Qingdao Lamb Skewers

Telecom Juniors

===

“Yah, Choi Han Seo.”

“What is it this time?” Han Seo asked as she rolled over her bed.

“You haven’t been going around campus. Are you okay?” Han Kyul asked her.

“I’m just tired.” Han Seo sighed and turned away. “If you mind, I need to get some sleep.”

Han Kyul nodded and went out to chill. Sometimes, Han Seo making excuses was unexpected but lately, she had gone sad.

After Hye Yeon's time was up, Han Seo went back to her usual lonely life. It would’ve been expected but the longing feeling made Han Seo cringe for the first time. Somehow, all the times she spent with various juniors in the promo made her conclude that she didn’t want all times with them to be temporary. She wanted them to last.

“…this again…” Han Seo mumbled of that longing feeling and decided to sleep it off.

+++

It was almost the end of the year and Han Seo was in the canteen. There were new juniors who came in and admired Han Seo but other juniors taunt them that Han Seo wasn’t a easy person to get close to so Han Seo was left alone.

Usually, she hated eating at the university canteen but she gave it a try. In the end, she went to her favorite convenience store and got her favorite drink. She scurried her hands inside her bag and her hands came across with the box of cards.

“Here we go again…” Han Seo sighed and opened it.

She placed Hye Yeon's card on the slot next to Mi Mi's and noticed that there were only three cards left. Somehow, the cards had the same design. Han Seo looked at a particular one and saw a description.

“A Girl Like Me series. Three special cards will pertain special girls that will match the characteristics of the participants…you kidding?” Han Seo spoke and looked at the card she got. “Liu Xie Ning, Emotional Junior.”

She got a glimpse of the girl on the card and she didn’t look Korean. Han Seo thought it was a woman like her, a Korean with a bit of Chinese blood.

“Like an epitome of the aspect of emotional personality? Hmm…almost a trait I have when I do broadcasting…” Han Seo mumbled.

Then again, Han Seo thought about it. Her hands went involuntary as she got her phone and typed the said instructions. After that, she thought it was a big mistake that had been done. There was no turning back.

“Okay…I think I need to go.” Han Seo mumbled and decided to get her drink and go back to school.

+++

Han Seo was on her shift as a broadcaster on the school's radio station and she loved doing it. She did heartful talks, made jokes, and even sang and rapped live. Han Seo was onto an interview when she heard an identical voice. Listeners who called were wondering of the extra voice that Han Seo had to take a long break through a long playlist.

Han Seo looked at the door to see Mi Rae. Han Seo got out and met her and what shocked her was that she was with a familiar woman.

"Ni hao." The woman greeted. "I'm Liu Xie Ning. Nice to meet you, Han Seo-sunbaenim."

"Another junior from your promo, Han Seo." Mi Rae spoke. "I guided her here since was looking for you."

"I see." Han Seo said. "Were you the one speaking?"

Xie Ning nodded and Han Seo was internally shocked. The voice was the same feel and released emotions as hers. 

A Girl Like Me, huh?

"I'm still on my shift. Mi Rae, just take her to her room-"

"I already did, Han Seo. But Xie Ning was really looking for you. I had no other choice."

Han Seo sighed and agreed to take accountability of Xie Ning. The timid Chinese junior went with Han Seo inside the broadcasting studio and lets her sit next to her.

"Don't worry. The playlist will last long." Han Seo said. "That should give us some time to get to know each other."

"That's not necessary, sunbae. We're almost similar. I'm just like you. I have Chinese blood and I have a pleasing personality and love broadcasting." Xie Ning said.

"I see that." Han Seo mumbled. "I'll be having a graveyard shift. It might take a while."

"It's okay, sunbae. I want to stay here and be with you." Xie Ning said.

It sounded platonic to Han Seo. She was sure it was going to be temporary like before. But just as how her mother dealt with her eleven aunts, she was going to do the same towards her juniors, especially towards Xie Ning.

+++

Han Seo was in her class in Literature when a resonation was heard throughout the campus. Then, they heard a familiar voice.

"Was that from the broadcasting studio?" Jeong Mi asked.

"Weird. The voice resembles Han Seo's," said Mi Rae.

"It's a run-up for the audition of new recruits for the broadcasting team. Han Kyul was excused from her class to take charge of the audition." Han Seo clarified.

Everyone managed to listen and most of them were really impressed of Xie Ning's skills. For others, they couldn't believe that it was Han Seo's junior and that her voice resembled Han Seo's.

"That's not a recording, Han Seo?" Mi Rae asked again. "Mind me for asking. It's just that she sounds like you."

"Heol..." Jeong Mi reacted as she got a text. "Some of my juniors were wondering if you took another shift in the broadcasting studio."

Han Seo thought the students' speculations were preposterous. How could they get freaked out of an identical voice? Why do others feel such discomfort of hearing another's identical voice?

And besides, how bad can it be?

+++

"Alright. That's a wrap-up. Thanks for your time, everyone."

The recruits applauded and bowed. Most of them left but for Xie Ning, she went timid and looked at the door as she was still on her place.

"Waiting for my cousin, Xie Ning?" Han Kyul asked.

"Ne, sunbaenim. I heard that it's her shift later." Xie Ning said.

"It's still afternoon, Xie Ning. Hers is the graveyard shift. Why don't you go back to your classes and see her later?"

Xie Ning thought it was a good idea. She bowed at Han Kyul and went. Seeing the time, she decided to have some lunch at a convenience store.

Picking a lot of dinsum, Xie Ning got herself a tray of food. She got to her seat when she saw a familiar person by a table all alone. She decided to sit there.

"Oh, Xie Ning." It was Han Seo herself.

"Annyeonghaseyo, sunbaenim." Xie Ning bowed. "Mind if I eat with you?"

"What kind of a question is that? Of course, you can. You're my junior." Han Seo answered. "You ordered spicy noodles with mala sauce?"

"Yes. It's my favorite meal. I also got some dinsum." Xie Ning said and showed her tray.

"Heol...we have exactly the same order, Xie Ning. One of the odds." Han Seo showed her messy tray by the side.

Xie Ning chuckled and continued to eat. Just as Xie Ning was finished with her noodles and started with her dinsum, Han Seo got a glimpse and almost jumped off of her seat.

They were eating at the same time...with almost the same gesture. 

"Sunbaenim, are you okay?" Xie Ning asked.

Even the voice ran on Han Seo's senses like a future doppelganger was in front of her. She gulped down and assured her junior. "Ah...nothing. Come on. Eat."

Xie Ning obeyed. Han Seo joined her and she couldn't help her curiosity towards her Chinese junior.

+++

This has been Choi Han Seo. Good night, folks.

"And that's a wrap-up, cousin!" Han Kyul spoke through the other side.

Han Seo did a thumbs-up and got out of the recording room. Xie Ning managed to witness her senior and her broadcasting shift and applauded. 

"That was wonderful, sunbaenim." Xie Ning smiled.

"Thanks." Han Seo said. "It's your shift for tonight?"

Xie Ning shook her head and Han Seo gasped of her patience. She was on her shift from 3 PM up to 11PM and Xie Ning managed to wait that long.

"You should've let her go back home, Han Kyul." Han Seo said.

"I tried, cousin. But she really wanted to wait and witness you." Han Kyul said.

"Her home is far from here and she doesn't board here in the university." Han Seo sighed. 

"She can stay in our room, you know." Han Kyul suggested. "Remember the room Mi Mi and Hye Yeon managed to stay into? It was left untouched."

"Okay." Han Seo nodded then faced Xie Ning. "You can stay at our room for the night. Will it be okay?"

Xie Ning was excited as she nodded and hugged Han Seo. Han Kyul smirked and cooed as she went ahead to get the room ready. Han Seo chuckled and hugged back.

"Let's go?" Han Seo broke and lent a hand.

Xie Ning nodded and held back and the two of them went to the room together.

+++

Xie Ning was comfortable with the room that she ended up laying down instantly. Han Seo got some clothes for her, placing them by the table.

"You can't sleep in your casual clothes. You can change in these for comfort." Han Seo said. "And I'll be turning early now so...good night, Xie Ning."

Xie Ning went to hug Han Seo as a sign of thanks. A peck on the cheek then became unexpected for Han Seo. 

"Thank you, sunbaenim. Good night." Xie Ning smiled. 

Han Seo nodded and got out of the room, cloaing the door. Xie Ning looked around as she loved the room. She got the clothes and changed onto them before laying back down on the bed. 

She gave the clothes she wore a whiff and they smelled of Han Seo. It sent a thump on Xie Ning's chest. It was a sign to why she always loved Han Seo's company, especially on the times that she would wait and witness Han Seo as she does her shift for broadcasting.

She was really emotional, feeling passion towards the same interest Han Seo has and was emotional in love too. And now, she was starting to emotionally fall for her senior.

+++

A beep from the alarm clock woke up Han Seo and she managed to stop the alarm. She groaned but froze as she heard another one like hers. She even felt a heavy weight by her left side. 

"Cousin!" She heard Han Kyul and saw her up, pointing at her. "What is Xie Ning doing on your bed?!"

Han Seo looked to her left side and Xie Ning was groaning and was hugging her tight in her sleep. Han Kyul averted her gaze and got up to eat as Han Seo remained lying down her bed with Xie Ning cuddling towards her.

Han Seo was fazed in a way she can never explain, all the while she was feeling something by her chest. She adjusted Xie Ning's strands since they were blocking her face. After that, she got her hand off and looked away.

"Sunbae?"

Han Seo looked back as Xie Ning was awake. She didn't react nor apologize for the intrusion. Instead, she reached a hand by Han Seo's cheek. Han Seo was even more shocked. "Xie Ning..."

Xie Ning smiled and Han Seo was smiling too. She felt a caress and gulped when Xie Ning inched closer. Han Seo felt her chest was on fire as she felt a peck then the heavy weight again. Xie Ning cuddled onto Han Seo again.

Han Seo and decided not to disturb her junior.

+++

After the incident, Xie Ning managed to go home. Han Seo and Han Kyul were studying and talked once they had their breaks.

"What was that all about?" Han Kyul asked. "Xie Ning got all cuddly."

"I don't know either. I couldn't believe it and I couldn't disturb her. She slept so peacefully." Han Seo said.

"But let me warn you." Han Kyul grew serious. "She might fool the university soon. She's like you within a Chinese blonde, Han Seo."

"Han Kyul, why are you saying such things?" Han Seo asked. "Writing got the best of you, huh?"

"Yeah. But who knows, cousin? Better be safe than sorry, right?" Han Kyul said.

Han Seo couldn't argue and nodded. It won't harm her to be aware, right?

+++

Thank you. This is Qingdao, reporting.

"Cut." Han Kyul cued.

Xie Ning was done with her news reporting as the playlist of songs was played. She got out and Han Kyul gave her some critiques, just in time for Han Seo to arrive for her shift.

"Sunbae~" Xie Ning went to greet and hug her senior.

Han Seo hugged her back and Han Kyul took a picture of the moment. Han Seo froze and wondered of it. 

"I'm sending it to Imonie and Mama." Han Kyul winked.

Han Kyul then gasped as she checked her phone. Han Seo wondered. Han Kyul's face grew dim.

"Han Seo..." Han Kyul began. "...Imonie Min Seo got admitted in the hospital again."

Xie Ning felt something bad as Han Seo lets go. She ended up leaving the studio that Han Kyul and Xie Ning went after her.

+++

"What are you kids doing here?" Se Jeong spoke as she saw them.

"Imonie...Mama..." Han Seo mumbled.

Han Seo saw her Imonie Kyul Kyung run and went to follow her. Se Jeong went after her again until Han Seo froze. They saw her looking at the glass and they saw it too.

Inside the emergency room was Min Seo, battling for her life. Her body heaved as it was given a little shock. Kyul Kyung and Se Jeong shared their hugs and patted Han Seo's back. Han Kyul and Xie Ning held her hands. Han Seo just stood still, tears running down her face. 

"Miss Han Seo?" The doctor got out.

Han Seo was unmoved as Se Jeong and Kyul Kyung decided to talk with her. "Doctor...how's our sister?"

"She almost gave in, Miss Kim, Miss Joo. But thank God she got some strength back. She needs some rest. You may see her now."

The two adults thanked her as Han Seo rushed by her mother's side, holding her hand and crying silently. Xie Ning was by her back, hugging her for comfort. 

"I'm sorry, cousin. I would've kept this as a secret." Han Kyul spoke.

"Why?" Han Seo asked.

"Imonie Min Seo never wanted you to worry." Han Kyul said.

"But I'm her daughter. She can't be the only one to be there for me forever. I need to be by her side too." Han Seo reasoned.

"I told her to do so, Han Seo-ya..." Kyul Kyung confessed.

Han Seo couldn't get mad. She just nodded and held Min Seo's hand. Her two aunts then greeted Xie Ning. "Your junior, Han Seo?"

"Ne." Han Seo lets go and held Xie Ning's hand. "Imonies...this is Xie Ning."

"Ni hao." Xie Ning bowed.

"Nice to meet you, Xie Ning." Kyul Kyung and Se Jeong smiled.

Han Seo could smile of the interaction but her worry for Min Seo didn't fade. She just sat and Xie Ning stayed with her.

+++

Despite of staying, the kids had to go back to school. Han Kyul kept on apologizing for the mishap and Han Seo accepted it. They got by a bus stop when Han Seo held Xie Ning's hand.

"I think we'll be off to eat somewhere before going back home. Want to join us, Han Kyul?" Han Seo spoke.

"I'll pass." Han Kyul said. "I have a thesis to finish and besides...I can't be a third wheel."

Xie Ning chuckled of that as Han Seo reacted, just in time for Han Kyul to get on the bus. The two waved goodbye and Xie Ning asked. "Where are we going, sunbae?"

"Hmm...let's eat lamb skewers." Han Seo said.

+++

They got themselves to a Chinese restaurant and ordered dinsum and lamb skewers. Han Seo even added buying a Chinese alcoholic drink that she liked.

"Omo-it's my favorite too, sunbaenim." Xie Ning shared.

"What can I expect? You're a girl like me." Han Seo commented and they chuckled.

Not long after, their meal and bottle of alcohol came. They said grace and ate, all while Xie Ning decided to talk to her senior. "Sunbae, you must really love you mother, right?"

Han Seo stopped and nodded, finishing her firsr skewer. "Yes. She means the whole world to me...even if we're not biologically related."

"Huh? She's not..." Xie Ning couldn't continue.

"She's not, Xie Ning." Han Seo said. "I was abandoned as a baby and she found me and raised me, together with my eleven aunts. She told me beforehand, just as I reached ten. I didn't mind because even if nonw of us were related, they ltook care of me and loved me. That's the only thing that matters to me."

"Same with Han Kyul-sunbaenim?" Xie Ning asked.

"Her father was a fool abandoning Imonie Kyul Kyung and her. Min Seo always welcomed them back even if Imonie Kyul Kyung made a mistake of sticking to such an idiot." Han Seo said as she poured glasses for the two of them.

"Hmmm...I heard that you and my fellow students Se Jeong and Mi Na are cousins." Xie Ning added as she drank.

"Oh, you know them?" Han Seo asked back.

"A bit. Your aunt from earlier was just like Se Jeong, even with the same name." Xie Ning spoke.

"I see." Han Seo said and they resumed eating.

Xie Ning grabbed the bottle and did a skit that Han Seo could almost spit her skewer and reacted. "Heol...that was just...you got his skit right, hahahaha!"

Xie Ning was happy she made her senior smile. She reckoned that with thw incident earlier, her aenior deserved to be cheered up. Nonetheless, they ate again and talked and chuckled throughout the night.

+++

"That's quite a date you got there." Han Kyul said as she opened the door.

"She ate and drank too much." Han Seo panted as she went inside and carried Xie Ning up.

Han Kyul opened the door to the spare room and Han Seo got in and switched on the lights. She placed Xie Ning on the bed when Xie Ning pulled her down. Han Seo managed to hold her weight as Xie Ning muttered in Chinese.

Han Seo could flip out of this predicament, albeit thankful that Xie Ning didn't puke herself as she got drunk. Han Seo got herself off.

"Wo ai ni...qianbei, wo ai ni..."

Han Seo froze of those words. But knowing that this promo was temporary, she couldn't cling onto that again.

+++

It was early morning and Han Seo got up. She decided to go and check on Xie Ning after what had happened yesterday. She got to the door, knocking while stifling a yawn.

"Come in, qianbei." 

Han Seo opened the door and stumbled of what she saw. The other person stumbled like her.

"Yah!! How are you dressed like that?" Han Seo asked, even more shocked that she repeated exactly what she said with perfect timing.

Xie Ning chuckled this time and Han Seo sighed. "I decided to change onto these, qianbei."

"How was your sleep?" Han Seo asked.

"Heavenly." Xie Ning smiled. "I dreamt of you, qianbei."

"I'm flattered." Han Seo uttered. "Anyways, I need to go and get ready for school."

"I'll join you, qianbei." Xie Ning spoke.

"Your classes begin at noon. I'm off early to settle matters." Han Seo said. "Maybe you should rest for a bit."

Xie Ning agreed and hugged Han Seo, adding a kiss on the cheek before she went back to her room. Han Seo sighed of such a morning, witnessing Xie Ning wear and talk like her. 

+++

Han Seo walked around and went inside the classroom to be greeted by cheers from Mi Rae and Jeong Mi. Han Seo wonderes of the ocassion as Mi Rae showed a flyer. "I'm excited for this!"

"What's that?" Han Seo asked.

"Heol, you're getting a radical. It's your flyer for a party later." Jeong Mi said.

Han Seo was shocked and got a look and read. "Han Seo's Best Party? Now wait a second, I didn't make this flyer!"

"Stop bluffing. It's your penmanship, Han Seo. Now don't act like you don't know. Everyone is excited to come! What a great way to get new juniors, I must say."

Han Seo stormed out and went to look for someone. Han Kyul managed to see her and they showed the same flyer.

"Where did you get that?" Han Seo asked.

"From my junior. Xie Ning is doing this, aish..." Han Kyul cussed. "...just as I suspected."

"It's too shocking. I refuse to let the school be fooled!" Han Seo spoke. 

"I knew you wouldn't do this. Xie Ning may have gotten your penmanship but not your skills in editing." Han Kyul spoke. "Han Seo, I warned you..."

"I know. I'm sorry...but you need to help me with this."

+++

The two cousins got to the party and just as predicted, Xie Ning was responsible for fooling the rest of the students. They decided to walk closer, with the students stopping because of an impostor, not knowing it was Han Seo herself.

Xie Ning was dancing with her fellow juniors. But seeing the rest of them stop and the music was turned off, she stopped and saw Han Seo.

"Qianbei-"

"You're not me." Han Seo spoke coldly, getting rid of the black wig. "You're just some junior from a promo acting like me."

The students were shocked and mumbled towards each other. Xie Ning walked away crying as Han Seo spoke. "I apologize for a misunderstanding everyone. The impostor's gone...but just continue to party."

Who was Han Seo to wreck their fun? They cheered and continued, even Han Kyul joined. But she knew she had hurt Xie Ning. She ran out to look for her and saw her crying on the corner. Han Seo felt like a idiot and called her as she got closer.

"Qianbei..."

"I'm sorry to speak so harshly to you. I know you didn't mean to." Han Seo spoke and wiped her tears off. "But you're a wonderful person so...why not just be you?"

"But I wanted to be cool...like you..." Xie Ning sniffled. "And I wanted you to like me..."

"Xie Ning..." Han Seo was stunned then reacted with a hug. "Xie Ning, I like you for who you are. You don't have to act like me to get my attention. I like you as the emotional junior that you are."

"Really?" Xie Ning asked.

"Really." Han Seo said. "Now don't cry..."

Xie Ning did and hugged Han Seo. Han Seo hugged back, also realizing the inevitability of this whole promo.

===