Act 1 Scene 1

Dogfight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mily let out a content sigh as she stepped out into the sunlight, the school day was officially over and she had managed to survive yet another day of Sophmore year. She was glad that her shift at Telly's started in a few hours; it meant she was able to go home, wash up, change, maybe play a few chords on her guitar at the park before heading off. Her walk home was filled with a melody that she hummed, she had been working on writing her own song for her music project that would be due in a matter of weeks; whoever scored the highest was given a chance to meet with a big music company executive and have a go at professionally recording the song. It was a long shot, but it was Mily’s dream to become a musician and she would be damned if she didn’t give this project her all; she had been spending many nights trying to string together the perfect melody and once she found it, she just needed to add the perfect lyrics to it and that was where she had difficulty. The melody she created was unintentionally whimsical with an essence of playfulness but she didn’t want to just write a love song, she wanted it to have a message of some sort; something of meaning that would surely stand out for having such significant feeling.

 She ran her hand through her hair as the spring breeze whipped past her as she made her way through the door of Telly’s restaurant and up the stairs to her family’s apartment. After showering and changing into her work uniform, she grabbed her acoustic guitar and headed back down the stairs where she found her mother busily serving orders at the counter.

       “Hi mom, I’ll be back in 20!” Mily said as she placed a kiss on her mother’s cheek.

       “Be safe, and don’t be late!” Her mother called back as she sent a loving smile to her only child.

Mily jogged out of the restaurant careful not to bump into any of the customers or accidentally hit someone with her guitar as she made her way down a few blocks to her favorite park. What she loved about the place was that not only was it large and beautiful, but it offered her a sense of piece as she sat down in her usual spot behind a tree that was in an area that was more secluded from the rest of the park. She placed her guitar on her lap and adjusted her fingers to play the first few chords of her melody, she thought that maybe by playing the melody absentmindedly would help her come up with the lyrics she needed. She strummed her guitar as she watched nature all around her, she liked to pretend to be one with nature when she was there; she liked sway side to side like the trees did in the wind. Without her knowing, she began to harmonize with the chords, she swayed side to side with her eyes shut as she hummed along to the tune. Mily was so caught up in her own rhythm; she didn’t realize that she had company until she was done.

         “Don’t stop playing, it’s beautiful,” a voice from beside her startled her and her eyes snapped to the person beside her. It was none other than Jeon Junkook with his back leaning against the tree with his eyes closed.

        “H-how long have you been here?” Mily asked bewildered and feeling slightly exposed since she was caught off guard.

Jungkook opened his eyes and glanced at her, his brown eyes held a glimpse of mischief to them as he spoke, “Not long enough because you ended your song too soon,” he replied cheekily.

        “Oh,” was all that Mily was able to say and she desperately wanted to kick herself in the head for giving such a stupid and awkward reply.

Jungkook chuckled as he imitated her ‘oh’ in a comical tone which caused Mily to slap his arm lightly, an unintentional pout playing on her lips as the boy watched her.

      “You have a pretty voice,” he complimented, his eyes looking straight into hers so that no doubt could linger between them.

Mily tried her best to keep her cool, she was experiencing a multitude of feelings all at once; she was confused as to why Jungkook the notorious bad boy was sitting beside her and talking to her, even paying her a compliment, she was shy and embarrassed because she wasn’t ready to present this song to anyone especially since it was incomplete. She was also happy though because he said that she had a pretty voice which is something she has heard numerous times but somehow coming from him it was different, maybe because he too had a lovely singing voice; she has heard it a few times in passing while serving orders at Telly’s whenever he would pop in his headphones and forget about the fact that closing time was getting near.

       “Thanks,” she muttered while looking down at her guitar before meeting eyes with his.

        “I’ve never heard that tune before, is it an original?” Jungkook asked curiously, his teeth coming over his lower lip to bite it. Although Mily would hate to admit it, he sure did look breathtaking in that very moment; his black hair sleek and straight as it feel just at about his eyebrows, his deep brown eyes glistening in the dim glow of the sunset, his skin fair with hints of a past of acne but he was still handsome nonetheless. She quickly diverted her gaze to another part of the park not wanting to fall deeper into the hypnotic glance of the boy beside her, was this how he won the hearts of the female population at school?

She stammered out her answer, avoiding all eye contact with him, “it’s an original; I am working on it for my music class. We have to create a song and whoever has the highest score will meet with a big shot music executive to professionally record the song in a studio.”

Jungkook nodded his head as he listened to her story, “You’re definitely going to win,” he stated confidently.

Her eyes snapped back up to his and she almost regretted it, “you really think so?”

         “ yeah!” he exclaimed loudly, gaining the attention of the group of parents across the park that were glaring at the two.

Mily ducked her head in embarrassment, she knew for a fact that her cheeks were flaming a wild scarlet shade. How did this boy who barely knew her have so much confidence in her and her ability? Her heart was fluttering like the wings of a butterfly as she felt an unknown feeling take a hold of her.

          “My apologies, I’m just a dumb jerk who is not used to ladies being around; especially pretty ones. I didn’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable with my cuss words,” he explained, his voice velvety smooth.

          “What? No, it’s not that it’s just that you’re being awfully nice to me,” her eyes widened as she looked up a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter