Still Thinking of you

For the Times in Between

Getting out of his car Joshua swung his backpack over his shoulder. Thankfully nosy Mrs. Kim wasn’t around for once. Joshua hated how she would always ask him about Jeonghan. As if it wasn’t hard enough to be away from him for the past few months. But to have her try to find more gossip. Nosy woman.

The two of them contacted each other. Rarely. Briefly. Jeonghan kept the calls short. Like he didn’t trust himself not to get on the next plane to LA to sweep Joshua into his arms. It was just so hard to be without him when Joshua saw him so much. They had plans of Joshua leaving, thought about it plenty of times. But when the time came and the distance between them never seemed to damn long before; it was a different feeling. And Joshua wasn’t sure if he’d be able to do this for long.

Sighing Joshua opened the mailbox. Lucky for him it was right by his house. Made trips to get the mal quick. “Bill, bill, junk,” he mumbled rifling through the letters. Standing up a key to one of the large mailboxes fell to the floor. “I didn’t buy anything though,” he murmured. He locked his before scooping up the key. Sticking it in, he turned the key and yanked the mailbox door open.

A box. Blinking he took it out and nearly gasped. He took it under his arm and hurried to the front door of his house. Walking through the door, he slammed it shut, throwing down the letters and going into the kitchen.

He grabbed a knife and carefully sliced the tape open. Pushing it to the side Joshua sat down on the table and opened the box with a shaky breath. Another jewelry box. Black velvet just like his last birthday. The stupid .

Joshua took it out and opened it, closing his eyes as he saw what it was. Stifling a noise, he dug around in the box and found a letter. He steeled himself for what was to come.

A few minutes later tears started to fall. “Stupid ing ,” he said, voice cracking. With shaky hands, he took off his necklace and carefully put the other wing on, clasping it back on his neck.

Another wing to make a full pair of wings. “To make a complete set for my angel to fly,” the letter said. Stupid Jeonghan. He wrote about love and congratulations on reaching another milestone. Joshua celebrated only one birthday with Jeonghan and now his second one engaged he received another expensive present but without the kisses and the hugs. But what hurt most of all was the I miss you on the bottom of the letter and the love your old man ending.

Joshua missed him too. And what was the use of expensive presents to be spoiled by when the person Joshua acted spoiled around wasn’t even here. He choked down the tears, rubbing the edges of his palms into his eyes to try and stop the crying.

The light of the windows and his backyard doors shone through, hitting his necklace, bouncing off the diamonds to hit the walls in little twinkling round rainbow like lights.