Chapter 2

Sorry, I'm Late

Once Minhyun entered the house to find Jonghyun rooted to his computer, he knew all attempts to make a conversation would be wasted that day. But after making a round through the house and realising that the only one left was Jonghyun, he found himself making his way to his desk. 

'Where's Dongho?'

'Fetch Dahyun.'

Those two words didn't settle well with Minhyun. And he didn't want to imagine it either. 'Fetch Dahyun?'

'From work.'

'Work?'

'Address is on her notice board next to her table.'


 

 

 

 --- Flashback ---

'Dahyun, he's here again.'

Without saying a word, you took over the cashier from your best friend co-worker, spotting who Nayoung was referring to.

You didn't think much about it, but your coworkers were starting to point out that he only ordered when you were at the counter, and that he would often watch you as you worked.

'I think he likes you.'

You gave him another glance, and this time you made eye contact with him, and he gave you a slight smile, to which you simply looked ignored as you focused at the customer that was heading towards the counter.

 



The moment you keyed in the orders while the customer headed back to her table, Nayoung was back by your side, whispering into your ear. 'Did he ask you out?'

Ignoring her, you occupied yourself with the menu. But Nayoung knew you too well. 

'Is this because of your ex?'

And with the mention of the taboo topic, you turned to glare at her. However, that wasn't enough to keep from talking. 

'Why not? Maybe you'll be more optimistic if you're with someone like him, he looks like a great guy.'

 



Never did you know that Baekho knew who you were from the very start, and he visited the cafe which you worked at frequently for a purpose. He knew that you were Jonghyun's younger cousin, the one that moved in with him not too long ago, and always locked yourself up in your room whenever the boys would come over to hang out. 

You were doing a pretty good job at avoiding them, seeing that Baekho never saw you at your place.

However, that one time where the bathroom managed to flood your room, and you had to evacuate from it, you ended up meeting them as you had no where to hide. And Jonghyun refused to turn them away. 

'Hey Miss Dahyun.' Baekho grinned as he waved to you, while you simply looked back at him, confused. 

'You know each other?' Aron asked as he quickly got comfortable, along with Minki. You were obviously the only one who was uncomfortable with their presence. 

'She works at the cafe that I go to.'

'Or do you mean you go to the cafe that she works at?' Minki asked too, to which Aron added again. 

'That's actually two very different things.'

Jonghyun eyed Baekho slightly, and he quickly shook his head hoping that his ears were not already turning red. 'It's not what you think it is!'

'How do you even know what am I thinking?'

'I don't!' 

Not being able to cope with the lively atmosphere the boys managed to make, you silently retreated into the kitchen as you looked for something to cook for them. 

But it wasn't long before your newly found personal space was invaded. 

You felt a poke at your shoulder and jerked slightly, turning to find Baekho standing next to you. He managed to escape from the bickering this soon? 'Do you need help? I can cook a little.'

Before you could respond, or even try to, you heard Minki screaming from the living room. 

'Yah! Kang Dongho! Are you going to the kitchen she's in or is she in the kitchen you go to?'

You saw how his neck immediately turned red as he waved his hands before him in denial. 'I'm not doing anything. I'm just trying to help!' 


 

 

 

The very next time that Baekho appeared at the cafe, which was only a few days later, had Nayoung stuck closely next to you again. 

'Did I hear wrongly? You just called him oppa didn't you?'

I could barely hear myself. How did she even hear me when she was even further away? 

'So what's the progress now? Did he ask you out? Did you agree? How long has it been?' 

     ------


'Your boyfriend's here.' A smile immediately lit up your face as you peeked through the shelves from where you were and caught a glimpse of him.

'How obvious can you even get.' Nayoung sighed as she shook her head at you.

'What did I do?' You grinned, composing yourself before heading to the counter where he could see you from.

You could tell that he was trying to spot you as he strained his neck from where he sat, but once you weren't hidden by the shelves, he smiled and gave you a slight wave.

'Must he really only order when you're at the counter?' You threw a glare at Nayoung who teased you once Baekho made his way to the cashier. 'Really?' 

'The usual?' You asked, 'Or does oppa want something else today?'

Baekho pursed his lips as he did not remove his eyes from you, and just at that moment, Nayoung interrupted swiftly as she walked past.

'I didn't know the menu was on Dahyun's face.'

I swear she is so annoying- You saw Baekho's ears turning slightly red and you immediately regretted suggesting to choose your workplace as a dinner spot.

'T-The usual it is then.' Baekho gave you an embarrassed smile as you took the money from him, his hands brushing against yours slightly. 

'Oppa I'll be done soon!' You whispered quickly just when he was about to turn away and got a slight nod from him.


 



'What was that for!' You whispered as you smacked Nayoung not-so-lightly.

'What did I do? I'm not the one dating at our workplace am I?'

'He just came to get a drink, that's all.'

'Sure, and he's doing it on a weekly basis for the past one year and who knows how many months.' 

 

 



The chimes on the entrance rang lightly but you were too occupied to pay attention to the new customer as you got ready to clock out of work.

But your ever talkative coworkers were soon at it again.

'Oh my god. Who's the new guy.'

'I don't remember seeing him around.'

'He's quite, scratch that. He's insanely good looking.'

'EH DAHYUN! HE'S SITTING NEXT TO YOUR BOYFRIEND.' Only then did you finally turn to the 'new guy' when you heard Nayoung's  loud voice across the work area behind the counter, your eyes widening at both her comment, and the identity of the male.

Before you were given the chance to even react, Baekho's quick glance told you that he probably heard what Nayoung just said shouted.

'Do you know him? Do you? He knows your boyfriend well obviously he does. HEY HE'S LOOKING OVER HERE.'

Why must the manager be out at this time, look at her, she's uncontrollable. You sighed as you threw a glare at your friend.

Just then, you looked at the clock which happened to strike 6 and took off your apron, before heading for the changing room without responding to her.




 

 


'Minhyun-ah, Dahyun says that you have to order your food at the counter if you want any.' Baekho said as he looked at the message you had just sent him. 

'What about you?'

'I got mine, just before you came.' 

'But she's not at the counter already?'

'She probably went to change. Her shift just ended.'

'Oh. Okay.' Does she not want to speak to me that much?
 

 




'You know your co-workers were slightly loud.' Was the first thing Baekho said as you settled in the seat next to him, while Minhyun took the seat opposite him. 

'I nearly went deaf.' You mumbled, to which got a slight chuckle from him who knew too well how your co-workers were like. 

'Was it busy today?' Baekho asked as he gently squeezed your shoulders, massaging lightly to loosen the stiff knots.

'It was okay.' You frowned as you looked at your continuously buzzing phone on the table and glared at your co-workers as they tried using sign language from the counter.

'What's wrong?' Baekho asked, spotting your change in expression and looked over at the influx of messages. 

     What's his name?

     Who's that?

     How old is he?

     Can you get his number for me?

     DOES HE HAVE A GIRLFRIEND?


Baekho laughed as he turned to Minhyun, pointing to your phone. 'Looks like your charm is working better than ever.'

'If you tell Minki oppa or Aron oppa that I work here, I'm dead.' You said, tugging onto Baekho's arm. You were trying your best to not pay attention to Minhyun, but it was getting increasingly hard. 

'He wasn't the one who told me. Jonghyun told me.' Minhyun answered, noticing how affected you were by his presence, even though you were trying hard to not let it show. 

'I don't remember them having such a wild reaction when I first came though.'

'Maybe it's because you're mine.' The words just slipped out of your mouth without thinking, and at the sudden silence, your cheeks immediately blushed, to which got a chuckle from Baekho.

'Did I just hear what I heard?' Baekho was grinning from ear to ear as his arm wrapped around your waist, pulling you closer to him. 'Aigoo what am I supposed to do with you.'

'Oppa we're not the only ones here-' And as if on cue, your phone started to buzz again.

     Woah woah that PDA.

     Be thankful the manager didn't see you.

     Can you calm down a bit with the affection.

     At least go somewhere else.


'See!' You pouted as you showed the new notifications to Baekho, to which only got more chuckles from him.

A cough from Minhyun got the both of your attention back to him. And you tried not to think too much about how unamused he looked. 

'Wait, you were looking for me right? Why else would you come here?' Baekho finally asked, realising how awkward it would have been for you, and Minhyun, seeing that Minhyun was third-wheeling. 

'Jonghyun was gaming when I went.'

'So you're staying here?'

'I already ordered a drink.'

'You can ask for takeaway.' You added, to which got a nod from Baekho.

'Yeah, sounds great. Hyunie message them to change his order to takeaway. Otherwise he's going to stay here for who knows how long.'

'Why are you chasing me away.' Minhyun quickly added, slightly taken aback at how the both of you were chasing him away quite obviously. 

'We were supposed to have a date before you appeared?'

'But why the differential treatment.'

'What do you mean? Hello? You don't just invade a couple's date and expect to be welcomed.'

And fortunately for you, a call came from Jonghyun at just the right time, asking Minhyun to be back, while you were left with Baekho to enjoy the rest of the date. 


 



Fiddling with the bracelet once again, your thoughts were running off to the two males as you waited for lecture to start.

I need to tell Dongho oppa soon. He needs to know. I can't just keep it from him.

And why is Minhyun oppa back? What does he want from me? If he gives an explanation as to why he did it back then, I don't know what I would do now-

 

 


He was actually expecting it, but he did not want to accept it. Groaning, he took in a deep breathe before entering the lecture theatre, for his first lecture on Business Analytics. At least I might still have Economics with her. He sighed. Here goes.

When he received his course allocation that morning, he saw that he got to keep the Economics course he opted for. But there was something else - Business Analytics as a double major. And he was pretty sure his dad did something about it.

 

 

 

You smacked your cheeks hard, trying to wake yourself up before the professor came in. And the moment you opened your eyes, they locked with a pair of eyes that you would never have thought to see at that very moment. 

What is he doing here?

You quickly stuffed the bracelet back into your pencil case as you looked at him from the edge of your eyes. And you froze when you saw him coming in your direction. But he took the seat behind you instead.

You didn't know if it was a good thing that he didn't take the empty seat next to yours, since now you couldn't know what he was doing, and was cautious throughout the entire lecture.

You were nervous. You didn't know when he would be talking to you about it. And you didn't know what to do. You knew you had Baekho now, but the fact that you're so affected by his mere presence make you doubt your feelings as a whole. You couldn't even figure out what it was. What everything was. 

And seeing Baekho not knowing anything, you couldn't forgive yourself for bringing any harm to him. 


 

 

 



Baekho tried not to think too much about it when he saw your text saying that you went home early that day. But when he got a text from Jonghyun in the evening, he could not help but to be worried. 

     From: Jonghyun

Do you happen to know what happened to Dahyun? The door is closed again.

This is bad...

     Do you think I can go over?

But it's late. I'll update you again tomorrow. Maybe it's nothing much. It's been long anyways. 

 

Not long later, Baekho saw your name appear on the incoming Caller ID and heaved a sigh of relief, answering the call within the first ring. 

'Dongho oppa?'

'Mhmm?'

There was silence, and Baekho had to glance at his phone to check if the line was still connected.

'Dahyunie? Is there something wrong?'

'I just wanted to hear your voice.' And you immediately heard a low chuckle from the other end of the line.

'Aigoo, missing me already?' He could not help but to feel relieved, hearing that you sounded fine, just slightly more tired than usual. But it was late anyways. 'Do you want me to prepare a life-sized cardboard of myself to put in your room?'

'Where would you get that from?' He heard a soft giggle from you and smiled. 

'If there's a will, there's a way.'

'But Jonghyun oppa wouldn't be too happy about it.'

'Or would you want me to move in with you? Then we don't have to talk over the phone like this anymore.'

'Oppa will have to get Jonghyun oppa's permission for that too.'

'Does it mean that you don't mind then?'

'Why would I mind?'

'Can I take your word for it then? I'll go ask Jonghyun straight away!'

'But Jonghyun oppa is probably asleep by now.' 

'But to tell the truth, I don't have the guts to ask him. He'll probably chase me away and I'll probably not be able to see you ever again.' 

And another string of giggles were heard from you. 

'Dahyun-ah.'

'Hmm?'

'Feeling better?'

'Mhmm.'

'That's good to hear. You should sleep soon, it's late.' 

'Dongho oppa.'

'Yeah?'

'Can I talk to you tomorrow?'

'Aren't we already talking now?'

'There's something I want to tell you. Tomorrow.'

'Sure. Now go sleep. See you tomorrow princess.'

'Good night, Dongho oppa.'

 


 

[A/N] Update!

This chapter was longer than I expected hehe I hope that it was alright though! 

Comments and subscribes will be greatly appreciated too!

Thank you! 

<3