Final Decision

Telecom Juniors

A hand fiddled with the card before it was placed back in the container. Eyes peer onto the window where a scene of a rainy day was witnessed. A body slumped onto a seat as a groan escaped from the mouth.


It had been a week since the promo finished. Han Seo went on with her endeavors in school yet there was always a time to reflect onto the events wherein she encountered various juniors. Each of them had wonderful characteristics, sometimes odd in the long run but significant all the same. Then again, with the promo comes a decision that will be made. With the encounters, how in the world will she choose? And if she did, for what possible reason?


“Han Seo-ya.” She was back to reality thanks to her cousin’s call.


“What is it, Han Kyul-ah?” Han Seo responded.


“Mama texted me just now.” Han Kyul began. “The family reunion’s tomorrow. We need to go home this evening.”


How could the genius forget the family reunion? It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to see her aunties and her mother. The fun part was that she was going to see two out of nine juniors she met.


“Okay. Thanks for the reminder.” Han Seo spoke. “I already packed my stuff. Don’t forget yours.”


“You’ve been fiddling onto those cards for so long.” Han Kyul spoke, her book tossed aside. “Is something wrong?”


“Me deciding only one junior that I take out to the prom night. That’s what’s wrong.” Han Seo spoke.


The prom night was an annual event in their university, initiated for graduating students. On the prom night was the last dance, the most awaited part of the event. Seniors would take their juniors out and spend their last dance with their chosen partners.


It was the price Han Seo got within her participation in the promo. She will select her partner from the nine juniors. Most of the students thought both parties were lucky. The nine juniors were popular because of their looks, just like Han Seo was with other juniors.


“Ah…it’s the price you pay for that promo, Han Seo-ya.”


“Fact. For a moment, I thought it was a waste of time for SK Telecom to invest in it...” Han Seo began. “…then again, it was a wonderful opportunity to meet them. I felt less lonely for a change.”


“Can’t you just take them all out?” Han Kyul raised.


“I had the idea too but you know it’s impossible, right?”


“Maybe Imonie Min Seo can spare some advice. She experienced choosing for Mama and our aunties.” Han Kyul spoke. “Consider the reunion as a wonderful way to have a talk with her and help you make a decision.”


“I felt like I lost a brain cell or two because you’ve given me a wonderful idea, Han Kyul-ah.” Han Seo was relieved.


“You’re welcome.” Han Kyul added before resuming her reading time.


Han Seo stop fiddling with the cards and placed them back on the box. She hid the box inside her drawer and decided to take a little nap.


+++


“Thank you for this wonderful meal!”


Min Seo smiled as fifteen of her loved ones were having dinner with her as their family reunion. What made her happy was that she finally gets to have time with her daughter.


But as far as she had seen, Han Seo was less vibrant than usual.


“Han Seo-ya, what’s wrong?” Min Seo asked, a hand holding hers.


Han Seo was back to reality as all eyes were on her. Han Kyul was giving her eye signals, leaving her to exhale and answer. “I was thinking of something, Ma.”


“What is it?”


“Imonie.” Little Se Jeong spoke. “I think Han Seo’s been thinking about the prom.”


“Really?” Min Seo asked then smiled, making everyone adore her and the Sun losing its job. “What are you worried about?”


“Uh…picking a partner?” Han Seo spoke, head ducked.


“Han Kyul-ah, have you picked your date?” Kyul Kyung asked.


“I’m taking one of Mi Rae’s juniors out.” Han Kyul spoke then called Han Seo. “Yu Jeong was her name, right?”


“Right.” Han Seo nodded.


“How about you, Han Seo-ya?”


Han Seo stopped again. She saw her aunts’ worried faces, even her mother’s. But what overlapped those gazes were the ones from the little ones, Se Jeong and Mi Na.


“I’m sure she’ll pick me.” Little Mi Na voiced out.


“Excuse me?” Little Se Jeong added. “You’re mistaken. Han Seo will choose me.”


The two were almost barking at each other, to which their mothers had to quiet them down as Han Seo went fidgety. Min Seo eases her daughter through gentle holds of her hand and the latter was relieved. 


“You shouldn’t pressure her.” Se Jeong pinched the ear of her daughter.


“You too.” Mi Na said while doing to same to her own.


“Reminds me of the little fights the eleven of us have towards Min Seo-unnie.” So Mi voiced out.


The main mother and daughter couldn’t hold their laughs, leaving all of them to join in then continue their dinner. For Han Seo, she was calm from her inner conflicts and decided to think about her decision from then on.


+++


The dinner ended well but Han Seo was left to ponder in her room. The same thought never ceased to go away as she kept on deciding the possibilities of a solution.


Min Seo was aware that as she got to her room with a glass of milk, she smiled sadly and got her daughter’s attention. “Would you want more time to think?”


“M-Ma…” Han Seo got up and lets her come inside. “I’m sorry for not noticing you there…”


“Aigoo…that’s normal when you contemplate. Have a drink.” Min Seo offered the glass.


Han Seo thanked her and drank quickly, causing her to choke. Min Seo gave pats and Han Seo managed to drink until the last drop. “Thanks, Ma…”


“Mind talking to me about that prom of yours?”


Han Seo was caught off guard but she couldn’t avoid her mother talking about it. Nonetheless, they sat by the bed and talked.


“I’m confused, Ma.” Han Seo started. “It’s just they’re the most significant people I’ve met. I cared less about what they are. They helped gain friendship, they helped me mold to become for what I am, and they cared about me.”


“I see. I saw the spark in the little ones’ eyes when it’s about you. Your Imonies also had that same look back in the day when they wanted to be my sisters.” Min Seo said. “Of course, it’s hard to choose. You fear that you won’t treat them fairly or you’ll hurt their feelings.”


“I would’ve decided to take them all to prom but…it doesn’t suit, right?”


“If it doesn’t, who cares?” Min Seo spoke. “What matters is that you give time to them. The ten of you will be wearing elegant clothes and have fun together.”


“After that?” Han Seo asked.


“It shouldn’t change after that, Han Seo-ya.” Min Seo added, cupping her daughter’s cheeks. “You will gain friendship…and true friendship will remain intact, no matter what will happen.”


A hug came after, leaving Han Seo to contemplate and at the same time, to feel better in making a decision. Han Seo hugged Min Seo tighter, leaning her head on her mother’s shoulder. They stayed quiet and stayed in each other’s arms for a long time.


For whatever her decision was worth, she hoped to accept it fully.


+++


It was another day at the university. Han Seo was looking at her calendar inside the science room since she was tallying the remaining days until prom. She got to her workstation when a classmate patted her back. “We’re going out to order take-out. You want something?”


“A full sub and a medium Coke.”


Her classmate raised a thumb as Han Seo resumed her schoolwork. She was working on an integrated circuit for her robot while reading another favorite manga when a ruckus happened outside. Han Seo stopped what she was doing to check, gasping to see two familiar faces dashing to her and hugging her.


“Oof! Mi MI! Hye Yeon!”


“Sunbae! I’m glad to see you again!” Mi Mi gleamed and cupped Han Seo’s left cheek. “Thankfully. My semester with KAIST ended early. That way, I can come here and expect us to partners for the prom.”


Han Seo went mum, especially when Hye Yeon was the same. Judging from Hye Yeon’s short pink hair and demure nature, Han Seo had to act differently.


“Got the invitation for the prom, right?” Han Seo spat, eyes glaring at Hye Yeon. “I hope my pawn comes to it without fail.”


“What are you talking about? It’s not like I’m going if you won’t be my partner!”


Mi Mi made a beeping noise. Hye Yeon hissed because she hated playing a demure manga character. Han Seo broke off her charade, saying. “Again with the prom. Just so you know, I haven’t decided it yet.”


“There must be some kind of mistake, sunbae. I can tell you want to choose me.” Mi Mi pointed at herself.


Hye Yeon wasn’t buying it. Luckily, she and Han Seo changed to their usual forms, as drawn in Han Seo’s manga of her  perspective of Hye Yeon.


“Well then…” Hye Yeon faced Han Seo, arms crossed. “I’m not going to prom if you won’t be my partner, sunbae.”


Han Seo was in another hot seat. And again, Han Kyul returned with their orders. Han Seo could thank her cousin for saving the day again.


“Mi Mi, Hye Yeon…” Han Kyul got in between them and Han Seo. “I’m afraid my cousin hasn’t decided yet. You’ll be informed later on.”


The bell rung. Mi Mi and Hye Yeon sighed and bid farewell to their senior. Han Kyul motioned Han Seo to follow her back inside the science room.


“You can’t let them wait until prom day, Han Seo. You need to make a decision as soon as possible.”


“Easy for you to say…” Han Seo mumbled and received her order. “Knowing that these girls made a difference to me, it wouldn’t be easy for me to choose.”


“Whatever. Can’t say I didn’t warn you.”


The Han cousins ate their lunch inside. As Han Seo ate her sandwich, she thought about what Han Kyul said.


Dilly-dallying over a decision shouldn’t be in her mind in the first place. She needed to settle her emotional boundaries and choose her partner for the prom.


+++


Han Seo sat in silence, watching all her friends gathered to talk about the prom. Han Kyul was already sure to take Yu Jeong out. Jeong Mi and Mi Rae decided to go together. And as for Ki Reum, she invited her cousin to be her plus one.


“Han Seo-ya, why are you staring into silence?” Jeong Mi asked.


“Didn’t you hear Han Kyul? Han Seo hasn’t decided a partner yet.” Mi Rae added.


“I’ve been telling you to shut up about it many times. You know Han Seo doesn’t want to talk about it-“


Han Seo stood up, stared at them for a while, and walked away. Han Kyul sighed, blaming Jeong Mi and Mi Rae for digging into the topic. The two sighed and made peace signs towards each other.


Han Seo walked away in hopes of relieving herself. She didn’t want to look stupid in front of her friends and she never wanted to vent her anger at them because of their concerns. A part of her never understood how a simple prom could conflict her decisions. With every step, however, her indecisiveness and anger never went away. As she got to the entrance, she grabbed three boxes of Pepero and almost threw them away.


Inner peace, Han Seo thought. She was better than that.


“I’ve had enough of this madness. I need to calm down and choose. This is for their sake.”


“Who are you talking to, lady?”


Han Seo froze as a kid was looking at her.


“Nothing.” Han Seo mumbled and gave the Pepero box to the kid.


She paid for her own box and left in a haste. She returned to the school and returned to the table where her friends sat earlier, only to gasp as two juniors joined them.


“What’s with the sweat, sunbae?” Nayoung asked, smirking. “I won’t mind, though. You look so hot.”


Ha Na was at the other end and drew closer to Han Seo. She whispered her greetings, leaving Han Seo to whisper her greeting back.


“Sunbae~ notice me~”


“Gosh. That irked me.” Han Kyul shivered while Jeong Mi and Mi Rae nudged her to shut up.


“Yeah…umm…” Han Seo sat down, leaving her in between Ha Na and Na Young. “I see you both. Literally.”


Han Kyul dashed away. Jeong Mi and Mi Rae toppled and pushed each other and followed Han Kyul.


“Yah! Why did you just-“


Han Seo gulped as Na Young pulled her to sit down again. Her hold got to her thighs and her face was close to Han Seo’s. Ha Na was also close as she preferred whispering whatever she wants to say.


The contact, the whispers, and the gap was too much for Han Seo. Their pleas to become her partners for the upcoming prom played in Han Seo’s brain like a broken record, causing her to faint.


Na Young was quick to catch her. Ha Na yelled at the witnesses to help but it was a whisper rather than a yell. Nonetheless, the other witnesses helped them and sent Han Seo to the infirmary.


+++


Han Seo woke up seeing the light. She tried to focus her vision but the light was distracting her. “Did I die?”


“Aish…you’re overreacting.”


A slap was heard. Han Seo’s vision managed to see a wincing Han Kyul and a huffing Kyul Kyung.


“Imonie…Han Kyul-ah-“


Another slap was heard. Kyul Kyung and Han Kyul were frozen. Han Seo winced and screamed seeing Min Seo crossing her arms.


“Unnie…you shouldn’t have hit Han Seo too hard.” Kyul Kyung spoke while holding her arm.


“Ma?! What are you doing here?!” Han Seo rushed up, checking on her mother.


“Your aunt and I wanted to visit the both of you until Han Kyul told us you were in the infirmary. She said you fainted after hanging out with one of your juniors.”


“They’re not to blame, Ma. Na Young’s naturally promiscuous while Ha Na’s quiet.”


“Too quiet. She’s louder than a buzzing mosquito,” said Han Kyul.


Another slap greeted Han Kyul. Kyul Kyung excused herself and her daughter so the other mother and daughter pair can talk. Min Seo faced her weak daughter, saying. “Still haven’t decided yet?”


Han Seo shook her head. Min Seo then whispered something to her that made Han Seo’s eyes dilate.


“Just a suggestion.” Min Seo said and handed a lunch box. “Now eat and gain strength. We’re going out to pick your gown or suit. Whatever you prefer.”


And with that, Han Seo eats wholeheartedly, excited to spend another day with her mother.


+++


Min Seo and Han Seo had a blast hanging out at the mall. Despite all the fun, Min Seo’s note of buying something for Han Seo’s prom was the main priority. Han Seo went with a simple suit and Min Seo was obliged to buy it for her.


“I need to pee, Ma. I’ll be back,” said Han Seo.


Min Seo nodded and her little self went off. As she got in line, she took one more glance at the suit, smiling at the thought of her daughter wearing it to prom.


“Sunbae~”


Min Seo wondered of the voice, shocked to see someone that resembled Han Seo. More like a demure side of Han Seo.


“Sunbae, is that a suit?” It was Xie Ning, holding a microphone.


Min Seo was shocked as Xie Ning looked and sounded like Han Seo. She couldn’t help but point and react.


Another voice popped out from Min Seo’s side and she got another dose of shock. It was Hae Bin and she looked like Xie Ning but was a wreck.


“Why have you picked already, sunbae?!” She asked with a little singing. “I thought you’d spend your prom with me!”


“I haven’t decided yet~” Min Seo went along, getting a nod from Hae Bin.


“Sunbaenim will go to prom with me!”


Min Seo screamed at the third identical person on her back. She was the most prim and proper among the look-alikes, a total opposite of Xie Ning in personality and of Hae Bin in appeal.


“Isn’t that my look when I did a debate in high school?!” Min Seo spoke and played along again. “I haven’t decided my date yet!”


Han Seo returned and was as shocked as her mother. She called the three, saying that was her mother. The three divert their attention to her, asking her to prom like and sounding like the Undead.


“I hate this…” Han Seo mumbled then screamed.


+++


Han Seo gasped as she was in her room. She looked around, eyes stopping at a picture frame on her bedside. She grabbed it and it dawned her.


It was all a dream. The real aftermath? She didn’t go to prom with any of them.


A ring disrupted her reverie. She got her phone and greeted the group chat with a smile. “Gugudan, annyeong~”


Good morning, sunbae!


From there, Han Seo had a talk with them. From making breakfast to suiting up to go somewhere, Han Seo maintained the call.


Sunbae, don’t get too distracted!


“I know, Se Jeong.” Han Seo answered as she arrived at a house. “I’m here.”


The call died but the greetings from the door didn’t. Nine girls greeted Han Seo with hugs, kisses, and pulls for her to get inside. Han Seo wowed at the interior. “This looks great!”


“I made the idea.” Hye Yeon raised a hand. “Mi Mi and Hae Bin helped with it.”


“All of us did.” Mi Na reiterated.


“Dinner’s ready.” Xie Ning spoke from the kitchen. “Main dish is Qingdao Lamb Skewers.”


Mi Na and Hye Yeon were the most giddy to eat, pulling Han Seo with them. Xie Ning finished prepping the table and everyone settled. Han Seo said grace, snorting at the fact that Mi Na was trying to get a skewer and Ha Na slapped her hand away. Nonetheless, Han Seo finished and everyone ate.


Han Seo adored the sight forever. She may have not taken them to prom back in the day, but she had taken them to a future where they can still be friends. Them living together was the best bonus of it all.


“Sunbae, aren’t you going to eat?” Na Young asked then smirked. “Or do you want me to feed you?”


“Not in front of this table, Na Young.” Ha Na spoke clearly for the first time.


“Louder next time.” Mi Mi added.


“Let our leader be. She’s trying.” Se Jeong spoke. “Besides, she can give this house the peace and quiet it needs.”


“Sunbae. Your stare is creepy,” said Xie Ning.


Everyone was silent. Han Seo gained composure, saying. “What? I’m just so happy that we’re still together.”


They adored her. It was then that So Yee raised the question. “Why didn’t you take us to prom back in the day, sunbaenim?”


Han Seo ate her food first. The rest became silent to hear the answer. “It had to do with the telecom service…because I said that-”


“-I’d rather not take them to prom than not see them together again.”


Han Seo faced one of the clerks at SK Telecom. She was summoned by the company to make a decision. The junior she takes to prom would be her final choice. Han Seo thought about what her mother said and opted to pick them all but the clerk didn’t allow it.


It was then Han Seo decided not to take them to prom and inquired an alternative. That left the clerk speechless.


“I didn’t take you guys to prom because I won’t see you all again. If I picked one of you, I won’t see the rest again. I didn’t like that and I’m sure you wouldn’t like it either.” Han Seo spoke. “I decided that I won’t take you to prom back in the day in exchange for this present time.”


“Wow. I like how the cards have been dealt.” So Yee added. “Because we still all get to see you still, sunbaenim.”


Han Seo agreed and everyone understood. It was then Xie Ni g interjected. “Wait a minute. So what if we don’t share sunbae?”


The other members debated. Han Seo laughed at the sight and continued her meal.


In the end, everyone was happy. Because even if the world turns in many ways, Han Seo will always want to cherish her telecom juniors.