Chapter 11

So, this is love.

(Guigui's POV)
Ever since Ah Bu left me when I was young, I have never ever felt so happy before. I was happy that Ah Bu was finally here by my side. After such a long time, I finally found my childhood friend, a childhood friend that I truly adored and loved. At the same time, I was surprised that Aaron, Yan's Shipping CEO, would actually be that caring, funny boy, Ah Bu.

"Aaron, are you really Ah Bu?" I turned to face Aaron, who was lying beside me.
 
It was already 12am, and we have been lying on the grass patch at the backyard of my house. I remembered those times when Ah Bu and I would lie on the grass patch of a garden and admire the night sky and stars. Once again, it seemed like those memories had rewind. All those happy memories with Ah Bu.
 
"Of course," Aaron answered and turned to look at me too.
 
For a few minutes, we were gazing admiringly at each other. Ah Bu had grown into such a young, charming guy. He has a pair of mesmerising eyes, a sharp nose and thin lips.
 
"Do you remember those times when we look at the stars together?" Aaron asked as he gazed at me.
 
"Of course I do, I would never ever forget them." I answered while smiling.
 
"The way you smile had never changed," Aaron got up from his position and sat upright.
 
I followed with what he did and leaned against his shoulder.
 
"Your shoulders have never changed too, still as comfy as ever." I giggled and looked up at the sky.
 
"Of course it is."
 
"You did not grow stronger, have you?" I teased.
 
Just then, Aaron grabbed me by my arms and made me turn to face him.
 
"Remember when we were young, I used to tell you that I'll make you my girlfriend?" Aaron spoke gently.
 
I was taken aback. Although I remembered about what he said when we were young, I had a strong feeling against it. Perhaps I was not ready for it, but up till now, the feeling remains there. I did not know why. Since young, I knew that I liked him a lot through all those little things that he did to help me, but I did not know why I had a feeling against it. Maybe, just maybe, I felt that I wasn't the right one for him.
 
"Yes, I do remember that Aaron." I answered and shrugged his hands off my shoulders.
 
"What if I ask you that question once again?" Aaron's question hit me.
 
How should I answer him? What should I do? Should I tell him that I wasn't ready for it although I liked him? Or should I tell him that I wasn't the right one for him all this while?
 
"Aaron... I..." I lowered my head and heasitated for awhile.
 
Aaron continued staring at me, expecting for an answer. I could see the hope gleaming in his eyes. The hope of me agreeing to his question, the hope of me accepting his request.
 
"No... We can only be friends..." At last, I answered.
 
But not at all were they true, it seemed like daggers and knives are continuosly stabbing into my heart, causing them to bleed profusely. Tears started b up my eyes as I tried to control them from flowing onto my cheeks. I did not want Aaron to see me crying. I did not want him to know that I actually liked him all this while.
 
"Why not?" Aaron lifted my chin up gently as I tried to control my emotions.
 
We were not meant to be, Aaron. We could only be friends, best friends, but not couples. The fact is, my parents went to Singapore to get a better pay and pay off the debts that they owed in Taiwan when they tried to start a business. Besides that, they went over to Singapore so that those loan sharks wouldn't harrass them.
 
That's the reason, Aaron. You are a wealthy, charming young man. Many better, beautiful girls would go after you, I am sure.
 
But I am just a poor, low-class person and an average-looking girl that could only afford at least 3 meals a day. Do I look like someone that look compatible with you? No, of course not. How can a pauper marry a prince? There's no such things as 'Cinderella', they are just fairytales. And fairytales do not come true. They only appeal to children.
 
And I am not one.
 
"It's late already, Aaron. I need to sleep. And... there's work tomorrow. Right?" I avoided his question.
With that, I stood up and walked away.
 
(Aaron's POV)
What's wrong with Guigui? Why the sudden change of mood when I mentioned to her about that question? Is something wrong with her? Swiftly, I got up onto my feet and pulled her back. I sealed her lips with a passionate kiss and I placed my hands gently onto her cheeks. That's when I realised that she was crying. Why was she crying? Did I upset her? Slowly, I moved away from her, leaving a distance of only an inch apart.
 
"What's wrong?" I asked, concern.
 
"Sorry Aaron..." Guigui continued sobbing as I pulled her into my embrace.
 
It hurts to see her crying this way. But all I could do, was to give her a comforting hug. Shouldn't she be happy that I was here by her side? Shouldn't she be happy that she finally found her long-lost childhood friend, Ah Bu? But why was she crying? Many questions started lingering in my head.
 
"I'll always be here, Xiao Ying..." I patted her back gently as she cried her heart out.
 
(The Next Day at Yan's Shipping)
"Hey Aaron!" Calvin's cheerful voice rang in my ears.
 
I walked past him, into my office, completely ignoring his presence.
 
"Hey, you've got panda eyes!" Calvin laughed as he continued examining my face.
 
"Done with inspecting, Sir Chen?" I addressed him like as if he was a cheif officer.
 
"Yes, yes. By the way, where's your personal assistant, Guigui?" Calvin looked out of the glass doors of my office.
 
Speaking of which, where is she? This is her second time late for work. But, I wouldn't blame her. Besides, she had been crying a lot last night.
 
"Hello? I am asking a questi-" Calvin was being interrupted by the office door.
 
"Good Morning Mr Yan and Mr Chen," Guigui greeted the both of us.
 
Her eyes were swollen, so were her cheeks. She must have continued crying after I left her house last night. Argh, my heart aches.