You Need To Let Go

Fall For Me Again

“She’s flirting with him again.”

Jiwoo looked at her co-employees who were huddled next to her workstation. They were all staring at Somin, who was talking vivaciously with Tae-hyung by the door.

“She isn’t even from this department,” a pretty editor named Chaewon muttered distastefully to the group. “She’s from Finance. Why does she always come here everyday?”

Hyunjoo, another editor, scoffed, “I know right.”

The other editors, Yena and Jinsol, nodded and murmured their total agreement.

Jiwoo cast a glance at Somin. It must be tough, being the company beauty and being hated at the same time. No matter what Somin had said to her, the girl didn’t do anything to actually earn her dislike. She even admired her courage a bit because it was clear she was a girl who went for what she wanted unlike her who kept on waiting for it.  

Yena caught her looking and told her, “Does it bother you?”

Jiwoo’s head jerked to her. “What?”

“Does it bother you to see them together?”


“You.”

Jiwoo dropped the book she was holding, startled by the voice. She glanced over her shoulder. Then her eyes widened.

Tae-hyung was standing behind her.

“You’re Jiwoo,” he told her.

She blinked and turned. “I… I am. How did you—?”

Suddenly, his hand shot out, slamming on the shelf behind her. She jumped and pressed herself against the books when he leaned close.

“Why?”

“W-why what?” she stammered.

He stared at her with angry eyes. Then his gaze dropped, focusing on something on the floor. Reluctantly, she followed his gaze. Then her body went solid.

The book she’d been holding and wanted to borrow had opened to the back cover when it fell. On the library card, his name was visible above hers. And under her name, he’d written his again.

She understood then. He was asking why she was reading that book.

He was asking why she was reading all the books he’s ever read in the library.

“H-how did you find out?” she whispered.

His eyes shot to hers, his mouth was tight and now he looked very angry. “Everytime I borrow the books I’ve already read, I always see your name below my name. Always. At first I thought it was just a coincidence.”

Tae-hyung’s eyes narrowed and her mind went blank with horror.

“But it wasn’t.”

She swallowed when his eyes narrowed further.

“It wasn’t, was it, Jiwoo?”


“N-no,” Jiwoo answered in a panicky stammer to her waiting co-employees. “Why should them being close bother me?”

“Because you’re in love with Tae-hyung,” Jinsol pointed out. “And frankly, we rather like him to end up with you rather than her.”

What?

“Yeah,” Chaewon inserted. “If none of us can have him, better you than that attention seeking flirt.”

What?

“Ugh. Let’s go back to work,” Hyunjoo said with a roll of her eyes. “Looking at that woman makes me feel nauseous.”

Yena wiggled her fingers goodbye as she and Jinsol returned to their desks. Chaewon and Hyunjoo were from the editorial department next door and rudely barged in the middle of Somin and Tae-hyung to tell Tae-hyung their farewells before going out the door. Somin didn’t look at all bothered at their interruption. In fact, she took this as a chance to latch herself on Tae-hyung’s arm as he moved towards his desk.  

Something unpleasant stirred inside Jiwoo as she watched them, something she couldn’t place.

“You promised to come drinking with us tonight, Tae-hyung,” Somin whined.

“I didn’t promise,” Tae-hyung said in a warm voice that suggested he was used to her behavior. “And I’m busy. I’m leaving tomorrow for the conference, remember?

“Just leave it to your staff,” she suggested.

Maybe it was too soon to say she didn’t dislike her, Jiwoo thought irritably as she stapled some papers together.

Tae-hyung chuckled. “What kind of superior would I be if I leave my work for others to do?”

“Please? For me? And maybe,” Somin’s voice lowered to a seductive purr but it wasn’t low enough for Jiwoo not to hear. “I’ll let you take me home tonight.”

The unpleasant feeling rose and she finally recognized it. She rushed out of the room, pressing her hand upon her lips to hide their tremble.

It was jealousy, acidic and burning.

“Does it bother you to see them together?”

And it was like the whole world came crashing down all around her.