Forsaken (ChangRick)

Drabbles for Days

*Lil content warning. It gets a bit steamy*

 

The room was coloured in silvery blue and black. Moonlight poured through the windows, the curtains left hanging open. The light snuck across the floor, slipping across discarded clothes, shoes, a forgotten book and pen. It climbed the side of the bed, catching on the body that was spreadeagled there. It lit his muscled legs, taut abdominals and defined chest, bringing all of his toned body into stark relief. As the moonlight found his face, a small crinkle appeared in his proud brow. His skin was bleached to bone white under the moon. His hair darker black with the contrast.

Beneath the blanket of sleep, Jonghyun almost felt the moonlight change his dream. He was aware he was dreaming now. His motion slowing until he was left standing on nothing. Nothing around him, above him or below. He seemed to be floating. Or waiting. He couldn’t find what he was waiting for. When he asked himself, there was no reply. Only endless nothingness and the weightlessness. 

It was peaceful really. The serenity of floating. If only he could rid himself of the sense of expectation, it would be a wonderful dream. It would be perfect. 

He gasped for air. Eyes snapping open and mattress quivering from his wrenching movement. He was sitting up in bed, bright moonlight beaming into the bedroom. He panted, trying to calm his breathing.

Goosebumps were rippled across the back of his neck and down the left side of his torso. An icy chill ran over his skin. It seemed to start from his neck and shoot through to his collarbone. Jonghyun pawed at his skin. It wasn’t cold beneath his fingers, but the feeling of ice in his veins lingered a moment longer. 

He rubbed a hand over his eyes and gave a sigh. With slow movements he stood and pulled the curtains closed. A sliver of light was left at the foot of the bed but the rest of the room was black. He climbed back onto the mattress, eyes sweeping the room. With a final sigh, he settled back into the pillow and closed his eyes. 

Sleep was nipping on the edge of his mind. With a last shift of his head it enveloped him completely.

 

 

“You look tired Jonghyun,” Chanhee was standing in front of his desk, eyes concerned. 

“Weird dreams.” Jonghyun waved him down. “And I forgot to close my curtains. Did you see how bright the moon was last night?”

Chanhee’s lips quirked, an expression of guilty ignorance. “I have blackout curtains. I don’t even see how bright the sunlight is.” 

“Half your luck,” Jonghyun smiled and turned back to his computer. 

He was tired today. When he woke in the morning, sunlight just making it through the curtains, he had felt heavy and slow. It had taken effort to pull himself from the mattress and shamble to the shower. Even as he stood beneath the hot water he couldn’t seem to warm up. 

The face that stared back at him from the mirror was undoubtedly tired too; heavy darkness lingered beneath his eyes. Jonghyun had sighed, taking down some herbal pills from the cabinet and swallowing them. He didn’t want to get sick again. Over the last few months he had been getting progressively worse colds. If the weight to his limbs and the fuzz in his mind was anything to go by, he was on the verge of coming down with another one. 

Despite that, he made it through his workday and trudged home again. He stepped down from the bus as the sun dipped below the horizon. By the time he had made the short walk home, it was dark again, the streetlights flickering on. He wasn’t sure if the herbs were finally kicking in, or if he just felt better to be home, but the fatigue lifted from his body a little as he pushed through the front door. 

“Just me!” He called through the run-down flat. 

“Yo!” Niel called in reply.

Jonghyun tossed his keys onto the table and dropped his wallet beside them. The house was old and falling apart. The carpet was dappled but Jonghyun wasn’t convinced it was designed to be that way. The panelling of the wall opposite the table was falling, drooping limply into the lounge room from above. Their furniture was newish, Ikea and cheap had been the main through-line of their decor choices. 

He moved along the hall, pausing to wave at Niel as he passed his open bedroom door. 

“Hey,” Niel called, laying his phone down on the bed. “You look like you’re getting sick again.”

“Yeah.” Jonghyun rubbed at his eyes. “I don’t feel awesome. Better now I’m at home though.”

Niel gave him a sympathetic look, head tilting to one side. 

“Well, TGI Friday, I suppose.” Niel picked his phone back up and turned away again. “Don’t push yourself too much over the weekend.”

“Would I do that?” Jonghyun mumbled and turned to continue down the hall. Niel’s soft laughter followed him. 

His room was as run down as the rest of the house. The walls painted a slightly off green and each sheet of plaster was held in by a thick wooden plank. His windows were so old they pushed out from the inside, there were no screens or bars, but a sizable drop down the hill on his side of the apartment kept his mind at ease. No headboard above his simple mattress, an old free standing wardrobe in a recess near the door.

Jonghyun collapsed onto his bed, face burying into his pillows as he sighed. His arms were aching with fatigue. His whole body felt heavy. Any moment he was convinced he would sink right through the mattress as thump into the floor. 

Before he knew it, he was dreaming again. The same familiar floating sensation in the darkness. 

This dream wasn’t peaceful though. The expectation was stronger than ever. This time tinged with fear. He knew something was coming. He didn’t know what it would be. And he did not want to find out. 

His fingers twitched. His heart racing. A face swam into view from the mist of his dream. It was still blurred at the edges, darkness slipping across them as though they were standing in thick smog. Jonghyun heard his throat groan a little in agony. 

There was a stinging pain lancing through him now. His neck was burning and freezing. 

Jonghyun’s breath caught. 

The face in his dream crystallised. White blond hair, deep liquid eyes beneath heavy brows. A pointed chin that was tilting up slightly in arrogant amusement. The lips were a startling crimson and smiling at him. 

“Who are you?” Jonghyun mumbled, his voice slurring and mumbling through his lips. 

There was no reply. Only a bloody smile. 

The face began to fade once more. 

Forsaken.

The word was spoken into his ear, a chill breath passing over as it woke him. 

Jonghyun struggled upright, eyes frantically searching around the deserted room. His neck was aching. His skin was prickled with cold. 

The curtains hung open. Silver moonlight lit the space, almost as bright as daylight. 

Jonghyun blinked, heart still hammering in his chest. He had closed those curtains. Surely, he had closed them? 

Absently, he passed a hand across his aching neck. It was cold and sore. He must have slept at a strange angle. After all, he had fallen asleep in his work clothes. With a timid shrug, he stood and tugged the curtains closed. The deep darkness didn’t make him feel any better.

 

 

His head was heavier than ever when he woke. Daylight was peeking through the curtains. Jonghyun groaned, turning over and burying his face back into the bed. His neck was sore. He felt beaten all over and stuffed with cotton wool. 

Beneath the discomfort, a chill ran through him. He remembered his dream vividly. The bloody lips, the beautiful face. What was happening to him? Was this some sort of fever?

With slow movements he dragged himself from the bed and shuffled down the hall.

Niel was sitting on the lounge playing video games, occasionally swearing softly. He glanced over as Jonghyun fell down beside him. 

“I thought you were going for the world record,” Niel refocused on his game.

“Hm?” Jonghyun’s brows creased with confusion. He had a throbbing headache now, the pain from his neck arching all the way over his head. 

“You slept for ages.” Niel paused his game and looked at Jonghyun properly. His own brows coming together the longer he looked. “You look awful. Are you sick again?”

“I think I have a fever,” Jonghyun replied. 

Niel pressed the inside of his wrist to Jonghyun’s forehead. He blinked slightly and lowered his arms once more. 

“You’re cold.” Niel’s lips pressed together and then twisted. “Go and have a hot shower. I’ll drive you to the doctor if you still feel horrible after.”

Jonghyun nodded. His head lolled back against the couch. He felt he could just fall straight to sleep once more. His eyes shuttered closed. The blond-haired beauty appeared in his mind. He could see more of their body now. A white sweater clung across their chest and black slacks. In Jonhyun’s mind, they were tossing a heavy, white jacket over themselves. He was looking over his shoulder at Jonghyun. He was smiling, laughing a little. 

Forsaken.

Jonghyun lurched back into consciousness. Niel was staring at him, eyebrows high and eyes wide. 

He was still in the lounge room, on the couch. His headache was easing now, but he could suddenly feel the chill over his skin.

“You just passed the out, in like two seconds,” Niel said, eyes still wide. “Should I just take you to the doctor now?”

“No.” Jonghyun heaved himself to his feet again, teeth clenching. “No. I’m fine. I’m gonna shower and go back to bed.”

“OK,” Niel’s eyes stayed on him, concerned. “Call me if you need anything.”

Jonghyun gave him a wave in reply. 

 

 

Beneath the hot shower his cold skin prickled and itched. The headache receded to nothing but a stream of strange images and visions rose up beneath it. He would have preferred the throbbing ache to the feeling of having information crammed into his already filled mind. 

Jonghyun grasped his temples, pressing the heels of his hands into them. His eyes were clenched tight with effort. People he had never seen before whirled into his vision and away again. He could smell cigarettes, petrol and then the acrid scent of unwashed bodies. 

His mouth tasted of ash. Of sweet fruit. And something he had never tasted before. Tangy, metallic, nourishing. 

He could feel a hundred hands over his body. He choked for air as a sharp stab of pain hit his back, his flank, his leg. He stumbled in the shower, thudding against the wall. The pain was gone as quickly as it came, his legs coming back to life beneath him. 

Then the voices began. Whispers, shouts, crying and sobbing. Pleading, begging, insults and curses. Jonghyun clapped his hands to his ears, crumpling to the floor of the shower and praying it would stop. The whispers rose, filling every fibre of his being, becoming louder than whispers should have ever been. He felt tears leak from his eyes with the pressure of them. Louder, and louder and louder.

Forsaken.

They stopped. Silence deafening him. His own ragged breaths the only noise he could hear. Then the rush of the shower returned.

Jonghyun blinked, arms coming around his body as he stared around the empty bathroom. His headache was gone. He turned this way and that, feeling his neck become free and painless. 

His heart was a steady rhythm, slow and even despite the strange episode he had endured. Jonghyun blinked again. His mouth tasted odd. His skin was so sensitive he could feel each droplet strike his back, his arms, his scalp. He unwound his arms from his body, feeling his muscles flex and shift. There was no heaviness now. He was nothing but power and strength. 

A small noise of wonder eked through his throat. He flexed his fingers before his eyes, watching each digit fold and unfold more gracefully than they ever had. He stood, an elegant sweep of limbs. 

Water was streaming down his skin, each small river carving a path of sensation over him. Jonghyun turned his face into the hot water, letting it fill his mouth. It tasted of chemicals and rust. He spat it onto the floor of the shower and shut the water off. 

He swiped at the mirror, clearing the steam away and staring at himself. His dark circles were gone, his skin back to it’s perfect complexion. He turned his face this way and that, examining all of the angles. He couldn’t see any other changes except the beautiful motion of his movements. With one last look deep into his own eyes, Jonghyun turned and left the bathroom. 

Without bothering Niel, he returned to his bedroom. Sinking down on the bed and trying to remember what had happened in the shower. Nothing came to mind clearly. He was uncomfortable, it had been exceedingly strange and unpleasant. Beyond that, there was nothing to remember. 

Jonghyun moved to the window, leaning out and staring at the horizon. The sun was sinking now. He had slept almost the entire day away. A fluttering rhythm picked up in his chest as night approached. He stayed at the window, unmoving, and watched the moon rise. It was a night past full. He wasn’t sure how he knew that. The fluttering expectation picked up as the moon crested the distant mountains. 

A knock sounded at the door. Jonghyun turned and looked at it. 

“Are you OK?” Niel called through.

“Yes!” Jonghyun called back. His voice sounded strange to his ears, as though he was hearing it for the first time. “I’m feeling better. I think I’ll sleep a bit more though.”

“OK.” There was a pause. Niel was still behind the door. “Do you need some food?” He called after a moment. 

“No. Thank you.” Jonghyun smiled to himself. He hadn’t been hungry in days. He hadn’t eaten since yesterday morning. 

“OK. I’m going out. Call if you need me.” Niel’s weight shifted on the old floorboards, hesitating before turning and walking away. 

Jonghyun turned his face back to the night sky, still smiling. 

He listened to Niel get ready and snap the front door shut. The jangle of his keys as he trotted down the stairs. The rumbled of the old car as he backed out of the park and trundled away. 

Jonghyun turned, moving for the first time in hours. He strolled to his mattress and sat down. He was waiting. 

 

 

The crush of grass beneath boots was the first sign. Then the slight scratch of fingers against painted wood. The soft rustle of cloth against the wall of the house. 

Fingers closed over the window ledge. With barely more sound than Jonghyun had already caught, the figure pulled itself up and stepped into the room. He was smiling, his deep eyes bright with joy as he swept them over Jonghyun’s seated form. 

“My, my,” his voice was rich and light, “you’ve done well.”

Jonghyun smiled in reply. 

“What have you done to me?” He asked, spreading one hand gracefully. 

The man’s eyes watched it, as thought caught by it completely. His gaze snapped back to Jonghyun’s face and his smile softened.

“I have come for you.” He beckoned, movements matching Jonghyun’s. 

“That’s not an answer.” Jonghyun stood. He suddenly realised he was far taller of the two. “What’s your name? Why have I seen your face in my dreams?”

The teasing smile was back. The tilted up chin and eyes alight with mischief as he looked up at Jonghyun.

“If you think hard, you actually know the answer to both of those questions.” He twitched his eyebrows with sass. 

Jonghyun’s fingers curled into fists. It felt as though the words sunk into his mind and dragged up answers instantly.

“Changhyun.” The name rolled off his lips. “You’re the one interrupting my sleep.” Jonghyun’s head spun slightly. “You were drinking my blood.”

“Just a little bit,” Changhyun smiled, it was square and sweet. “You don’t really have much to spare, to be honest.”

“What do you mean?” Jonghyun asked. He blinked a few times, mind whirling and vision blurring a little. 

“Calm down there,” Changhyun pushed him back to the mattress, sitting him down with ease. “I’m not sure you want to look into that part of the memories.”

“Your memories,” Jonghyun groaned, pressing the heels of his hands into his eyes and trying to breathe.

“My memories. My blood gives you some of me, and with that some of my memories.” Changhyun at Jonghyun’s hair, fingers pressing into his scalp and down to the nape. It sent a shiver through Jonghyun’s skin. 

“Why?”

“Magic, I suppose,” Changhyun’s fingers were now tracing a path over Jonghyun’s neck, pausing at the place he had been aching.

“No,” Jonghyun’s head rose, turning to stare into Changhyun’s fathomless eyes. “Why me? Why have you done this?”

“You were dying.” Changhyun’s smile was no where to be seen. A slightly pinched expression had replaced it. 

“Dying?” Jonghyun felt disbelief rising in his stomach, ready to strike at Changhyun. 

“Yes. There was a strange taste to your blood. When I had it tested, you had incredibly high white cell counts.” Changhyun’s teeth nipped his lower lip for a moment. “Leukaemia. Aggressive judging by how you’ve been the last few months.”

Jonghyun’s brain was screaming. He felt the odd sensation of Changhyun’s memory rippling through as the other man spoke. It gave him a fractured sense of dislocation, of being both here and there as he watched through Changhyun’s eyes, tasted in his own mouth when there was nothing there. 

He pressed his hands into his temples once more. Information was clawing at him, tearing through him as he tried to stem the tide. He grunted, feeling as though he might break the bones of his skull. 

“Breathe.” That voice that was so light and full of life. “Breathe, Jonghyun. It will pass in a moment.”

Jonghyun’s breath shuddered. He could feel Changhyun’s fingers at his throat, circular patterns across the skin. He could feel the bed beneath his legs. There was a hush of a breeze through the trees outside. 

His brain quietened once more. Everything was clear now. Changhyun was telling the truth. He had blood cancer. He had been ignoring it for months. Getting sick all the time, being so tired. But there was something else. He turned to Changhyun once more. 

“You have been preying on me for a long time,” Jonghyun whispered. “You have been sneaking through my window every full moon. Why?”

Changhyun blinked, fingers slowing their circular patterns and falling to Jonghyun’s broad shoulder. He pushed, forcing Jonghyun onto his back and climbing atop him. Jonghyun didn’t resist. The power behind Changhyun’s single hand could have crushed his bones with ease. 

His eyes were dark now, deep black and endless. The sweetness had vanished, replaced with an aura of power that sent a chill of fear through Jonghyun’s body. 

Changhyun swept down upon him, hands pinning Jonghyun to the bed. 

“My dear, don’t be afraid,” the breath was icy as it breathed into his ear. 

The pain was like ice burning through his veins, shooting from his neck to his collarbone. Jonghyun writhed beneath the strong body, gasps soft cries of pain escaping him. Then it faded, warming and becoming a steady throb of heat through him. His cries turned to a light moan. His head turned away, giving Changhyun more room. 

A tongue swiped over his neck and the heat receded. Changhyun sat up, eyes afire with life and ecstasy. His lips were red once more, the vessels in his neck jumping beneath the porcelain skin. Where Changhyun’s hips were pressing down into Jonghyun he could feel the hot, hardness against his abdomen. 

“Mm,” Changhyun pressed a hand to his lips. “You taste better now. Healthier.”

Jonghyun stared. 

“Come here, love,” Changhyun’s hands released him. They pulled Jonghyun into a sitting position.

Changhyun settled into his lap, straddling Jonghyun. He turned Jonghyun’s head, pulling his lips against the throbbing throat. 

“Drink,” Changhyun mumbled, grip gentle against Jonghyun’s head and neck. 

Jonghyun felt the throb against his mouth. The soft skin beneath brushing over his lips with each pulse. He took a long breath. Changhyun smelt divine. He was a mixture of heady, tangy blood and earthy herbs. Jonghyun’s hands came up, cupping the back of Changhyun’s neck. His mouth opened, teeth pressing down into Changhyun flesh. It was strong, unyielding. He pressed harder, a small growl emerging against the skin. 

Changhyun’s breath hitched, he gave a small cry.

Everything disappeared as the first wash of blood hit his tongue. It was warm, tangy, comforting in his mouth. He swallowed. It burned down his throat, sending ripples of heat throughout his body. He drew more out, at the feel of it. He felt alive. Strong. Pleasure crested through his stomach. His groin tightened as heat began pooling there. 

Then it was gone. The pulse of heat still pumping through him but the throat taken away and the blood finished. Jonghyun panted. It was reaching his fingers now, and his toes. They were set afire along with the rest of him. He moaned, clutching at Changhyun’s firm back and trying to pull him back down for more. 

“Mm,” Changhyun’s voice sounded different now. He could hear more notes in it, a deeper timbre. “Now you understand, don’t you?”

“I want more,” Jonghyun pressed his whole body up and into Changhyun, still trying to drag the other man down. 

“Not yet, love,” Changhyun gave a soft laugh. It was music in Jonghyun’s ears. “We have to go and feed properly. Then we can play.”

Jonghyun nuzzled at Changhyun’s chest, eyes closing as he breathed the other man’s scent in. The rush beginning in his brain was becoming familiar. Jonghyun took a long, slow breath, ready for the onslaught of memories. 

A young man walking the dark streets, his clothes spoke of a long gone era. Lanterns lit the wide, dirt road and showed the deserted town before him. There was a pain in his heart, an ache for company. For someone to look at him and see him once more. It had been a century since he had even had a conversation. 

The same man, looking not a day older, walked a busy port. Street performers had gathered a crowd of evening revellers beneath the gas lights. The bars and inns were bustling with noise and people. The young man moved among them, locking eyes with the occasional passerby.  His heart was still heavy, he paused and watched a pair of tumblers. Their fiddler was beautiful. A longing throb ran through him. With a sigh, he turned away and continued to walk. 

The lights were bright now. Electric and beaming through the city square. He searched the faces on the street. He had spent centuries having conversations with humans, with people from all walks of life. He had followed them home, snuck through their locked doors and tasted their blood. None had ever captured him. None had ever stilled the longing in his heart. 

The young man was staring, eyes caught on the beautifully wide eyes and broad shoulders. He was so bored with eternity. Broad shoulders were enough to entice him he was that bored. He followed him home, smiling at the second floor window without a screen. Changhyun lowered himself onto the bed over the body. The first rush of blood sent a jolt of electricity through him. 

Jonghyun hummed, shaking his head as an odd sensation of deja vu hit him.

Jonghyun nuzzled at Changhyun’s chest, eyes closing as he breathed the other man’s scent in. 

“Now you are mine,” Changhyun whispered, pressing a kiss to Jonghyun’s hair. 

Jonghyun gave a chuckle in reply. He leaned back once again, looking up into Changhyun’s eyes. He ran a hand over his cheek and smiled. 

“Let’s go,” Jonghyun whispered. “Take me far away.”

Changhyun ducked, bringing their lips together firmly. 

With elegant motions they approached the window. 

“Watch me,” Changhyun whispered before throwing himself through the open window and down into the tangled grass below. Jonghyun smiled, taking one last look at his room, his life. The moonlight was bright over it, his own shadow across the floor. He threw himself out the window. 

He took Changhyun’s hand, an indulgent look coming into his eyes as he stared down at him. 

“No longer forsaken.” He cupped the short vampires chin, kissing him slowly beneath the moonlight. 

A cloud passed over the moon. When the world brightened once more, they were gone. 

 

 

=============================

 

A/N: Uh, VAMPIRES! 

Actually this is a song fic. One of my favourite bands has a song called Forsaken. It's about a person being visited by a vampire and they dont realise it isn't a dream until they wake and find them there and realise the vampire has been drinkning their blood every night. It's pretty rad. And it totally inspired this drabble of ChangRick. Mostly because Ricky is a vampire. He does not age. Eternally youthful and deadly.

After I finished writing it I then immediately thought of how I would like to have written it another way. But I'm happy with this. I hope you like it!

Forsaken by Dream Theater (Ok apparently this has a film clip! I've never watched it and now I'm heartbroken! also spacevampires??!!?)