Eardrums

Telecom Juniors

===

For the past month, Han Seo would’ve thought she would be taken too soon. But that kind of thinking because she never thought she could bear all the physical pain.

The last days with Se Jeong had been nice but the strength wasn’t. She was carried by her, got pricked on the forehead for losing a game, got her injured aside from that little playful slap, got her hand almost cracked because of a handshake, and got kicked in the face due to playful attempt to smell her foot. Han Seo would’ve lost it but she knew Se Jeong didn’t mean to. She’s just too strong.

When Han Seo came back to her favorite convenience store, it was getting in her nerves. She places Se Jeong’s card on another slot and ranted.

“If I’m given or lent strength one more time, I think I’ll pass onto the next life!” Han Seo huffed.

Han Seo downed her drink and got another card. “Shin Ha Na…Eardrum Junior…”

“Hmmm…is this a junior who soothes my eardrums with a song?” Han Seo got excited. “Maybe I should try it~”

Han Seo typed the usual instructions but instead of going back to the university, she decided to stay for a bit to indulge her favorite drink.

+++

Han Seo arrived to class just in time. She was greeted by her classmates and she greeted them back before going towards an empty desk. Han Seo got her notebook and pen for note-taking when…

“Hello, sunbae…”

“Oh??” Han Seo reacted.

Han Seo’s ears tingled and it startled her. She looked to the side and saw a very beautiful woman. Han Seo wondered of the person. She thought of the card and got to know her without any introductions whatsoever.

“Oh-what…hello…?” Han Seo greeted as her hearing cringed lightly.

“Sunbae, you look so cool and pretty today…” Ha Na whispered.

Han Seo’s hearing cringed again. She tilted her heard lightly and rubbed her ears. “Hey…” She faces her junior. “…it’s okay to say something out loud.”

“I don’t want to.” Hana whispered, her hand holding Han Seo’s shoulders. “I like talking to you like this.”

Han Seo could feel her eardrums pop out of her ears. She hissed, rubbing them as she wondered of the gorgeous junior sitting next to her without leaving a wide gap.

“So…what you mean by ‘Eardrum Junior’ is that you touch people’s eardrums while speaking?” Han Seo asked.

“Ne.” Ha Na whispered again.

Han Seo felt her stapes crack. Nonetheless, she could only focus on class, just like her new junior.

+++

Time passed by too quickly and so did Han Seo’s hearing. With her days with her junior, her hearing was deteriorating. She couldn’t figure out why Ha Na only whispers and doesn’t speak out loud.

In class, Ha Na was the complicated junior. People would cringe when they talk to her because she only whispers. Second, whenever there are discussions, Ha Na barely speaks. If she does, she whispers to Han Seo and Han Seo says it out loud for the class to know. That lasted long. Students in the class would wonder of Ha Na and Han Seo’s senior-junior relationship.

After class, Han Seo was packing her stuff. She got her bag, ready to leave when Mi Rae called her to come closer. Han Seo puts her bag down and went closer.

“What is it, Mi Rae?” Han Seo asked.

Han Seo noticed Mi Rae’s look and she shook her head. Mi Rae grins.

“Come on. Let’s have barbecue night?” She suggests.

“What?” Han Seo reacted. “We still have classes at 6:00 P.M."

“After that…” Mi Rae clarifies.

“Oh yeah? Seriously though, what are we going to do after we finish?” Han Seo asked again.

“Shall we go to eat?” Mi Rae asked and Han Seo nodded. “Then we should go for barbecue night!” Mi Rae grinned again. “My hoobaes and I are going out for barbecue night. They want you to join with us."

“Sunbae, I’ll come too.” Han Seo could only grin as she hears Ha Na’s whisper again.

Han Seo wondered of the close gap and the whole whispering again. Nonetheless, she went the flow.

“Okay, okay…” She said while rubbing her nose.

“Great!” Mi Rae did a fist bump.

“What do you want to eat?” Han Seo asked.

“I want to eat ribs.” Mi Rae said.

“I want to eat pork cutlet…” Ha Na whispered.

“Okay, okay…” Han Seo nodded again.

“Then, are all three of us going?” Ha Na asked.

Han Seo cringed. She felt her eardrum just exploded and blood came out of her ear.

“Yah, Choi Han Seo, are you listening?” Mi Rae cuts Han Seo off of her daze. “Oh, hey Ha Na…"

“Sunbae, tell Mi Rae-sunbaenim I said hi.” Ha Na whispered to Han Seo.

“She said hi…” Han Seo wipes off her right ear.

“Let me wipe that for you, sunbae…” Ha Na whispered again.

Han Seo felt it and deep in her conscience, she was losing it. She even thought she would lose her hearing.

“Say…” Han Seo faced Mi Rae. “Can Ha Na come too?”

“Sure! The more the merrier!” Mi Rae agreed.

“Yay~!” Ha Na cheered on Han Seo’s ear.

Han Seo’s conscience was crying a river. Her right ear was hurting and it seems she can’t hear very well with it. Nonetheless, she would spend an evening with her junior.

+++

Han Kyul was sighing as she checks Han Seo's right ear. They were at the medical laboratory science department, inside their lab, using the devices with the department head's permission.

Han Seo was thankful both of them had little background in the scientific field. She was even more thankful that Han Kyul had potential to become an otolaryngologist.

“How is it?” Han Seo asked.

“Man…your right eardrum is in the brink of edupness.” Han Kyul said, using the otoscope. “Usually, ear defects are caused with loud and high frequency noises. Although, quietness can trigger. The case of that is rare.”

“So?” Han Seo asked.

“You need a hearing aid. You might have to ask Imonie Min Seo about it.” Han Kyul said.

“Yeah. Maybe I should…” Han Seo said.

“Of course, you should. The next time Ha Na talks to you, you’re going to be deaf in three days.”

Han Seo nodded. Han Kyul puts a little device by her auricle. Han Seo thanked her as they cleaned the place up and went out.

As they walked, they saw Ha Na. She smiled so sweetly at Han Seo and went closer to her.

“Woah.” Han Kyul stops Han Seo and sets a distance between the two.

“Sunbae, let’s have dinner together.” Ha Na whispered enough for Han Seo to hear.

“Next time, Ha Na,” said Han Seo.

Ha Na pouted. Han Seo fell into that and she was perplexed.

“Yah, Shin Ha Na. Next time, okay?” Han Kyul spoke as she pulls Han Seo so that they can go.

Han Seo was stopped when Ha Na held her hand, all while maintaining that pout. She never thought it hit her.

“Ugh, fine. I’ll eat dinner with you.” Han Seo huffed.

“And I need to go.” Han Kyul made a run for it and Han Seo could cuss of getting left behind by her cousin.

She was left with Ha Na. She was also tackled for a hug, all while she would hear her statements through those deafening whispers.

For Han Seo, it was going to be a long deafening and sickening night.

+++

Days grew longer and nights grew shorter. For Han Seo, her days and nights have been deafening.
Her times with Ha Na might have been nice. Students found Ha Na pretty and Han Seo was lucky to be her junior. Han Seo might be lucky with the close proximity of sitting with Ha Na and feeling her touches…

But no. Han Seo thought it was deafening hell. Ha Na wouldn’t stop bugging her and she never had a day without being by her senior's side. They did almost everything together and Ha Na always goes wherever Han Seo goes.

Yes, even in the bathroom.

Han Seo was peeing. The worst thing was that Ha Na came inside and she was by the side, sandwiched between the left wall and the toilet bowl like sardines in a can. Han Seo didn’t have the guts to muster embarrassment. In fact, she was utterly pissed.

“You didn’t think I’d follow you all this way, did you?” Ha Na whispered again.

Ha Na cringed onto her left ear this time. Her right ear was defective now. Han Seo could only maintain a straight face.

“Sunbae, shall I get you some toilet paper?” She whispered.

Han Seo just nodded and shooed her to get out. Ha Na obeyed and went outside to get some toilet paper. Han Seo would’ve hastily flushed and put her lower garments back on when Ha Na came back with some toilet paper.

“Thanks…” Han Seo gets some. “You know what? Why don’t you wait outside?”

Ha Na nodded. Han Seo hastily fixes herself, flushed the toilet, and went out but then again, Ha Na got to hold her arm and follow her.

Han Seo was getting pissed. She wondered when a day will come wherein Ha Na won’t disturb her.

+++

“I’m sorry what was that?” Han Seo asked

Han Kyul sighed and turned up the volume of Han Seo's hearing aid. “I said: how are you, Han Seo?”

“Oh, I’m fine…” Han Seo grinned. “…except for the part wherein my ears are ed up!”

“Damn, someone’s a hothead.” Mi Rae mumbled.

Han Seo sighed, throwing her book on the wall. “Ha Na's been bugging me with her deafening whispers. I tried running away but she kept on following me. I had to be here this time.”

“But you can’t hide forever.” Han Kyul said. “You have a class in ten minutes. Our ranks, remember?”

“Can I skip it for once?” Han Seo asked. “Even if I’m absent for a week, I can still maintain my rank.”

“Hahaha…no.” Han Kyul said back. “I’ll tell Imonie that you’ve been naughty.”

Han Seo groaned in pure agony. She got her stuff and decided to go to class, just like what Han Kyul said to her. As she walked by the hallways towards her classroom, she looked around for any signs of Ha Na.

It was peculiar that she wasn’t around but Han Seo was relieved of that. She got inside the classroom and when she got to her seat, she screamed out of nowhere, subsiding lightly as she greets her seatmate.

“Hello, sunbae.” Ha Na whispered.

Han Seo could cry of her predicament but she cannot blow a fuse now. “Hello, Ha Na.”

“Where have you been, sunbae?” Ha Na whispered again. “I’ve been looking all over campus for you.”

“Ah…resting…” Han Seo reasoned.

“Let’s go out later, sunbae.” Ha Na whispered again. “Let’s eat pork cutlet.”

“Aigoo…I have an errand to go to. Rain check, Ha Na.” Han Seo said.

“Then I’ll come with you.” She whispered again.

“It’s a personal business, Ha Na.” Han Seo said seriously. “Next time, okay?”

Ha Na kept quiet and nodded. Han Seo was relieved that it had gone quiet. The bell rang and Han Seo was ready for another class when Ha Na was interlocking her arm around hers and she leaned onto Han Seo's shoulder.

Han Seo wondered of the gesture but she just sighed, seeing the professor arrive as they have another lesson.

+++

Han Seo’s life had gone another unexpected toll with Ha Na. With Ha Na's sickening whispers, Han Seo was in the brink of deafness. Han Kyul checked her up and got two hearing devices per ear.

During classes, there was never a day without each other side by side. Han Seo would’ve bear those days for her patience but she erupts sometimes, just like what was happening to her at thia moment.

“Sunbae~” Han Seo heard her whispers again. “Sunbae, let’s eat at the restaurant again.”

“Yah, Ha Na. Next time, okay?” Han Seo batted.

“Aww~ please, sunbae~” She whispered.

“Okay, that was sick.” Han Seo commented. “Why can’t you say things a little louder?”

“I don’t want to. I want to talk to you like this.” Ha Na reasoned.

Han Seo sighed and walked quickly, making Ha Na catch up. Ha Na would hold her arm tight and continued to whisper a lot of things. And when they got to a vending machine, Han Seo could hear a ring by her head.

“Sunbae, you want a soda?” Ha Na asked so softly.

“No thanks, Ha Na. I’m not thirsty.” Han Seo answered.

“I insist, sunbae. Shall I get you this green tea?” She asked again.

That was the last straw. Han Seo could even cringe. She loathed drinking tea.

“Get lost for a moment, will you?” Han Seo almost slaps her from the back.

“Ne.” Ha Na nodded hastily that she ran off.

Han Seo gasped as Ha Na left. Han Seo would’ve felt guilty but as of now, she was relieved. Han Seo sighed and decided to go back and start a time without any disturbance.

+++

Evening came and Han Seo and Ha Na didn’t see each other. For now, Han Seo was at her room, studying. She was flipping her book on System Analysis and Design when a knock was at the door.

“Han Seo, can you get that?” Han Kyul asked as she was so stuck onto reading her book.

Han Seo nodded and went to greet some unexpected visitors at her door. She gasped as she opened it. “Yes?"

“Han Seo-sunbaenim, we're Ha Na's roommates.” One of them spoke. “Mi Rae-sunbaenim told us where your room is. That’s why we came here,” said the other.

“We came to ask you where she is. It’s already past curfew and she hasn’t returned.” The first one spoke again.

Han Seo wouldn’t care much for Ha Na but the latter couldn’t help but worry. And besides, Ha Na is her junior. She realizes that the girl is her junior and that as her senior, she must be responsible.

“I don’t know either but don’t worry, I’ll find her.” Han Seo said. “As for you two, it’s late. You need to get some sleep.”

The two nodded and went back to their room. Han Seo jolted up, thinking of any place the two of them went to. Han Kyul could only watch then toss a jacket at Han Seo.

“She usually invites you to dinner, right?” She spoke.

“Joo Han Kyul, you're a mothering genius.” Han Seo as she got out.

“Hey!” Han Kyul yelled. “Bring pork cutlet when you get back!”

“Whatever!” Han Seo said back and left.

+++

Han Seo prayed so hard, hoping that Ha Na is where she wants her to be. She ran as fast as she could and got to the place.

It was a restaurant, serving the best pork cutlet in the neighborhood. It was the place where she and Ha Na would eat. It brought Han Seo a lot of good memories with her deafening junior and she gulped as she got inside.

“Han Seo-ya~” The clerk greeted.

“Ahjumma, annyeonghaseyo.” Han Seo bowed. “Is she around here?”

“Ha Na's at the back, eating alone. I thought you were eating together.” She said.

“Mind me. I got busy.” Han Seo said.

“Aigoo…go join her now. She’s been so lonely.” The clerk said.

Han Seo's heart clenched of hearing that. She hastily went to the back and found Ha Na eating pork cutlet all by herself. Han Seo wad relieved she was safe and all but her heart broke of seeing her eat alone. She even cussed at herself. She should’ve just joined her.

Han Seo sat next to Ha Na. “Hey.”

“Sunbae~” She cheered softly and hugged Han Seo tight.

Han Seo hugged her junior back. “Why did you come here and not come back to the university right away? Your roommates were so worried.”

“I want to eat here.” Ha Na whispered. “I thought of something for too long I lost time.”

“You made me worry, you know.” Han Seo said as she ate. “And it’s past curfew.”

“Can we eat together, sunbae?” Ha Na whispered.

Han Seo nodded. The inevitability of going home was there since it was curfew but Han Seo decided to enjoy and have a great date with her junior.

+++

After eating, Ha Na and Han Seo did other stuff in the night out of town and when dawn came, they decided to go back to their university, holding hands while walking.

“This was the best date ever, sunbae.” Ha Na whispers again.

“That’s right, Ha Na.” Han Seo agreed. “Come on. Let’s go back to our rooms.”

Ha Na nodded and they made their way to the university dorm. As they walked by the hallways, Han Seo saw Han Kyul. And by the looks of her disheveled hair and droopy eyes, she was waiting for so long.

“Where in God’s name did He take the both of you?! I had to wait for you to return!” Han Kyul flipped out. “And where's my pork cutlet?!”

“Calm down, cousin.” Han Seo said and gave her a pack. “It’s the weekend. We’ll sleep the whole day.” Han Seo reasoned.

“So how's the date?” Han Kyul grinned.

“Don’t ask again. Now keep that in the fridge and go to bed.” Han Seo said, pointing to the door of their room.

Han Kyul nodded and got in. For Han Seo, she decided to Ha Na to her room. As they got to the door, Ha Na faced Han Seo.

“Thanks for being with me, sunbae.” Ha Na whispered.

Han Seo could only nod. She was about to go when Ha Na pulled her and she got a peck on the lips. Ha Na then hugged her senior tight, a cheek pressing onto Han Seo's as Ha Na whispers.

“I love you, sunbae. See you this Monday.”

Ha Na got inside her room. Han Seo could only walk back to her room, rubbing her ear while a blush was plastered on her face.

Being Ha Na's senior took a toll on another month within the promo but for her, those deafening days turned out to be the best days of her life.

===