Chapter 4

Sorry, I'm Late

The vibration from your phone distracted you from your books, and the new message happened to excuse you from the topic that you were currently struggling to focus on.

     From: Jonghyun Oppa

     Are you still in school?

Yeap! I'm studying in the library.

     With?

Minhyun oppa!

The moment you saw the '1' symbol disappear, Jonghyun's face appeared on your phone screen, signalling an incoming call. Quickly pushing out your chair while trying to keep as quiet as possible, you showed the Caller ID to Minhyun before rushing out of the library to answer the call.

'I need help with something.' Was the first thing he said once you held the phone to your ear.

'Hmm?'

'Can you come home now?'

'Did oppa lose something? I can just tell you where is it if I saw it-'

'It's not that, I need you back home, now.'

'O-Okay oppa. I'll leave now.'

You eyed your phone screen weirdly once he hung up on you, only to be met with the conversation you shared before his call came in. What is it that I can help him with? I thought I'm always the one needing help. Did something bad happen? Did he find the stash of albums that I bought without him knowing? Did he- 

The more you thought about it, the more panicky you were getting and you quickly hurried back into the library. 

'Oppa, I'll have to go first. Jonghyun oppa needs me for something.' You whispered to Minhyun as you started to keep your books.

'Is he okay?'

'I guess so, I'm not sure.'

'I'm sorry, I can't bring you back though, I have to finish this by today-' Minhyun frowned as he pointed to the stack of books by his side.

'It's okay oppa. I'll see you tomorrow.' You smiled as you gave him a slight wave, before quickly heading back home. 

 

 

 




Jonghyun craned his neck slightly once he saw you entering the house, thankful that Minhyun didn't follow you back, and quickly resumed his gaming as if everything was perfectly fine. 

Not even taking the time to place your bag down, you hurried over to where he sat by the computer table. 'Oppa needed help with?'

'Couldn't get the computer to start. Dongho helped me with it already.'

You blinked as you looked at Jonghyun who continued his gaming, not even removing his eyes from the monitor to glance at you for the slightest second. 'That's it?'

'Yeap.'

You stared at your cousin in awe. It was already the second time that week - you being summoned back home only to find that his supposed problem was solved. Though you didn't realise that it only happened when you were with a certain somebody.

'Oh and Dongho prepared dinner before he left so you don't have to cook anymore.'

'Where's Dongho oppa?'

'He went home.'

'He came over after school?'

'Why am I updating you on Dongho's whereabouts when it used to be the other way round?'

You bit onto your lower lip when he asked that question. You were hoping that nobody would point that out, especially not him.

'We were supposed to study together but he said that he couldn't make it so it was just me and Minhyun oppa...'

'Did the both of you break up?' And then Jonghyun just had to be the one who ask that same question, without a single change in expression on his face.

'No we didn't!'

'Who do you like, Dongho or Minhyun?'

'You see me hanging out with Aron and Minki oppa too, WHY NOT SAY THAT I LIKE THEM TOO.'

Pouting, you stomped back into your room, not sure if he meant to push your buttons on purpose. He isn't helping when he already knows that I'm in trouble.



 


 



'Is your bodyguard doing a check on Dahyun too?' Jonghyun felt as though a rock was lifted off his shoulders once he asked that question.

At the start, Jonghyun didn't think that he would have to worry about this. But seeing that you were getting much closer to Minhyun recently, it meant that those people Minhyun's father sent would be back at work again.

'I guess so. Just the usual stuff, family background, grades. You know how dad is...' Minhyun sighed. The boys were one of the only few people who understood how strict his father was, meanwhile everyone would just cut off contact when they notice a black suited male following them around. Even if they manage to stick around long enough, they wouldn't stay past the digging up of information on them.

'If they ask, can't you just tell them that she's my younger sister?'

'Dahyun?'

'It's easier that way. I wouldn't feel too good with them digging too much into her family background.'

'I'll try. It might backfire if they find out that you're not siblings though.'

'Or you can just tell them that she'll be around often because she's my sister, and not because you're close to her or anything. So they shouldn't be looking for information on her.'

'Okay, sure. But you know they work under dad's orders. I don't remember when's the last time they listened to me.'



 





'Yah Kim Dahyun!' You flinched when you recognized that voice, your grip on the black plastic immediately tightening as you turned around to see Jonghyun jogging towards you.

'Oh! Hi Minhyun's bodyguard!' Before you could answer him, he addressed the male in black standing approximately two metres behind you.

'Hello Kim Jonghyun-ssi.'

'What are you doing here?' They know each other? You continuously looked between the both of them, confused with how Jonghyun- Oh right, he said Minhyun's bodyguard- But why would oppa need a bodyguard? And shouldn't a bodyguard be around that person he's suppose to guard?

'Just checking if-' The said bodyguard remained kept a poker face as he locked eyes with Jonghyun.

'The neighbourhood is doing fine?' Jonghyun continued for him, slowly holding your wrist in his as he tugged you behind him.

'Yes.'

'Okay then! Don't overwork yourself!' He smiled before turning to you, and making sure that the bodyguard could hear him. 'Kim Dahyun, dad's visiting so we have to be home early.'

'I did-'

'LEGGO~' You found yourself getting pulled towards the house. Not sparing the bodyguard another look.




 

 


'I didn't hear that samchon is coming though?' You asked as you looked at Jonghyun weirdly and glanced at your watch. 'Is he here already?'

'He isn't coming today.'

'Hmm? But oppa just said-'

'I said 'We don't know when dad's visiting so we have to be home early.''

'But-'

'Anyways dad will always give a heads up before coming to check on us.'

'That's true...' You pursed your lips as you tilted your head slightly while you followed in Jonghyun's footsteps. I was certain that he said that 'dad's visiting'?



 

 



'Dahyun?' Baekho called you for the umpteenth time before you finally responded to him, when he waved his hand before you. You have been staring at Jonghyun, who was occupied with his laptop at the usual location, for the past 20 minutes without moving a single inch on the couch. It wasn't as if you were sleeping with your eyes open either and Baekho was starting to get worried.

'Yeah?'

'You okay?'

'Jonghyun oppa is acting really weird recently.'

'In what sense?'

'He called me Kim Dahyun. He never calls me that. You know how he always call me Dahyun right?' Baekho nodded as he listened attentively to you. 'And he keeps going back on his words. But it's not as if he has dementia or something either.'

'Maybe you're overthinking? I don't see anything wrong with him.'

'Did oppa come over on Tuesday?'

'No, it's the day that I told you that I couldn't join you and Minhyunie at the library right?'

'Uhuh. Jonghyun oppa called me back urgently, and then said that you helped him already.'

You could tell that you were not the only one finding his actions strange, now that Baekho was also eyeing Jonghyun weirdly. 'But Jonghyun didn't call me that day at all?'

'See! That's why I'm saying that he's really weird! And then he said that his father is visiting but right afterwards, he says that I was hearing things!'

'You want me to talk to him about it?'

'Do you think he'll tell you though?'

'I can try if I can get anything out of him. Don't worry too much about it in the meantime okay?' Baekho grinned as he patted your head gently. 'Now stop worrying me by stoning here. Do you want to catch a movie together, the both of us?'



 






'Dad, do you think they know?'

'They shouldn't know that she exists, her mother said not to tell anyone.'

'They can't find her that easily right?'

'Tell them you're her brother. It'll make it easier. They shouldn't question it either, at least not that soon.'

'That's what I did. Will it be enough? What if they check her documents. And wouldn't it be worse if they find out we lied?'

'We'll figure it out then.'

 

 


 

 

[A/N] Update! This is a short chapter but I hope it wasn't too rushed! 

As usual, thank you for the subscribes and comments~ 

Thank you! 

<3