Chapter 21; My hero

Red Lines

  SPRING; May

Wednesday -- Morning

 

“What do you mean I can’t be on the same team as Jiyoo?”

The instructor lets out a sigh, looking at the rest of the boys before walking away from an exasperated Taehyung. He claimed that nobody told him that quarterly testing meant that he wasn’t able to be in the same team as Jiyoo.

“We told you that we have to go through basic testing before you can play actual games.” Namjoon grumbles. His eyebrows were knit together as Taehyung continued to stand there and complain about the rules that nobody here had any authority to change.

“Then why does Yugyeom get to play in the same game as Jiyoo?” Taehyung practically screams.

The malice in his voice was easily detected, but again, nobody could change the rules.

 

“It’s okay Taehyung,” Jiyoo tries to reassure him, giving the latter a few pats on the back. “You just have to finish your basic testing and then you can come and do whatever you like.”

That wasn’t really what was going to happen, but hearing it come from Jiyoo’s mouth was assuring enough. Taehyung lets out a small grunt and trudged his way over to Jiyoo. His long arms latched their way around her torso as he pulled her into a hug. The moment lasted only for a brief few seconds before he’d left with Namjoon and the rest to do their basic training. Jiyoo watches them leave and feels something pull at her chest. It was small and almost insignificant, and yet Jiyoo still felt the need to say something about it.

“He’s so clingy.” Jungkook grumbles, doing the exact same thing as Taehyung as he hugged Jiyoo from behind.

The weird feeling in her chest left her and Jiyoo could only sigh. “He seems more mellowed out these days. And less weird.”

Jungkook lets out a small hum before lacing his fingers with Jiyoo’s. Together they walk over to where the rest of the guys were supposed to do their basic testing. Suga was up first to do the pacer run. He’d done fairly well at pacing himself between the beeps of the narrator, not missing a beat even as the test sped up. Of course Suga didn’t push himself any more than he’d need to. As soon as he’d hit 80 or so, he’d walked off towards the benches to take a break. Technically it meant he was “unable” to run anymore, but judging by the way that he sat down and boredly picked at his nails, that wasn’t the case.

 

Next up was Namjoon. He’d ended up starting off at the vertical jump. The poor guy got an earful from the instructor as soon as he’d begun, getting practically shredded apart for accidentally breaking the plastic bars off the measuring pole. Sure Namjoon practically hit the max for the test, but seeing that he broke it completely also meant they couldn’t exactly measure how good he was.

 

“Fight! On! Fight! On!”

Jiyoo lets out a small chuckle seeing Hoseok shake his pom poms off near the cheer squad. For some reason, the school had put him and Jimin as cheerleaders, or cheer boys as they’d liked to call it. Cheerleaders seemed too “feminine” for their tastes. Jimin cheered alongside his friend, but anybody could tell he was embarrassed. Whether he was embarrassed about Hoseok’s booming voice or the fact that he was being forced to wear shorts that were riding up his , both seemed like plausible reasons why his face was so red. Still, he kept his composure and fought on to do what he’d been assigned to do.

Seokjin was by far the luckiest. He’d been selected to be one of the helpers on the health committee. Since he was a helper, not only did he get to relax under one of the tents, but he didn’t have to do basic testing due to his advanced background on medical knowledge.

“I think my dad mentioned to the school that Seokjin was only here for extra education.” Jungkook whispers, avoiding Seokjin’s eyes as he’d spilled the beans. “I’m pretty sure the school thinks he just flunked though.”

“My my, you don’t look that sick Jungkook.”

Seokjin’s actions processed faster than Jungkook’s reflexes, getting him a smack on the head by Seokjin. For Jiyoo on the other hand, Seokjin pulled out a small lollipop from his white health committee coat and handed it to Jiyoo.

“I’m sick of you hyung.” Jungkook coughs, pretending as though his slightly mean words hadn’t escaped his lips.

 

“Jiyoo! Jungkook!”

The two turn to find Taehyung bouncing over to where they stood. He was sweating a lot more than someone who had only done basic testing should be sweating, but nonetheless still had a large grin on his face.

“I’m done with my basic testing!” He says proudly, huffing in between words as he’d tried to speak despite being out of breath. “They said I can play soccer with you guys now!”

Jungkook uses his fingertips to cover the smile on his lips as he held back a chuckle that still managed to escape. Jiyoo’s wide eyes gave it away that something was wrong as well. Not liking that he was out of the circle, Taehyung spoke up again. “What? What did I do?”

“It’s not something you did,” Jiyoo says quickly, dismissing the notion that what was going on was Taehyung’s fault. “But only Jungkook is playing soccer. I’m on the capture the flag team, remember?”

The confused expression instantly slid off Taehyung’s face as he burned red from anger and embarrassment. Anger, because he wasn’t going to be close to Jiyoo again, and embarrassment because she had to see him make a fool of himself.

“Oh..” His eyes were downcast and Taehyung looked disappointed.

The same weird feeling in Jiyoo’s chest returned again, but instead of just letting it go, she acted on it. She wrapped her arms around Taehyung’s waist and hugged him gingerly, her face pushing into his chest as she’d hugged him. Taehyung returned the gesture as well. It was as if all of his anger had washed away, allowing him to enjoy feeling Jiyoo in his arms more than anything. The happiness ended when she pulled away, but he wasn’t disheartened by it. If anything, he was excited. He knew that if she was willing to hug him now, she’d be willing to do it more in the future.

Which was something he’d like a lot.

“Go and win lots of points, alright?” Jiyoo says, looking at Jungkook and Taehyung who only then realized that they were on a team together.

The two take a moment to eye each other for a bit before breaking eye contact. Jungkook let out a sigh, but still nodded his head to Jiyoo. Taehyung on the other hand was as happy as could be. He pulls Jiyoo and Jungkook into a group hug before he and Jungkook walked off to their designated area, leaving Jiyoo to join her team for capture the flag.

 

--

 

It was just as she’d predicted. Her team was full of kids with soulless expressions on their faces due to the anxiety of what was to come in their game of capture the flag. Technically their teams were split into red vs. blue; Yugyeom and Joohyun were on the red team while Jiyoo was on the blue team. It didn’t make it any better that almost all of Jiyoo’s entire team was full of Omegas, meaning that they were most likely up against Alphas and that they were going to get smashed.

 

Before Jiyoo could bring herself down anymore than she already had for the past few days, a loud whistle brought her out of her sad thoughts. Her head tilts up to where one of the instructors sitting up on a high chair. The bored expression on the referee’s face gave it away that he didn’t really care about the outcome of the game, nor if it was unfair or not.

“Split into your teams and on my whistle, you start!” The instructor’s voice boomed. He waited a good three seconds before he’d blown the whistle, well aware that nobody was really ready, but he didn’t care.

Jiyoo felt a chill run down her spine. Barely turning her head forward, she saw eyes watching her every move.

 

Capture the flag was supposed to be a fun way to promote teamwork among the students. Of course reality was never what the school said it was; There were no belts with flags for students to pull to send other students back on their corresponding sides, meaning that anybody that wasn’t quick enough was roughly pushed into the fake turf. For Alphas, that wasn’t really a problem. Their pheromones could create a shield to prevent them from being jostled around too much. The Omegas on the other hand were oozing with fear. There was no sort of teamwork going on on their team and every single Omega knew that it was every man for themselves.

“Watch out!” Hoseok shouts from the sidelines.

Since he knew Jiyoo was playing in the capture the flag game, he’d went over to cheer for the students there. He really just wanted to watch over Jiyoo, and boy was he glad he did.

Jiyoo was being dragged like a ragdoll. Hoseok was baffled that Alphas played with such low class. It shocked him even more that the Omegas on Jiyoo’s team were shoving her in front to save their own asses, further causing Hoseok’s anger to rise. It wasn’t like she was helpless; Jiyoo knew how to run decently well and understood which side had the flag. Her lacking teammates prevented her from showing off that skill though, causing her to look just as useless as the rest of the team. When Jiyoo was pushed for the 10th time that minute, Hoseok took matters into his own hands.

Since she was hovering near the sidelines, it was easy for him to cheer around the area that she was in and emit his pheromones around the area. With the amount of Alpha pheromones that were swirling around, Jiyoo had no idea that Hoseok was helping her. She just thought that he was cheering for her.

He managed to save her for a good half of the game before some of the others began to notice. Yugyeom of course, kept his distance from Jiyoo along with Joohyun, who wasn’t too happy to see her being babied by Hoseok. Joohyun hated the way that the boys liked to dote on Jiyoo; It was a mix of jealousy and blind hatred for Jiyoo, mostly because she was always around when things didn’t go Joohyun’s way.

Joohyun walks over to the referee, putting on a sad face as she gets his attention. “Sir, I’m kind of sad that some of the Omegas- I mean, opposing students don’t want to play with us.” She bat her eyelashes and emit a bit of her pheromones, a sweet sickly smell fanning through the air as the referee’s posture changed.

He sat up and blew his whistle, pointing at any of the Omegas that were taking refuge in Hoseok’s pheromone shield. “You guys! Play the game or get suspended, you decide!”

Jiyoo sighs and steps closer to the center of the field away from Hoseok’s protection. His cheerful expression falls as Jiyoo walks away from him, unaware of how things were going to get a lot harder for her now that nobody was protecting her.

 

The first person to take advantage of Jiyoo’s open state was Joohyun. She grabbed one of the blue flags from one of the Omegas that tried to pass by and threw it over to where Jiyoo stood. The blue flag fell right in between Jiyoo’s feet. Jiyoo looked up and saw a rather large group of Alphas ready to charge at her, their eyes burning red almost like the color of their flags.

To her surprise, someone had picked up the blue flag and ran off before she could be mauled by the crowd of students. She saw another student with black hair quickly run off with the flag.

“T-Thanks!” She barely managed to yell before the student had turned around, revealing it to be Taemin from the soccer game.

He gives her a small wave of his hand before running towards the sidelines, practically shaking his arm off trying to get Jimin’s attention to look at him. Jimin gives him a thumbs up and manages to shoot a small smile at Jiyoo. The action made her smile too. It was nice knowing that Jimin might’ve had something to do with her being saved like last time.

Joohyun on the other time was fed up with everything. She took matters into her own hands and ran over to where Jiyoo was. Being disguised with a crowd of Alphas chasing an Omega for their flag, Joohyun blended in with the crowd before she was close enough to Jiyoo. Joohyun put her shoulder forward before ramming right into Jiyoo with all of her body weight.

To make matters worse, another Omega on Jiyoo’s team was using Jiyoo as a shield. She’d seen Joohyun coming for Jiyoo, but said nothing to save her own skin. It resulted in Jiyoo tripping over the girl behind her, flailing her arms to try and catch herself before she’d tumbled awkwardly to the floor.

 

Jiyoo’s vision was disoriented and she managed to see Joohyun’s vicious smile under the blinding light of the sun. Her perception of time was skewed, leaving her to wonder how long Joohyun was looking down on her until a shadow looked over her.

“Jiyoo, are you alright?” Yugyeom asks anxiously. His voice was loud and echoed in Jiyoo’s ears. It made her eyes shut from the pain that rattled her brain. While she was trying to keep herself conscious, Yugyeom was already beginning to help her sit up.

He managed to grab another flag for his team when he’d managed to see Joohyun knock the life out of Jiyoo at the other end of the field. Distance meant nothing to Yugyeom, and he’d dashed right over to Jiyoo’s side where he was now. Gently cradling her in his arms, Yugyeom waited for Jiyoo to come to her senses. By now many of the other boys had seen what happened and were clearing the area, whether they were apart of the game or not.

 

“What the hell? You’re on my team Yugyeom!” Joohyun screams, her face sweaty and red unlike her usual look.

“You’re an Alpha too, but that doesn’t give you any right to act like a stuck up either.” Yugyeom hisses, using his free arm to push Joohyun away.

Joohyun barely had time to gasp before Hoseok and Jimin put an even bigger gap between her at Jiyoo. They weren’t going to tolerate Joohyun’s bull any longer, especially when something like this has already happened before.

“Back off.” Jimin says lowly, his eyes dark as he glares at Joohyun.

Hoseok holds his tongue, but doesn’t hold back from pushing Joohyun away with his pheromones. Once Joohyun had backed off enough, his attention was back on Jiyoo who was finally starting to regain her senses.

“How does someone that small hit so hard?” Jiyoo groans, holding her sore shoulder.

“That fat cow almost ran you over.” Yugyeom grumbles, “Be more careful next time.”

Yugyeom helped Jiyoo back onto her feet and held her hand even as she stood up. There was something wrong with how she was standing, but he didn’t have any time to ask before her hand left his own.

 

“S-Suga!” Jiyoo gasps, letting out a small grunt as her stomach was lifted onto his shoulder. He held her like a sack of rice and walked off even as she argued for him to put her down. “What are you doing?”

“Shut up, you idiot.” Suga growls, stopping Jiyoo’s tantrum instantly.

He continues to walk off the field and back to the school without listening to what anyone had to say. Jiyoo felt a bit bad, especially Yugyeom had been so kind as to help keep her safe after she’d fallen. She waves at Yugyeom and mouths a ‘thank you’ to him. Jiyoo managed to catch the smile that graced his face before Suga had changed Jiyoo's position, sliding her from his shoulder into her arms.

“Your foot was kicking me.” Was all he said before the conversation died down.

He continued walking until reaching the health room. Nobody was in the room since all health personnel was stationed near the field where the quarterly testing was being held. Suga placed Jiyoo down on the counter before pulling his phone out and texting someone. He typed quickly and by the time Jiyoo had gotten bored of looking around at the room, he was already done.

He sat on the health instructor’s chair before rolling over to Jiyoo. Motioning for her foot to come up, she gently lifts her foot and lets out a sharp scream as he brings a hand up and slaps her ankle.

“What was that for?” Jiyoo whines, feeling the pain shoot up to her knee.

“For pretending that you didn’t sprain your ankle out there, dimwit.”

Suga sighs and begins to unlace Jiyoo’s shoes. Once he’d managed to loosen up her shoelaces enough, he slowly slid off her red converse and tossed it behind him with a grimace. He never liked converses after all. That, and he thought she was downright stupid for wearing shoes like these to an athletic event.

Pulling down Jiyoo’s sock, Suga does his best to use the sports tape to hold her ankle in place. He messed up a few times and curse words slipped from his lips every time he had to peel back the tape. Jiyoo had to hold her breath from the pain that tinged in her ankle.

When he’d finally finished, he’d been nice enough to slide her sock back on her foot.

 

“You can’t wear your shoes for a while. Your foot might swell and get stuck.” He mutters, grabbing Jiyoo’s shoe and placing it on the floor in front of her.

“Thank you.” Jiyoo mumbles, her eyes looking down at how nicely Suga patched her foot up.

She was unaware of the frown on Suga’s face as she stared down at her foot. Placing his fingers under her chin, Suga lifts her face up so that they were looking at one another. The height of the counter made Jiyoo just a bit shorter than Suga when he stood up.

“Why can’t you say it nicely to me like how you did to Yugyeom?” He says, his voice dropping to a whisper.

Jiyoo can practically hear her heart beating fast in her ears. It was only them in the room, and Jiyoo could only look at Suga, her eyes shaking the longer he stared at her.

“Thank you, Suga.” She said softly, her eyes not leaving his own.

They shared a moment together, just silently looking at one another. The sound of quick thumping was what pulled Suga away from Jiyoo, causing him to sit on the nurse’s chair again before the door to the health room had been yanked open.

 

“Jiyoo!” Jungkook sighed in relief. “You’re okay, thank god.”

He goes right up to Jiyoo and smushes her cheeks together, causing her to pull back. Not only was he pinching her cheeks too hard, but his thigh was rubbing against her foot, causing her to be in pain.

Jungkook was pulled back from Taehyung who practically glomped himself over Jiyoo. He made the same mistake of pushing against her sore ankle, ignoring her cries for him to let go until Suga had forcibly pulled him away.

“I texted you guys that she hurt her ankle! Be careful!” Suga scolds them, ending with a small scowl before he walked off the nurse’s office and into the hallway.

“Did Joohyun do this?” Jungkook asks Jiyoo.

She hesitated to give it away, but Hoseok and Jimin didn’t. They ratted Joohyun out and Jungkook felt his blood boil until Jiyoo wrapped her arms around his waist and hugged him.

“It’s fine. She got told off by Yugyeom in front of everybody.” Jiyoo mutters, her face buried into Jungkook’s shirt as she took a long sniff of his scent.

Jungkook isn’t happy, but he cools down seeing that Jiyoo was more or less okay. Since the quarterly testing was close to the end of the day, everyone (minus Jiyoo) thought it was okay to just go back home for the day.

“It’s not like we’ll have class anyways.” Jungkook grumbles, “We don’t do jack in our graphics class.”

Jiyoo still tried to argue with keeping the honest truth on the line. “But still-”

“Since she’s agreed, let’s go home.” Namjoon interjects quickly.

Jiyoo groans as her opinion was immediately shut down. It wasn’t as though she could just ignore everyone and walk back to class on her own anyways; Her ankle was busted and although she could stand on it, the chances of it hurting when she walked without help was extremely high. Jungkook turns around and squats down in front of Jiyoo, prompting her to jump onto his back.

She does with a bit of a struggle. Taehyung was kind enough to pull her up by her waist, helping Jungkook hold her properly before they’d taken off to their classrooms to pick up their bags before going home.

 

As Jiyoo’s cheek rested against Jungkook’s shoulder, she couldn’t help but feel happy. Jungkook used to piggyback her a lot before, so it was almost nostalgic. They stopped after getting to high school, finding that holding hands was much more convenient and attracted less attention.

“It’s just like the old days, yeah?” Jungkook laughs, almost reading Jiyoo’s mind as she lets out a small chuckle of her own.

“The view used to be less scary before, but it’s still nice I guess.” She teases Jungkook for his tall height.

He doesn’t mind, instead picking up the pace and beginning to sprint with Jiyoo on his back. She’s a bit scared since he was running almost full speed with her on his back. Holding onto Jungkook tighter, Jiyoo’s cries for him to slow down were ignored as Jungkook continued to run.

Although it was scary, she didn’t cry. Jiyoo knew Jungkook would never drop her that’s why.



A/N: I didn't realize that the last line rhymed and I feel disgusted with myself. Also! Headin out to the Korean festival today woohooooo ; One of my koukai's from school are gonna dance and I'm all about that support life. Also gonna see if my bf can handle Korean spicy. The guy eats Buldak ramyun like it's nothing. in crazy man.

I believe that this is the last chapter of Spring as well, so after this, it should be Summer themed chapters. It won't be as long as Spring tho just sayin. 

Hope you hate Joohyun more and liked the chapter! Enjoy your weekend before school! HAHA bye!