Chapter 26; New places and new faces

Red Lines

  AUTUMN ; September

Friday -- Morning

 

“That’s it!”

Jiyoo and Jungkook flinch as a pile of newspapers were thrown to the ground. It only shocked them for a brief moment before they went back to watching tv, their eyes glazed over as the commercials played on. The two were on break for the summer and so far, they’ve only hung out at home. No pool, no mall- no nothing. It didn’t bother them in the slightest, but it sure pissed off Jungkook’s father.

“School’s been out for a two months and you guys haven’t done anything but stay home and play games.” Jungkook’s father says, not amused by Jiyoo and Jungkook’s ‘amazing’ summer. In fact, it wasn’t even summer anymore. School was starting tomorrow and Jiyoo and Jungkook pretty much wasted their summer away.

“We went out to eat with Namjoon and the others just the other day.” Jungkook sighs.

His father shakes his head, “That’s because I forced you two to get out of the house. You both came home right after that, right?”

Silence confirmed his answer and he could only mimic his son’s exhausted sigh. They did get closer to the others over the summer, but that was only because they ended up coming over to the house often enough. Suga’s attitude loosened up and Jiyoo was pretty much comfortable with being friends with them. Having to deal with their energy was another story, but at least she wasn’t shying away from them like before.

 

There’s a brief moment where Jiyoo and Jungkook were able to go back to lazing around. It lasted just a moment, barely giving them enough time to relax before Jungkook’s father had returned.

“Get ready to go out.” He announced. Pulling out his wallet, he gave the remaining amount of cash inside to Jungkook before pushing his son off the couch and taking his spot.

“Where are we going?” Jiyoo asked, stretching her arms above her head. They really didn’t do anything that day, so a good stretch was badly needed.

“You two are going to the guys’ house.” Jungkook’s father says, “and I’m staying home.”

“I didn’t know they lived together.” Jungkook says confusedly.

Jiyoo had the same confused look on her face, though they couldn’t really argue that nobody told them. They never asked in the first place. The two headed upstairs to freshen up; Jiyoo had already brought clothes over to Jungkook’s house in case they’d ended up going out- which was never. The clothes she’d brought were just sitting in Jungkook’s dresser since the beginning of summer.

“I thought you said you didn’t like Namjoon’s outfit?” Jungkook asks with a raised eyebrow. There was white foam around his lips from brushing his teeth. Jiyoo sticks her tongue out and begins to change.

“It’s the only one that would be good for summer. It’s too hot outside.” She sighs.

Jungkook thinks back on the outfit he’d chosen and immediately regrets it. He’ll admit that he was jealous that Jiyoo wore the other’s outfits, but not the one he’d picked. Then again, the shorts were a bit on the shorter side.

“Are you ready?” Jiyoo shouts from the hallway, giving Jungkook no time to feel sorry for himself.

He rinses his mouth with water and runs down the stairs to put on his shoes. She didn’t give him any time to feel sorry for himself, the two heading off to the address that Jungkook’s father had oh so kindly sent to him after taking over the tv.

 

--

 

Jiyoo and Jungkook paid no mind to Taehyung when he’d opened the door for them. They were too distracted by the cool air that gently hit them in the face as soon as the front door swung open.

“You guys have AC?” Jiyoo sighs, already relishing the cool air as she stumbled to take off her shoes.

Jungkook said nothing as he kicked off his sneakers. Seeing that the two would’ve just waited in the shoe area since the AC could be felt from there, Taehyung sighs. “Well don’t just stand there. Let’s go.”

He doesn’t miss the way that Jiyoo’s hand lifts up, prompting him to take her where they needed to go in her hazy state of bliss. Taehyung gladly linked his hand with hers and pulled her along, amazed that Jungkook was just following behind without saying anything. Jungkook was holding Jiyoo’s other hand, but still- Taehyung was just giddy knowing that Jiyoo was so close to him for once.

 

“Hey guys!” Seokjin says happily, scrolling through his feed on his phone. When he didn’t hear a response, he locks his phone and looks up to find the youngest three rolling around in the carpet. “Guys?”

“What’s wrong with them?” Namjoon says, squinting at how lax the three looked on the floor.

“Taehyung is just being Taehyung.” Jimin says, “I don’t think Jiyoo and Jungkook knew that we had AC.”

“Yeah! Why did you tell us?” Jungkook tries to whine, though his voice came out as a hushed whisper. He was too happy with the cold air to bother being upset.

“You never asked.” Suga shrugs, going back to enjoying the AC himself.

 

Since they were on the floor, Jungkook could only curl up next to Jiyoo as he felt his eyelids droop. She too, started to feel sleepy. The only thing different about her situation was that she had Jungkook cuddling up to her from the front and Taehyung squishing himself behind her as close as he could go. It made her back feel really warm, even warmer than having Jungkook’s warmth hugging her from the front.

Jiyoo realized this over the course of a week or so, but something was different about Taehyung. He no longer seemed as scary and annoying as she pegged him to be when she first met him. He was goofy for sure, but not a terrible person. It made Jiyoo want to be close with him just like how she was with Jungkook, but at the same time, there was something more that caused her to flock to Taehyung’s side.

 

His fingers curled around a strand of Jiyoo’s hair, continuously twisting until it became tight around his pointer finger. Taehyung would then release her hair before repeating the process. A light smile graced his lips as he continued to play with her hair.

“I love you.” Taehyung sighs, his voice reaching barely over whisper.

Since Jiyoo was laying down right in front of Taehyung, she heard him loud and clear. The warmth from her back spread to the front of her body, covering her face with a deep red flush.

What was she supposed to say to that?

Jiyoo didn’t love Taehyung, or at least not romantically. She didn’t exactly love him like how she loved Jungkook either. The silence felt awkward to her and the only thing she could do was burrow herself into Jungkook, who was happy to pull her away from Taehyung. He didn’t do much after though. The AC was turning him into a sloth, his body becoming weak under the cool air in the room.

 

The others heard Taehyung and they knew that Jungkook heard him, yet his passive stance was almost baffling. Was this the same Jungkook that literally dragged Jiyoo away from them when they tried to say? What’s going on?

“Just kidding.” Taehyung chuckles, snuggling closer to Jiyoo as she tries to push him away.

Even though Jungkook’s eyes were closed as he tried to sleep, his body visibly relaxed. Looks like he was holding back a snarky comment, but seeing that Taehyung conceded by default, he backed off.

 

Taehyung’s joke got Jiyoo good. She gave Taehyung a sharp jab to the ribs before proceeding to try and get comfortable. He was quick to recover since Jiyoo didn’t hit him that hard.

Was Taehyung being serious about his confession? Why had her opinion of him change so quickly when she used to be afraid of him? Did she enjoy his touch? Too many thoughts were running through her mind for her to come to a conclusion. She was too tired to think about it all and ended up falling asleep between Jungkook and Taehyung, the three of them going off into dreamland before Seokjin could warn them to sleep in one of the rooms.

“I swear, they’re like kids.” Seokjin sighs. He wanted them to at least go upstairs and sleep in the guest bedroom if anything. Now they just had a pile of teenagers knocked out in the middle of their living room.

“It’s alright hyung.” Jimin’s voice came from the hallway, causing Seokjin to turn and see the latter with a bunch of comforters and pillows in his arms. “They can just sleep with these.”

As long as they didn’t get sick, Seokjin really could care less where they slept. The fluffy white comforter in Jimin’s hands looked almost inviting and Seokjin nods, helping Jimin set up the blankets over the younger ones before laying on the floor with them.

“And you said they were like kids.” Namjoon scoffs, though he has a smile on his face meaning no harm.

Seokjin waves him off with a few flicks of his wrist, closing his eyes to get some rest before tonight. They didn’t mention it to Jiyoo and Jungkook since the two had fallen asleep so early, but they were going to go to the fireworks festival that night. It would be weird to tell them to go home, especially when Jungkook’s father had specifically sent them out of the house. They might as well take them along too, not like they’d mind.

 

Everyone ended up piling on the floor after Jimin brought out more blankets and pillows. Something about seeing the three youngest cuddled up together was inviting. Seokjin went to go lay down first, then Jimin. After Hoseok managed to squeeze himself in with Suga remaining on the end of the cuddle group.

It’s funny how they all ended up sleeping with one another. It’s said that pack animals tend to sleep together, but even in a big cuddle puddle, the best sleeping arrangements are left for the alphas.

 

Namjoon, who was sleeping near Jiyoo’s head had somehow found himself cuddling up to her after she pushed Taehyung away for making it too hot. It was partially because Taehyung was sticking to Jiyoo like glue, but he had a slightly warmer temperature than the rest as well. They were all still asleep when this happened, leaving Namjoon and Jiyoo together for the time being.

 

--

 

Jiyoo woke up feeling a lot cooler compared how she’d fallen asleep. Looking around, she found Taehyung and Jimin huddled up next to one another; Taehyung was sleeping soundly while it almost appeared as though Jimin was sweating despite how the AC was running full blast. Jiyoo didn’t feel too hot, but she did feel a familiar warmth around her waist.

Jungkook had Jiyoo in his hold like usual. The only thing different about now was that there was some sort of prickling in her system. It was as if something were missing. She moves Jungkook’s arm and her body moves on its own, as if to curb the strange feeling. Being careful not to step on anybody in the process, Jiyoo makes her way towards what appeared to be the kitchen.

The boys’ had a nice house, but their kitchen looked even more beautiful than any other kitchen she’s seen. Even the ones on tv didn’t look as homey as this one. The door to the refrigerator was open and her curiosity got the better of her. Jiyoo walks over to the fridge and jumps as the door slams by itself, revealing Namjoon who was already drinking from a bottle of water.

He didn’t notice her in the slightest and her reaction made him shocked as well.

“S-Sorry, I didn’t know you were in here.” Jiyoo stutters, trying to calm her fluttering heart.

She could feel her heartbeat racing and places a hand over her chest, as if to stop it from doing so. Namjoon smiles sheepishly, having the same reaction. He noticed that her lips were a bit dry and handed over his bottle of water instinctively. Jiyoo took the bottle gratefully and took small, slow sips of the cold water. It definitely made her feel a bit more calm.

“Oh, damn.”

Jiyoo stops drinking and looks at Namjoon, who’s just staring at her intensely. Giving him a weird look, she caps the bottle. “What?”

 

“I gave you water on instinct, but I don’t know if you’re okay with sharing.”

Jiyoo didn’t realize that she and Namjoon had accidentally drank water from the same bottle. She looks down and then glances back up to look at Namjoon. He looked nervous and awaited her response.

“It’s okay..”

Namjoon doesn’t say anything, causing Jiyoo to speak again to fill the silence.

“I mean like, I do it with Jungkook.” Jiyoo says quickly. She tightens the cap and hands the bottle back to Namjoon, who takes it without a word. “And besides… We’re friends, right?”

Something there sparks in Namjoon. His hand comes out and he brushes Jiyoo’s hair, his hand gliding down the side of her head as he almost pets her. She does freeze up, but it doesn’t last for long.

 

The same thoughts she had about Taehyung returned, but instead of thinking of the so said boy, Namjoon’s face wouldn’t leave her mind. She didn’t want to just leave Namjoon hanging though. The thought of making him sad made her stomach twist. To curb this anxiety, she just trusted in her instincts and doesn’t shy away from his touch.

It sends ribbons of warmth spiraling throughout her body. The more longer Namjoon pets her head, the more she felt the need to have his affections. She pushes into his hand and enjoys how it feels for her to be touched by him, a small smile gracing her lips the more Namjoon pets her.

To think he was worried their relationship would shatter just from sharing a drink together. Seeing her so happy, he pulls her in for a short hug. It was very brief, but as they were in one another’s arms, the two could feel that they broke through another wall that weakened their relationship.

 

“Do you want to go see the fireworks with me?”

 

There’s a moment of silence before a flustered look appeared on Namjoon’s face, his cheeks turning red as he tries to make the situation a little less weird. “I-I mean, with us. Like you, me and the guys. It’s the ending of summer festival! Or would we consider it the beginning of fall..”

Hearing that there was some sort of special event, Jiyoo was much more intrigued. “Will there be games and snacks?”

“I think so..” Namjoon rubs his chin as he tries to recall what he saw on the fliers around town. “Like the swirled potato on a stick and stuff.”

“Woah no way!”

Jiyoo was super excited now. Her hands curled into fists as she pumped them slightly, as if she’d won the lottery. “So when are we going? Right now? Should I wake the others up?”

Namjoon smiles but shakes his head. “They’re probably going to wake up in a bit, so let them rest.”

Jiyoo frowns, but doesn’t disobey. Seeing her sulk made Namjoon think she looked even cuter. He lifts his hand to her hair again and chuckles when Jiyoo is quick to move into his touch like before.

“You can rely on me too Jiyoo-yah.”

All of his patience, all of the times he’d gone out of his way to help her. Namjoon only wanted Jiyoo to see him as Kim Namjoon, not the scary leader that he’d believed she thought he was. Deep down inside, he was still worried that all of this skinship would inevitably push her away.

 

“We might not be as close as I am to Jungkook..” Jiyoo says softly. There’s a small smile on her face as she keeps her head down to avoid letting Namjoon see the small flush on her face. “But I can definitely trust you.”

He didn’t need to look at her face to know that she was happy. Jiyoo’s pheromones made the smell of wine tickle Namjoon’s nose. It calmed him a bit, his body feeling much more lax and less anxious.

 

Namjoon didn’t understand how someone could have this kind of effect on him, especially when she wasn’t even his mate or anything like that. He internally thanks Seokjin for pushing them to get closer to Jiyoo and Jungkook, even when everyone wasn’t too keen on being friends in the beginning.

They spent the remaining time together before the others woke up, talking about miscellaneous things. Jiyoo found out that Namjoon really enjoyed reading. And although she didn’t read that much, she did enjoy it a lot as a child. She was more of a game child now thanks to Jungkook’s influence.

“Just don’t let that guy pull you into doing anything you don’t want to do.” Namjoon warns, though his tone isn’t too harsh. There’s a hidden meaning to his words, mostly due to how Jiyoo gets babied by Jungkook too much, but he doesn’t push it any more than that.

“He won’t.” Jiyoo says without a doubt in her voice.

“I know.” Namjoon chuckles, “You two are too close for that.”

Jiyoo nods her head and lets the atmosphere sink in for a bit. She and Namjoon were sitting side by side on the kitchen counter; It was something that Namjoon knew Seokjin would kill him for, but since he was asleep, no damage would be done (as long as he didn’t touch anything else). They sit in the comfortable silence.

 

It’s the same feeling she felt with Taehyung when they were playing laser tag. The feeling of having the emptiness in her be filled. She knew deep down that the indescribable urge to be with the guys had something to do with their relationship towards one another, but she was still scared to ask about mates again.

This was something she just wanted to enjoy without worrying about anything. Even if that meant she couldn’t have a mate.

 

 

A/N: So much for updating more often ahahaa.. Hello I guess? I am really really REALLY sorry for not saying anything for the past few months zzz I've been.. Busy.. No, not really. Just lazy and doing bad things in college ahaha

 

So how this is gonna work is I'll upload the rest of the chapters that I've written and go from there on whether or not I want to continue the story. I loved the idea at first, but then I realized that it's a little too complicated? And that I have mentions of in some of my chapters? Which I feel really bad about and kinda don't wanna finish this story about hhmnmm....

 

Thank you to those that always supported this story since day one! I've let you down, but you haven't let me down and it's really shocking because I'm a terrible person aHaha. But besides the self deprecating humor, I really am grateful that some of you genuinely enjoyed the story. Seeya next time ^^