning over a movie actor right next to him.

He was actually getting himself absorbed in the movie. But turns out you weren’t on the same frequency, seeing how you were gasping nearly every single time a particular male actor appeared on the screen.

All Dongho could do was to console himself that every other girl would probably swoon over the actor, and well, he was on the screen for a reason. But he could not help but to turn to glare at you when you starting whining.

'Yah, are you doing that on purpose or what?' He asked, trying to sound annoyed when he was actually more amused.

'Shh, you're disturbing others.' With a whisper, you smacked onto his arm lightly before leaning back onto him.




However, it wasn't long later before the tear-jerking part arrived. And knowing that you were exceptionally prone to crying while watching shows, Dongho felt it coming.

It has always been a habit for you to subtlely wipe your tears with the cuffs of your jacket whenever you went to the movies with your friends. You did not want to make it obvious that you cried, since more often that not, you were the only one crying in the entire theatre.

But this time, you couldn't stop the tears from flowing nonstop, and soon found yourself being pulled into the comfort and warmth of his arms as he squeezed your shoulder gently.





You felt a light tug on your hand as you followed the crowd out of the cinema, getting pulled to a secluded corner only to have Dongho holding you gently by your shoulders so that you could look at him. 'You okay?' He brushed your fringe out of your face, before wiping your tear-stained cheeks lightly.

'Mhmm.' You sniffed, your eyes stuck wandering on his face as he made sure that you were no longer crying and waited for all signs of upset to leave your face.

Taking his hand that lingered on your face and holding it tightly, you started smiling, and Dongho had an inkling that you were going to say something strange again. ‘Oppa.'

'Yeah?'

'He really is good looking.'

'Yah! I was so worried that-' Dongho muttered in frustration as he was soon heading away from you, but he was interrupted by your giggles as you hugged onto his arm tightly, dragging him in the direction of the exit.

‘Oppa, you know I did it on purpose to see your reaction right? I don’t really like him.’ You grinned slightly as you leaned against him, fiddling with his hands in yours.

‘Are you sure about that?’ He squinted at you, and you soon erupted in giggles again.

‘Maybe.’

Oh what am I supposed to do with you?







'Do you want to come in?' You asked, already half tugging Dongho into the house while you kicked off your shoes.

But him being much stronger than you were, he barely moved much as he was the one holding you back instead. 'It's late already, and you have morning lessons tomorrow, don't you?'

You knew you asked a yes-or-no question, but you weren’t expecting ‘No’ for an answer. Especially when he always came in without you asking.

'But-'

'That's not going to work on me.' You bit onto your lower lip when he tapped on your forehead once you started pouting. 'Sleep early or your eyes will be swollen from all the crying just now. See you tomorrow.'

'You sure? The last time you said 'see you tomorrow', I only saw you a few days later.'

You tried to disregard the slight hesitation you noticed, before a chuckle escaped from Dongho as he answered you again. 'Of course I'm sure.'

Without giving any chance for you to retaliate anymore, he shouted loudly into the room, 'Jonghyun-ah! I'm leaving first!'

'Yeah!' The shout was returned.

'See you.' And with a quick peck on your forehead, he was gone.




 


You couldn't tell if it was merely you being paranoid, or if Dongho was really putting some distance between the both of you.

Well, if oppa is avoiding me, he wouldn't have suggested to watch a movie together right?

But I don't even see him often anymore...

Then again, he must be busy with some stuff. He can't possibly come down every day right?

But why does it seem that he got much more busier after Minhyun appeared?

Maybe it's just me.


...

You sighed as you slumped in bed. Right when you were about to resign into despair, you remembered that your boyfriend’s best friend happened to live under the same roof as you and you quickly rushed out of your room.

'Jonghyun oppa?' Not hearing anything, and only noticing the closed toilet door, you plopped yourself down in his designated seat as usual, and watched as the monitor lit up.

But before you could finish comprehending the information before you, the screen was switched off abruptly.

'Oppa?' Was all you could utter as you stared in shock at Jonghyun who had a towel over his hair, and the cable to the computer in his hand.

'Hah...' Jonghyun panted slightly as he tried to cover his panic with a broken laugh. 'Oh- I thought it was over-heating, must have pulled out the wrong cable accidentally. What are you doing here?'

'N-nothing.' You mumbled, before quickly retreating back to your room.




You were hoping to gain enlightenment on your problem at hand. But not only were you not given the chance to start on that, you now had a new problem.

Procedures for adding a legal family member?

It must be just me right? Why would he- They're all being too strange.

Or am I just overthinking too much these days?

Right?



 




You were certain that Jonghyun knew that you wanted something from him. Especially when you were staring at him hard, since the moment you woke up.

But the older male just kept eating his breakfast before you as though everything is perfectly fine.

Do I ask, or do I not?

'Jonghyun oppa-'

'Right, how was the movie yesterday? I heard it's a good movie.' He quickly intercepted, hoping to avoid last night’s event at all costs.

Once you returned to your room that night, he went into panic mode as he rummaged through his brain, thinking of a way to explain the site that he was at.

Should I just feign ignorance? I can just tell her that she was probably seeing things right? Anyway she didn’t even get to look at that page for long.

Why did I even leave it there in the first place!!

'Yes it was. About last night, what was that?'

'Hmm? I was just gaming the entire time.'

Then what was a government website doing on the screen? You wanted to ask him that, but you weren't sure if you should. It wasn't as if Jonghyun was doing anything illegal for you to be questioning his actions. But, family member? That was only left with me, right?

'Oh okay.'

Jonghyun tried not to make his sigh obvious as he continued to dig into his food. That was easier than what I had expected.





 


'Where's the rest?'

'I don't know.'

And with that gloomy answer, you were pulled back by your elbow as you soon saw Minhyun scrutinizing you at your eye level. 'Did something happen? You've been frowning the entire day.' He said as he poked your cheeks lightly.

'They're acting really strange recently.'

'They?'

'Jonghyun and Dongho oppa.'

'Why?'

'I don't know...'

You heard a sigh from Minhyun. Great. Now not only are you frustrated, you are sharing your frustrations with him when he knew absolutely nothing about it.

‘How about we go get your favourite ice cream to have your mind off these things for a while?’



It wasn’t long after the both of you left the university compounds when Minhyun caught sight of something disappearing round the edge of the street. Something tall, black, and familiar. And immediately, Jonghyun's voice resounded in his head. I wouldn't feel too good with them digging too much into her family background.

But after all these years, Minhyun knew that it would be impossible if he continues to hang around you. And he wasn’t planning to distance himself from you anytime soon now that he finally found you.

'Oppa?' You asked, seeing the colour drain from his face all of a sudden. And your line of sight was immediately restricted to the front when his arm appeared over your shoulder.

'Hmm?'

'Did you see someone?'

'I got the wrong person. Don’t worry.’

But Minhyun did not realise that his grip on you unconsciously tightened when he saw the person in black resume his pursuit on the both of you.

All the while, you noticed that Minhyun kept turning back and looking around. And though he tried to keep it from you, you could sense that he was nervous about something.

Is Minhyun oppa hiding something too?


 



[A/N] Update!!! So sorry to keep all of you waiting >< But hope that this chapter was fine nonetheless!!

Comments and subscribes will be greatly appreciated~

Thank you! <3