Precoccious Doll

Telecom Juniors

Han Seo couldn’t see but she could hear resonation of her hearing, a sickening beep that made her hearing cringe. She shook out of it relentlessly until someone had to calm her down.

“Han Seo?”

Han Seo's eyes opened as she saw her mother, together with her aunts Se Jeong and Mi Na. Han Seo was utterly confused when Mi Na pecked her niece’s forehead.

“Imonie, where am I?” Han Seo asked.

Just then, Kyul Kyung and Han Kyul came. Kyul Kyung got to hug Min Seo and Han Seo, and her sisters. Han Kyul got to greet everyone, even Han Seo.

“You told them?” Han Seo asked.

“I had to, cousin. You couldn’t hear me anymore.” Han Kyul said.

“I passed out?” Han Seo asked again.

“Having bad hearing can lose your sense of balance. You stumbled yourself. And with fatigue as an addition, you were knocked out.” Han Kyul answered. “And now, you’ve woken up. You just finished with surgery on both ears three days ago.”

Han Seo puts a palm on both ears. Min Seo went closer and slapped Han Seo’s hands lightly, making her aunts and cousin chuckle.

“I heard from Han Kyul that it’s because of a junior in school. Who did that?” Min Seo asked.

“Ma, it’s a characteristic I can’t avoid. I had to adjust. I was the only close friend she had.” Han Seo reasoned.

Min Seo couldn’t get mad at her daughter for that reason. Min Seo went closer and pecked her forehead, getting coos of adoration from her cousin and aunts.

“That’s for being so caring.” Min Seo added a slap by her back. “And that’s for risking your health. Don’t do something reckless again.”

Han Seo could only nod and obey. She got hugs and kisses from her family and she felt thankful for their presences and the fact that she got her hearing back.

+++

With her hearing back on track, Han Seo got back to her excellent academic life. She was still the top student and the lonely one at that. Ha Na was out of the program before Han Seo knocked out from losing her hearing. She was at her favorite convenience store, doing the usual routine of drinking and looking at the cards. Han Seo sighed and puts Ha Na's card quite forcibly due to another side effect: bleeding ears. Nonetheless, she got a new card.

“Jung Mi Mi, Doll-like Junior.” Han Seo mumbled then she flipped out lightly. “Okay, one more time. I’ll believe one more time that this junior is not a person but some doll. It says ‘doll-like’ so it must be a doll.”

Han Seo drank then chuckled bitterly. Han Seo did the usual instructions ad continued to drink while waiting for class.

+++

Han Seo would’ve had a normal setting in class but somehow, it wasn’t.

“Yah, Han Seo. We got a new classmate. She’s been posing like a mannequin since a delivery guy carried her in.” Mi Rae went to her as she said that.

“I asked Professor about it before she went to pee and she said that the doll is part of the list of students in this class.” Jeong Mi added. “This is deep .”

“Uh-huh…” Han Seo could only mumble as she sat next to a vacant seat where she usually sits.

Han Seo was dammed. The three of them went to their seats as Han Seo saw the doll. She could only face-palm and laugh of the woman’s stature. Her junior really was a doll. The Professor came as she checks the attendance. Han Seo was second to the last to be called then her seatmate.

“Haha…no …” Han Seo mumbled. “I got a doll for a junior haha, a real doll just came…”

“Jung Mi Mi?” She called but there was no response. “Mi Mi?”

“Uh, she’s here, Professor.” Han Seo spoke for her.

Han Seo was dammed again. Their Professor couldn’t hear sometimes. Han Seo sighed and just raised Mimi's hand. “Here.”

“Lower your hand.” Han Seo chuckled again.

“Made you blink!!” Han Seo attempted to scare her off.

Han Seo just laughed it off because it’s just too impossible to believe. Han Seo might have everyone's eyes on her but she wanted to prove for herself that Mi Mi was just acting.

“Pretending that you’re a doll, huh?” Han Seo opens a bottle of water. “Here. I’ll give you some water.”

Han Seo pours it by but it dripped out of Mi Mi’s mouth. Han Seo would’ve thought her little stunt was impressive.

“You’re trying, you’re really trying. But do you really think you’re a doll?” Han Seo got restless.

Han Seo grabbed Mimi's head and rotated it. Han Seo gasped as she managed to turn Mimi’s head around. As she got Mimi's head back into place, Han Seo cringed.

“Enough of such observations, Miss Choi.” The Professor spoke. “Let start the lesson.”

Han Seo could only obey and listen all throughout the lesson.

+++

The squad of three remained on their classroom as they gather around the life-sized doll. Han Seo was pacing around as she called for the person-in-charge of the telecom promo.

“So?” Jeong Mi asked as Han Seo hung up.

“It seems that the telecom company added twists on the said promo. Four of them appear to be normal with unique characteristics whereas there’s also two of them who happened to be extraordinary. Mi Mi is one of the two.” Han Seo explained.

“Weird. How could you even interact with this junior?” Mi Rae asked.

“I know, right?” Han Seo mumbled. “But we can’t just leave her here.”

Jeong Mi and Mi Rae made a run for it and Han Seo cussed. Han Seo sighed and carried the doll properly. Han Seo pressed a button by the back and she felt arms wrapped around her, making her flip out for a moment. Han Seo could only gaze at the doll as she began to move. Han Seo watched her eyes move to look at her and the doll plastered a smile.

“Sunbae, annyeong~” Mi Mi spoke in a robotic voice.

“What the-hello?” Han Seo stood and greeted. “So you’re a robotic doll?”

Mi Mi nodded and she glitched. Han Seo remembered the water she poured by that she went to turn her off. Mi Mi was motionless again as Han Seo decided to carry her and fix her.

+++

“She can talk?!” Han Kyul gasped.

“Yes.” Han Seo said as she got rid of a wet microchip by her jaw. “I just need to put this on uncooked rice and put it back again.”

“So she’s like a robotic doll? Interesting.” Han Kyul said as she got a good look.

“I also heard she doesn’t have a room here in the dormitory so I’ll let her stay here. She won’t have to use a bed. She’s a doll after all.” Han Seo answered.

“Okay. Just don’t mess up my turf.” Han Kyul said.

“Noted.” Han Seo replied.

+++

Days passed. Han Seo's time with her junior was more on fixing her up than a usual hangout. They still did the academic work as Han Seo worked out the bugs of Mi Mi's system to fix her up. She puts her microchip back into the compartment by her jaw and turned her on.

“Sunbae, how long was I out?” Mi Mi asked directly.

“A week. Don’t worry about school. I took care of your deliverables.” Han Seo said.

Mi Mi could only nod. Han Seo decided to go and get something to drink when she felt a breeze and there was Mi Mi, holding her favorite drink. Han Seo had agape.

“Your favorite, sunbae.” Mi Mi said as she opened the cap and gave it to her senior.

“Uhh-thank you…” Han Seo spoke as she drank.

Mi Mi then scans Han Seo's part of the room, flexing her plastic limbs as she cleaned the place up at a fast rate. Han Seo wowed as Mi Mi finished and made lunch good for Han Seo and her roommates.

“Done.” Mi Mi grinned. “Eat some, sunbae.”

“Something smells delicious~” Mi Rae spoke as she and Jeong Mi arrived.

“Yay~ just in time for lunch~” Jeong Mi added as the two of them went to the table and ate.

“Yah! Save some for me and Han Kyul! Thank Mi Mi for that too.” Han Seo said.

“The robotic doll did all this?” Mi Rae asked.

“I think it’s part of the engineering . I still need to check on her.” Han Seo answered.

“Sunbae.” Mimi came as she got a huge bowl of bibimbap. “I made this for you.”

Han Seo thanked and puts it by her spot, slapping Mi Rae and Jeong Mi's hands to stop them from taking some. Han Seo went back to Mimi and checked on her.

“No more glitches?” Han Seo asked and Mi Mi nodded. "Okay. Why don’t you go to my workstation and charge yourself up?”

Mi Mi obeyed and went. Han Seo went to the dining table and had a wonderful lunch. Han Kyul arrived and joined them to eat.

“So Mi Mi cooked?” Han Kyul asked as she ate some meat.

“Yes. She also cleaned my part of the room.” Han Seo answered.

The three reacted. Han Seo could only laugh and eat as she grew curious of Mi Mi. With her time with her, Han Seo plans to discover more of her robotic doll junior.

+++

Han Seo and Mi Mi were always together during class and Mi Mi had her own part of room thanks to Han Seo and Han Kyul. The two worked together in keeping another space, almost having an ambiance of a lab and a flimsy house like in those Barbie movies. Han Seo would’ve just turned Mi Mi off like a robot but she wanted to let her live the human lifestyle. Han Seo kept check on Mi Mi from glitches to her plastic structure. Han Seo maintained her circuits and even molded plastic to maintain Mi Mi's youthful look. Despite of being an object with no feelings, Mi Mi somehow gained her own information of love in another part of her database. That love was for Han Seo and Han Seo only. Han Seo was watching a comedy show when Mi Mi sat next to her.

“Sunbae, I got the bathtub ready for you.” Mi Mi said.

Han Seo reacted and saw Mi Mi’s hands all wet. Han Seo grabbed her and fixed her forearms in Mi Mi's room, checking it for glitches.

“Mi Mi, you can’t touch water. You’ll glitch.” Han Seo sighed. “I’ll take care of waterworks next time, okay?”

“Ne. Sorry, sunbae…” Mi Mi pouted. “Do you have any more requests?”

“No. Why don’t you rest?” Han Seo spoke.

“Okay.” Mi Mi said and hugged Han Seo tight. “Good night, sunbae.”

Han Seo smiled lightly and hugged Mi Mi back. “Good night, Mi Mi.”

Han Seo left Mi Mi in her room and boy, was Han Seo so happy. "Wohoo! I thought Mimi would be a still doll but I have me an angel, haha!”

Han Seo continued to watch and she had that smiling face all throughout the evening.

+++

Days would pass and Han Seo and Mi Mi were together everyday. For Mi Mi, she lived the usual lifestyle but it was still restricted due to the fact that she was a robotic doll. Nonetheless, she did anything for Han Seo from reminding her of academics to ironing Han Seo’s. For Han Seo, she lets Mi Mi have the freedom to do whatever she wanted and she was living the dream of only focusing on her studies.

“Wow…” Han Seo reacted as she watched Mi Mi patch up her torn jacket. “…you know how to sew?”

“I can do almost everything for you, sunbae.” Mi Mi winked.

Han Seo was flattered and fascinated with Mi Mi. Han Seo got the remote connected to Mi Mi's switch and turned her off. Han Seo nodded as her device worked. She turns Mi Mi back on to see her crying oil. Han Seo reacted and wiped her tears away.

“Mi Mi, what’s wrong-“ She was stopped by a tight hug.

“Sunbae…don’t turn me off. I don’t want to go back in the dark again…please, sunbae…” Mi Mi cried.

She was fascinated even more of Mi Mi's emotional aspect. But then, she felt bad for turning Mi Mi off.
“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to do that. I had to try the remote. Damn, you even cry oil.” Han Seo got a cloth and wiped the oil off of Mi Mi's beautiful face. “I won’t do it again.”

Mi Mi trusted her senior and hugged her again. Then, she asks. “Sunbae, can I also do anything I like?”

“Of course. I know you do almost anything I say but I also give you freedom.” Han Seo answered.

“So…can I try my emotional aspect on you?” Mi Mi asked.

“Okay…” Han Seo nodded.

Mi Mi and Han Seo sat on the couch as Han Seo wondered of the said experiment. Mi Mi could only pout as she poked her chest.

“Sunbae, why do I feel a thump?” Mi Mi asked.

"You’re a special kind of robotic doll. You somehow respond to human emotions, almost like a real human. To answer your question, the heart pumps when a person feels something towards a person.” Han Seo answered.

“So…I feel something towards you, sunbae?” Mi Mi asked as she looked at Han Seo. “…because I feel it with you.”

“I’m flattered, Mi Mi.” Han Seo mumbled.

“Sunbae, can you take your glasses off?” Mi Mi asked as she nodded.

Han Seo didn’t hesitate as her glasses were off. Having myopia and astigmatism, Han Seo’s vision was so blurry. But still, she pictured out Mi Mi a bit.

“You’re so beautiful, sunbae.” Mi Mi spoke. “And the thump in my chest is getting louder and faster just by looking at you.”

“Yah, Jung Mi Mi…” Han Seo froze when she felt hands by her face.

“I think I’m in love with you, sunbae~” Mi Mi spoke, her eyes showing cute hearts.

Han Seo couldn’t get any more flattered as Mi Mi kissed her. Han Seo was so shocked that she got the remote and turned Mi Mi off again. Han Seo got herself off and adjusted Mi Mi’s limbs. She had to contemplate everything for a moment and would turn her on later. Han Seo sighed. She’ll deal with a crying robotic doll again.

+++

It was evening and Han Seo was facing her PC with Han Kyul. On the screen, there was I.O.I and Min Seo, communicating with the Han duo via Skype.

“Having another junior in your hands, Han Seo-ya?” Min Seo asked.

“Is she responsible?” Na Young asked.

“Is she influential like your Imonie Se Jeong?” Chung Ha asked too.

“Hey!” Se Jeong reacted. “I bet she’s as wonderful as my baby Se Jeong.”

“Yeah. Turns out she almost broke our baby Han Seo’s bones. You’re just like your daughter, Se Jeong. You even almost broke my hand from holding it too much.” Chae Yeon spat.

“Ma, turns out Han Seo’s junior is a robotic doll…and that doll is in love with Cousin here.” Han Kyul spoke.

“Omo-our Han Seo and Han Kyul are just irrresistable, just like us.” Kyul Kyung pecked Min Seo’s cheek.

The dongsaeng line of I.O.I reacted as the Han cousins laughed.

“As long as Han Seo is doing well with her junior, it’s fine by me.” Min Seo said.

“But Unnie, Han Seo should be protected.” So Hye said.

“Penguin’s right. She should pass our standards.” Yeon Jung said.

“Yeon Jung, it’s a robotic doll. What can it not do?” Yoo Jung batted.

“All the same. Unnie…” Mi Na cuddled onto Min Seo. “…I thought our daughters are destined. You promised me.”

“Ew.” Do Yeon mumbled. “Aigoo, mind your aunts, Han Seo-ya. Just follow your heart.”

“No. We should evaluate.” So Mi said. “Where is she anyway?"

“Sunbae~~” Mi Mi got to hug Han Seo and I.O.I and Min Seo reacted.

“She’s pretty.” Na Young wowed.

“But my daughter is better for Han Seo.” Se Jeong said.

“No.” Mi Na batted. “My daughter is destined for Han Seo.”

“Awww…what about my chance to win my niece’s heart?” So Mi pouted.

“Pedo.” Do Yeon mumbled.

“You must be Mi Mi.” Min Seo as she instructed Na Young to calm their sisters down. “I’m Choi Min Seo, Han Seo’s mom."

Han Kyul and I.O.I left the three to talk. Mi Mi was so obliged to meet the mother of her senior. She also found Min Seo attractive despite of her age.

“Thank you for taking care of my daughter, Mi Mi. I hope Han Seo does good.” Min Seo said.

“It’s a pleasure, Imonie. Han Seo is such a good person. She even helps me with all my concerns.” Mi Mi grinned.

“That’s good to hear.” Min Seo grinned back.
Mi Mi hugged Han Seo again but Han Seo grew strong all of a sudden. Min Seo wondered too.

“Ma, I need to go. I need to charge up Mi Mi again.” Han Seo said.

“Okay.” Min Seo. “Take care, Han Seo. I love you.”

“Okay, Ma. I love you too.” Han Seo smiled.

I.O.I and Han Kyul came back. I.O.I said their goodbyes to the two. Han Seo and Han Kyul said goodbye back but Han Kyul and Kyul Kyung decided to talk. Han Seo decided to carry Mi Mi back to her room and charge her.

Mi Mi's eyes opened. Usually, Han Seo would turn her off when she has to charge her up but Han Seo didn’t like Mi Mi to cry, like right now, Han Seo wiped oil off because Mi Mi was traumatized of her sudden shutdown.

“Don’t cry.” Han Seo said and Mi Mi nodded.

“Thank you, sunbae.” Mi Mi smiled again. “You really are a good person. I suppose that’s why I love you.”

“Thank you.” Han Seo could only smile. “Now get some rest.”

Han Seo tucked Mi Mi to bed and the robotic doll hibernated. Han Seo went out quietly.

“Just like Imonie Min Seo.” Han Kyul said.

“What is?” Han Seo asked.

“You’re just as caring as Imonie Min Seo, silly.” Han Kyul said. “Admit you care for Mi Mi, just like the rest of your juniors.”

“Well...maybe I do.” Han Seo replied.

+++

Mi Mi became a little servel for Han Seo but the senior couldn’t take too much of it. Han Seo wanted to do things on her own but Mi Mi's does her chores for her. She would almost blow up a fuse for the loss of freedom.

Her spot was too tidy for her eyes because Mi Mi cleaned the place up. Han Seo would purposely throw a bottle and Mi Mi would pick it up and clean the spot. Also, Mi Mi tends to make sure the place is always clean. And when Mi Mi wanted to do Han Seo’s assignment for her, Han Seo had to stop this madness.

“Mi Mi, I can do it myself.” Han Seo took back her notes from Mi Mi and resumed her assignment.

Mi Mi nodded and decided to make lunch. She asks Han Seo. “I’ll make some lunch, sunbae. What do you want to eat?”

Making meals was also an issue. Han Seo decided not to eat anymore of Mi Mi's cooking. “No thanks, Mi Mi. I’ll just go and eat outside.”

“How about I order some pizza?” Mi Mi offered.

“Goodness, Mi Mi…” Han Seo sighed hard. “I’ll just go and buy myself.”

Han Seo went to her closet when Mi Mi already got clothes for Han Seo. Han Seo was frustrated as she got them and went to shower. After showering and changing, Mi Mi got Han Seo's handbag. Han Seo sighed in frustration as she got it and spoke. "You're staying here."

Mi Mi nodded as Han Seo left and decided to buy ramen by the convenience store. Han Seo got to the main gate, crossing the roads when it started to rain. Han Seo got to run and find shelter. The rain poured hard and Han Seo cussed. It was still another walk towards the convenience store. She'd run but the weather would cost her health.

Han Seo decided to wait when she saw Mi Mi running in the rain, holding an umbrella. Han Seo gasped.

"Sunbae, you forgot-" Mi Mi started to glitch.

Han Seo didn't think about going to the store anymore as she got to Mi Mi and shielded her from the rain before she'd glitch even more.

+++

With the incident, Han Seo worked all week to fix Mi Mi. Her friends grew worried for Han Seo.She maintained her academics while fixing Mi Mi on her vacant periods, making her deprived with eating and sleeping. The week passed and Han Seo got Mi Mi fixed. As she turned Mi Mi on, Han Seo decided to take a break.

Han Kyul kept watch of her cousin. Seeing Han Seo stop made her sigh in relief. When Han Seo was about to go, a hand stopped her.

"Sunbae..." Mi Mi was working and spoke, holding Han Seo's hand tenderly. "...what happened to me?"

"Mi Mi." Han Kyul went to the two and got Mi Mi's hand off of Han Seo. "You had a major glitch. You were knocked out for a week and Han Seo spent the time to fix you up. Now that Han Seo had done her work, why don't you let your sunbae rest?"

Mi Mi nodded as Han Kyul helped Han Seo towards her bed. Han Seo slumped and slept instantly as Han Kyul tucked the blanket beneath the tired body of her cousin. Han Kyul faced Mi Mi and said: "I need to go to my classes. Mind watching my cousin for me?"

Mi Mi nodded as Han Kyul left the room. Mi Mi checked herself in the mirror and felt her heart beat and her face flush red. She wondered of it as she touched her. She had her eyes dilated. She didn't feel anything plastic nor anything metallic. It hit her.

She was one of those unusual juniors offered for the promo. She was a robotic doll that turned into a real woman, almost like fantasy. It was hard to believe but in that belief, love cured that said predicament. With Han Seo's care towards her, the reason had been obvious and it made Mi Mi happy. Mi Mi could only come closer and watch her senior asleep after a week of sacrifice towards depriviation. She sat by the bed, looking at her senior's face, cupping with it her now-realistic hands.

She felt sorry for this whole promo, not just for Han Seo but for herself. Because to her, she wished to be a real woman, to do anything human-like, even to love like a human. She did that but her time was limited.

What a life for the precoccious doll...