YOUR FRIEND

LAVENDER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

Joy steps forward and making everyone look at her. She looks at them with sad eyes before saying, “I remember.”

“It’s you?” Yeri said looking at Joy.

“The little girl on the hill…” Everyone looks at her holding their breath.

Yeri looks confused. “Wait, so who is it?”

Joy looks at Irene. “Unnie, don’t you remember that little girl?”

“What little girl?” Irene asks.

“You know the one?”

Yeri looks a Joy, “What girl? Why don’t I know any of this? Some just please spit it out already.”

Seulgi lets go of Joy’s hand and steps back. She sits down on the chair nearby.

Joy looks at her with sad eyes. “Sorry, Seulgi unnie. Are you okay?”

“I just…I’m not sure…I mean…I don’t know.”

Joy looks at Irene with sad eyes. “Unnie?”

"IT'S REALLY YOU?" Yeri almost screamed.

Everyone waits quietly for an answer.

“It’s me?” Irene said quietly but loud enough for everyone to hear as she finally registers it. They look at her surprised.

Irene looks at Jisoo for confirmation, who is smiling. They all look at her, she only nods to confirm the truth.

Irene frowns confused. “It was such a long time ago. I must’ve forgotten all about after all these years but still, I’ve never told anyone else this story other than Joy. How would Wendy know?”

“It’s a story only the two people in it would know.” Jisoo said.

“Unnie, what’s the story?” Yeri asks.

Irene recalls the memory, “It was such a long time ago. There was a beautiful hill that I used to go to with mom every day when you two were still young. It was our place. We would go and have a picnic there, sing, dance, laugh, and just enjoy the sunset. Sadly, one day, she got into a car accident and passed away. I was really sad ever since that day but I continued to go there every day hoping I'd see her again. I knew I’d never see her again but I had hoped I would one day. On her birthday, I went there and cried for a long time. I remember, while I was crying, a little girl came and sat with me. She gave me a small glass bottle with something in it. When I asked her why she gave it to me, she said…”

 

 

 

 

FLASHBACK:

 

(Little Seungwan and Joohyun talk.)

“What is it? Wy are you giving it to me?” Joohyun asks.

“It’s a flower. Do you know what it means?”

Joohyun shakes her head.

“It means to be calm…so whenever you feel sad, it’ll make you smile and feel calm so you won't feel sad anymore.” The girl said.

“How do you know?”

“Because my mommy told me and it smells nice.” The girl says with a smile.

Joohyun opens the lid and smells it. She looks at the girl and smiles.

“See. Doesn’t it smell nice?” The girl asks.

“I like it. It makes me feel warm.” Joohyun says.

“I’m Seungwan.”

“I’m Joohyun.”

“I don't like seeing you cry. Why are you crying?"

"I miss my mommy."

"Where is she?"

Joohyun points to the sky. "She's in heaven now. That's why I'm sad because I have no one now."

Seungwan looks at her and smiles. "You have me. I’ll be by your side forever so you won’t have to cry anymore.” Seungwan says.

“What if you forget about me?” Joohyun says with tears in her eyes.

Seungwan hugs her. “I’ll never forget you. I promise."

“Me too.”

Seungwan lets go and smiles at her.

Joohyun smiles as she clutches onto the jar.

 

END FLASHBACK.

 

 

 

 

“But the girl I met was named Seungwan.” Irene said with a confused expression.

“Who is Seungwan?” Yeri asked.

“Seungwan is Wendy’s Korean name. After that day, Wendy 's parents had sent her to Canada to study abroad despite her protests. That’s where she got her English name, Wendy.” Jisoo explained.

"If what you and Jisoo said is true then that bottle that you always keep on your desk, that you wouldn't let me touch, is the one she gave you then, right?"

Irene nodded and Seulgi understood. She wasn't mad. She was sad that she didn't know.

“If Seungwan is Wendy unnie then that means; Irene unnie, your first love is…” Joy says surprised as she looks at Irene.

“Wendy." Irene finished.

"What happened after she went to Canada?" Yeri asks.

"I didn't know she left for Canada. Every summer I would go and wait there for her but she never came so I thought she left me. I thought she lied to me but after all these years hearing about this, it turns out she was here the entire time. She never left. She really was by my side all this time.” Irene said as tears spilled from her eyes.

“Unnie…?” Yeri said softly.

“If she was Seungwan all this time, why didn’t she tell me? … I guess, she did forget me.” Her voice trails.

“Actually…” Jisoo said.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter