Chapter 16

H&H

Minghao couldn't believe his day.

 

He didn't think it could be this stressful in just a hours after waking up. It all started when he went to work, only realizing once he got there that he had to be there two hours earlier than he thought. His shifts got messed up and now he had to pay for the scoldings. Then, all the supposed rude customers in the world decided that today was the perfect time to hop in and complain about how “the food wasn't good enough for their expensive taste”. It was a cafe, for goodness sake. On top of all that, he suddenly had to take the double shift, only because one of the employees had to go on short notice.

 

He just wanted to go home and sleep for a year.

 

He sighed, wiping the tables of a now empty cafe. He was at least glad that he didn't need to deal with more people.

 

An American retro styled cafe with red stools and neon lighting. It's was sort of aesthetic, in a sense.

 

“Customer service, am I right?” A voice spoke out, making the other turn around to see a male behind the counter.

 

“Ugh, I can't complain.” He responded, as the other gestured for him to sit down. He does as instructed, sitting on a red in front of counter so he could still socialize with the male. “Why did Seungkwan have to get sick so quickly, Hansol?”

 

Hansol chuckled, checking the money in the tin. “Well, I'll be sure to tell him not to when I get home.” He joked before flashing a look of concern to the other. “You alright, dude? You look like .”

 

“Ah , I thought I looked alright.” He remarked sarcastically, shaking his head. “It’s just not my day, to be honest.”

 

The male hummed in consideration, pointing to the back room after a few minutes of silence. “You should take a break in the back, no one will mind.”

 

He raised an eyebrow. “You sure? Don't I need to ‘tend to customers’ or what not?”

 

“Bro, what customers?” He questioned, slightly amused. True, he could almost see the cartoon dust wheel passing by.

 

He stood up from his seat, thanking Hansol before going behind the counter and opening the door to the back room.

 

It was small, just small enough to fit at least two people. On the side were shelves with spices jammed into various sized jars. It smelled strongly of different combination of spices, so usually people wouldn't like to be there for long.

 

But Minghao liked it. In all honesty, the spices reminded him of his mother and her cooking. It was relaxing in a weird sort of way.

 

He leaned his back against the vacant wall, sliding down until his hit the ground. His head fell backwards, resting against the wall behind him as he stared at the ceiling.

 

He sat there for a good minute, thinking about his goals and what he wanted to do in life. Soon, he started thinking about his love life.

 

“Now that I think about It, Hoon said he was dating someone right?” He thought out loud, tilting his head to the side. ‘They’re living together too..’

 

Minghao suddenly felt embarrassed. He had the longest, worst crush on his roommate.He had been living with Wonwoo for about few years, but he really started crushing on him a few months after they met.

 

Middle school, grade seven, Minghao saw the new student in the class just above his, sitting alone. No one decided to talk with him because he wasn't Chinese. He just had to take action right then and there.

 

“Hey! I'm trying to learn Korean, can you teach me?” Was the first things he said to him.

 

If he had to be honest, if he hadn't spoken to Wonwoo then he really wouldn't be so whipped. But of course, he can't go back in time to change that.

 

Confessing to him was never an option. He was far too shy about his feelings and thought that as long as he could be his friend then that'd be fine.

 

He sighed, confessing now is an even bigger risk. Wonwoo knew he was bi, but he didn't know how he’d react to him liking him. Rejection meant the possibility of getting kicked out or being completely cut off or even both. The outcomes scared him in a sense.

 

He groaned, rubbing his temples with his hands. He entered this room to relax, not to further complicate his mind.

 

Maybe he needed to let off some steam, rant to someone about his day. But who?

 

Wonwoo was not an option. If he accidently let what he was just thinking about slip, it would be all over for him.

 

Mingyu was also a no go. He was on his plane back to Korea, thus won't be available to talk on his phone.

 

He could speak with his coworkers, since they could relate to what he's going through, but with the exception to Hansol, he hadn't established a connect with anyone.

 

That only left Hoon.

 

Hao: Hey can i rant

 

He didn't have much faith that the male would be online but in a few minutes, he heard a hopefully ding come from his phone.

 

Hoon: sure what's up man

 

Hao: I'm not having the greatest day dhdhgk

 

Hoon: mood

 

Hoon: you wanted to rant?

 

Hao: ugh

 

Hao: can I just

 

Hao: call you??? It's too much to type

 

He could see that Hoon read the message, however it took a bit for him to respond. Sudden flush of anxiety washed over him, already typing a message if he accidently made the other uncomfortable. Before he could send anything however, he responded.

 

Hoon: uhh

 

Hoon: Yeah hold on

 

Hoon: I'll call you

 

Hao: oh okay

 

Minghao held his breath in anticipation. What was he gonna sound like, he wondered? He imagined something a little high pitched, not glass breaking, but high. His ringtone blasted from his phone, he quickly clicked answer and held it to his ear, hearing nothing from the other end.

 

“Hello?” He called out in Korean, waiting quietly for an answer.

 

“Hello? Is this Hao?” Another voice repeated, Minghao blinking in surprise. Deeper, than he expected

 

“Yeah, is this Hoon?” He replied.

 

“Yeah, it is.”

 

“Oh.’

 

“Yeah. You wanted to rant?”

 

“Right! Yeah just let me get comfortable.” Minghao chuckled awkwardly, shifting in his already cramped space.

 

Jihoon laughed softly. “Where are you anyways?”

 

“Work. Back room.” He glanced around as he mentioned it.

 

“The back room? Are you on break?” He questioned.

 

“Yeah, my co worker could tell I was stressed.”

 

“I see.” A second of silence followed them before Minghao began open up about his day. He complained for so long, he wondered if the other had hung up. But even if he did, the male would have still been talking.

 

“Honestly, all I want to do is see my dog and my roommate and crash on couch.” He finished, sighing softly.

 

“Speaking of,” Jihoon started abruptly, clearing his throat and slightly surprising the other. “Why didn’t you call your roommate? I mean, not that I’m not happy you called me but I’m not the greatest at giving advice.”

 

He scratched the back of his neck nervously, pursing his lips together. “Actually, I kind of want to talk to you about that.”

 

“Alrighty, go for it.”

 

“I..” He took a breath, thinking about what to say. “Have you ever had a crush on someone and had no idea how or if you should tell them because you’re afraid on rejection but at the same time you’re scared of regret so--”

 

“Hao, calm down.” The other interrupted, the male closing his mouth instantly. “So. You like your roommate, but you’re scared.”

 

Minghao nodded, before realising that he couldn’t see the nod anyways. “Yeah.”

 

Jihoon sighed. “Hao, it might be hard but I think you should tell them.”

 

“Wha- Didn’t you hear what I--”

 

“Tell me about your roommate, what he’s like.”

 

Minghao blinked owlishly, thinking for a minute. “Well,” He began. “He’s smart and mature and if you didn’t know him, you would think he was kinda scary. But, in reality, he’s really cute. He’s always looking out for others and is an actual goofball. When he laughs, his nose crinkles and he always wears these sweaters that are way too big on him and--” He stopped, blushing as he realized he was rambling. “Sorry.” He said sheepishly.

 

“It’s fine. It sounds like you really like him.” He responded, making the other smiling fondly. “You said he’s mature?”

 

“Yeah! Forgiving too, he has a really kind heart.”

 

“Then what’s the problem?” He asked, Minghao widening his eyes.

 

“W-What do you mean?” He stammered out.

 

“What’s the problem with confessing?” He said bluntly. “If he’s as mature and forgiving as you think he is then you should be fine. He wouldn’t just start hating you now. How long have you guys known each other?”

 

Minghao began counting with his fingers. “Uh, since grade seven.”

 

“Grade seven!” Jihoon exclaimed, repeating after him to prove his point.

 

The other laughed, shaking his head. He was right, there wasn’t much to lose. However it’s easier said than done. “Thanks Hoon. You know, you give better advice than you say you do.”

 

“Oh yeah?” He chuckled, before shouting away from the phone. ‘Is there someone else in the room with him?’ Minghao thought.

 

“Hey babe!” He called out. “Someone just said I give good advice!”

 

‘Oh, he’s talking to his boyfriend.’ Minghao concluded.

 

“What? Impossible.” A much lower voice replied as the other giggled.

 

“Anyways, I’ll see you later Hao. Are you feeling better?” He spoke.

 

“Yeah, break is almost over anyways. Thanks for letting me call.” He smiled, standing up to open the door of the backroom.

 

“Mhm, I’ll be here, anytime.”

 

“Thanks.”

[ I'm so awful at updating fics y'all, idk if any of y'all aree still reading this buT WHATEVER FJJSH ]