Chapter 6: Secret

Falling In Love, Again

Whoever said that things would eventually turn out right in the end was wrong... at least to Sinb. Yuju had just come inside the house and Sinb couldn't bear to hear any more of her conversation with Yerin- not wanting to overhear anything that would drop her spirits even lower than they already are. Right now, all that Sinb wanted to do was leave and stay away from them as far as possible.

 

What is happening to me? Why, me?

 

For all the things that have happened to Sinb so far in her life, she couldn't figure out what is happening to her right now. In the span of just a few weeks, so many thoughts and feelings ran through her for the first time in her life. Sinb thought about the sight of Yuju being with Yerin and something immediately ignited inside of the girl. Her eyes narrowed onto a random spot in the room and her hands clenched into fists.

 

What am I feeling angry for? I don't care if she wants to be with Yuju or whoever she wants! It doesn't matter to me anymore...

 

Yet truly deep inside the girl, it really does matter to her. She does more than just care about Yerin, she would do anything to just be in her arms once again. But what could she do? She's already as confused as ever about her emotions that she doesn't even know the first thing about controlling them.

 

Despite all of the possible outcomes she decided that she needed to do something- anything, before it was too late. Being the risk-taker she is, Sinb decided to wing it having no plan in mind on what she was going to do. Sinb finally got up off of Yerin's bed and opened the door to the voices of Yerin and Yuju conversing to each other.

 

"I asked you why the others aren't here." Sinb heard Yerin sounding a bit annoyed.

 

"I told you I don't know." Sinb slowly carried her footsteps through the hallway and towards their voices.

 

"Well, I am a bit worried about them. Could you at least show me a text from one of them?" Yerin asked. Sinb was relieved to know that they weren't talking about anything that she thought they would be, but still felt concerned. She walked slower and quieter to make sure that she could hear every syllable.

 

"Um... I think I deleted the text message of the conversation with them off of my phone..." Yuju responded and laughed after that. Sinb came up to the wall closest to where they were standing, but still out of view as she listened to the conversation perfectly clear as if she was standing right next to them.

 

"This isn't funny Yuju!" Yerin sounded more serious now. "They aren't responding to any of my texts either... Did you tell them something?"

 

"..."

 

"Yuju-ah!"

 

This situation was unnecessarily getting out of hand and someone had to stop this nonsense. What does Yuju have to hide anyway? This wouldn't have all happened if she had just told Yerin the reason why the others weren't here. But yet again, it was kinda nice seeing Yerin becoming not so fond of Yuju as she used to be before.

 

Stepping out of where she was secretly listening in to their conversation, Sinb walked towards the two of them. They were surprisingly still standing by the doorway and Yuju hadn't even taken her shoes off yet. Yuju opened and started, "I didn't-"

 

"That's enough Yuju-ah."

 

Yuju was cut short of her sentence and she looked over to see who the owner of the voice who interrupted her was.

 

"Yuju-ah, Yerin didn't invite you over so that you could argue with her. I think it would be best for all of us if you could please leave now." Sinb said in the nicest way possible.

 

Yuju didn't react to what Sinb said, she simply glared at them, her eyes moving back and forth between Sinb and Yerin.

 

"Fine. I'll leave if that's what you really want me to."

 

Sinb saw Yuju look at Yerin with some kind of hope in her eyes. Like she was wishing that Yerin would change her mind and tell her that she could stay. But to Sinb's relief, Yerin did not and Yuju returned back to her original state of being angry at the both of them. She went to the door and opened it. Halfway through the doorway she looked back and smirked.

 

"Don't be surprised if you find something new at school on Monday Sinb-ah. And Yerin..." Yuju paused. "Get in my way and I might just reveal that secret of yours to your good friend Sinb over here and maybe even to the entire school." She smirked.

 

Sinb glared coldly at Yuju. Sinb doesn't even know if she should believe Yuju's words, but when she looked at Yerin, she could see worry in her eyes.

 

If Yerin really had a secret that she was worried about people knowing, why is it that Yuju is the only one that knows?

 

"Have anything else you want to say to us?" Sinb asked.

 

With that last statement, Yuju smirked one last time and the door finally closed– She was finally gone.

 

"Finally, she's gone." Sinb said. "Are you alright Ye-"

 

Sinb looked over at Yerin and saw her eyes. But they didn't look the same to Sinb. These eyes were full of fear and anxiety– that glow of happiness she saw earlier in them had vanished.

 

Sinb didn't know why Yerin acted this way, but she didn't need to think twice before knowing that she needed to comfort her. She came forward and wrapped her arms around Yerin. To Sinb's surprise, Yerin reciprocated back to Sinb and held her arms around her even tighter with her face tucked away into Sinb's shoulder.

 

Sinb almost jerked backwards from Yerin's sudden action, but stopped herself. She embraced the girl back and enjoyed this comfort while it lasted. But Yuju's words kept replaying back in her head. As curious as she was, she knew that it wasn't any of her business getting into anyway.

 

Sinb's thoughts were soon interrupted by Yerin's phone ringing. The screen lit up and Sowon's name appeared at the top.

 

Yerin immediately broke the hug and quickly grabbed her phoneYerin immediately answered it. "Sowon-unnie!" Yerin yelled into the phone, "We were so worried about you guys and why didn't pick up any of my calls or texts? Yuju hinted that she must've done something bad to you guys and I got so worried!"

 

"Calm down Yerin-ah!" Sowon said in her reassuring voice. "We're all fine, don't worry. And about Yuju-ssi, yeah there's definitely something up about her, it's like she's become a completely different person. She told us that you said that you didn't want any of us coming over anymore and wanted all of us to just stay home. Guess that wasn't the case was it." Sowon explained. "Yuju managed to ruin the night for all of us."

 

"It's such a bummer, we were all going to have an awesome time together..." Yerin pouted, "I'll invite you guys over another time and I'll make sure Yuju doesn't know." Yerin looked at a clock on the wall, "Wow, it's already almost 8 PM... I'll talk to you soon Sowon and I'll see you on Monday. Bye!"

 

"Bye Yerin-ah!"

 

Yerin ended the call and she remembered that Sinb was still there. For a moment, neither of them wanted to be the first one to say something. Both girls were still taking in everything from what Yuju had said to what Sowon told them through the phone. Sinb was still curious about what Yuju said and worried about Yerin at the same time. On the other hand, Yerin was even more worried about Sinb and what Yuju might do to her, but also the fact that Yuju threatened to tell Sinb about her secret.

 

"Um... thanks Yerin for having me over today... I'll leave now." Sinb said awkwardly.

 

She grabbed her things and went out the door, the cold wind hitting against her face immediately. The sky was dark and the streets were empty. Sinb started walking in the direction of her house. Suddenly, she felt a soft hand grab onto her wrist and she stopped walking. Turning her head around, she met those same pair of eyes once more that day. 

 

Sinb froze in her spot. It was as though time froze and all she could hear was the sound of the cold wind blowing through the trees. Looking into Yerin eyes, she could see her face get closer and closer to hers. Sinb's body tensed up and heat rose to her cheeks until they were only a few inches apart. Sinb could feel Yerin's breath against her face, making her heart race and her face red.

 

This isn't right, I shouldn't be doing this. Not until I'm sure of what this means and if you even have true feelings for me. And definitely not in the open like this, even if it is dark outside... there might be someone who might see us.

 

As much as Sinb didn't want to, she forced her body to retract from Yerin's. She placed her hands on her shoulders and pushed her back lightly.

 

"I can't... I just can't."

 

And those were the last words that Yerin heard for the night.

 

Sinb ran back to her house in a full sprint, not daring to look back. She couldn't think straight and her mind was racing. In front of her house, she stopped to catch her breath. Strangely, the lights were on inside and the front door was unlocked. As she was opening the door to her house, she heard voices that she hasn't heard for a very long time: her parents were home.

 

Sinb was slightly glad that her curiosity for why her parents were home took away her thoughts about Yerin. Walking inside, she called out to them.

 

"Eomma... Appa... You're home?"

 

"Yes, Sinb... come here and sit down. We need to talk to you about something very important."

 

And those thoughts Sinb tried to forget came back... What if they saw me and Yerin outside the window? We don't live so far away... they would've been able to see us from out the window. And it didn't help that her parents' faces were so serious, it made her even more nervous of what they might say to her.

 

Sinb took off her shoes and walked over to her parents.

 

"Well... what is it?"

 

 

 


I finally finished editing this chapter and thanks to those who are still reading this waiting for more chapters to come. After over 1 year after I started writing this, I finally came back to it. Thanks for reading my story and maybe in the future, I might continue it or just start over with a brand new story. See you all soon. - SK