Chapter 11

Prospect

 

"Blue actually looks good on you hyung!"

 

"But does it make my look big?"

 

"Of all concerns, why do you care if it does?"

 

"It looks like a perfect fit on you, Hyesung hyung!"

 

"Oh, thank you Jungsoo-yah!"

 

The pastel blue suit finally fits him. In the previous one, Pilkyo had to hold his breath to fit in. The sleeves were too small for his arms and he couldn't even button the jacket. He started to doubt if the nightly Zumba workouts were worth it when the tailor stepped in to apologize that he didn't get the right measurements. While that irritated the older, he was still thankful that his suit was done. Underneath the toned-down orange tie, a white dress shirt peeks through. Pilkyo spins around to ask if the jacket is better buttoned or not. "Buttoned, you look much more formal," Sunggyu says, eyeing the button.

 

Chungjae scrunches his nose but agrees to the 2nd Kim's suggestion. "All groomsmen must be buttoned then, to be identical."

 

Pilkyo nods, turning his back once again to the trio. Chungjae planned to have all of his groomsmen fit all together, but Pilkyo wanted a separate session. Probably to voice out his opinions or to be himself. Most of Chungjae's groomsmen were unfamiliar to Pilkyo, except Dongwan.

 

They were conveniently separated into two groups. Pilkyo and Dongwan are Chungjae's groomsmen, while Sunho's best man is Junghyuk and one of his groomsmen is Minwoo. Even though they are considered as a friend group, they individually partook in the couple's lives. Pilkyo is Chungjae's best friend. A testimony to this friendship is their nicknames to each other — Junjin for Pilkyo, Chungjae gave him Hyesung.

 

"I think I'm okay with this," Pilkyo says as he looks at his back for the last time, checking if there are any loosely-fitted areas or tight spaces in his suit.

 

The tailor smiles brightly and the trio nod all together. Chungjae was the most satisfied; he was able to pacify the most diva member in the group.

 

Chungjae reiterates to the tailor his wedding plans and the shipping date of the suits. They leave the shop and made their way to the nearest Chinese restaurant. Chungjae offered to treat them, but Pilkyo insisted to pay half. "I don't want to hear any financial crisis because of you two spending too much!"

 

The younger ones thank them for the meal and started to catch up. Jungsoo mentions that his friends have a picnic on Yonsei, answering Sunggyu's question. The latter spotted his older brother preparing a huge bag, mostly stuffed with snacks and a blanket. "Is Jonghoon hyung in charge of the blanket?" Sunggyu asks.

 

Jungsoo nods, "He insisted to be in charge of the blankets. Since Ryeowookie mostly brings it."

 

Sunggyu chuckles. His hyung and his love troubles.

 

"Oh, thank you for accompanying us, Sunggyu-ah!" Chungjae says after finishing chewing one bite of tangsuyuk, "You sure it wasn't a bother?"

 

The 3rd Kim shakes his head. "I don't have classes for today so it's fine."

 

They continued to eat silently, occasionally talking about the final wedding preparations. The couple targets to finish everything relating to South Korea this month and start to finalize the wedding once they arrive in the US in the last week of November. It took them almost a year to get everything ready.

 

"But I don't understand why the theme is 'spring in the middle of winter.' What does that suppose to mean?" Sunggyu asks in the middle of the conversation.

 

Not everyone knows the real reason behind that theme. Chungjae explains it simply, "Dy and I met during a tumultuous time. Ever since then, it felt like despite the chaos, he was a warm ray of sunshine in my life."

 

Pilkyo was a personal witness to their budding love. Sunho's parents were skeptical of Chungjae, even though they were best friends. It took Chungjae a few months to prove himself worthy of Sunho. Their youngest friend's family is very conservative, but when they realized that Chungjae makes the youngest happy, they didn't dare to meddle more. "As long as Sunho's sure with what he's doing, we're giving our blessing," Chungjae told him over the phone, sharing the good news to his friends.

 

For Pilkyo, the theme was more than just the initial rejection of Chungjae in Sunho's family. It was way before the families were concerned. Back then, Chungjae was unsure of his feelings and he knew that he likes girls. When Sunho came, questions circled in his mind as unnatural feelings emerged. Pilkyo was Chungjae's pillar — he helped him sort out his feels, validating that he's still fine, telling him to take it one step at a time.

 

With the elder's guidance, Chungjae comfortably broke out of his shell and declare his love for Sunho. In no time, the younger accepted his declaration. And the rest was history.

 

They were a perfect match.

 

Talks about the wedding suddenly gave Pilkyo some realizations about his relationship with Junghyuk. Dongwan is urging him to get married once Chungjae and Sunho tie the knot. But he kept on dodging it. Nobody needs to know why he still doesn't want to get married. It's not their business. And he and Junghyuk already talked about it.

 

"Not now," Pilkyo remembers telling his boyfriend, "Once my board exam ends. We'll get married."

 

More like once Seungkwan and Seokmin step in uni, then we'll get married, Pilkyo thinks again as he hears Chungjae finishing explaining his history with Sunho.

 

Jungsoo looks bored, he probably heard the story countless times, but there's a glint in his eyes that he's happy that his older brother has finally found his The One.

 

"How are you and Youngwoon by the way?" Pilkyo then asks, slipping the question without any thought. But he's curious as to how the strong, young man has been doing. Blame it on unavailable Jonghoon and his work.

 

Jungsoo's eyes characteristically shaped into crescents, smiling ever so brightly. Finally, someone asking about his life. "He's doing great, Hyesung hyung! I don't know any baseball lingos, but I do know he's the ace of the varsity team."

 

Youngwoon has been athletic, as Jonghoon would describe him. On one occasion, the 2nd Kim invited Pilkyo to watch a baseball match between Yonsei and KU. It was a fierce battle. Pilkyo could still make out Youngwoon's fiery eyes while staring at the hitter, determined to win the final match.

 

They finish their lunch and parted ways once they step out of the restaurant. Jungsoo still has to fly to Yonsei for the picnic, while Pilkyo and Chungjae get back to work. Before the cousins part ways, Pilkyo asked the younger Kim. "What about you Gyu-ah?"

 

Sunggyu points a thumb behind him, "I'll go back home. I need to finish reviewing for the LEET."

 

Pilkyo beams widely, reaching his hand to ruffle the top of the younger's head. He tells Sunggyu to text him once he reaches the apartment while pulling Chungjae away.

 

It was a productive day for Sunggyu, despite the only thing he did was watch the eldest Kim fitting his suit. Pilkyo hyung wearing a suit without any diva tantrums? A dream come true for Kim Sunggyu.

 

Making a turn to the right, his phone rings and immediately answers it, not even bothering to check the caller ID. "Hello?"

 

"Hyung, I set up Yoongi with Sungjong!" Wonshik giddily informs him over the phone.

 

Sunggyu stops on his tracks. "Wait, what?! How?!"

 

He could feel Wonshik having the jitters — the exciting kind. "I kind of made a deal with Yoongi that if I want him to have a date with Jjong, then I should help Joon with his project. I had to agree."

 

Sunggyu chuckles. Contrary to popular belief, the 3rd Kim is aware of Seokjin's dilemmas with Namjoon. One of the dilemmas is indirectly telling Wonshik not to collaborate of any sorts with his former flame. Which is a move, Sunggyu believes. But as long as Seokjin knows what's he's doing, then he has no right to meddle.

 

Wonshik is a grown-up lad. He has the freedom to assist anyone that he wants. Seokjin doesn't have to meddle.

 

Anyway, this is not a problem. Sungjong's love life must be drying up and Wonshik is desperate to set him up on a date with Yoongi. Sunggyu thinks it's an unlikely pairing — given that Sungjong has those intense diva tantrums and Yoongi gets annoyed fast. How in the world would Wonshik play matchmaker?

 

"Well, try not to let them eat each other alive. I don't want to go home and receive a call from Sungjong telling me his disastrous date," Sunggyu tells the 5th Kim before he hears an "I won't!" and hangs up.

 

Approaching the bus stop, Sunggyu smiles as he replays the conversation. With all the stress running around his mind, funny events like these make him a bit sane. At least he still knows how to smile.

 

The bus arrives and he sits down near the back door. A few passengers were already inside the bus. His phone vibrates and hastily opens it, maybe a message from Myungsoo or Bomi or the program committee. The phone lights up, flashing a message from no other than Nam Woohyun.

 

Nam Woohyun knows he doesn't have classes today. And he doesn't send messages on his free day, except when homework or a project is due.

 

The message was a picture — Woohyun wearing a face mask holding a bouquet of sunflowers — and Sunggyu squints a little harder. Is he in front of their apartment?!

 

Obscenities scream in his mind. How did he know where he lives?! Who in the world told him his humble abode?! , good thing no one is at home!

 

 

To: Namu

 What the are you doing there?!

 

From: Namu

I have a surprise for you!

Where are you?!

I've been waiting for so long! :((((

 

 

He groans inwardly.

 

 

To: Namu

I accompanied Hyesung hyung

WTF!!!

Just stay there!

 

 

Why did this tree appear out of nowhere?! And what was in his hands?!

 

For the first time, the trip back home was excruciatingly long.

 


 

Jungkook's voice echoes in the four walls of the auditorium. Everyone is quiet as they listen to his wail, followed by a monologue that makes Seokjin surprised. The younger is passionate about plays and stage performances, but Seokjin had underestimated his abilities. He should've listened to Jimin.

 

A piano version of My Time floated in the air. Seokjin spots Soonyoung skillfully hitting the right notes. Soonyoung had this rearranged version approved by the last minute. The playwright was taken aback by the younger's capabilities.

 

Seokjin quickly snaps a photo of Jungkook — he's looking up as if conveying his emotions to the ceiling — and sends it to Jimin. The picture has an accompanying Your boyfriend acts well 😮.

 

Daehwi claps in excitement when the female lead — a lovely student named Chaeyeon — exits the stage. So far, this was the most perfect rundown of the play. Seokjin has been joining the production, coaching them in every step. Sometimes he steps back to let them do all the work, other times he joins Daehwi. Everyone is nervous whenever the playwright watches them. Every movement and every dialogue must be precisely conveyed with the correct emotion. The props must be strategically placed well.

 

There were a lot of underestimations in Seokjin's part. The drama club managed to slim down the play from the 3-hour running time to 2 hours. When he checked the script, it looked like there was nothing removed from the original play. Seungkwan was one of the scriptwriters, working diligently in communicating between the club and his cousin and describing the alternative scenes to co-writers. Actors also have done their part well — Seokjin suddenly felt like he was included in the story. The props were beautifully made despite the given time frame was too short.

 

This drama club is no joke.

 

Seokjin flips through the script given to him. It's a new one, as he notices the additional scenes and the music cues. The old one was filled with writings in different colors, small sticky notes, and pencil markings. They probably noted a lot of suggestions and changes in some scenes, so they provided Seokjin with a new one.

 

Only a few pages were scribbled down with notes. It's an improvement since the production is getting better. Despite pouring their blood, sweat, and tears for this project, they have to still focus on their studies — most especially for the seniors.

 

He stands up and makes his way to Daehwi, who was still in the middle of talking one committee head at a time. Sitting down on a free seat beside the director/president's table, Seokjin cranes his head to look for his cousins. Seungkwan is nowhere to be seen since the end of the act, probably bustling around backstage. Seokmin is seated beside Soonyoung, flipping through a clear book.

 

"Ah, hyung-nim! How was the play?" he was snapped out of his daze when Daehwi calls him, driving him to stand up automatically and flip open a few pages.

 

"Everything is perfect! Although we need to check back on some props and the transition of scenes. There are still a few improvements but it can be polished," Seokjin says as points lines with asterisks on them. Daehwi and 2-3 members of the production circle around him, taking notes of every single detail he mentions.

 

"Overall, I have no problems and I'm sure that you'll be able to pull this off by December," Seokjin compliments and they clap in excitement. The vibrant personalities of these kids gave Seokjin inspiration to focus on his play. Everything is already in the works and he couldn't wait to get back on it.

 

"Thank you hyung-nim!" Daehwi bows repeatedly, Seokjin stopping him because he was getting too flustered by the high respect given to him. He never got this kind of respect. It makes him feel valued at some point.

 

"Oh, hyung-nim, we're inviting you to watch the play! You can invite anyone, just please let us or Seungkwan know," Daehwi says and Seokjin suddenly considers this. It's been a while since he last saw a production of his play, most especially for Epiphany. While it harbors unpleasant memories, Seokjin thinks that, like the play, it could give him some sort of realization. So far, it has given him many realizations. And the playwright loves that.

 

Seokjin nods, telling him that he'll relay it to Seungkwan once he has made his mind. Daehwi bows again and excuses himself, calling the youngest Kim to accompany his cousin. The playwright doesn't mind if he's alone, as he knows that Seungkwan and Seokmin are busy as well.

 

Which reminds him — he should talk to Soonyoung about the arrangements. It's a nice version.

 

His phone rings. Without checking who it was, he answers it almost immediately, "Hm?"

 

"Where are you?! Are you sick?!" Hoseok's frantic voice bellows in his ear. While a worried Hoseok is a scary Hoseok, Seokjin chuckles in return. "I'm in Seungkwan's and Seokmin's high school. Watching their play."

 

Hoseok then lets out an exasperated sigh, "Wait, for the whole afternoon? So you didn't go to school today?"

 

"Nope. I'm ahead of some of my classes so I skipped. I'm fine, don't worry," Seokjin lets him know. They talked a little more, with Seokjin praising Jungkook's acting skills and Hoseok mentioning about Yoongi's date with Sungjong.

 

"It's kind of weird to hear that Yoong is suddenly fond of Sungjong, even though my little brother set them up," Seokjin wonders as he lazily flips through the script.

 

Hoseok snorts, "Oh please, hyung. Wonshik hyung did that because we all know Yoongi hyung needs someone. He's getting a bit cranky."

 

The older between the two chuckles. He knows how Yoongi is deprived, the last one being a few years ago. It was amicable but Seokjin knows his best friend still hasn't moved on. He would have to thank Wonshik for setting the two up.

 

"I almost forgot," Seokjin says as he turns around, his back facing the stage, "So remember I'm helping this play out, right? Well... It's an adaptation of Epiphany and their director is inviting me to watch their opening. I could bring along other people too."

 

It's a known fact that Seokjin usually doesn't watch adaptations of his plays. He only watches them once — the opening night — then wouldn't bother to watch it again. Mostly because he associates it with Kim Namjoon. Their promise of watching Seokjin's creations together vanished when they also broke up. Friends would urge him to watch with them, but Seokjin would just wave them off. They got used to it and never bothered to go to any performances again.

 

But when Hoseok heard that Seokjin might consider watching this, he lets out a banshee scream. Seokjin swears his right ear exploded and the whole auditorium might've heard it. Seokjin rushes to leave the auditorium, bursting out of the doors and leaning against the wall. "YAH! Don't do that again! I might go deaf because of you!"

 

"What did you do to the old Seokjin?!" Hoseok is becoming ecstatic over the phone. While Seokjin is still annoyed with his sudden outburst, he's glad that Hoseok didn't forget about the long-forgotten tradition. "I mean, I can't believe a play organized by Seungkwan would finally let you watch your play!"

 

Seokjin hopes that it would continue. It's fine if he won't be with Namjoon this time around. He'll be with his friends. And he's sure as hell that Jimin would be jumping from wall to wall once he invites him. The younger would probably wear those sports cheering stuff just to cheer on Jungkook. The 4th Kim could already feel the secondhand embarrassment.

 

It's like hitting two birds with one stone, again.

 

"I'll let you know if when's the play. I'm still considering it —"

 

"No questions asked, Kim Seokjin. Just go for it!" Hoseok says and Seokjin feels a burst of energy running in his veins.

 

This newfound excitement came as a surprise. It's different but it's making him feel good. It's a sign that everything will be okay.

 

After the call, he reenters the auditorium to see Seungkwan talking to another student and Seokmin with Soonyoung. Judging by their actions, the others look like the stepsiblings' someone special. Seokjin is bad with names so he's glad that the two still haven't introduced their group of friends to him. Jonghoon knows some of them and Pilkyo is aware of the Yoon siblings.

 

Looks like today is his lucky day.

 

He approaches them with a gentle demeanor. Seokmin then spots him and he waves exaggeratedly. Seungkwan follows his direction and he calls out his name. Seokjin breaks into a jog and stops a few inches away from them.

 

"Hyung! This is Hansol. Hansol, this is my cousin Seokjin hyung," Seungkwan introduces and Seokjin holds out a hand. The young man named Hansol shakes his hand back. Seokjin notices how he has a different face compared to other Koreans. "Hansol's half-American. He entered school when we were in 8th grade."

 

Seokjin nods and starts to get to know him. He's Seungkwan's best friend and they have the same sense of humor. They also have the same behavior. Two peas in a pod. But there's something in Seungkwan's behavior that conveys something else. Seokjin notices how wide the younger's smile is and how he looks more relaxed. Of course, he's relaxed with his other friends but this is a different kind of relaxation.

 

They bicker. And Seokjin might have heard one of Seungkwan's rants a few days ago. Oh, so this is the guy he's talking about, the 4th Kim thinks while he observes the two.

 

Daehwi yells out that practice is over and thanks to everyone for their cooperation. He also yells his gratitude to Seokjin, with Seokjin bowing several times while waving. He mentions the music club led by Soonyoung and Seokjin notices how enthusiastic Seokmin's clap is.

 

Does Seokjin miss something or...?

 

They leave the premises and Seungkwan breaks away from Hansol. "I'll video chat you later?" the other asks and Seungkwan nods. The youngest Kim retreats to Seokjin's side and Seokjin smirks, "So... Hansol..."

 

Seungkwan giggles, "I'll tell you everything once we get home."

 

They both chuckle and when they turn around, they see Seokmin and Soonyoung holding hands. Seokjin blinks, while Seungkwan rubs his eyes several times to see if what's he's seeing is real. The two share a hug before Seokmin — or Soonyoung, Seokjin's not sure — reluctantly lets go of their hands. When the 6th Kim strolled towards their place, the two cousins avert their gaze.

 

"What are we going to do now?" Seokmin coolly asks. Seungkwan feels squeamish; he needs to extract the new information from his stepsibling immediately.

 

It looks like Seokjin could telepathically hear him, so the eldest among the three asked them to eat at the nearest café in school. The walk didn't take long and Seokmin found himself in the threatening gaze of his stepbrother and step-cousin.

 

"So," Seungkwan drawls, fingers tapping on the wooden table, "what's the real score between you and Soonyoung hyung?"

 

Seokmin breaks into a smile and the cousins knew this would be a long conversation. They have all the time they need. Besides, they need do a break.

 


 

The afternoon breeze envelopes everyone seated on Yonsei's grassy campus. Other students are found lying down or seated upright with a book on their lap. The picnic today was organized by the Yonsei people but Jonghoon volunteered to bring a huge blanket.

 

Study materials were scattered in edges of the blanket. A laptop is strategically placed in front of the group but Siwon's head is blocking the view. When he leaned back, three of their friends were already on screen.

 

"Henry-ah! Zhou Mi-ah! Hankyung-ah!" Jungsoo calls out and everyone gathered closer. Heechul sounded dramatic when he saw his boyfriend even though Jonghoon witnessed them talking to each other a few hours ago.

 

They got to catch up with each other. Siwon announces formally about the joint fair with KU; Zhou Mi informs them that he and Henry would be flying to Seoul for their Christmas vacation; everyone wished Donghae good luck for his LEET, as well as to Jonghoon for Sunggyu. This picnic is basically what Jonghoon needed: a breather from all those textbooks and great food that everyone brought in with them.

 

But Jonghoon couldn't get his eyes off of Kyuhyun and Ryeowook. The 2nd Kim is glad he's situated at the farther end of the blanket, sandwiched between Heechul and Kibum. They were increasingly getting comfortable with each other and Jonghoon would always look away. While he's uncomfortable with it — their friends would always put off public displays of affection around the others — he's also increasingly aware of the raging emotions consuming him.

 

Well, this is not just an infatuation.

 

He's falling in love hard. With his best friend. With Kim Ryeowook.

 

Heechul notices the uneasiness in Jonghoon's face and he sends a smirk to Hyukjae, who was seated near the clingy couple. Hyukjae then sends a frown towards Jonghoon, and the latter sees how uncomfortable Sungmin is. It's complicated to look at it at every angle.

 

Jonghoon thinks that Heechul knows something. Hyukjae doesn't. Sungmin probably feels the same way as he is. Either way, he still managed to enjoy the company of his friends. He pushes off the weird feelings and continued to eat the blueberry cheesecake that Shindong personally made.

 

They parted ways, sending their well-wishes and good luck to Donghae and Youngwoon — the latter gearing for the baseball team's final match. Everyone promised to watch, with Jonghoon joking that they'll still support him even though they're seated at the SNU benches.

 

Jonghoon is aggressively folding the blanket while Hyukjae and Heechul waited for him. Ryeowook and Kyuhyun already went ahead, with Kyuhyun's hand snaking around Ryeowook's waist. That probably might've sent Jonghoon off.

 

"Yah, don't hurt the blanket," Heechul says. Damn with these feelings indeed. He didn't realize he was hurting the poor blanket due to his aggressiveness.

 

Hyukjae crosses and pats his best friend's back. While he does want to lighten up his mood, Jonghoon might chuck the blanket at him harshly. Hyukjae's not prepared for that.

 

Jonghoon couldn't suppress these feelings any longer. "Hyung, do you know anything about Kyu and Ryeowook?"

 

The feelings were eating him alive. While he could just ask them straightforward, Jonghoon thinks that he's invading their privacy. Ryeowook finally mentioned the relationship but he didn't indulge him further. "We just, you know, clicked," the younger had said and the older swore his heart broke. Why didn't he act further?

 

Heechul looks at him incredulously. Was Jonghoon too forward? A bit too confront? But he wanted to know the reasons.

 

"Kind of glad you finally got out of your senses, Kim Jonghoon," Heechul says and he leaves Jonghoon speechless and Hyukjae's mouth gaping.

 

The 2nd Kim runs toward Heechul, the blanket on his arm, while Hyukjae rushes beside his hyung, "What do you mean getting out of your senses? Did you set that up, hyung?!"

 

Heechul gives them a smirk, sighing almost dreamily with the revelations. "Did you notice how Ryeowook's eyes looked when you and Siwon were talking? He looks like he could murder someone."

 

Why in the world would Ryeowook give him that look? Siwon is with Kibum and they're talking about the upcoming joint fair since Sunggyu is in the committee. Ryeowook knows that he and Siwon are close friends.

 

"Does Ryeowook know something that I don't know...?" Jonghoon asks and Heechul gives them another smirk. Jonghoon swears he could leave his best friend there and drag Hyukjae with him. Heechul's not helping here!

 

But Heechul slings his arms around Jonghoon and Hyukjae. "Gentlemen, I have some tea to spill. Shall we stay with Jonghoonie's humble abode?"

 

"Yah! Let me tell my cousins that you're crashing in!"


Chapter Notes: The LONGEST chapter (so far) in this fanfic is now up! I kind of got carried away typing this. I had numerous writer blocks before I decided to just  it, I'm not impressing anyone here! We're also at the midpoint of the story! I can't wait to let you guys know what would happen in the end 🤣

Comments and upvotes are very much appreciated! I'll see you guys on my next update! 💖

Follow me on Twitter! (@hyesunggyeols / @codenametitanic)