Chapter 5

Prospect

Free weekends are a rare gem to Seokjin. Given his hectic schedule — with a part-time job and university on his plate — he didn’t have any time to unwind or work on editing the second draft of his upcoming play. Hanyang’s theater organization’s adviser handed him back the first draft, asking him to create some major revisions on loopholes and unclear scenes. Overall, she loved the play and gave Seokjin some suggestions.

 

He works at South Korea’s famous production and theater company — Bighit — for a few weeks now. Lately, this was the first time he wasn’t given any new scripts to proofread or any costume research. This weekend was the deadline for pitching ideas for the company’s upcoming project for their anniversary, and he already passed his two days ago.

 

Surprisingly, his professors didn’t give any assignments and home reading for the week. He already caught up in all of the lessons and he plans to review for the midterms the following week.

 

Seokjin decides to make his weekends productive despite the lack of workload. Thankfully, Wonshik reminded his older brother about the pending friend date between him and Hakyeon. Candle-making has been one of Hakyeon’s newest hobbies, piquing Seokjin’s interest as well. The 4th Kim decided to make the date happen, so he calls the older on a Friday morning. They both agreed on meeting on Sunday, seeing that Hakyeon doesn’t have anything to do also over the weekends.

 

Come Sunday, everyone in the household is quiet. Seokjin actually expects for his Pilkyo hyung to do his Zumba, but is met with a silent atmosphere. Probably still asleep or reviewing.

 

Writing a play means intense focus and continuous flow of inspiration, which are the two things that he lacks as of the moment. For this year, he just wrote the draft just because he needs to. He definitely deserved those revisions so he could snap back to reality. Good thing nothing bothers his creative mind space, for now.

 

He returns to skimming his draft for errors when a faint knock was heard. The door opened and he’s greeted by the two youngest Kims. When Seungkwan informed that their theater club would be using one of his plays for their annual school play, Seokjin quickly jumps to his feet and pull out a thick clear book titled ‘Epiphany’. He ushers them to the living room, seeing that Wonshik is wearing noise-canceling headphones.

 

Sitting down on the fuzzy carpet, Seokjin flips open the clear book. “So you have chosen Epiphany?” he looks at the two, with Seokmin fumbling over his notebook and pen. Seungkwan nudges his stepbrother to keep himself together and nods to his older cousin’s inquiry, “Yes hyung. Daehwi didn’t like any of the committee’s choices for the annual play so he decided to use one of your plays.”

 

Choosing a play is the most stressful meeting Seungkwan has been to. He watches as how the members of the committee defended their chosen pieces and would be narrowed down into three top contenders. When they were presented to this year’s club president, Lee Daehwi, he practically scrapped them all. “Will we keep on sticking to Shakespearean and mainstream plays?!” his tone wasn’t friendly, but Seungkwan remembers that it shifted into something calmer. Everyone looked anxious back there.

 

“Let’s do something different. What about Kim Seokjin-ssi’s works? They’re good and I feel like we could pull them off despite how expensive it looks on stage,” Daehwi then suggested.

 

Which led to the president/appointed director asking Seungkwan to ask his cousin about Epiphany. The club actually got the script and has consulted with the music club, but they still wanted to hear something from the playwright himself.

 

“Well, I am honored that my work would be performed in your school,” Seokjin says with a playful tone of reverence, “and I’m also glad that you chose my favorite play.”

 

Epiphany is his favorite work and was written in the summer of his freshman year. When uninspired, he consults Pinterest, shows, K-dramas, books, even social media. The play was inspired by his friends posting several encouragements and motivational quotes on Facebook, and Jungkook being too emo on Twitter.

 

He learned that Jungkook was dumped by his then-girlfriend and has been struggling to move on. Seokjin felt bad as he wasn’t there to comfort his youngest friend. “It’s fine hyung,” Jungkook replied a few minutes later, “the other hyungs have been a great help.”

 

After their conversation, he embarked on messaging some of his friends — partially, to check on them; mostly, to gather data for this new idea floating in his mind.

 

Once he finished collating all of his friends’ answers, he starts to make the working draft of Epiphany. It went through only a few revisions, with his adviser praising for its simplicity and modernity. The play’s approach to self-love and self-actualization appealed to younger audiences, launching him as a playwright in the theater organization.

 

“There’s not a lot of songs for this play,” Seokjin slides the clear book across the table and Seokmin starts to flip through the pages, “although I do suggest asking your Yoongi hyung if you want to check out the original melodies. He mostly did all of them.”

 

The step-cousin furrows his eyebrows as he stops by a page, the music sheet titled ‘Begin’, “Isn’t this Jungkook’s recital piece?”

 

Seungkwan peers over and starts to hum the first few bars, then proceeding to the chorus, “There are some notes that are similar to what he sang.”

 

“Ah, he used this for his recital, correct?” Seokjin looks at his cousins, and they nod simultaneously, “Well, he did. Yoongi tweaked it and made it more EDM-ish since Kook planned to dance on it. The lyrics were original and were based on the play. I had to help him with it.”

 

His youngest friend loved the play when he first watched it. Jungkook immediately informed Seokjin his desire to use ‘Begin’ for his upcoming recital at school after hearing it. Yoongi, also, gladly helped their friend, also contributing a few lyrics.

 

Everyone loved Epiphany a lot, and Seokjin is happy about the positive feedback and reviews of the play. However, he couldn’t bring himself to watch it again since its first screening.

 

The play held many bittersweet memories, most particularly with Namjoon. His ex-boyfriend actively helped him in writing the play, suggesting appropriate scenes and characters. Namjoon also reminded Seokjin to rest or take a break, sensing the fatigue setting on him whenever in front of the monitor.

 

Scenes of snuggling into the younger’s arms slowly occupied his mind, with a few more popping out of nowhere. It also showed their first major fight and how it all went downhill ever since.

 

When Epiphany was first screened, he and Namjoon were watching it from the backstage. Namjoon then softly places a kiss on his cheek — surprisingly, Seokjin could feel it even it was a memory — and mumbles a soft “good job, love.”

 

He thought that everything would be okay once the play is done. He even planned to watch the play alongside Namjoon. Even if it would take place outside of Korea. But he was wrong.

 

He was so wrong.

 

Sudden opportunities made him fall behind his relationship with Namjoon. He couldn’t blame the play entirely — he still considers it as one of his favorite works — but he also couldn’t bring himself to watch it again.

 

Different school organizations and theater companies invited him to watch their adaptation, but Seokjin would politely decline. He would still send them a piece of “good luck and break a leg,” just like how Namjoon did it for him.

 

They continued discussing the production and its related features, with Seokjin allowing them for alterations, “As long as I’m aware of it. I could also give suggestions.”

 

Seungkwan then hands his phone with the club president/director’s contact details, “Just in case you want to directly talk to him. I feel like I could be a cause of miscommunication.”

 

Seokjin stands up and walks to the room, “But what if I want to talk to you instead?”

 

The youngest Kim bursts into a fit, “Hyung~! You know I’m not good at those! There’s a reason why I’m not elected as the class PRO!”

 

While he’s known to be the most talkative person in the entire student body, Seungkwan doesn’t like to relay messages that could possibly harm the other. One time, he tried to inform his teacher about a classmate’s inquiry, and it clearly messed things up.

 

The 4th Kim returns and hands back the youngest’s phone. The stepsiblings thanked their hyung before shuffling to stand up. Barely passing their hyung, Seokjin then asks, “How are you guys holding up? SATs are just around the corner.”

 

Seungkwan sighs, “I don’t know if I could, like, level myself with you guys.”

 

Seokjin smiles sadly. Due to his demanding schedule, he hasn’t been contributing a lot to the youngest Kims. Moral support and recreation would be the only things that he could give for the two.

 

“You know,” Seokjin pulls them behind him and lets them sit back down on the couch, “you guys don’t need to follow our footsteps. whatever hyung pushes you to do! As long as the two of you are happy, I’m happy too.” The 4th Kim really gets protective when he sees his younger cousins, or even his own younger brother, looking unlike their usual personality.

 

SATs have obviously out the hyperactivity from Seungkwan and Seokmin doesn’t look that happy. While Seokjin notes that most of his cousins’ friends and even his own friends back then look relaxed, he and his cousins have undergone intense review and tutorial sessions.

 

“I’m scared to fail,” Seungkwan mutters as he plays with his fingers, “the hyungs look like their lives sorted out. While I’m here, struggling with time management.”

 

There wasn’t a visible hyung during the course of their review journey. No one was there to listen to the boys’ ramblings about their problems — both in academics and social life. Seokjin is guilty of it, mostly because he keeps on promising to himself that he’ll be the supportive cousin.

 

He obviously failed in that aspect, but there’s still time.

 

So, he lets them speak. From mental breakdowns to concerns about their review. Seokmin hesitates to voice his struggles, but slowly — with the help of the 4th Kim’s gentle egging — he manages to speak and bring up whatever bothers him.

 

After a few tear-shedding and funny stories, Seokjin has learned a lot for the boys. Gone are the days where everything went by easy. Of course, there is this huge gap between their generations, but Seokjin didn’t realize that it was this huge.

 

It was nice to listen to their ramblings. He notices how Seungkwan slowly went back to his positive and talkative personality, and Seokmin breaks into a smile or a laugh whenever anecdotes would tickle his funny bone.

 

The older holds each of his younger cousins’ hands in his, “If you have any problems, or you just want to talk, don’t hesitate to approach me or any of the hyungs. You deserve all of our attention and love, okay?” He looks at them with soft and sincere eyes before he continues, “Wherever you guys will be going, I’ll be here to support you. Every step of the way.”

 

Seokmin shifts his position, tucking one leg under the other. He looks like he’s hesitating to speak up, but the 4th Kim stayed silent. He rubs circles on his step-cousin, attempting to calm the storm stirring in his system. Waiting for someone on the verge to speak is better than to egg that person.

 

“You have to tell us about yours too, hyung,” Seokmin mutters, almost in a whispering tone.

 

The break-up has been over a few weeks, but Seokjin still doesn’t want to talk about it to anyone. Sooner or later, he has to tell it. Pent-up emotions are threatening to spill any second, and he had to act fast in order to prevent any damage. He hasn’t chosen a specific person to open up to — his friends might get annoyed if he brings it up, and his cousins are 24/7 in their own worlds.

 

Hearing that the boys would be willing to listen to him soothes Seokjin. It sounded like he’s not a burden, and he’s also someone else’s top priority. He doesn’t deserve all of this, to be honest.

 

He didn’t realize that tears have already formed and fallen on his cheeks. Seungkwan breaks free from his hold to fetch the box of tissues, returning quickly and hands it to his hyung, “It must be so bad.”

 

Seokjin smiles despite the continuous flow of his tears, “I’ll tell you once I’m comfortable, okay? Thank you for your concerns.”

 

The boys smile and Seokjin reaches out to ruffle their hairs. It has been his reflex, an endearment even. Even though they’re growing up fast, the two stepsiblings will always be a child in Seokjin’s eyes.

 

Seokmin starts to gather all of his belongings, while Seungkwan leaves the living area to the room. “Hey, uh, hyung?” the step-cousin asks when everything is in his arms. Seokjin hums in response, letting the boy continue.

 

“Can I study outside? I’ll be with a few friends, oh and with Soonyoung hyung too,” Seokmin cheekily says, his face almost hiding behind the clear book.

 

Seokjin has heard quite a lot about this Soonyoung, so he agrees and tell him to return before sunset. The step-cousin yells an affirmative before disappearing into the bedroom.

 

The 4th Kim shuffles back to his room and sees that Wonshik is done with his work. “I heard everything,” his younger brother says, not looking up from his phone.

 

Seokjin sighs as he opens his closet, pulling out an outfit for his meeting, “We should be around more often, no?”

 

Wonshik clicks his tongue, eyes still trained on his phone, “I should also be more friendly. Do I look scary, hyung?!”

 

He peers over from his closet, chuckling as he spots a pout on his younger brother’s face. Wonshik has always tried his best to express his affections, but he has always been cooped up in his bedroom. If not busy with Youtube, a calculator, and the sound of punching its buttons would occupy him.

 

“Try to be more visible to the boys, and even help them with Math. Siwon hyung can’t always teach them everything,” the 4th Kim says, “You’re a freaking Engineering major. Siwon hyung’s in business!”

 

Wonshik suppresses his snicker, but it’s true. He should be more out in the open. He also loves the younger ones dearly so what better way to show his affections is through an impromptu tutor.

 

When Seokjin is all dressed up, he grabs a paper bag from the room and tells Wonshik to message him the items that he wants to buy. “And can Seungkwan stay in here too? I’ll let him use my desk. Also, help him if he has any questions,” Seokjin says as he puts on his thick navy blue coat. Wonshik nods, and his older brother disappears from the doorframe.

 

As he makes a beeline to the door, he yells an “I’ll be going now!” before asking Seungkwan to join his Wonshik hyung in their room. The youngest breaks into a small smile and gathers all his things. He leaves the room and walks towards the door. He sighs; he really needs to push himself to do things and try not to worry a lot about his cousins.

 


 

Zumba workout videos flash in the television screen. Sunggyu’s eyes lazily shift his eyes alternately between the videos and the eldest Kim moving aggressively to the rhythm.

 

“You don’t need to overdo it,” the 3rd Kim comments when Pilkyo finishes the video. Grabbing his towel on the back of the sofa, Pilkyo wipes off the sweat dripping from his forehead.

 

“It’s one way to lose weight, Gyu,” he says once he catches his breathe. The 3rd Kim rolls his eyes, “You could’ve done this back in summer. And don’t use that suit fitting excuse on me, hyung.”

 

Sunggyu has always been the most straightforward Kim among the cousins. He’s quite frank and doesn’t beat around the bush. Despite his stoic and reserved demeanor, he still cares for the ones he holds dearly — although not freely.

 

Pilkyo throws away the towel towards Sunggyu, albeit a little carelessly. The 3rd Kim groans when it hits his arm, mumbling incoherent complaints. The Chloe Ting exercise then pops into the screen and Sunggyu crosses his arms once he hangs the towel on the back of his couch. “Take it easy on that one, remember the last time you did that and you almost got into an accident.”

 

The eldest Kim sticks his tongue out and lies down, mentally preparing for the still-unknown movements his body would take.

 


 

Pilkyo spots the younger eating after his Zumba/ab workouts. While he’s obviously tempted to eat, the eldest Kim restraints himself and hurriedly went to the room. He times his rest for a few minutes, before running out to take a bath.

 

“I heard Seokjin talking to Kwan and Min about the SATs,” Sunggyu brings up when Pilkyo finally sits down in front of him. Showering in the evening is more of Pilkyo’s thing even before he starts exercising, since he doesn’t have time to do it in the morning. He admits that he loves long showers because it relaxes him. Good thing they have two bathrooms.

 

“And?” Pilkyo asks, still wiping off the excess water dripping from his damp hair.

 

“We should be around them more, like, moral support or something,” the 3rd Kim leans back and puts down his spoon in the bowl, “Also, stop influencing them to go to SKY. Aren’t you happy that hyung, Wonshik, and I are in them?”

 

Pilkyo bites the insides of his cheeks. He just wants the best for his cousins, wishing that they’ll be able to follow his footsteps. While it is a selfish move to urge them to do well in the SATs in order to get to SKY, he still promises to be behind the youngest Kims’ backs when they finally choose their respective universities and majors.

 

Sunggyu crosses his arms, leaning back against the back of the chair. “I know you’re not that much of a dictator, hyung. But just let them be. They’ll be fine, they’ll know what to do.”

 

And Pilkyo believes in that. They’ll be fine.

 

Although he hopes that they would still ask him for anything. He’s really glad to help and pay it forward.

 

The 3rd Kim stretches, “Anyway, Myung told me something.”

 

Pilkyo’s ears perk up. When Sunggyu mentions the younger’s name, it would either mean good or bad. Mostly good. But he feels like something knotted in his gut.

 

He leans forward and rests his chin on his hand, whispering something top secret, “Looks like Wookie hyung’s planning to ask someone to a date.”

 

The eldest Kim gasps, “No.” And Sunggyu nods furiously.

 

Even though it’s not obvious, but the two know that something is going on between Jonghoon and Ryeowook. Friends don’t excessively hold hands or reply with sweet endearments, or even buy stuff for each other! Sunggyu feels like Jonghoon is still in denial, the latter piping up with a “we’re just friends, Gyu.”

 

Sure, just friends, Sunggyu mocks in his thoughts as he peers one time to see his brother and his Wookie hyung exchanging sickeningly sweet messages.

 

“What do you think would happen?” Pilkyo whispers. They’re quite aware that Jonghoon is in their room, and even though he’s probably wearing earbuds — blasting either Beethoven or the latest K-pop tunes — he could still hear the conversation beyond the walls.

 

“I feel like Wookie hyung’s going to ask Jonghoon,” Sunggyu leans back again. He’s pretty sure that the other is harboring feelings to his brother, but he couldn’t pinpoint if it’s real or not.

 

“Or,” Pilkyo counters, crossing his arms on the table, “It’s another person. I’m betting Kyuhyun.”

 

Sunggyu’s eyebrows furrow. Kyuhyun and Ryeowook have also been really close, probably because they went to the same school. But Sunggyu doesn’t know a lot about the guy, besides the fact that he’s Siwon’s cousin.

 

But why do they both feel that Jonghoon might have his heartbroken?


Chapter Notes: Originally, chapter 5 is Hyesung's p.o.v~ It became a filler chapter + it'll answer the question on what happened over Seungkwan & Seokmin's Epiphany play adaptation. Also, 3394 words!!! Somebody broke the longest update record 🤣

Anyway, I do hope you liked this update! Comments are very much appreciated~

Also shout out to the Inspirits subscribed in this story! Gyu's p.o.v will be up very soon- for now, let's have a convo between the eldest and 3rd Kim xD See you guys in the next update!

Follow me on my Twitter: @hyesunggyeols (stan) / @codenametitanic (writing)