Free Will

Telecom Juniors

===

I can’t let you go…

It was the words Han Seo always remembered after the encounter with Xie Ning. Sad to say for Han Seo's case, her time with Xie Ning came to an end. Han Seo undergoes another time of loneliness. As much as she never wanted to let go of her encounters with various juniors, she had to.

The weather didn’t help either, the rain pouring heavily within the fields of the university. She was inside her dormitory room, regretting of ignoring of her cousin asking her out to eat.

*ring*

Han Seo huffed and grabbed her phone. “Hello?”

Hey, cousin. Catch up here and have something to eat.

“Hmm…” Han Seo hummed. “Just get me some take out. Sorry, Kyul. I’m really not in the mood to go out today.”

Okay.

Han Kyul hung up and Han Seo still decided to stay. She decides to sleep it off.

+++

Miss Han Seo, this is SK Telecom. Please settle your next junior as soon as possible.

Han Seo hung up and placed her phone down. She was at her favorite convenience store again as she checked the box of cards. She got Xie Ning's card and placed it on another slot next to Hye Yeon's. Han Seo sighed of the two remaining cards, all in the same series. Han Seo grabs the one on the right.

“A Girl Like Me series…Han Hae Bin…Free-willed Junior…” She read. “Hmm…another common characteristic.”

Han Seo disregarded such fact and processed it.

+++

Han Seo froze just like her junior. She had a stoic face. Her junior was smiling.

“Hae Bin, right?” Han Seo asked.

“Ne.” Hae Bin bowed. “Hello, sunbaenim. It’s nice to finally meet you.”

“Nice to meet you too.” Han Seo greeted back.

“Sunbae, shall we do our homework?” Hae Bin asked, getting her notebooks from her bag.

Han Seo could almost forget her own homework and was thankful that Hae Bin reminded her. Han Seo nodded and she and Hae Bin decided to do their homework together.

+++

Han Seo was calling someone as Han Kyul looked at her cousin. Han Seo hung up moments later.

“How’s everything coming along?” Han Kyul asked. “Was that Hae Bin?”

“She says she’s trying ask her parents if she can board inside the university. She even wanted to stay in our room.” Han Seo answered.

“Really now?” Han Seo asked. “I still need to renovate it.”

“Shall I help you?” Han Kyul asked.

“Nah. I’ll do it myself. You have a lecture in five minutes.” Han Seo pointed at her watch.

Han Kyul rushed outside as Han Seo was left alone. With all the time for today, she went to the guest room to start renovating.

“Sunbae~”

“What the-Hae Bin?!” Han Seo was shocked. “How did you even get inside?!”

“I had a will to get here, sunbae. I went through the window.” Hae Bin pointed at the broken window.

“Aish! You don’t break in to get inside! You should’ve just told me to pick you up or something.” Han Seo sighed.

“But I’m here now.” Hae Bin grinned. “Shall we make the arrangements?”

Han Seo was still flustered but she decided to help her junior anyways.

+++

“Wake up~ baby~”

Han Seo jolted up with the sudden voice. She rubbed, her eyes, seeing Hae Bin work on something.

“Jesus, Hae Bin…so early…” Han Seo yawned.

Hae Bin greeted her senior a good morning as she pulled Han Seo to show her what she had been doing. Han Seo checked it, wowing lightly.

“Is this a biometric sensor?” She asked, holding the device the size of a car key.

“Ne. I made it myself, sunbae.” Hae Bin nodded. “There’s this IEEE Casting Call and I want to join.”

“So we'll be going together then? I’m a panelist for the Casting Call.” Han Seo said.

“Then I should continue!” Hae Bin got it and continued to work. “I want this to be perfect. I can’t fail you, sunbae.”

“Hae Bin, I like the will and all but you need to eat.” Han Seo grew worried. “Why don’t you eat first?”

“I’ll just cook some noodles and eat while I work, sunbae. Now get ready.” Hae Bin pats her back. “You got a class.”

Han Seo nodded and decided to leave her junior to work. Han Seo went to grab her shampoo when Hae Bin called.

“Which ramen do you want, sunbae?”

“Nuclear spicy.” Han Seo picked.

Hae Bin poked the pack with her chin and it opened. Han Seo gasped, all while she went to the bathroom to shower.

+++

Afternoon came and Han Seo was done with her classes. She got to her room and screamed of the mess.

There were bits of metal, ink splatters, and scattered tools. Han Seo crept in and saw Hae Bin still working with her project. She even flipped out as Hae Bin faced her, her hair messy as she still wore her brown pajamas. She even developed bits of hair in between her nose and lips, like a mustache.

“What have you been doing?” Han Seo asked. “You were working on that the whole afternoon?!”

“I couldn’t waste time, sunbae.” Hae Bin spoke hoarsely.

“Aish, you even made a mess.” Han Seo spoke and got closer. “Why don’t you rest?”

“But-“

“As your senior, I worry. Now go and rest. That’s an instruction and you’re required to obey.”

Hae Bin stopped and nodded. She got up but she slumped. Han Seo was quick to catch her. She sighed and carried her bedroom, allowing her to sleep.

“Damn, she even snores loud.” Han Seo cussed. “There’s even will onto a snore, aish…”

“What happened here?!”

Han Seo went out of Hae Bin's room and saw her cousin. Han Seo made it quick to clean the place up before Han Kyul got inside.

“Hae Bin got messy.” Han Seo spoke.

“Is that her snore?” Han Kyul asked as she heard.

“Yeah.” Han Seo sighed. “Let’s have a drink?”

“Let’s go.”

+++

The cousins were eating and drinking at a local restaurant. Han Kyul was munching some greens, seeing her cousin stare at the ox head soup for so long.

“Yah. Don’t leave the food hanging.” Han Kyul spoke. “Is something bothering you?”

“Hae Bin has been working her out.” Han Seo said. “She might overwork herself again.”

“Willed people anger at nothing, Han Seo. They will never waster time and will prioritize a lot. If you’re worried of her not resting, she has days to loaf. Usually, people who work a lot always have a day of loafing.” Han Kyul shared.

“I see.” Han Seo nodded and resumed eating.

It was nothing but sound of enjoying delicious food and drinks. But then, Han Kyul had to break the ice again. “I got a text from Mama.”

“And?” Han Seo wondered.

“Imonie Min Seo's in comatose.”

+++

Han Seo rushed again and Han Kyul followed her like a lost puppy. They got to the Min Seo's room as they saw her lifeless, with their Imonie Mi Na hugging her. What made it worse was that she was crying.

“Han Seo? Han Kyul?” Their Imonie Na Young saw them.

They greeted their aunt and Na Young hugs them, with a longer hug towards Han Seo.

“Imonie…what happened to Mama?” Han Seo asked.

“Her condition has worsened. She suddenly collapsed during work and hasn’t woke up.” Na Young spoke, wiping a tear from her eye and Han Seo's. “Come inside. Unnie would die to see her baby girl.”

Han Seo went in and Mi Na greeted her with a hug and kiss on the cheek. She made way for Han Seo as she looked at her unconscious mother.

“Ma…how could this happen?” Han Seo sniffled as she held her hand. “Why didn’t you tell me? I could’ve gotten to you. I don’t care if I miss classes. Couldn’t I get a least one day to be here for you, after all that you’ve done for me?”

Min Seo held back as tears dropped. Na Young went to get the doctor as Han Seo fought the urge to cry in front of her mom as Min Seo opened her eyes slowly.

“Aish, you little…” Min Seo spoke as she patted her daughter’s head. “…did you skip you class?”

“Seriously, Ma. You had to say that of all things. I did.” Han Seo answered.

“You’re my sweet little girl. You know that.” Min Seo spoke and wiped her daughter’s tears. “I’m not mad. I’ve been wanting to see you, my Han Seo.”

“I wanted to see you too…” Han Seo sniffled. “ I missed you, Ma.”

Min Seo hugged her and Han Seo hugged back. Her aunts and cousin adored them. Mi Na thought it was the same moment when Han Seo was little.

“Let me stay here, Ma.” Han Seo pouted.

“Me too, Imonie.” Han Kyul added.

“Alright. But just for tonight. You have classes tomorrow.” Min Seo said.

Everyone was happy for the company. Han Seo cheered like the little kid she was as she decided to spend the short time to be with her family, especially to be with her mother.

+++

The next day came and Han Seo was too happy. Her mother was released from the hospital and came with her to the university. Kyul Kyung also came with them as she was with her daughter.

“Slow down, Ma. Here. Let me help you.” Han Seo said.

“Aigoo…I’m not that old yet, Han Seo.” Min Seo spoke but let’s her daughter help her anyway.

Han Kyul also assisted her mother when they got to the bedroom. They were shocked of the mess and of the sleeping damsel by the desk.

“New junior?” Min Seo asked her daughter.

“Yes, Ma.” Han Seo nodded. “Her name is Han Hae Bin.”

“I’ll rest by your recliner. Clean the place and help her to her bed.” Min Seo instructed.

Han Seo became obedient and did everything her mother said. Han Kyul helped her cousin finish cleaning the place as Han Seo carried Hae Bin to her bed. As she got her placed on her bed, Han Seo noticed that Hae Bin was heating up.

“Ah…you’ve overworked yourself…” Han Seo hissed of the contact.

She went outside to grab some hot water and cloth and went back to mend Hae Bin of her fever. She finished it off by placing the cloth on top of her forehead and tucking her to bed. She got out to pour the water out and place the basin back, only to stop by and check her mom.

“Fever?” She asked her.

“My junior, Ma. But I eased it a bit by wiping her off.” Han Seo said.

“I saw her contraption by the counter. Did she make that?” Min Seo asked again.

“She did. She will be participating in a convention in which I’ll be the panelist.” Han Seo answered.

“Han Seo, Han Kyul, Unnie…” Kyul Kyung called. “It’s almost 8. We should go. You still need to eat and drink medicine, Unnie.”

Min Seo got up slowly and went to hug Han Seo. “Take care of yourselves. Cook some soup and prepare paracetamol for your junior. Remember to let her drink every four hours.”

“Alright, Ma.” Han Seo nodded. “Take care of yourself too.”

The Han cousins hugged their moms and Kyul Kyung and Min Seo left the place. The two cousins slumped on their beds afterwards, sighing and looking at the ceiling.

“I miss them already,” said Han Kyul.

“Same.” Han Seo mumbled.

“Did Hae Bin work on her contraption the whole day without pauses? She had overworked herself. Now she got a fever.” Han Kyul spoke. “The convention is in two days time. Will she be able to participate?”

“She can. She has this day to loaf and get back to work tomorrow.” Han Seo said.

Han Kyul could only nod and take a nap. Han Seo yawned and joined her.

+++

Han Seo was done with her classes. She decided to stop by the canteen and get some snacks for her and Hae Bin. Han Kyul went to Sentosa for her thesis so they had the place to themselves for tonight. As she got her pack, a pair of women went to her. “Han Seo-sunbaenim?”

Han Seo faced them and responded. “Yes? What can I do for you two?”

“We’re Hae Bin’s classmates. We wanted to ask how she was.” The first of them spoke.

“She’s resting due to fever.” Han Seo answered.

“I see.” The other one nodded. “She has a concern from our class, sunbaenim.”

“She had been absent for six consecutive days, sunbaenim. Our adviser had dropped her.” The first spoke again.

Han Seo was shocked. But knowing that Hae Bin had worked too much on her contraption for the IEEE Casting Call, she knew to why Hae Bin would be absent from her classes for an entire week.

“What about the Casting Call? She’s going to be a participant. Would the adviser not grant any excuse or merit?” Han Seo asked. “Who’s your adviser anyways?”

“No, sunbaenim. Actually, she and another classmate will be participants of the Casting Call but our other classmate managed to balance herself of priorities, at least that’s what Professor Bang said.” The other said again. “She said that Hae Bin’s absences due to the Casting Call aren’t reasonable enough.”

“Bang Ji Eun? Is she your professor?” Han Seo asked and they nodded. “She’s a fresh graduate here in our department. Don’t worry of Hae Bin. I’ll talk to your professor of her concern.”

The two juniors nodded and thanked Han Seo as they left. Han Seo rushed towards the apartment and saw Hae Bin awake, working again. Han Seo puts the pack and stopped her. She checked her fever and it was still there.

“Hae Bin…you’re overworking again.” Han Seo spoke.

“I need to finish this, sunbae. The Casting Call is tomorrow.” Hae Bin said.

“Stop.” Han Seo spoke sternly that Hae Bin obeyed. “I’ll help you finish it. You need to rest.”

“But sunbae…it’s my work.” Hae Bin said.

“You won’t finish this on your condition. You’re still sick and overworking will worsen it. If it does, you won’t participate.” Han Seo spoke. “As a panelist, I will not let you participate if you’re not well.”

Hae Bin didn’t have a choice and obeyed. She decided to get some rest again when she collapsed. Han Seo was quick to catch her and carried her again. Hae Bin felt a thump on her chest as she wrapped her arms around Han Seo’s shoulders.

“Why do you do this, sunbae?” Han Bin asked weakly.

“I’m your senior. I’m worried and partly responsible for you. Seeing you sick will make me accountable of what you’re doing.” Han Seo said and she got her to bed. “Wait here.”

She went out and heated up some porridge. As prior to her mother’s instruction, she prepared a bowl of if and a paracetamol tablet. She got them in a tray and went back to Hae Bin’s aid. She placed the tray closer and fed Hae Bin.

“Sunbae, I can do it myself.” Hae Bin said and got the spoon.

Han Seo nodded and lets Hae Bin do it but her hand slipped. Han Seo caught the spoon quickly and made the notion to feed her instead. Hae Bin became subservient and her heart would pump loudly because of Han Seo’s gestures.

It was quiet and Han Seo made sure Hae Bin ate fully. Hae Bin finished with a cute burp and Han Seo lets her drink her medicine. Han Seo went to wash the dishes and got back to Hae Bin to check on her.

“How are you feeling?” Han Seo asked.

“At ease, sunbaenim.” Hae Bin said then reached to hug her. “Thank you…”

Han Seo hugged back. She broke but Hae Bin didn’t let go and hugged her longer. She was too overwhelmed that Han Seo was a very caring senior that she wondered to why she doesn’t have any.

She knew the reality, that she was a part of a promo and that her time with Han Seo won’t be permanent. But a large part of her wanted her to always stay by Han Seo’s side, not because of pity but she also had a spot for her.

“Why aren’t other juniors opening up to you? You’re a sweet angel, sunbae…” Hae Bin added a caress by her hair. “…but I’m glad.”

“Why?” Han Seo asked.

“Because I am the only one who gets to witness it.” Hae Bin said as she hugged Han Seo tighter. “I feel special.”

Han Seo chuckled and patted Hae Bin’s head. “That’s touching.”

Han Seo was still intact on that hug until Hae Bin fell asleep in her arms. Han Seo tucked her to sleep again and made a note to give her medicine later until it subsides.

She got out slowly and checked her device. She scanned her fingerprint and it showed her IQ.

“Wow. It’s done.” Han Seo commented.

She saw other parts and Hae Bin’s blueprint. All she needed was an upgrade on the design. Han Seo decided to work on it.

Han Seo could only smile. It was the little thing she could do out of care.

+++

It was another day and Han Seo went to check on Hae Bin. Her fever wasn’t that high anymore but it was still there plus Hae Bin had trouble waking up. Han Seo sighed and went out, getting her device.

The IEEE Casting Call has two categories: Capstone and Techpreneurship. Capstone is a set of live demonstrations of inventions while Techpreneurship is a display of inventions for selling.

Han Seo considered Hae Bin’s case. She wanted to participate for Capstone but she wouldn’t be able to demonstrate due to her condition. As a panelist, Han Seo decided to showcase Hae Bin’s invention for Techpreneurship. It would break Hae Bin’s heart but for Han Seo, it was better than not participating to the convention at all. Han Seo saw the hardwork Hae Bin did for her project and she wanted to showcase it despite of her condition.

She left a note before going to the convention hall.

+++

The IEEE Casting Call was like a bazaar for the techie people. From a set of microbots to artificial intelligence, the place was booming with the ambiance of technology.

Han Seo was with the other panelists as they judged all the works. Their last stop was the display for Techpreneurship.

“Han Seo-ya. Where’s Hae Bin’s work here?” Ji Eun asked, also one of the panelists.

“Right here, sunbaenim.” Han Seo pointed. “She would’ve participated for Capstone but she’s sick.”

“I see.” Ji Eun nodded.

“If she were to win Best in TechPre, please consider her back as a regular student.” Han Seo said.

“Deal.” Ji Eun agreed but then she gasped. “What’s that ruckus?”

They heard screams from security. Han Seo checked and there was Hae Bin, wearing a brown plaid shirt, some pants, and slippers. She had glasses and her head was a little disheveled. Han Seo went there to stop security and faced Hae Bin. “What are you doing here?”

“Sunbae, I came to participate for Cap-“ She stopped as she saw her device being judged for Techpreneurship. “Sunbae…”

“I can explain…” Han Seo said as they decided to talk outside.

+++

Han Seo and Hae Bin went to the convenience store to eat. Han Seo got Hae Bin her medicine as she drank after eating.

“I’m sorry. If I didn’t take your device, you wouldn’t be able to participate either way. I decided to enter your invention for Techpreneurship to make up for your hardwork. What I did was almost an insult to your intellectual property right. With that, I apologize.” Han Seo explained.

“Why didn’t you call me, sunbae?” Hae Bin asked, her voice hoarse. “Why didn’t call me today?”

“You were still sick, Hae Bin. The fever wasn’t gone. I decide that after the convention, I take you to the doctor for checkup.” Han Seo said.

“Sunbae…”

“I told you. As your senior, I take accountability for everything you do and of its consequence.” Han Seo said. “When something wrong happens, remember that I’ll be here for you. Our time isn’t permanent so I’ll make every second count.”

Hae Bin was touched with her senior’s words that she hugged her. Han Seo hugged back and eased her as she was sniffling. Her tears might stain her shirt but she was always willing to be by her side.

+++

The time with Hae Bin was almost over but every moment she had with Han Seo was the best. Her invention was Best in TechPre that she went to school again. Han Seo and Hae Bin shared their moments within school-related stuff and had the same will of finishing their studies.

For now, the two visited Min Seo and Hae Bin was honored to meet her senior’s mother. They had fun throughout the day until they had to go back to the university. Hae Bin held Han Seo’s hand tenderly as they walked.

“This was the best memory of my life, sunbae.”  Hae Bin said. “I wish we didn’t have to separate.”

“I’ll keep in touch, Hae Bin.” Han Seo assured her.

They arrived at an apartment and Hae Bin got inside yet she faced Han Seo. It was their last day. Hae Bin moved out and transferred to another room and had settled matters with Han Seo. Looking at her senior, she was tearful, all while a hand reached to hold Han Seo’s face.

“Can’t we negotiate?” Hae Bin asked.

“Not this time.” Han Seo answered.

Hae Bin wrapped her arms around Han Seo’s neck and kissed her passionately. She broke but she held Han Seo close, not wanting her to go.

“See you soon.” Han Seo said.

“Please choose me.” Hae Bin spoke as she lets go.

Han Seo nodded and the door closed in front of her. She could hear Hae Bin’s cries on the other side but she had to carry on.

Han Seo left with a sad walk but it was all to her free will.

===