Chapter 9

So, this is love.

(Aaron's POV)
As soon as I let go of Guigui's hands, I started to feel tense. I almost have the time to ask her the question when someone had already budged into the room. At the same time, I was rather pissed off by the sudden appearance of someone.

"Supper time!" Calvin's voice rang in my ears.

I spun around, to see Calvin holding a bag of food. He smiled at Guigui and then at me. Simply, I nodded back as a reply.

"Woohoo! Supper is here!" Guigui started cheering delightedly.

But, I wasn't supportive of the idea - 'supper'. Besides, Guigui's sick.

"Guigui's sick, you shouldn't spoil her and let her eat supper. She'll not recover like that," Those words came out of my mouth naturally and solemnly.

Guigui looked at me with a watch-what-you-are-saying look but smiled at Calvin sweetly. Great, she seemed to be happier to see him instead of me.

"Anyway, thanks Calvin!" Guigui snatched the bag of food from Calvin's hand and enthusiastically opened it.

Or maybe, she was interested of the food instead. What a cuti- WAIT, what the heck? Why are all these stupid, idiotic thoughts lingering in my head constantly? Am I going mad?

"Ooooh! It's my favourite, yam paste!" Guigui squealed as she digged into her food.

My jaws dropped opened in surprise. The way she squealed was..was.. really familar. Just like how Xiao Ying did.

(Flash Back)
"Xiao Ying?" I called for the girl that was hugging her knees while sniffing.

She slowly looked up at me as I offered my hand to her.

"Get up Xiao Ying! Don't cry, I am here for you," I tried to comfort her.

"N- No, no. I don't want to mov-move away, I want to.. to.. be with Ah Bu," She mumbled in between her sobs.

I was shocked and dumbfounded after what I just heard. Xi..Xiao Ying's moving away? NO. I would not want Xiao Ying to move away. I like Xiao Ying although I am not sure if she likes me... But even if she doesn't like me, I would like to stay by her side forever and ever. But the least I could do now, was to hug and comfort her.

"Don't worry, I'll follow you. Come on, I'll bring you somewhere," With that, I pulled Xiao Ying's arm gently and made her follow me to a nearby street dessert shop.

Along the way, Xiao Ying was still crying. Tears kept welling up her eyes uncontrollably. Seeing her in this state, made my heart ached. I did not know what to say to her in order to make her happy. But I knew what she saw next, would make her elated. No doubt.

"Uncle, may I have 2 bowls of Yam paste?" I tip-toed and ordered for the dessert as the counter was rather high.

Xiao Ying continued looking around curiously. It was my first time bringing her to such a place. The places we went to were always the playground, my house, or a high-class restaurant that my parents would bring her to. But this time, I brought her to a street dessert shop.

"There you go, little boy." The uncle gave me 2 bowls of yam paste while I paid for the dessert.

I carefully took the 2 bowls of yam paste and smiled upon looking at it. I am sure Xiao Ying would like it.

"For you," I passed Xiao Ying her share and smiled at her.

Her lips curved up slowly upon seeing what's inside the bowl that she was holding.

"Ooooh! It's my favourite, yam paste!" Xiao Ying grinned and took a scoop of the yam paste.

"Thank You, Ah Bu! Hehe," Xiao Ying giggled and continued eating.
(Flash Back End)

"Aaron?" Guigui's voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Huh?" I turned to look at her as she continued eating the bowl of yam paste.

"Haha, I saw you staring into space. So... I called you.." Guigui explained.

"Oh..."

"So, what were you-" I interrupted what she wanted to say.

"I think I should go now, it's getting late." Swiftly, I stood up from the chair beside the bed.

Actually, I was reluctant to leave. In fact, I wanted to stay here, by Guigui's side.

At the same time, I wished that Calvin did not enter the ward. I wished that I could ask the truth. I wished that I knew what Guigui wanted to say. I wished that I could learn more about Guigui's childhood. But, Goddess of Luck wasn't on my side this time.

As I opened the ward door, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I knew it was Calvin so I did not bother turning back.

"Thanks buddy," Calvin whispered into my ears.

I did not know why he said 'thank you'. Maybe, he was thankful that I left early so that I could leave them alone. But, I hated this feeling. I hated the feeling of seeing them alone, together. Speechless, I shrugged his hand off, opened the ward door and stood outside, leaving the door to close by itself.

"Bye Aaron," Guigui's voice trailed off as the ward door shut with a click.

"Thanks to Aaron for sacrificing himself," I mumbled to myself sarcastically as I made my way to the carpark, heading home.

(Flash Back)
We both stood at the grassy alley, staring into each other's eyes. Seeing Xiao Ying in this state, I really hated myself for leaving her just like that.

"Are you leaving for go-?" Xiao Ying said in between her sobs with her head down.

I could perceive a note of unhappiness in Xiao Ying's voice. Her words weren't really clear as she was sobbing through. Yet, as if reading her mind, I replied just even before she got the time to finish her sentence.

"I'll come back, for you. I will." Grabbing her by her arm, I pulled her into my embrace.

It felt really nice to be hugging her. Maybe, this was the very last time that I could ever hug her again. Chanting in my head, I vowed to cherish the memories that Xiao Ying and I shared.

"Ah Bu, time to go!" My mother's voice echoed, calling me to leave.

I pulled away from the hug reluctantly and saw that Xiao Ying's eyes were filled with tears. I wiped away the tears in her eyes and caressed her cheeks. I did not want to go. In fact, a few days ago, I even begged my mother. I begged her to let me stay here, with Xiao Ying. But, she did not take my words, she kept telling me that she and my father are in bad terms and she wanted to leave him at once.

"Sorry Xiao Ying," I apologised and turned to leave.

Her footsteps followed closely behind me, and soon, I realised that I was running away. Running away from her. I did not want her to see me leaving.

It'll hurt more. She'll always remember the moment and she would be reluctant for me to leave. Tears started b up my eyes as I ran to the car.

"Ah Bu!!!" Xiao Ying cried out.

I quickly got into the car and told the chauffeur to drive off, with my mother sitting beside me. The last thing that I have to remember her was only a marble. A colourful marble that she gave me when I first met her.

I took a last glance of Xiao Ying, to see her kneeling on the road. She was crying her lungs out and I could still hear her shouting my name. Sorry Xiao Ying, I did not mean to hurt you. I did not mean to. A tear rolled down from my cheek as I continued clutching onto the colourful marble.
(Flash Back End)

"Beep beep!" A driver honked the car, alerting me.

I glanced at the rear view mirror and realised that I was blocking a black, sports car. Damn, I must have been too lost in my thoughts that I forgot that I am still driving on the road. With that, I swerved the car and gave way to the car behind me. To take a break, I stopped the car at a safe spot.

Xiao Ying, where are you? Depressed, I leaned my head against the steering wheel with the thoughts of our childhood lingering in my mind.

(The Next Day, Guigui's POV)
My eyes fluttered open, only to see Aaron staring back at me. Caught by surprise, I quickly sat up on the bed and tidied my unkempt hair.

"What are you doing here?" I asked solemnly.

"To pick you up," His sonorous voice sounded.

Oh. That was.. kind of him. I kept my eyes peeled to see if anybody else was around. But, I could only see Aaron.

"Where's Calvin?" I questioned.

"I have no idea, he must have gone home," Aaron answered simply and lowered down his head.

"Oh," I started to ponder where Calvin could have gone to.

Shuffling the blanket off my body, I got up and headed for the toilet, intending to wash up. All of a sudden, I felt a hand grabbing onto my arm. I spun around and saw Aaron staring back at me as he stood up.

"Gui," His usual severe voice had changed to a really gentle and soothing tone.

I stared back at him, unsure of what to say.

"I... You.. I..." He heasitated for several times and I started to get impatient.

"Talk later. I should wash up first," I shook of his grip gently and headed for the toilet.

A few minutes later, I was ready to head back home. I was excited and nervous at the same time as it had been days since I last got home and tidied up the house. But, it was a great thing that Aaron was around to bring me back home. But, throughout the whole journey in Aaron's car, there was only a bitter, cold silence. I was unsure of what to say, so it's better that I kept my mouth shut. Besides, it doesn't sound right whenever Aaron's quiet. He would either be sad, angry or even both. I wondered what's with him. A moment ago, he sounded all gentle and nice, and now he's all quiet, like an ice.

"So, what did you wanted to say just now?" I broke the silence.

I sighed audibly, relieved and happy that I finally broke the cold silence that seemed to last forever.

"About your childhood," Those words seemed to pierce into my heart.

(Flash Back)
He continued running. Running away from me. It hurted a lot. I wanted to break down and cry. I wanted him to stay by my side. But, he broke his promise. He said that he would stay by my side forever and make me happy when I am sad, but now, he's making me sad instead of happy. I watched helplessly as he got onto the car, leaving me alone, kneeling on the road.

"Ah Bu!!!" I cried out.

No words could describe how I felt. Those tears seemed to trickle out of my eyes and down onto my cheeks uncontrollably. I continued crying my lungs out as the car slowly drove off in the distance.

I remembered those last words that he said.

"I'll come back, for you. I will."

Those words were buried in my heart ever since that day he left. Everything changed after he left. My world seemed to turn black and white. Nobody was there to comfort me when I cry, nobody was there to accompany me home after school, nobody was there to shake off those bullies, nobody was there to make me happy, nobody was there to hug me, nobody was there to share an umbrella with me when it was raining. I was all alone.

Supporting myself, all alone. Living a life, without Ah Bu, was indeed miserable.
(Flash Back End)

Unknowingly, a tear rolled down from my cheek as I thought about Ah Bu, a childhood friend that did not leave my heart and mind, up till now.

"Gui?" Aaron's voice brought me back into reality.

I was suddenly overcome with an uncontrollable desire to hug Aaron and cry on his shoulder. And yes, I did. I lied my head on Aaron's chest and continued sobbing. I felt a comforting pat on my back as I continued crying. How I wished, Ah Bu was here. But, I knew I was lying to myself all this while. Lying to myself that he would be back for me when he would never be. He must have forgotten about my existance. Besides, I was once a plain, old Jane.

"If you do not want to talk about your childhood, then forget about it," Aaron said gently.

I was taken aback after what he just said. He actually cared for my feelings and did not force me to talk about my painful childhood.

I pulled away from his embrace and took a glance out of the window, to see that we have already arrived at the entrance of my house.

"I better get going. And um... thank you," I unbuckled my seat belt and opened the car door.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hahahaha, lots of flash backs in this chapter.
Sorry for the long wait, once again. I did not have time to update as I was busy and I have WRITER'S BLOCK D:
Shall update tomorrow if I have the time.
Also, thank you for the support, readers! <3333

Do comment ;D ;D ;D

With love,
Kaijin