Chapter 9

Prospect

The class hall is packed with students today. Students came streaming in from the main door, unfamiliar faces taking the front seats. Seokjin always attended broadcasting media class and well aware of how few seats would be taken most of the time.

 

Someone rushes to sit beside him — he’s seated at the farther end of the hall, a few rows away from the board — and sits down rather sloppily. “Yah, I can’t believe Taekwoon hyung and Hakyeon hyung are dating!”

 

Seokjin glances at his seatmate lazily, “They just managed to tell it now, huh?”

 

“I’m so frustrated! I thought me and Taekwoon had a thing! I can’t believe I— what do you mean they just managed to tell it now?”

 

Even though he senses the anger fuming in his voice and his eyes, Seokjin still grinned at his seatmate/best friend’s actions. It’s wrong but he couldn’t help reaching out to pat the top of his seatmate’s head. “Yah Kim Seokjin, tell me something I don’t know.”

 

“Wonshik told me the two are dating even before uni started,” Seokjin answers as he leans back comfortably in his seat, “It’s not that much of a surprise now, Jaehwannie. Although I do feel bad that you thought there was something between you and Taekwoon hyung.”

 

Jaehwan slumps, resting his head on the table, “I can’t believe I flirted with him. I thought I had a chance! And then —”

 

“And then Hakyeon hyung came out of nowhere and tell everyone they’re dating,” Seokjin interrupts, looking at his seatmate’s direction, “They were planning to tell it to you back in the house party, but Taekwoon hyung didn’t show up.”

 

Jaehwan sighs, “He’s not into those things. And he doesn’t like stuffy house parties.”

 

“That party sure was stuffy,” Seokjin comments, and the two of them laugh.

 

Seokjin found his best friend in the form of Lee Jaehwan, one of Wonshik’s friends as well. Having the same age was a bonus, as they learned about it while playing a round of Mario Kart in his parents’ home. Jaehwan is the crazier version of Seokjin — he’s loud around people, he dances weirdly in parties, he tends to act like an old woman out of nowhere. Seokjin’s glad that he’s more tamed but still brings out his extroversion.

 

The professor arrives and a few more students rush inside. Seokjin’s eyes widen when he sees a familiar figure with a girl towing behind him. He blinks several times before the two settle a row away from him and Jaehwan. He absentmindedly nudges on Jaehwan and the latter nods knowingly.

 

“Oh, that’s Namjoon’s new girlfriend,” Jaehwan explains, “Didn’t know they go to this class.”

 

Seokjin stares at the two from behind. He’s aware that his ex-boyfriend found someone new, and good for him. Even though Namjoon didn’t tell him directly, Seokjin is glad that his friends managed to update him about that. And he shouldn’t feel sad. But why is it that when he finally sees it, he felt… lonely? Disappointed? Sad?

 

The longingness rushed into his system, drowning him with sudden ‘what if’s and ‘maybe’s. He shakes his head, removing thoughts that could only hurt him more. The professor’s voice boom into the speakers and his eyes already off from the two figures in front of him.

 

These thoughts could wait; he has advertisements to study about.

 


 

It started to rain.

 

And Sunggyu huffs in frustration.

 

Bad days are nothing for Sunggyu, shrugging them off like they’re no big deal. But today was a different one. Unluckily called on a graded recitation, the phone’s battery drained with no power bank or charger in hand, wallet left in the apartment. And now, he forgot to bring an umbrella.

 

Not really forgotten, but he intentionally left his umbrella. Because he thought it wasn’t going to rain.

 

And here he was, standing by the building’s entrance, praying that it would stop.

 

He has another class in 30 minutes in another building, and the rain wasn’t showing any signs of stopping. Running could be an option, but he can’t get sick — his law admission test is in the following month and the joint Christmas/university fair with SNU preparations is in full swing. And he didn’t know how in the world he landed in the program committee.

 

“Choi Siwon from the Seoul National University personally asked you to be in our team,” one of the officers from the committee — Choi Minho, as he introduced — told him a few days ago. Siwon could’ve just messaged him, but then again it feels impolite to burst into the room and announce that he’s joining the committee.

 

Sunggyu was never into those kinds of stuff. He veered away from anything extracurricular, mostly focusing on joining scholastic quizzes and debate competitions. Being a part of the student council and organizing a program was never on his radar.

 

Until his Siwon hyung came prancing along, throwing flower petals on his head, and he has no choice but to agree.

 

A flash of lightning followed by a deafening roar of thunder. He couldn’t leave the lobby in this state. With the rain pouring hard and consecutive lightning strikes, he relents, coming into terms that he’s not going anywhere.

 

The lobby is nearly empty. Sunggyu took this advantage to sit on one of the benches, clearing his mind, and accept that he would really be late. Or even he might not attend the class.

 

He sighs, fiddling with the corner of his textbook that was sitting quietly on his lap. How in the world did he forget to charge his phone, review his notes, and scour the apartment for his wallet?

 

, he thinks as he bows down, his forehead hitting the textbook, I’m distracted again, am I?

 

Last night was a whirlwind of emotions. Originally a discussion about Myungsoo's major project for media law, they both got carried away in catching up about their friends and the upcoming university fair.

 

"Wook hyung told me he'll be helping for the promotions committee," Myungsoo told him over the phone, "You might as well try to talk to him about the fair."

 

"He's in another committee, but let's see," Sunggyu said as he stared on his bed, playing with his comforter.

 

They continued to talk that night until Myungsoo stumbled on a topic that probably kept him up all night. “Hyung, did you know that Woohyun hyung likes you back?”

 

Sunggyu stayed silent, his eyes slowly bulging out of its sockets. How in the world did Myungsoo even know that he likes Woohyun?! He didn’t even tell anyone in their friend group about it!

 

“Don’t leave me hanging, Gyu hyung,” the younger one lazily said, aware that Sunggyu is speechless, “everyone knows you like him. But we don’t know if he returns the feelings. Apparently, Dongwoo hyung is good in cornering so we got the answer.”

 

God, Jang Dongwoo, Sunggyu swore in his mind, can you at least leave your best friend's love life alone?! Emotions came pulsing into his veins, his heart running so fast despite not even moving physically. He couldn’t process everything, anything, even something.

 

Admitting to having a crush on a guy who you think is your best friend is one thing, but learning about your feelings to other people is another.

 

“It’s obvious, hyung,” Myungsoo continued. Myungsoo and his psyching abilities.

 

“What do you mean ‘obvious’?” Sunggyu is surprised that he still has his voice. He heard a small sigh over the line.

 

“You act like a high school kid whenever you guys are together — no, let me finish first, hyung — The two of you act like lovesick high school students who are still debating whether to confess or not!” Myungsoo raised his voice, audibly annoyed by how oblivious his two friends are.

 

Sunggyu was speechless. Was he really blind, or was he not prepared to let his feelings be known to Nam Woohyun?

 

After the call, Sunggyu was left in deep thought. Someone broke into his hard and impenetrable emotional state, causing unexplainable sensations to run around his system. Successfully closed it off back in high school, he was surprised how Nam Woohyun effortlessly opened his heart. He’s a stubborn person, concealing them without noticing that it made its way into Sunggyu's personality and behavior.

 

The thunder clapped again, snapping Sunggyu out of his thoughts. Raindrops are still falling, albeit not that hard. He could probably still get into class. A little drizzle wouldn’t hurt him, right?

 

He hoists his bag on his shoulder, clutching on the textbooks that he has on his arms. Standing by the entrance of the building, he checks the clouds and the campus. He pulls his hoodie over his head and strides confidently outside of the building.

 

An umbrella slowly came into his vision, but no one walked beside him. An arm s around his waist, causing Sunggyu to hit the stranger with his textbooks.

  

“Wait, wait, hyung!” a familiar voice catches him off-guard, and he peeks to see familiar crescent-shaped eyes beaming at him.

 

Sunggyu’s heart leaps forward.

 

“Jonghoon hyung will kill me if I let you out in this drizzle,” Woohyun mutters as he takes Sunggyu’s side, an arm still wrapped around his waist and an umbrella on another.

 

Sunggyu was speechless. “Where did you come from?”

 

Woohyun spares him a glance, “I saw you walking. You forgot your umbrella again, huh?”

 

The older furrows his eyebrows. He was about to throw a snarky clap back, but he bites his tongue and smiles slightly instead. Their footsteps create a little song while walking on the puddles. "Thank you."

 

Woohyun looks at him and Sunggyu tries to hide the burning feeling in his cheeks. It could seriously kill a Kim Sunggyu — tender eyes as if he’s his world.

 

“You’re welcome,” Woohyun softly says and Sunggyu feels like the younger could kiss him right then and there. The thunderclaps again, the raindrops were beginning to fall hard again. They both break into a sprint, laughing and breathing heavily as they take refuge under a gazebo.

 

Today was, definitely, a bad day. But he doesn't mind it again, just like his usual bad days. As long as Nam Woohyun is there, he doesn't have any bad days.

 


 

The apartment complex is empty, the only sound ricocheting the area was the rain. Wonshik didn't mind it, as he also craves the silence.

 

Ever since the big move, silence has been a rare gem. While there were spurts of quiet and peace enveloping the apartment, the cousins wanted it longer. They had to it up, and accept the fact that the environment will always be noisy.

 

Wonshik loved these moments, so going home early and being the first one arriving is a luxury. On most days, he studies with noise-canceling headphones on. Today, the raindrops' soft tapping outside becomes his white noise.

 

Weekdays are mostly reserved for university and studying, so he didn't expect a call from Yoongi. He gruffly answers, "Yes?"

 

"Were you doing something?" Yoongi's voice echoes.

 

Wonshik immediately clears his throat, "Uh, no, no. It's fine."

 

Yoongi then starts to talk about his progress on Seokjin's new play. Wonshik's older brother always asks for Yoongi's help, since he's more experienced in these kinds of things. Even though Seokjin believes that his best friend could do it, Yoongi still turns to Wonshik's advice. He's not a music genius, but the younger has been exposed to musicals and plays and has been keeping touch with most composers.

 

"I'll let Jin hyung know later after I listen to it," Wonshik says as he puts down his pen, staring at the notes he scribbled, "But then again, Jin hyung would approve of anything you do so I believe this won't get any problems."

 

He hears Yoongi chuckle, "I still want to put my guard up."

 

Wonshik hears a short pause before his hyung starts to talk, "Anyway, Namjoon was wondering if you could help him with his multimedia arts project. He's been stuck and I couldn't take it."

 

The 5th Kim is actually not sure if he should accept the proposal. Kim Namjoon is one of his favorite Seokjin friends, but after the break-up, he didn't reach out again. Not because he's angry for breaking his hyung's heart, but it feels wrong to still be friends with his brother's ex at a time like this. Seokjin still doesn't want to talk about the break-up, indirectly instructing not to mention anything related to his ex before.

 

"I'll think about it," Wonshik leans back, crossing his other arm across his chest, "but I'll let him know if I'm taking it."

 

"Wonshik-ah," he hears Yoongi after another pause, breathing in deeply, "You're taking this project as yourself. You don't need Jin hyung's approval. It's been a while since you also got in touch with Joon."

 

It has been really a while since he and Namjoon talked. His subscribers have been asking him where Namjoon is. They continued to collaborate even after the break-up, but after what Seokjin said to him, he gradually drifted away.

 

He felt bad, and he realized that Seokjin shouldn't impose that on him. But then again, his brother let that out because of the intense emotions he had experienced during those times.

 

His eyes lands on a succulent that Seokjin gave him as a birthday present. You need more life in your room, he had said.

 

"I'll keep that in mind," Wonshik rubs his temple, he didn't really want to put up a fight with Yoongi, "you've been really cranky."

 

He hears Yoongi scoffs, "Yah. I'm still the same dude—"

 

"What if we put you up on a date, huh? I know someone," Wonshik teases, leaning forward and his arm resting on his desk.

 

"Stop with what you're thinking, Kim Wonshik," Yoongi threatens, but the younger knows how to make his friend agree with his shenanigans. It's been a while since Yoongi has dated someone. Sunggyu has told him that Sungjong is single — for a long time.

 

"But what about him and Yongguk hyung?" Wonshik had asked while folding the new laundry.

 

Sunggyu shrugged, "Apparently the split happened a few months ago, and he just got the guts to tell that to us."

 

"Hear me out, Yoong!" Wonshik is already on his feet, pacing back and forth in his room, "It's been a while since you went out with someone else. And just — Min Yoongi, hear me out! — try this one. If it didn't work then I won't set you up again. Ever!"

 

Silence registered in his ears and Wonshik hoped that the person on the other line was contemplating it.

 

"If you agreed to help Namjoon, I'll agree to this date. Deal?" Yoongi relents, but there was a tinge of hope in his voice. Wonshik grins triumphantly as he stares back at the succulent resting on his desk.

 

"Deal."

 


 

Rain has been falling heavily even when evening came. Supposedly their weekly movie night, the cousins retreated in their bedrooms to do their own businesses. Everyone was given an ultimatum to keep quiet since the stepsiblings would be reviewing or else Pilkyo wouldn't push through with their Busan Christmas vacation.

 

Jonghoon stares at his corkboard, filled with polaroid photos and knick-knacks that he has collected over the years. It was a struggle to stick the board into the wall, as it was originally stationed in his old bedroom; fortunately, he was able to assemble it properly — without the help of his spiteful eldest cousin.

 

The bedroom is empty. Sunggyu decided to work in the dining area. Pilkyo lazily flipped through his labor law reviewers. It's nice to have the room all to Jonghoon, but his thoughts weren't having it.

 

He was hurt that Ryeowook didn't tell him about his budding relationship with Kyuhyun. Fortunately, he wasn't the only one who was late in the news. Jungsoo was surprised as well, as he knows that Kyuhyun has his eyes on Sungmin. The latter has been all over KU and is in a serious relationship with his girlfriend.

 

Kyuhyun probably had given up on him.

 

Jonghoon sighs as he puts his head on his crossed arms. The revelation has been screwing him over. Worse, Ryeowook hasn't told him about it.

 

I thought we were best friends, Jonghoon thinks as he hides his face in his hands.

 

A small knock was heard and Jonghoon whips around to see Seokjin peeking. The 2nd Kim gestures him to enter, Seokjin settling on his bed with a notebook and a biology textbook in his arms.

 

"I was wondering if you could help me with this," Seokjin asks as he points on a title that, luckily, Jonghoon is familiar with, "I know I should do my own research but I couldn't understand it."

 

Jonghoon nods and takes the textbook in his hands, confidently explaining to him about the subject. The 2nd Kim is quite surprised with himself, as he still managed to let out all of the information. He made it easy for Seokjin to understand as well.

 

When the 4th Kim finally understood the topic, he thanks his Jonghoon hyung. "Can I stay here for a while though? Just in case if I, you know, have any more questions?" Seokjin asks cautiously. Seeing that papers and books are scattered on Jonghoon's desk, he might have been disturbing his older cousin.

 

Jonghoon agrees and he's glad that someone would accompany him in the room.

 

They shared a few minutes of silence, pen scratching on paper and pages softly flipping. The silence should help him calm down, but he's been so consumed with thoughts and realizations that he just had to let it all out.

 

Because of their hectic schedules, Jonghoon and Seokjin didn't have the luxury to follow-up their dates. The last time they were alone was before Seokjin started college. A lot of things have definitely happened and Jonghoon felt bad for not checking up on him often.

 

"Hey, uh, Jin-ah," Jonghoon calls out. He hears Seokjin hum in response, urging him to answer despite doing something in his hands.

 

The rain continues to create its song outside. Jonghoon thanks Mother Nature for making up his mind.

 

"What time's your first class tomorrow?"


Chapter Notes: I'm on a writer's block please send me inspirations >///< I've already started Chapter 11 but I couldn't continue it! Probably because I do have an idea but I couldn't get the right words 😩🤣 Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I'll see you on the next one :3

Follow me on Twitter! (@hyesunggyeols / @codenametitanic)