You Can Do It (N.A.P)

Drabbles for Days

Cap was sitting on the floor of the loungeroom, sketching and humming to his music when the door swung open. Niel stomped into the low entryway, kicking his shoes off violently (one crashing into the wall) and tossing his school bag into the room with a huff. Cap looked up from his artwork slowly, taking a moment to sip his tea.

“Hey honey, welcome home.” Cap said evenly, setting the art pad aside and climbing to his feet.

“Hi.” Niel pouted, holding his arms out for a hug.

Cap crossed the space between them without rushing and brought Niel into his arms. Bending the younger’s head to his shoulder in comfort and his back.

“How was uni?” Cap asked, knowing the answer.

“I can’t do this! I’m not smart enough.” Niel practically wailed into his neck.

“Nonsense.” Cap replied, still Niel’s back.

“Everyone else has their assignments started and their draft submitted, I haven’t even chosen a topic.” Niel’s face pressed into Cap’s shoulder even further, “I’m never gonna keep up. Everyone else seems to find it so easy and I just don’t understand. I feel like an idiot.” Niel seemed to be trying to bury himself in Cap’s shoulder, refusing to raise his head.

“Honey,” Cap began, “Everyone else is probably having a hard time too. It’s university, it’s your first year, it’s not supposed to be easy.”

“Well it’s not. And other people find it easy.” Niel sulked, still not bringing his head up from Cap’s shoulder.

“Who? They’re probably lying.”

“Stupid people in my class. They know all the answers to the questions.” Niel’s pout was back.

“Ah, teacher’s pets. Probably just showing off because they’re nervous about starting too.” Cap said dismissively. “It’s gonna be ok. It’ll get easier. I’ll make you some tea and we can talk about choosing a topic for your assignment. Ok?”

Niel sighed and held onto Cap a little tighter. After a moment, he released his grip and brought his head up from its hiding place.

“Ok.” He nodded.

“Ok. Go have a shower, I’ll put the kettle on.” Cap pushed him towards the bathroom with a kind smile. With the kettle filled and set to boil Cap settled back on the floor at the low coffee table and continued his sketching.

When Niel returned from his shower, wearing an overlarge shirt and boxers, he pulled the pad from Cap’s lap and plonked himself there instead. Kissing his boyfriend on the lips and looking brighter than when he had arrived home.

“Hello.” He said sweetly, smiling in a coy way.

“Hello there.” Cap wound his arms around Niel’s waist.

“Thanks for being the best.”

“No problem.” Cap grinned, “It’s natural.”

“Pssh.” Niel rolled his eyes and smiled widely.

They stayed silent a moment.

“Love you.” Niel said softly.

“Love you too.” Cap rested his chin on Niel’s shoulder.