Chapter 3

Sorry, I'm Late

'Morning~' The ever smiley Baekho greeted as he sauntered into the room, his bag slung over his right shoulder while he waved to Jonghyun, earning a groan from the latter who threw a quick glance at the clock.

'Isn't it too early for you to be here?'

'I'm not here to see you so you don't have to worry.' Ignoring the salty male who was seated by the monitor, Baekho resumed his course towards your room, only to have Jonghyun stopping him.

'THAT'S EXACTLY WHY I WORRY. YAH! She's not awake yet! Don't you dare go in there-'

'Fine. Fine fine fine.' Baekho pouted as he immediately headed back into the living room, before slumping down on the couch. 'You shouldn't be gaming early in the morning.'

'Who said I was gaming?' 

Without having to say anything, Baekho pointed to the screen where the chat notifications continuously popped up at the edge of the screen despite the minimized application. To which Jonghyun quickly switched off the monitor as he turned to Baekho, his arms across his chest.

'You should have at least texted me to tell me that you were coming.'

'I texted Dahyun before coming.'

Jonghyun frowned as he watched him fiddle with his phone, not bothering to look up at Jonghyun while he attempted to nag at him. 'You know this is my house right?'

'Technically the both of you moved in at the same time.'

This guy, really know no limits after dating Dahyun. It's as if he forgot about our existence entirely to even treat us nicely. 'Before I ban you from seeing Dahyun you better shut up.'




 


Hearing the commotion outside, you did not have to think twice to know that he was here, and hurried to finish preparing your things before leaving your room, mentally preparing yourself for the drama that you were about to face. And you saw Baekho pouting as he hugged onto his bag, both males engaged in an intense glaring battle. 'Did something happen?'

The moment Baekho saw you, his eyes lit up as he quickly sprang onto his feet, hugging onto your arm tightly as he hid behind you.

'Your cousin was bullying me.' Once those words left his mouth, Jonghyun could do nothing but to stare in awe at the accusation.

'What did you do to Dongho oppa?'

And to think that you actually believed the younger one. Jonghyun had more faith in you, seeing how the both of you have blood ties. 'Hello? Me? What can I do to him? Just look at him? And then look at me? I should be the one getting bullied!'

The moment your eyes landed back on Baekho, his eyes widened as his lower lip jutted out even more, his face merely inches away from yours as he rested his chin on your shoulder. 'Jonghyun scolded me early in the morning and threatened to kick me out.'

'I DID NOT.'

'He did!'



 



After the baseless accusations that morning, you still did not know the reason behind the angsty atmosphere on the way to university as you walked between Baekho and Jonghyun. Being the childish person he was, Baekho was throwing glares at Jonghyun now and then over your shoulder, to which Jonghyun casually ignored. Along with the occasional 'Jonghyun bullied me' and 'I don't like Jonghyun' whines that he was making to you.

However, not knowing the context, you didn't know how to respond to Baekho's antics, figuring that both of them might be at fault to some extent. But you decided to remain neutral on the issue, or lack thereof, as your livelihood dependent on Jonghyun and you couldn't risk going against the hierarchy.

After what seemed like an eternity, and with you sensing that Jonghyun might explode at Baekho's repeated babbling soon, you've finally reached your destination. 'I'll see you later.' You smiled as you gave Baekho a slight hug before waving them goodbye, silently hoping that it was not a bad idea to leave the two males alone.

'You didn't even thank me for knowing Dahyun and yet you're rebelling?' Jonghyun immediately started once you were out of earshot.

'That's not called 'rebelling', it's called diverting her attention from whatever she's worrying about.' Baekho sighed, finally stopping the glares that he has been doing. 

'Have you found out what she's worried about?'

'Working on it.'

'You could have used the time whining to actually figure it out.'

'Says you who kept quiet the entire time!'



 

 

 

You were mildly horrified when you found out the other day that you had all your courses and modules with Minhyun, miraculously. And for every single session, he would not fail to choose a seat where he would have a good look of you, while you could not see what he was doing from behind you at all. 

If only I knew what he was thinking... But you also knew that it would only be possible if you gave him a chance to speak. Which you haven't been doing. 

It was easy to tell that you were avoiding him. Whenever Minhyun saw you, you would immediately turn away, or when he came over to hang out with the boys, you would be at the furthest end of the room. However, that simply made him more certain that you have yet to get over him, otherwise you wouldn't be so greatly affected by his presence.

But seeing how his heart flutters by the sight of you before him as he watched your slightest movements, he knew for one that his feelings for you have never faltered despite the years away. 

 

 

 

'Mf-!' You barely managed to set your foot outside the lecture hall before you found yourself pulled into someone's firm chest, missing the stampede by an inch. While your books tumbled onto the ground.

Shocked beyond words, you could only stay still as his grip around you did not loosen while the others manuevered around the both of you by the exit of the hall. 

'Hmm. Scandalous.' Hearing Aron's voice, you quickly snapped back into reality, pushing Minhyun away and instantly missing the comfort his arms provided. 

'She nearly got ran over.' Minhyun mumbled, retracting his hands as he spotted a slight tinge of pink staining your cheeks. 

Baekho quickly bent down to pick up your things, and your eyes widened in alert when you saw a particular bracelet in his hands. When did it get there? Did I leave it between my books? 'Yeah I saw. Dahyun, you okay?' With his free hand, Baekho smoothed your fringe out of your face as he eyed you carefully, checking if you got injured anywhere, to which you quickly nodded your head. 

'People should really stop running down the corridor, it's dangerous.' Minki added as he sighed, before nudging all of you towards the direction of the canteen. 

'You should look where you're going too.' You pouted when you heard a naggy Baekho next to you. 

'I was just checking if I had all my books with me...' 



 

 

For the rest of the day, your thoughts could not help but to wander back to that brief second when Minhyun caught you in his arms. And that same thought was poking annoyingly at Baekho's mind against his will.

You barely managed to get your senses back together, until you were left alone with Baekho at a cafe where you wouldn't get interrupted by prodding co-workers. And when it was finally time for you to make things known to him. 

Baekho noticed how you avoided his eyes as you looked down at your lap, your hands fumbling nervously with the hem of your shirt, and his hands reached out to hold onto yours. 'It's okay if you don't want to tell me, as long as you're feeling better-'

'But I have to tell you.'

The slight squeeze on your hands prompted you to continue. 'I- Oppa, Jonghyun oppa told you that there was a guy who left me, when we first knew each other, didn't he?'

Baekho didn't know what he was expecting before you started talking, but he was kind of surprised at the topic that you brought up. 'Yeah? He's the reason why it was so hard to get you to open up to me.' He chuckled lightheartedly, hoping to brighten the mood. 

It'll be faster if I don't beat around the bush right? You took in a deep breathe, and added quietly, 'That guy who left, is Minhyun oppa.'

And Baekho instantly went silent as he tried to take in the new information. Her first love and ex-boyfriend that she couldn't get over was Minhyun? Hwang Minhyun? Our Minhyun?

'I'm sorry oppa, I can't keep it from you. I thought you needed to know...' 

So was that why she seemed so out of it when she first saw Minhyun? Distraught, even? 'You don't have to apologize, thanks for telling me. It must have been hard for you to talk about it hmm?' You finally looked up at him when Baekho gave you a slight smile as he patted your head gently. 

'Oppa are you angry?' 

'Angry? Just a little jealous that he stole your heart before I did. 
I should get him to teach me a thing or two.'

You pursed your lips, what has Baekho done to deserve this? 

'It's okay, don't give me that look. Take your time, I'll wait. I don't mind waiting.'

'I- I'll settle everything soon- It's just- I'm so sorry oppa...' 

'It's really okay. I guess I've actually thought about it before, if that guy suddenly appears one day and tries to steal you from me. Well, I was planning to give him a good talk, but now that he is Minhyunie,' Baekho laughed it off again, but you could tell that it was half forced. 'You aren't giving him a chance to explain, are you?'

And Baekho knew you too well. 

'I'm okay with it, just go ahead. Listen him out, then decide.'

 



For the rest of the day, you didn't hear a single word from Baekho, or even a text message. All he did was sent you back home, and Jonghyun was slightly surprised at how the latter did not even hang around at your house. 

Only until the very next day did you get a call from him. 

'Dahyunie, are you free now?'

'Mmhmm?'

'Do you want to grab some ice cream? I'm at the parlour near the park.' 

'Okay, I'll be there in 10 minutes!' And with that, he hung up.

You weren't dumb. You could tell that Baekho looked and sounded disheartened ever since he found out, despite how hard he tried to cover it up. And you only had yourself to blame. 

Quickly choosing a cute and casual dress that Baekho has bought for you, hoping to cheer him up the slightest, you headed out of the house. 

But the moment you reached the ice cream parlour, the only person there who you recognized was Hwang Minhyun. 

Minhyun was startled when he looked up from his phone to see you standing before him. And just then, his phone vibrated with a new message. 

     From: Dongho

     Explain to her. About your disappearance. 

He knows? 'Did you see Dongho oppa?' You asked, after looking around and not seeing him nearby.

'Dongho wouldn't be coming.'

'What do you mean-'

'He called the both of us here.'

Dongho oppa did what? Why would he- Huh? Your mind froze as you tried to figure out what Baekho was thinking, and felt Minhyun pulling you into the shop, before settling you down in a seat.

'Don't run away.' And with that, Minhyun went to get your ice cream, leaving you to ponder over Baekho's actions the entire time.
 

 

'You told Dongho?'

'Yesterday.'

'That we dated before?'

'He knew that there was someone who left me when we first met. I told him that that someone was you.' You mumbled, not willing to look at him, knowing that you would definitely give in to him if you looked at him face to face. 

'My dad, is the CEO of Hwang Electronics.' And you immediately snapped your head up at him.

'But I thought- You said your family couldn't even afford extra curriculum lessons-'

'I lied.' Minhyun swallowed before continueing, seeing how your eyes widened in shock as you were finally looking staring at him. 'He had me learning the ropes of the company from then and I didn't have time for those lessons. And I was afraid that you would avoid me if you knew my family background.'

And he kept that from everyone back in school? 

'He wanted me to follow him abroad for work, and I didn't know how to break it to you. I just thought it would have been better to keep it from you-'

'And to leave without a trace? All I got was a text saying 'I'm sorry.', I didn't even know where you went. Did you even know how worried I was?' You asked, your ice cream long abandoned as it melted into a pink puddle in the bowl that you gripped tightly between your hands. 

'I couldn't bear to break things to you- I didn't know if I could ask you to wait for me, after lying about my background.' 

'You could have said something- Anything.' 

'Dahyun-ah...' Minhyun could hear your voice trembling slightly as your eyes darted downwards again, not knowing how to justify his actions. He knew it was dumb of him back then, but he was too young to know what was best. And now he regretted it deeply. 

'Umma passed away a few months after you left. She kept asking where's Minhyunie.' 

Minhyun froze at what you said, he knew that your mother was diagnosed with cancer at a young age, and he himself had spent a lot of time together with you at your place taking care of her. To the extent that your mother took a liking to him. 'I-I'm so sorry. I- I'm really sorry Dahyun-ah.' 

Seeing your tears roll down your cheeks, Minhyun took the seat next to you and pulled you towards his chest, his hands patting the back of your head gently. 

'Jonghyun oppa's father is umma's brother. They decided to let me live with Jonghyun so that there's someone to look after me.'

'I'm really sorry, I, I didn't mean to leave you alone like that.'

Feeling his arms tightened around you, you suddenly realised that you were getting too comfortable in his embrace and quickly struggled out of his grip, the second time in two days. 

'Dahyun?'

'Oppa I can't- I-' Baekho's voice immediately echoed in your head and you could remember how his eyes drooped slightly, 'I'll wait, I don't mind waiting.'

'I know, it's about Dongho isn't it?'


 

 




'Why are you so gloomy? Can't whine to Dahyun and accuse me now that she's not at home?' Jonghyun finally started, after noticing how Baekho has been laying on the couch for the past hour or so, without uttering a single word. 

'Did you know that Minhyun dated Dahyun before?'

What? 'Are you saying that the jerk who disappeared was Minhyun?'

'Apparently.'

This is bad.

However, Baekho did not realise the drop in Jonghyun's mood as the latter immediately lost interest in his game that he was playing just seconds ago.

'Is she with him now then?'

'Yeah, they're probably at the ice cream parlour downstairs or at the park I guess.'

'Shouldn't you be calling her now?'

'For?'

'I don't know, your girlfriend is with her ex-boyfriend slash first love now, and that first love just happens to be Hwang Minhyun- I wonder how well that would turn out.'

Baekho sighed, wondering what made him set the both of you together. 'I made them talk to each other.'

'Genius.' 




 


Later that day, it was one of the rare days where you were alone with Jonghyun at home without any interruption by the other overly hyperactive guys. And to add on, Jonghyun has decided to cook up something, freeing yourself of your usual duties that particular day. Hence, you were sitting by his trusty computer in the living room, hoping to occupy yourself for the next couple of minutes while waiting for dinner. 

'Hwang Electronics in talks of merger with Jung Financial Group. If this succeeds, the two biggest companies in Korea will definitely have an edge over everyone else...'

'Oppa, I didn't know you were interested in this kind of issues.' You asked Jonghyun when an article popped up immediately when you opened the browser. 'Isn't this Minhyun oppa's company?'

Hearing you, Jonghyun immediately dropped the knife onto the chopping board before appearing right next to you. You watched while he quickly closed the browser as he repeatedly spammed the x button, missing it in the first few tries.

And when he noticed your weird stare at him, he attempted a nonchalant shrug, before resuming his preparation in the kitchen. 'It's nothing.'

 


 

[A/N] Yay update again! I hope that this chapter wasn't disappointing, and that it was okay! 

Thank you for the many subscribers and comments as usual, do keep them coming in! 

P.S. The poll in chapter 1 is still ongoing! (I am lowkey amused by how the gap is always one vote hahaha omg)

P.P.S Yall have to listen to Hello 2017Vers if you have not!!!

Thank you~

<3