Cooking Misadventure

Chronicles of Princess Hikari

Airi POV

I am walking beside Umika whose death stare is no less than mine. Hers could literally kill. I can't quite blame her though, that new girl is seriously flirting with Chinen. Hikari can't feign ignorance, I recalled mentioning Umika's major crush on Chinen, yet she is so careless in her behaviour. It wasn't the morning angst that is affecting us, it was how we both saw her catching up with Ryosuke and Chinen who were walking in front, then greeting them in such uncommon cheerful voice. I was mimicking her with Umika as we hear "Ohayou my friends!" I swear this girl is not innocent, but I wonder why Ryosuke just can't see it. Why must he help her. But it's Ryosuke, I can't refuse his request. The more I think about what he said yesterday, the more incomprehensible I feel his words were.

It was late night already and I was exhausted, but I feel I had to continue on the tracks, because if I stop, I was afraid my mind will go completely crazy. That smirk from those girls' faces still vividly carved in my memories, regardless how many miles I ran, my adrenaline can't seem to rub the pain away. Sweat trickled down my forehead, and in a careless moment, I trip on my foot, falling on my knees. My palms scrap against the ground and painfully supported my upper body. I sat on the ground with my eyes fixed on the bad scratches on the back side of my palm and on my knees.

"I knew you would be here" a hand reached out to me and said. I lifted my head and directly under the moon, I saw my saviour who pulls me out everytime I falls down under. I took his warm hand and staggered to the audience seats with his support.

"The girls from Sky High, did they approach you after the match?" he asked while taking a close look at my injuries. I shook my head.

"That's good."

"What's so good about that?! you should have seen the smirk on their faces!.... OUCH!" I yelled at his lack of consideration with the hard wipe against those fresh wounds of mine. He said with his tongue sticking out mischieviously. Obviously he did that intentionally. I gave him a death stare

"sorry~" he chuckled. 

Seriously making fun of me. To get back on him, I put my fingers into good use, tackling him at his sensitive spots and giving him a good tickle. He was laughing and crying for pardon, and we ended up playing and fooling around.

"how, feeling better?" he asked when we all got back serious. He always has his way to make people forget what they are upset of. Helplessly, I nodded. Surrendering to his efforts, with a gratitude deep down.

"Sky High will always be cocky. Our male team will have their fair share next month so we need to keep spirit up, alright?"

I know these, I know his concerns and I am mindful. That is why I chose to stay behind myself. I appreciate his kind reminder. "We can do it, right? We will win back our honour."

"of course we will. Especially with their captain around" he boast. He is good at the sport so I tolerated his cockiness. What I worry is the resr of the team , I told him. We both know there are some conflicts  - and we all know very well the real cocky player is out there creating unrest.

"If you are thinking about Suda , don't worry. recently they are all putting their heads in the game, so I don't expect any unhappiness for now. But I will monitor... Anyway, let's not change topic. We are talking about you."

"What about me?"

"Well, for a start, your anger with Suzuki Hikari."

I was surprised he mentioned her. The mere calling of her name, really brought back my rage. I could feel heat rushing to my cheeks. "She is a saboteur!"

 "She don't genuinely mean it."

That's a surprise. Since when did he become her spokesperson. What peeves me more is how he spoke in that tone like he knew her well. It's not even her first week in school. I breathed in deeply with my eyes rolling and I made sure he sees my sarcasm.

"I'm not saying that naively. You look at her. She's clumsy from day one, you don't think she's incapable of being a saboteur? And her blunder, deliberate or not, we can't deny that the consequence is much more humiliating for her. I don't see why she wanna risk it. Now as a school freshie, she is basically walking into the tomb of the ostracised."

He has a point but I'm only going to disagree for the sake of it. Besides, she did cause us to lose the match. "So... what's your point?"

"Forgive her. Let it pass."

"Wait, you are telling me to pretend none of that has happened and befriend her?" I was already sounding ridiculous, let alone Ryosuke who initiated it. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

"No, not befriend her. That's your choice. But I am appealing that you overlook this matter and don't make her feel any worst," he said. It didn't sound like he meant it as a joke, and he's getting more serious by the seconds. "Look Airi, even if she didn't score that goal, we couldn't have won."

"We wouldn't have lost either. It's clearly a tie if it's not for her blunder"

"Yes, and that's exactly what it is - a blunder."

"I can't communicate with you, Ryosuke. You should hear how ridiculous you sound," I feel bad for showing my temper at him, I really can't help it. I stormed off, leaving him behind. 

"Airi..."

"... I'll try." I didn't turn to look at him when I responded. But even if I didn't respond, he knows I'll listen to his request, I'll try nonetheless. 

...

"Airi, are you listening to me?!" I hadn't realised Umika has been staring at me with annoyance. I could only admit I hadn't paid attention.

"I'm saying... this girl is really a trouble, and I dread sitting beside her. She irks me," Umika is seldom so harsh in her vocabulary. I guess her intolerance with Hikari is contributed much by her jealousy for Chinen. Well, I think the other girls are also gossiping about her from the way other girls who saw her morning greetings to the two popular guys reacted. Sigh, what is it she said to Ryosuke to make him help her. I gasped, "could it be... she...he..." argh, I scratched my head in frustration. No way Ryosuke hit on her. He must be taking sympathy on her. I thought through yesterday and he's partly right. I guess she already has made it into everyone's hate list, it doesn't matter if I hated her. She's lucky then, 1 less hate for her. If Umika had been observant, she would have noticed how Chinen looked confused and in slightly disregard the instant Hikari turned the other way. And if she listened carefully, she could hear Chinen's conversation with Ryosuke, "isn't she weird?"

"She is~" Ryosuke agreed while being distracted on his phone. It's a relief the two boys think so, or I'm already starting to worry the status quo changing over a new girl. I laughed to myself when I see how Hikari could still smile in class in light of this incident. Even when she greeted Umika and received no more than a hostile glare, she still brace a smile. I wonder how much dignity she has held within her to face such treatment. Somehow, I'm beginning to sympathise. 

"Airi... I'm really sorry about yesterday. W-would you forgive me?" She said with much hesitation and her voice trembling as if I'm like a tigeress. from my seat, i looked up at her where she is standing, whimpering like a mice, her eyes very much hidden under her lowered head, deliberately avoiding mine. I glance over at Ryosuke who is in the background, he gave a brief smile as if he is leaving it to me to decide my reaction. I heaved a sigh, and by now Umika is also waiting to see my response.

"It's not me you need to apologise to, it's the team who worked hard for it. As for me, I'm not hating on you, so there isn't a question whether I'll forgive you cause it's not necessary."

It seems only Ryosuke understood my intentions. The rest, including Umika look at me blankly for a whole second until Hikari held my hands in teary eyes. "Thank you..." I awkwardly gave her an accepting smile before shrugging her away. Well, I am not hating on her but I hope she realise that it only means I'm leaving the forgiving to the rest of the peeps. I'm not gonna be the spokesperson for her. She'll have to work it out herself.

"What's wrong with you? You gonna just let her go like that?" Umika asked me after class as we trailed to the canteen. 

"Hmm...I don't think it matters what I say..." I hinted Umika to look in a certain direction where a poor girl sits alone, ostracised by the other students. No one is sitting with her. It would be too much to expect for Ryosuke to accompany her, but that thought did cross my mind for awhile. Ryosuke is sitting with Chinen, Daiki and Yudai. I grabbed Umika's arm and pulled her to their table. The seat beside Chinen is unoccupied so I made sure the ever shy Umika takes that seat. Of course, with a bit of mischief. 

"Hey...." her retaliation decresendo after I gave her a light push, and she loses her balance and knock into Chinen when she falls onto her seat. Their skin braced and her face flushed so fast I'm surprised it did not explode. Unfortunately, this Chinen is really a block. Instead of holding Umika, he gave her more space, separating them further. Sometimes I wonder if Chinen really can't tell Umika's feelings for him or he isn't interested in her. The other 3 guys actually noticed but it was Daiki who more. 

"Say, Umika, your face is like the tomato on your plate ne. Why is that so?" He smirked. Love it, Daiki is always so crude but it's the only way for these 2 baka.

"Heh?!" She quickly covered her cheeks while taking a peek at Chinen who is still completely oblivious and disinterested.

"Ryosuke, you have been on your phone since the start of lunch. We want our friend back" Yudai protested. It's true, I have only seen his eyes briefly since we joined them for lunch. I could only see the top of his head.

"Ah sorry."

"Kasumi?" Chinen sounds like a really concerned friend. Not like the other 2 guys, still preoccupied with teasing.

"No. My sis. She had appendicitis recently and did a minor operation."

"Is she better?" Chinen continued while the rest of us listen carefully.

"She wanted to go back to work when she is still recovering. The doctor gave her 2 weeks medical leave, I don't know why she's so stubborn... She's my older sister but doesn't even act like one. It's so worrying to see that relationship taken a toll on her."

"It has been at least 5 years... she really need to forget that dude whoever he is," I commented.

"If only I knew who he is... I'll beat the hell out of him." 

Ryosuke and his sister, Mitsuki could have been the model siblings of sweetness. They are both so good looking and are supposedly caring towards each other, but they are just not expressing it to one another. They try other ways to show their care that's so indirect that they end up bickering so much.

"So you're trying to contact her?" Chinen returned back to Ryosuke's distraction with his phone.

"Yes. She's not answering to my text and my call... if she's still not picking up, I'll seriously consider going over her house," he stood up and stormed off with our eyes trailing behind. The rest of us quickly resumed our conversation on the coming cooking class which we were all darn excited over. We naturally started pairing up, with strategic considerations. I smirked, then gave a kick on Daiki's knees.

"Ouch..." he cursed silently but I ignored.

"Airi, I'll pair with you!" He announced, though he could have sounded more willing. But to fool Umika and Chinen, I guess this will do.

"Heh, then what about me?" Umika's frenzy can be heard in her hysteric voice. Daiki and I were helplessly holding back our laughter. "I'll pair with Ryosuke." 

Ah, no. Mr Nice Guy is really not the option for you, Umika. I gave Daiki another kick, this time he kicked back before he voice himself. "Yudai, you're pairing with Ryosuke right..."

"I am?... oh yes, whatever." Yudai saw the wink from Daiki and shrug it off. This dude never bothers, and he hates cooking. So pairing up with Ryosuke, who cooks so well, is possibly the best offer for him. 

"So that leaves Chinen and Umika! And that's a done deal for the pairing" I officiate the plan while Umika is still trying to reconcile what happened, of course with much blush on her cheeks. Chinen didn't have much of a respond, as usual. He's really the 'anything-goes-kind-of-guy'.

We did want to update Ryosuke with what he missed while he briefly left the seat but we were simply dumbfounded to see him bring back an uninvited guest.

"M-minna...c-can I seat?" her head is still lowered. Why exactly did Ryosuke invite her to our table. 

"Just sit... you don't need to ask for permission," Ryosuke answered directly, his eyes still glued on his phone. She timidly took the seat beside me. It's not just her presence though, it's how she is just so abnormal - the things she say, she do - that makes everyone so awkward.

***

Ryosuke POV

 

"Sorry to disturb. My name is Yamada Ryosuke. Your tenant is Yamada Mitsuki right?" It's seriously awkward to be engaging with the landlord for the first time in such a circumstance. For many years now, we barely ever call each other's cellphone, let alone at our individual apartments. If it's anything, the 2 of us only communicate through text messages. When did we become so distant? We were once very close though, but that I guess was when I'm just a preschooler. Our parents were divorced and they were so busy with their individual lives that they can't be bothered with us. Likewise, we can't be bothered either. Mitsuki and I took care of each other until a time I guess we just started to be so independent, we didn't need each other. Partly, it's puberty that we just feel we are old enough to live by ourselves. It's only 5 years ago, on one fateful night, I realised she's not as strong as I think she is. I could never forget her sobbing through my phone. She's trying so hard obviously to swallow her cries but she erupted within a few seconds after I answered her call. She didn't say much when I saw her sitting at a bench near our old apartment, frozen and dazed like she has been there for hours. I only knew she was dumped by a guy. Heart breaks are always the worst I guess. But even then, she shuts me away as if she could handle all of it. And she walked away, leaving me wondering why I even go to her. I'm glad not all women are that erratic or I'll prefer to be a monk.

"Yes but Who are you?" The other voice replied, I'm assuming she's her landlord.

"I'm her younger brother"

"Ah, yes. How can I help you?" the lady began to sound less defensive.

"I can't contact my sis. If she's there, could you pass her the phone?"

"She's not around. Unfortunately she told me she'll not be coming back in a week or so."

"HEH? But she's not well."

"Yes, she is pale even when she left just now. But she told me it's okay. I verified a few times with her before she left..."

"Did she say where she's going?"

"She didn't say...sorry Ryosuke, I can't help you. I hope you'll find her," she sounds so apologetic that I too feel bad for making her feel so.

"It's alright. Thank you ma'am." 

As soon as I put down my phone, I spoke out to Hikari who is hiding in a corner and munching her bread. "You can join us... come with me" I figured I rather not be wishy washy for this, so I decide to be instructive instead. I am so close to just pull her along though that'll be too ungentlemanly of me. Yet my words are equally provocative "do i need to invite you?" I said when I noticed she didn't move.

The rest could have been more receptive though. The instant they saw her, I could see only hostility and they casted doubts on me. As for her, she needs to be more confident. Even her greetings were too reserved, causing the mood to be more awkward. 

"M-minna...c-can I seat?"

She sat beside her nightmare. Laughs. I took a peek at Airi who is doing pretty well suppressing her annoyance. Then I was surprised the one who seems most annoyed was the ever-friendly Umika. Hmm. I wonder why. I am still desperately trying to reach Mitsuki, but I'm wary of that dead silence looming upon our table. Sigh, I probably made the wrong choice.

Finally the silence is broken, by the most unexpected. "Airi... can I ask you something?" Hikari asked so softly.

"Yes?"

"Can you teach me soccer?" 

Ah, this question... it's a taboo by now for her. Why does she has to mention it? Can't quite blame others for their petty anger, but her ignorance could seriously kill. Anyone would expect Airi's crude response, except I thought it could have been worst.

"... Sorry. I'm not very free... guys, I'm leaving now." Airi stood up. Just at the same time, my phone rang. Vacating my seat, I picked up my call, only to realise it's my neighbour.

"Hai moshi moshi."

"Ryosuke-kun. I'm your neighbour, Yamazaki."

"Ah, yes. What's up?" Bewildered I am for the sudden call.

"Just wanted to check. There's sound from your house. And since you're in school, there shouldn't be, so I figured I should alert you."

"Sound?" Worried, I started scouring my mind for some possibilities - rats? Oh no, did I leave my stove on?! Can't be, by now it would have caught fire or exploded.

"Thanks for letting me know. I'll come home now to check it out" I quickly dash back to the table to inform the rest I'm leaving. Why am I not surprised to find that Chinen is the only one left with Hikari.

"Chi, the rest left?"

"Yes. I need to leave soon too. Hikari?... Hikari?" He called repeatedly but no answer. She is obviously daydreaming.

"Heh? Ah... I'm leaving too. Sorry."

"Sorry for? I think you should reserve your apology to the soccer team... But don't worry too much, things will be better." Chinen said. I can always count on Chinen to say something nice, though things do look quite bleak for her. Nonetheless, I really don't have the time nor mood to care about someone else's feelings. The day has been rather hectic for me too.

"Guys, I'll interrupt at this moment. I really need to leave now, unless I want my house to be robbed clean"

"Heh?!" Hikari and Chinen both exclaimed. It is Chinen who probed further. 

I answered his curiosity with my incoherent sentences while packing up, "Weird noises coming from my apartment. Going back now to check... bye!"

I could hear Chinen hollering to me, "Keep me updated!" What will I do without Chinen as my BEST friend. 

Butterflies in my stomach as I approach nearer to my apartment. While there's nothing really valuable inside, a house break-in still warrants my fear. I leaned against my door and I hear no noises at all. Is it that house breaker has left? Would I open the door to witness the wreckage caused? Reality - there is things that seemed to be moved but not fall over. That's a relief but somehow it reminds me of Goldilocks and the three bears. My cup is used, I'm sure of it when I saw it lying around the kitchen. I crept inwards to my room, careful not to alert the intruder if he/she is not out yet. In the crucial moment, my phone vibrated. It's Chinen's text.

"Ryosuke, how is it? Your properties, alright? :D"

Hiding behind my door, I could see my bed a mess. Something is bulging under my blanket, it's definitely a person. Adrenaline rushed through my veins as I responded to Chinen.

"It's an intruder. The person is on my bed."

"What the... call the police!"

"... damn. It's not necessary anymore. I know the intruder... my sister." I replied after awhile, not knowing to be laughing or feel relief. It's hilarious to see my sister beneath my blanket, her hair fall over her face, only to verify her identity when I lightly pulled it away, revealing her exhaustion. Her face was pale, like paper, too different from the last I saw her. When my fingers brushed against her skin, I noticed it was cold. Yet when I touched her forehead, it's warm. I retrieved my thermometer after sensing something is wrong and turned out she is having a mild fever.

"Oneesan~..." I called out to her softly as I sat beside her on my single bed, brushing her long light-wavy hair with my bare fingers. Her frown deepened above her barely opened eyes, conveying her discomfort. 

"R-ryo~" she tried to sit up but I pressed her back down. She's obviously suffering a really bad body ache.

"Have you eaten lunch?"

She shook her head as I expected. Luckily, she showed remorse for skipping meals yet again. Sighing at her repeated stubbornness, I softly instructed her to sleep while I cook her some plain porridge before medication. From my kitchen, I have full view of my room. I see her soundly asleep and that's a relief. What's more satisfying is to watch her rest so peacefully in the comfort of my care. I wanted to be helpful, and I am glad I was. I may be a backup, but at least she came to me when she needed help. 

" I know you have no appetite but try to eat alittle. You don't want to get another round of appendicitis in this state right..." I sat her upright while feeding her.

She neither argued with me or ranted at me for being preachy. This needs some getting used to. I laughed to myself. She swallowed down the food obediently, then slowly taking over the spoon from my hand.

"It's nice..." 

"Thanks for the compliment. I thought it's gonna taste bland so I added some orange peels to give it some citrusy taste."

"My little brother is a good cook ne," she said weakly.

"Always have been. your little brother is very impressive you know" I admit I was alittle boastful over one compliment but well, it's not everyday I get a positive feedback from her. It's even more shocking to have a conversation with her without quarrelling. Maybe she's just too tired to. She ate the medicine I passed her and looked at me in deep thoughts. 

"You go wash up first... you haven't rested since you reached home." She lightly pushed me away from her side. If she hadn't reminded me, I forgot I haven't changed out of my uniform. Ironically, I don't even feel the tint bit tired. Done in my shortest record, 30 minutes, I went back to my bed and I saw her already asleep. I pulled the blanket lightly over her body and planned to retrieve my futon and lay on the floor.

I gasped when she pulled me back unannounced, and refused to let go of my hands. "What is it? Do you need something?"

"Ryosuke... let me hug you to sleep please..." 

I have never seen my tough sister looking so needy before, neither did I ever expect she would voluntarily ask me to stay with her. I thought she'll never ever show me this frail side of her, not unless I'm the last man on Earth. I see her tears wet, and I sort of feel that she must be feeling really horrible that she needs me by her side. I slid myself beneath the blanket and there she immediately slots her arms around my torso, hugging me so tight, and her head nested against my chest. I smiled at how this resembles our younger days where we were much closer. Father and mother would quarrel outside the room, while we tug in each other's embrace, cupping the other person's ears to shut those noises out. I found my hands on her back, lightly patting her, hoping she feels better.

"What scent are you using?" 

"You're going to irritate me again right" i said annoyed, determined to shrug her away but she instead tightened her grip around me.

"No. It's really a nice scent."

That's rare of her again to speak nice words to me. She definitely is sick, but I'll like if she stays this nice to me.

"It's green apple scent as top note... Mitsuki, can you let me know what happened?"

There was a long pause and I reckon she's not gonna tell me as usual. I didn't habour any hopes anyway so I let her be. 

"My life is in a mess, Ryosuke... I at my job. I must be doing something wrong..." 

First I'm surprised she is actually loosening her tight lips and revealing more to me. Second, I realised I don't know much about her life - I thought besides her failed romance, she is doing alright at her job? I guess not. She's working as a property agent I recalled.

"I'm trying so hard. Why can't he understand? I only need him to listen to my side of story for once. Those customers, they are not always right..."

"Your customers are demanding and they complained about you? And your supervisor reprimands you?" It's not hard to guess this scenario in the customer service line, especially since I've heard the horrors of this line from Yudai whose brother works in that sector.

"That man who I brought to view the flats... he... is a ert~ that idiot. I didn't let him get his way and he complained me. Yet my boss, he said I should have accommodated his needs. He said I was good for nothing... Ryosuke, should I have just not resisted the man...?"

Gosh, what is happening to her? She's so broken. How much of this has she endured alone?!

"No, You did the right thing. No one should trample on you like this. And your boss is clearly discriminating females. You should report him." I got heated up, seriously. My sense of righteousness burns in my veins. I want to protect my sister, my only sister. "Tomorrow, I can go with you to see him. We need to make a point that he can't say or do what he wants without considering his employees' feelings."

She looked up at me. She's crying. Silently. And I would rather she cry it out loud. This pains me. I held her face and gently wiped off those streams of tears.

"Thank you... and sorry, I won't bother you for long. Just until the night is over, I'll leave. So please, just let me be." 

Do I look like someone who will throw his own sister out after recounting her unfortunate events? I was secretly offended. "I wasn't going to chase you out." I held her face and made sure she listens carefully to what I am about to say (though I honestly hope I ain't gonna regret this). "You can stay as long as you want." I am glad I see her lips curl in a crimson before burying herself back into my embrace. 

If only this peace can be longer than my dreams. By dawn, I was woken by nightmare.

"Yamette!" Gasping for breathe as Mitsuki literally strangling my neck with her arms from behind my back. 

"Otoutou, it's time for school. Wake up."

"Don't be a nag. I can grab another 5 minutes sleep and still make it in school."

"Nah. Are you or are you not waking up?" 

She upgraded her attack, tickling me all over. We crazily rolled around each other and in spite of my annoyance, she was in a hysteric laughter. Seeing her cheer up from yesterday's, I gradually ended up laughing along with her. It's really worth reminiscing that we two did what we always did together when we were young - Occupying the same sink to freshen up, making breakfast for each other, then giving each other a hug before leaving home. Of course, it includes the back slap she always did before parting for the long day.

She saw me to the door before heading in. I halted when she called me. There's some anxiety on what I was to expect from her interruption. 

"Thank you Ryosuke. I am mean to you all the time, I never expected you would accommodate me."

"You're my sister. That's a fact. Besides I haven't been the best lil brother to you too."

"Frankly, you are..."

I smirked.

"Ah, don't be cocky because of this okay. I'll never stop being a meanie." She laughed. To me, this conversation is already a testimony of our ever kinship regardless having stayed away from each other all this time.

***

Hikari POV

 

my favourite word these days - AWKWARD. Every freaking moment of it is. I didn't wanna bore Yuto, Yuriko or even Yabu with my rattling so I decide I should just keep to myself. The three of them, including Shohei and Iwata had done so much to help me get a year in a public school which I yearned so much. If they ever find that I ain't happy at all now, it'll disappoint them so much. I don't want them to think they worked hard for nothing. So no matter how hard it is, I try to smile. I know they are somehow watching me, so I won't let my face collapse in the open. In fact, the only time I could, is in the toilet. 

But how am I seriously supposed to maintain a smile when I know there's no one willing to partner me for cooking class! I'm not banging on Airi since I am not even convinced she had forgiven me for the Soccer incident. Umika is acting weirdly hostile around me, much more than Airi and I really don't know what I've done to make her hate me so intensely. The only other 2 I have even spoken to is Chinen and Ryosuke, but Chinen is partnered with Umika, Ryosuke is partnered with Yudai and another guy named Kenji who is notoriously lazy I overheard. Everyone seems to have planned ahead. Even if I did take an early preparation, no one would agree to partner with a sabotager - that's how people call me. 

"Suzuki Hikari~... you don't have a partner?" The sensei asked. The class giggled. Why did she have to ask when it is so blatantly obvious.

"Anyone would like to join Hikari?" 

Is this sensei hating on me too? Her innocent questions are so offensive to me right now. I feel so embarrassed I wanna dig a whole and bury myself in. I have thought Mr Nice Guy Ryosuke would volunteer, but he didn't move an inch. 

"In that case, Ryosuke..."

I'm happy at the instructions, momentarily that is. 

"Sensei, no, we need Ryosuke in the team." Yudai and Kenji protested. I feel bad to have to split them up.

"Yes I know."

"Then why?!"

Ryosuke stood there innocently, as if resigning to sensei's disposal. Me, I just completely await my unfortunate partner.

"I didn't say him. I was going to say Yudai." Sensei teased. I immediately saw Yudai's unhappiness written all over his face while Ryosuke gave Kenji a jerk when the latter laughed rudely. I sulked in caution not to be spotted in the act. It's official - I'm an unwanted kid.

So we're supposed to cook this Chinese dish called 'Tian Jin Fan' which is in local terms, fried rice. Sensei made it sound so simple. A beaten egg fried with rice and seasoning. Yudai stared at me and I figured he is waiting for me to start. I was going to ask what I should do first if it's not for his fierce eyes. The biege eggs were placed nearest to me, so I guess cracking the egg can't be that hard. I took the egg in one hand and the bowl in another hand.

"Ahhh!" It's not supposed to be like that, the shell fell in with the interiors dripping out. It all mashed into the bowl, messily. I shrieked, Yudai was furious and everyone in class is sniggering and staring at us. 

"Can't you be careful?! There're more eggs over there. This time do it properly! Ridiculous " he rattled. I apologised profusely while trying to avert the gazes of some curious classmates waiting to see my second attempt. 

*Crack.

The interiors of the broken egg flowed into the bowl. Fortunately, This time I did not drop the shell in, I can't possibly afford another blunder. I proudly handed the bowl beaten egg to Yudai but he didn't return any sign of satisfaction, "pour it into the pan when I say so." His concentration were all on the frying of the rice in his pan, yet mine like all other girls have our eyes fixated instead at Ryosuke and Kenji's group who are already about the complete. I could see from my position that the rice in Ryosuke's pan is golden with the aroma of the fried rice filling the classroom. Ryosuke himself is stealing the girls' attention with the handkerchief given in our cooking pack as a bandana over his head, tactfully avoiding the smoke from leaving a smell in his hair. 

"Now!" My soul was brought back by Yudai who is annoyed by now. I quickly pour it in before I cause him to overcook the rice.

"Ahhhhhhh itaiii!" 

Everything happened so fast I couldn't react in time, neither the rest of the class. I stood frozen while Yudai held his own hand in agony where the oil splattered harshly. The pan flipped when he dropped it in that instance, along with the rice and everything else in it. It was a mess. I hope Yudai would scream at me but he was in such pain he didn't. Sensei was the only one who reacted, quickly rushing him out of class to the nurse's office, leaving me alone to face the angry class who spare no efforts to condemn me. Every statement I heard was what I well-deserved and every single one was so so painful to bear.

"Can't believe she was so distracted staring at other people! Attention-seeking flirt."

"Hope Yudai is fine. He's such poorthing to pair up with this jinx."

"Did you see?! She basically threw the egg into the pan. She is crazy!"

"Yudai could have been killed by her reckless act. Didn't she know the hot oil will splash out."

"Her egg mixture has shell in it! Seriously, she's embarrassing "

"First Airi, now Yudai, she should just leave our class before she hurts everyone."

I needed an escapism. As if my mind is losing its sanity, or I just couldn't stand another second facing the music, I dashed out of class and back into the toilet where I could breathe. The rest must be freely gossiping about me by now, including my men. Yuriko should have found out about Yudai and would have linked his injury to me. Yuto's call came immediately and even when I rejected the first call, he persisted. Finally he messaged.

"Hikari... i know you don't want us to see you like this. So I'm not gonna force you to come out.. listen, no one said it's gonna be easy living the life you aren't familiar with. I know you're not someone who gives up easily so just gather your courage and try again. You'll be fine. Call me if you need us, you know we'll be there by your side - Yuto"

"Yuto. could you help me make sure Yudai is fine? - Hikari"

"I will. His scalding isn't serious, so don't worry too much. You are not hurt yourself, are you? - Yuto"

"No, I'm not. Thank you. - Hikari"

I haven't realised until Yuto's question, that my wrist is aching too. Examining only now, I find my wrist reddened and stinging in pain. I must have gotten a little of that hot oil too. Based on that limited medical knowledge I have, I gritted my teeth and run it under cold water. My reddened eyes from the crying has attracted the attention of the other junior students entering the toilet. I knew I had to evacuate, and by then school has ended, there were people everywhere along the corridors. People threw me penetrating glances when they deduced I had been crying and started gossiping even though they don't know me at all.  I sped up and returned to the cooking class shared kitchen which is now empty of the class. The kitchen is so clean that it didn't leave any traces of the accident nor its previous occupants. 

Maybe I was tired out physically, maybe I was drained by my overwhelming emotions, I crashed on the ground, feeling like my clumsiness since I started on this 1-year journey has proved most damaging to those around me whom I aim to get close to. The harder I try, the more ruckus I cause to their lives. It's no longer about me, it's about them. Tears streamed down once again. I buried my head between my knees as I brought them close to my chest. I hope no one ever discovers me here and let me just drown in my own failure.

"Eh hmm. Suzuki Hikari, you're not supposed to be here you know!" A low deep voice startled me. 

"sensei. Sorry!" I assumed his identity, springing up on my two feet with guilt. I have expected a look of a discipline master instead it's a delicate look before me, smiling widely (slightly mischievous) "Ryosuke?" I quickly brushed my tears away when I noticed he is staring. His eyes shifted to the mess I created down under. Bending down, he observed the cracked eggs.

"Hmmm. Shells in the mixture are a no no."

I quickly retrieved it and dumbed them away, embarrassed. Besides apology, I didn't know what else to say.

"Do you know, you've broken like many school rules? Using school resources after class, without permission. Unauthorised use of the kitchen without permission. These can get you like a list of detentions," he said unsympathetically. 

"Crap. I can't be caught. I can't mess up further." I was desperate to escape from the crime scene, but he pulled me by the collar as soon as I tried to dash past him.

"Hey hey hey. You're here to practise isn't it. And you haven't even accomplish anything..." 

"But you said I shouldn't be here isn't it?" 

"But I never said you'll be caught. As long as you're not caught then you'll not be punished right. Chill." He laughed then grabbed a few more eggs. "Try one more? I'll see what's wrong." 

I knew he was kind, but he's so free-spirited too. Though I know him only for a week, he's the kind that measures his risk before delving into something. That's similar to Iwata and Shohei who's always taking measurable risk and keeping things within control. They are very much doing what I'm currently lacking. Taking the egg in my hand, I cracked it.

"Darn" a big piece of the shell dropped in.

"I see the problem. You are too careful with the egg, you hesitated. Confidently do it like this." He demonstrates to me. It's so swift. The egg cracked into 2 and he pulled the shell apart. The interiors flowed into the bowl so beautifully. My face of awe amused him? He chuckled to himself as he teased my expression. He made me try it once more, but again it didn't seem to work.

"I'm such a trouble "

He didn't dread, or at least I couldn't tell it from his expression. Patiently he went behind me and slipped his hands over mine, "I'll guide you". Then he quietly do his magic on my fingers. His skin is so supple, and his minty fresh breathe blows against the side of my face, his warmth radiates like a blanket over my body. I turn slightly to him, and I see his focus. His slight frown, his masculine jawlines made me shy.

"There, you see, perfect!" He released himself and expressed his delight. 

"Ah! Yes! I did it!" I turned around and jumped with joy until I became petrified by the proximity between us I forgot. I quickly shy away. 

"Hmm... hold your celebration, you need to do it yourself first" he handed me a fresh egg, with no compromise. I nervously took it from him.

"Don't look at me like that... you need to be independent," he said like a father to a pouting daughter. Yes, I'm panicking and I have not even considered my new found fear for guys (strange fear when I don't even feel so around Shohei, Yabu, not even Yuto who is my age)

Sigh. I took a deep breathe and let the crack sound consume me. I painfully kept my eyes open then...

"YES!! Yes! Yes! Ryosuke, I did it!!!!" I turn to Ryosuke and unknowingly find myself grabbing his arm, hopping all around. Happiest moment of this week. I forgot myself that instance. The physical space between us narrowed, until I regain consciousness of the dangerous space. He really has that inert ability to distract and numb senses and make someone do crazy things or THINK crazy things. Think - because yes, I'm looking intensely at his juicy thin lips. Is this how I describe it? Seriously, Hikari, your vocabulary is seriously limited.

His phone rang, not too long before I regain my sanity. "Yes Umika...I found it. Sorry I took so long... ah I see Chinen outside. Will join you girls shortly."

"What took you so long? You found Umika's purse?" Chinen came in, stumbling upon me in shock. "Oh you're here."

"Yes, I found her purse. Sorry I was helping Hikari so it took me awhile."

"Sorry, i took up your time" my late apology just seemed to be at an unearthly time that seemed so unnecessary now. So he came to help Umika retrieve her purse, and he's late for a outing with the clique, but is spending too long with the outcast.

"Ah I see, cracking eggs..." Chinen smirked then jerked Ryosuke in his ribs even though I don't know what that means. "Shall we go?" Ryosuke turns to me with a worrisome look instead of immediately answering Chinen.

"Thanks Ryosuke. I'll continue to practice. And I'll be careful not to be caught."

Was my answer bad? Cause he didn't look satisfied. He is in doubt

"Chinen. You go ahead with them. If I can, I'll join. If not, you guys just go have fun."

My reaction was the same as Chinen, both speechless to hear his proposal. 

"... er, you're staying for her?"

"I guess. Chi, just go ahead. Take Umika's purse with you"

"Alright then. See you!"

Once Chinen is gone, he immediately dwell into the ingredients for the fried rice. I feel bad.

"It's okay Ryosuke. I don't wanna spoil your plans."

"Nah. I didn't wanna go actually. Between you and me, Umika will prefer I not go."

"Isn't it a clique outing?"

"Nope. Airi is gonna find an excuse to leave. She just texted me. I'll be a lightbulb if I have gone... you do know Umika has a major crush on Chinen right?"

I nodded and he smiled, "good. You catch on fast. That's why she isn't pleased with you at all"

"Me? Why? I..." panick mode on again. What did I do?! 

"You need to careful when you interact with people. You got too closed to Chinen, so it got to her nerves."

My puzzled look got him to put down the pan. "Hikari, you really are quite... hmm... how do I say... lost..."

"I am..." I leaned my head on the table and sulked, resigning to fate.

"Ne... I have a solution to your misery thus far. Wanna hear?" He leaned towards me and placed his arm on his shoulders, as if we were damn close. By the way, he smells so good - His manly cologne is so attractive on many levels.

"Don't try too hard. You are trying too desperate to make friends, you are hitting everyone's toes. Especially when the soccer incident haven't quite resolved."

"But if I don't try, then no one will befriend me. I'm trying to please people, I didn't mean for it to go the other way"

"Yes, so stop trying to please people. Do only what you can, and not over try. Give you an example, if you had just told Yudai that you don't know how to cook, he won't set an expectation that you could."

It's profound but I sort of see some enlightenment. He didn't let me think too long, giving me a soft knock on my head then started instructing me on the cooking. Bit by bit, he patiently taught me, and I gradually got the hang of it. And time seems to pass too fast and too short.

"Gomene. I have something on. See you in school tomorrow~" he swiftly packed up and go, leaving me with the fried rice I cooked with his guidance. It tasted not too bad and I bet the one he cooked is heavenly considering his friends loved it. 

I glanced over at my timetable and saw another cooking class tomorrow. I can't expect Ryosuke to mentor me in class. On my own, I doubt I can. And I've already pissed the class, especially Yudai, I need to salvage the problem without committing what Ryosuke warned me off - trying too hard. 

I informed Yuto and Yabu who didn't seem pleased but have to make do anyway since my solution didn't put me in any risk. I knew if I practised in the palace, they will all have a sleepless night and I really don't want that to happen especially because the two are already drained for preparing this whole public school experience. Same for Shohei. And if I had practised in the palace, Mariya and the rest would hear of it and will mock me forever, Not because I at cooking but precisely because I am cooking (they believe we are to be served, and learning to cook is to put down ourselves.) weird logic, but if I hadn't at it, I will enjoy cooking I guess. frankly, besides those in the palace, I don't know many people... there's one though. And he wouldn't mind.

"IWATA NII-CHAN! Genkidesuka?!" I leaped onto him as soon as the door swing open.

"What's this? Here at this time?" He pulled me apart and stared at his clock behind. It's 8, and he's dressed in his white long sleeved top, ed on the top and his black work pants. His bronze coloured hair falls perfectly down yet didn't block his shimmering eyes. Simple yet suave the way I liked. I grabbed him by his arm and pulled him into his own house like a savage animal. Laughs.

"Yamette..." he returned that savageness with what I call an eye for an eye. Wrapping his arm around my neck, keeping me right under his restrain. "So how did you lie to the guys?"

"I didn't... i told them the truth." I slapped his arms hoping he release me. He did but not spare me. He pinched both sides of my cheeks this time.

"Ouch... ouch" i slapped his hands but he didn't let go... 

"And what's that truth?"

"I'm staying over tonight.. can you let go please..." I begged with my palms together.

"Right... i guess I can't turn away my crown princess can I. But that's not the whole truth right, missy? How can I be of your assistance?" He wrenched my neck again and brought me to the dining area where he sat me down at the table and poured me a cup of carrot juice.

"Erm... can you lend me your kitchen tonight? And if possible teach me to cook fried rice. I promise it'll be just once and it won't take much of your time." I'll definitely feel bad if I'm gonna make a working class guy suffer a whole night with me so I swear I'll keep it short. Actually I did kind of regret asking him when I saw he look tired.

"Sure. Fried rice, hmm... i think I have all the ingredients." He rummaged through his very neat refrigerator and his pots and pans and in a short time, he gathered everything I need. "School assignment?"

"Cooking lesson. Iwata, i... sort of screwed up again and hurt someone. Like physically... injure him." Lowered my head, I didn't realise he was just beside me. 

"You'll just have to impress him tomorrow in class then. I'll help you, but before that... you need to let me see your wrist." He took my hands and examined the joints closely. 

"Some blisters. Remind me to get you the cream for burns. I don't want my favourite girl to destroy her own hands under my watch ne." He ruffled my hair then instructed for me to cook the way I know (that would be Ryosuke's way), while he points me where I could improve. I did once, and while I didn't break the shell into the mixture, I didn't spill the oil or overfried and under fried my rice, it didn't turn out nice. He realised my issue and rectified it as I tried the second, the third and finally...

"Hmm." He tasted one mouth.

"How is it? Tell me please..." I am begging for an answer. I am exhausted and I need this to be good. I don't know if I can last a fourth try and I don't want him to do it with me the fourth time either. I saw him massaging his neck and yawning already several times, yet still pull off an encouraging smile to me.

"Not bad!" 

"Serious?" I am doubtful because he could potentially lie to make me feel better. He hands the spoon to me and gestures me to try it myself. I hesitate to try it myself and when I gather my courage and place one mouthful in my mouth...I am surprised by the results. He's not lying, I am impressed with myself. It's not only edible, it actually tastes pleasing. Not amazing but for my standard, average is good.

"You can practice more while I go wash up first okay? We can continue later" 

I nodded. Grateful, thankful right from the bottom of my heart as I watch him leaving the kitchen. Only when he's out of sight, I verbalised my gratitude even though it was only for me to hear. 

***

Iwata POV

 

"Hikari, I'm done." While drying my hair, I stumbled out, only to see her nowhere in sight. Hollered her name, yet no reply. I scanned beyond my kitchen and see a tired girl sprawled on my couch.  

This little girl, I have so much mixed feelings for her. She's so brave and it makes me want to wholeheartedly protect her. Yet at the same time, i am supposed to be nothing more than a bystander. That's a position I took, an oath I take to those people. I wonder how long her innocence will last, that innocence which is mesmerising yet harmful to herself. Nonetheless, I hope it lasts a lifetime and she remains oblivious to the many plots and schemes in this world. I dread the day she realises reality and takes away the smile she has. But I swore, when that day comes, I cease my role as a bystander, and protects her the way I couldn't now. I brushed her fringe away from her face, she is so sound asleep. Her exhaustion is so apparent. A smile creeps up my lips, perhaps it's this innocence again. I wrap her up and brought her to my room, then covering her with the blanket, ensuring she's cozy enough.

I stepped out and picked up a call, it's Shohei, as expected. "She's here with me."

"Heard from Yuto. You're one of our better cooks. You'll be an amazing mentor."

"Shohei..."

"Yes? You sound troubled..."

"Anou... Hikari is still very young. I thought maybe, it isn't really time. Are we being too harsh?"

"You know the circumstances. Coronation has to happen and there's no second choice."

"I know... but I just don't think the way we do is right..."

"It's never about what's right. You know this, Iwata. It's beyond our control, so there's no point brooding over it"

It's not like I didn't envisage his answers. I yearned for a reminder of the tough 'circumstances' perhaps. It's not my war to fight after all. 

Next morning, I find myself ridiculously staring at the girl cycling so freely against the wind in my other bike that brought back so much bitterness. As I let my wheels behind her, I see the shadows of that other person. That vibe was similar, that scent of freedom and freewill. I almost killed these for that person.

"Iwata-kun! I reached. I can just leave the bike here?" 

"Sure. I'll get my staff to bring it back later." I answered as soon as I gained my consciousness from my delusions. As I looked at Hikari once more, I said solemnly under my breathe that it's never enough apologies I feel towards you because I'm no more than just a bystander and I'm really just a selfish person.

***

Daiki POV

 

"I just hate it when you drink so much when I'm not around. I'm not forbidding you from drinking, just not without my presence" I raised my voice alittle while reasoning to my girlfriend who's in a notorious school in the neighbourhood. Well, Horikoshi is fairly prestigious school that has consistently given good results, while my girlfriend's school is the exact opposite. It's Filled with junkies and violent gangs, and she herself is a victim of school bullying. She's year 1, newly matriculated. She is always loitering outside Horikoshi until I realise the purpose - that is her major crush on me. I didn't care much until I witness her one day being trashed by a group of her school girls, dump her with water on the streets. Nobody dared to interfere and offer their help to her as usual, and I thought I'll do the same. I took pity on her and managed to save her from the situation. Increasingly, I felt she has this pulling strength that makes me want to keep her safe. Yet, there's just so much I can do in such a defunct environment of her growth. She has abusive father and a promiscuous mother. She even gradually fail her exams deliberately, thinking it'll stop her torment from her jealous classmates. She made herself tough by trying to fit in their hedonistic lifestyles. Yesterday, she forced herself to go those social events in a pub where those mean girls from her class left her drunk. Luckily, I frequent the pub with Ryosuke and the rest, so the servers are almost friends with us. They told me about her, and I managed to bring her back home. Really helpless with her when she accepts all my reprimand without a word of argument. My anger can't last another minute. I can't basically blame her since she is undeniably the victim of our damned political system where we are all stuck in a vicious cycle of our own wealth level. The unsuccessful and poor remains so, I'm lucky my parents are slightly better to do. Corruption is rampant and I'm talking about LEGALISED corruption by the government. Almost all of us in Horikoshi had to pay a bribe before getting in. Those who can't afford, yea, 3rd class institutions like the ones my girlfriend is in now. The worst is we have our monarchy as a useless bystander, isn't it's historical role supposed to be keeping our government in check and looking out for the welfare of the people. Depressing thoughts in the morning doesn't help at all. Oh, here's someone fun to toy with.

"Hikari!" I gave tackled her from the back and locked her in my arms, stretched across her shoulders. 

"Heh.. ohayou, Arioka-san." 

I'm right, fooling with her is fun. Her startled look is amusing. "Hmmm, about that dude..." I looked over to the guy who took her bicycle after she alighted. Gorgeous gentleman, definitely an adult with some class. Looking at her flustered expression, she seems not to want anyone to notice that guy. He somehow seems familiar but whatever it is, I'm curious now, especially with her stammering and her incoherent answers.

"... he's not..."

I think I know her secret, so I decided to further. It's fun. "Ah... I think I know..."

"No, no, Arioka-san, it's not what you think. He's not..." i was surprised how she is completely overreacting, pulling my sleeves and pleading.

I laughed, "chill, I know, he is 'not' your boyfriend right?"

That relief instantly showing on her face is hilarious, and I even thought that relief suggest that he's more than her boyfriend. 

"Boyfriend? Of course not" she laughed it off, with my brows very must twisted in doubt of her suspicious reaction.

"Stop teasing her already..." someone brushed past me with angst in his comments, as if someone offended him. Oh, it's Ryosuke. Hikari and I exchanged glances then we both ran up to him.

"... Ryosuke, is it your sister's problem?" she daringly asked. That intense glare she invited from him, I knew it's a wrong move. He hates people intruding into his affairs, especially his family's, and she is so oblivious that she went on. Can't she see he's angry already?! "...I overheard that day when you're on your phone... you found your sister already?"

"Ah, so you're a busybody too." he remarked. 

"She's just concerned... anyway, Hikari, you needed me to show you the way to the library right... let's go. I'll catch up with you later, Ryosuke." I dragged her away since she is so insensitive that Ryosuke needs his space.

"Hikari, it's not about his sister... next time, you have to see circumstances before you asked anything."

"He's gonna be angry with me..." she sulks. That's quite adorable though. 

"Not to worry though. Just apologise when he's approachable. He's not that grudge-bearing. Anyway, he's having some trouble with the soccer team, that's why."

"You mean the one I messed up?"

"That's passé, Hikari. The junior male soccer team is going for a national championship. The number one hateful Vice President from next class, Masaki Suda is overseeing this match and he is always resisting Ryosuke's leadership. He must have pissed Ryosuke off again."

"Like a rebel?"

"Exactly. Anyway nice talking to you this morning. We should get to class soon."

"Arioka-san..."

"Just call me Daiki."

"Is it okay for you to be my friend?" 

So that's the question Ryosuke and Chinen are talking about. They did mention she's weird. Rather than weird, I thought she's a rare breed that puts so much efforts in friendship. This supposed purity in itself is the epitome of weirdness.

"It takes alot to be my friend though" I further, clinging my arm over her neck, playfully strangling her under my arm. The more she struggled, trying to wriggle out of my restrain, the more joy I found teasing her. 

Strangely I noticed her optimism despite the huge blunder she made yesterday. Yet it wasn't well received by the person she hurt most. Yudai's hostility start to me feel slightly bad for her. 

"What are you staring at..." Airi who is standing beside me asked. "Are you pitying her now?!"

"Can't I? She didn't do on purpose, so Yudai is a bit harsh."

"There's alot of things she didn't do on purpose, but that doesn't mean she can be forgiven right. She annoyed Ryosuke too, didn't she."

"She didn't annoy me so I'm not gonna argue with you further" I shut Airi up and continued with the preparation for the second round of cooking of fried rice. This time, it's graded. Neither of us can afford to screw this up. Every pair is focused on the cooking, except that two who can't stop clashing.

"Give me one more chance. I'm sure I can do it, please"

"Get away." Yudai stepped overboard this time, pushing her backwards that her arm hit our hot wok behind her.

"Goodness! Hikari, are you hurt?!" Airi and I gasped the instance. The rest of class noticed it too. I swore that should hurt alot, but she denied. She's stubborn, though in nicer than terms, that's acting strong.

"Give her a break, Yudai... you aren't a good cook either... don't think there's any loss if you gave her another chance. Besides, your injury isn't that serious anyway" It's beyond his expectations that I would make an appeal for her. 

"Fine. Let's see what you can do." Yudai warned. I have my reservations too, but I did what I can. She proved us all wrong in a matter of minutes. Sure she is still clumsy, but the aroma is affirmative of her elevated skills. Everyone else is surprised too.

"Ryosuke, you successfully imparted your skills ne" Chinen shed light.

"Heh?! So Ryosuke skipped yesterday's gathering to help her?" Airi and Umika protested. I'm in no surprise, mr kind man is still the kindest. These ladies should really by now know his personality that so frequently gets misinterpreted as affection.

Her nervous hands served the plate of pipping hot fried rice, as if she's afraid Yudai might flick it off her hands. Reluctantly, Yudai dipped his spoon into the food and took a mouthful of it. I would describe the next instance as a vaccuum; everyone held their breathe to await Yudai's flare. Hikari had her eyes closed. Guess she has no confidence with herself as well.

"Not bad" 

Yudai said under his breathe, but it is clear he is satisfied with it. The class' reaction is mixed, some are relieved she did it, while most girls are unhappy. Jealousy? Or they are just hoping she messes up more. Sigh, girls and their incomprehensible thoughts.

"Wow. Congrats for not pissing Mr Angsty" I gave her a high 5, Chinen followed suit. Even the moody Ryosuke gave a light smile when she looked over to him, perhaps to express her gratitude. 

Yudai didn't forget to throw me a death stare after my credit liner, then turns to Hikari awkwardly, "how did you even change so much in a day..." she humbly acknowledged the compliment. She should really be happier though, especially it's a rare day to hear Yudai saying nice words. Before we left the class, I still hear him saying to Hikari who is the last one left in the class, "good job today. And sorry if I hurt you in anyway. Truce?" Even that smile she gave in return, was somewhat heavy and loaded. 

"Oi Yudai!" I surprised him from the back when I caught up to the clique. Ryosuke, Chinen also turned back with a startle. 

"Can you don't scare us?"

"Why, deep in discussion?"

"We're talking about Ryosuke's soccer team issue here..."

"Ah right. It's Suda ne. He's disobeying again?"

"If it's outright defiance, that would be easier to deal. It's more like, he and some of the guys are skipping practices recently and they all gave valid reasons..." Ryosuke explained in frustration.

"And so what's the problem? It doesn't sound like one..."

"It's fishy, to frequently take absence during a crucial period. The team junior captain shunshuke Miichieda can't convene a proper practice with so many missing players. He wanted to resolve at his end, until only yesterday I saw him so troubled."

"That boy is really useless. Bad choice choosing a quiet player, let alone a junior."

"He doesn't wanna disappoint me. I'm not blaming him for not alerting me earlier. Suda is supposed to be mentoring Miichieda but he's not helping at all. These absentees, I observed them this month, they aren't even seriously practicing. It's not hard to tell, it's like they aren't even trying to win. "

"Strange. But don't worry too much. There's nothing you can do anyway, let the kids run the show" the rest nodded in agreement with me.

"I guess..." 

"Anyway, Yudai... That girl, Hikari... I seriously think she's hurt."

"Yes, i know i upset her, but she hurt me too right..."

"I mean she's injured." I clarified myself, detailing her possible scalding when he pushed her towards our burning pan. 

"Oh that explains why her expression was heavy" Ryosuke remarked.

"Ryosuke, you saw?"

"Yes. But I didn't know she burnt herself. Don't worry, Yudai, I think she's old enough to go to the nurse's office to get some cream." Ryosuke gave a pat on Yudai's shoulders. 

"Why do I feel guilty... seriously..." he rattled. Laugh. Rarely do we see such a guilt-stricken Yudai. He stomped off, leaving the rest of us behind.

"I'll be going too. Will just drop by the soccer room to get my sports shoes," Ryosuke said. Chinen as usual is all needy - he had to give Ryosuke a role.

"Help me pick up my new jersey please..."

"I'm your wallet, now I'm your servant too?" 

"Can I have you as my servant too?" I joined, earning a slap from Ryosuke on my back before he helplessly walk the other way. 

***

 

Iwata POV

 

I sat at a cafe I used to frequent. Top floor, window-facing, I could oversee the busy crossroads below. Since when did I start liking to observe people, and making a guess on their lives. I guess it's when I caught on her habits. I find myself stupidly smiling as I recalled those moments together, at the same spot.

"What is in for me if you lose?" she asked with the widened eyes. I can remember her beautiful beady eyes that shimmers.

"Hmm... a kiss?"

"That's all? You can do better Iwata."

"Hmm...your apartment or mine?" 

"What are you thinking, mister..." 

I deliberately cause her irritated face that resolves into a chuckle is so adorable. That animated girlfriend of mine, her every little gesture is edged in my mind. I now stared at the empty seat in front of me she once occupied, my heart too feel the emptiness. I recalled she wanted a home-cooked meal if I had lost in our little game of people-watching. The truth is, I would have cooked for her anytime she asked. Her expectation of life is simple but she works so hard for that simplicity that she neglects her own health. So often she didn't even have a proper meal that she ends up with some acute pain.Doesn't help when she's staying alone. 

"Are you eating well? How are you?" There's so many questions I wanna ask her directly. I quietly watched her in the shadows when we first broke up, and she isn't good at all. But at least I could still watch her then. However, she moved away, somewhere out of my sight. Perhaps it's best for us in the long term, to be away from each others presence but in the short term, I was driven insane by her absence. Even 5 years later, I am missing her to a point that tests my sanity. That explains why drinking a cup of tea tastes more like alcohol and I'm already feeling tipsy, drowsy. Drunk from my sorrows. 

My convictions however cannot be any clearer, that if I hadn't left her, my circumstances would have hurt her so much more. My brutal departure from you, one without goodbye, is my only way of telling you I love you. 

"Iwata."

I looked up to see Yabu who is still in his usual punctuality. He sat himself down. I could hear his silent sigh and I had to ask what's bothering. 

"It's Yuriko."

"And what about her?"

"She really pretends to be tough." Yabu was in frowns, like as if her being weak is his problem. 

"She ain't weak either though."

"Don't be surprise, sometimes, Hikari is much stronger than she appears to be."

"The debate can go on but exactly whats up with Yuriko? Isn't her role just a nurse?"

"I thought the biggest challenge would be that she's not exactly skilled in her assigned role. But turned out she is sort of gotten herself a s a victim of harassment."

"What?! You mean from the students?"

"She would seriously have disciplined the student quite horribly if it had been. It's a teacher instead.

"Oh... that's just, disgraceful... how did you know of it?"

"I was just passing by. The door was unusually closed. I could hear noises, as if she's struggling. I quietly opened the door then saw the teacher pinning her against the wall. So I confronted him. Frankly, that's my biggest frustration. This Yuriko could have gave a better response. Now my identity is a mess."

"Like how?"

"Like I'm now his supposed boyfriend."

I burst out laughing a little until he threw me a death stare. "Well, that's a legitimate answer for a second intruder like yourself who can't quite explain your purpose in the nurse's room during school hours right."

Yabu probably regretted even complaining to me now. He changed the topic immediately before I could go on any further. "How's Hikari?"

"I don't know whether I was of any help. I did what I can to give her crash course for her cooking showdown today. Hopefully, she can impress that kid, called..."

"Yudai, Chiba Yudai. An average guy, nothing much about him except he is those kind who is rather intellectual and doesn't require as much efforts to score moderately well in exams."

"Oh, that's irritating..." 

"If he knew his cooking partner is the crown princess, he'll probably pee in his pants for being unruly

"He's lucky he won't know at all." I chuckled with a heavy thought. yabu might have seen through me immediately, and I am even wondering if Shohei had told him about our conversations yesterday.

"Hikari's road is planned out for her, whether she likes it or not. And being her day in day out, I know this girl isn't oblivious of her fate. She knows and is giving her best. All we can do is to support her where we can and not make her confused."

"You're right." I solemnly acknowledged the kind reminder and I figured this was Yabu's purpose of meeting me instead of protecting her. I had to trust her bravery and hope for her continued brilliance. That's my duty.

***

Airi POV

"You what?!! You told her to come here?" Umika grumbled to me as I told her I texted Hikari to come. I didn't willingly do it of course, if it's not because she overheard us in the toilet gossiping about her, backstabbing her, I wouldn't have. I kinda feel bad for that. It's the first time I rather be guys because they are less likely to be engaging in such iness. 

"We were very nasty with our words and she heard it. If she tells Chinen about it, what will he think of us... Umika, trust me that I dislike her as much as you but I think we are kind of overboard earlier."

Umika didn't want to speak but continued mixing her alcohol. It's a pub our clique normally gathers and we know the pub owner Yumehito well. He serves us a generous amount of alcohol at much discounted rates, however that comes with very close supervision.

"Are the guys coming already? I have to get back before my parents." Umika still sounded frustrated by the plans she didn't agree to.

"Ryosuke said he will be late. Daiki and Yudai will be coming much later. Chinen is missing in action as usual. Maybe you wanna call him? He will pick up your call, surely." This never fails to make her blush, and I knew it's my best shot at distracting her from her frustration. I watched her call Chinen and it's always my favourite part of shy Umika. I made her put it on loud speaker so I can completely .

"Chinen~ will you be coming to Yumehito?"

"I'll try, but I'm not quite done with my errands."

"Is it your mum's birthday surprise?"

"Ah yes... i walked the entire shopping street and I can't find a single gift for my mum."

"I can help!"

Seriously, Umika? She is already intending to abandon me for her sweetheart before they date. I mean, what am I expecting from her once they actually become a couple. I throw her a death stare but I guess there's no friendship in love.

"If you don't mind, thanks Umika! I'm in the city area, we can meet at a cafe. Let me look around for a nice one and I'll text you the address."

"Sure. I'll make my way to the city first. See you!" Umika delightfully hung up the call then spring up on her feet with her victory sign on her fingers. I didn't share her celebratory note.

"Sorry Airi... you know I can't say no to Chinen... you're excited for me right?"

"It's not even a date."

She pouted. I relented. That's the dynamics we have. Give and take, I guess. I should also find myself a crush like Ryosuke then change the status quo. I gestured for her to get lost before I change my mind and kidnap her. 

"Airi-chan..."

Oh great. Now Miss-Troublemaker is here. 

"Hi, Hikari. You're early and the rest aren't here yet. Except Umika who left slightly before you arrived... are you not going to sit down?" She's definitely awkward. Do I need to issue an invitation for her. I took a whole mouthful of alcohol to try to keep my sanity.

"Want some?" I poured a glass for her when I saw her with curious eyes. I swear I thought she hasn't drank before but she poured it down in one shot. Her immediate expression was classic. Squinting and trembling, her face says it all. 

"You okay?"

She nodded, still trying to recover from that apparent shock. I can't spend another minute alone with her, she awkward as it can be. 

"Hikari... I'm leaving first. you're meeting the guys, they'll be here in an hour I guess. Bye." I stood up.

"Airi..." she seems to wanna say something but I ain't interested in it anyway. Soon I don't have the capacity to too. My right of way is blocked by a group of girls, much more hateful than Hikari.

"Hey, Matsui Airi. Aka the loser..." the obnoxious leader i always remembered her to be. 

Disgruntled, but I heeded my inner conscience to prevent any unnecessary escalation of emotions, "go away Aya." I shrugged them away and walked through them.

"We should have a drink at least, for old time sake. Ah, Isn't this the player who totally messed it up for you. But frankly, even if she hadn't messed up, we would have still trashed your team."

"Can you just shut up!" I turn back in my furious raging from beneath my veins. 

"Why? Offended? Losers has no rights to throw tantrum." 

I was at the tipping point. Taking up a glass of alcohol, I recklessly just poured it over her face. Hikari and the nasty girls gasped in a coordinated manner. "I can do whatever I want, nasty girl"

"You..." 

The other girls reacted and pulled my hair, pushing me left and right, and we ended in a catfight where i was outnumbered. I could hear Hikari's hysteria as they dragged me out of the pub.

"Ahhhh...." I was at the losing position. Slammed against the concrete wall, I could feel a stinging sensation against my forehead. i scrapped my knees as they forced me on the ground, kneeling. I was restrained with no way of escaping. In a matter of seconds, Aya's palm is coming right at my face. The slap is deafening but the pain is none.

"Hikari...!" 

I am dumbfounded that anyone would do that for me, to sustain such a humiliating, dehumanising treatment. Even if she is to be blamed partly for the blunder, this is too much for her to bear. She didn't know there is a long-standing feud I have with this opponents. 

"Don't you dare hit my friend!"

"Ah, Airi, you really have a stupid member ne."

I am shocked at her sudden daredevil style. She pushed Aya who staggered back a few steps, "I'm not from the club and it's my mistake, not Airi, so stop this. Do whatever you want to me, and leave her alone!"

"Hikari, what are you saying... you don't have to do this..."

"Even if you don't wanna friend me, I can totally understand. But You can't stop me from wanting to be yours. I won't allow anyone to hurt my friend. It's my fault so I deserve it."

"No one deserves this, silly." I shook those girls away and pulled Hikari to my side. We exchanged glances, and it was a moment of deep reflection.

"On a count of 3..." I whispered to Hikari while Aya is yelling to us. She looks lost, but I'm sure she has basic instincts of survival. 

"3! Run!!!!!" I kicked one of the girls in front of our way then pulled Hikari along in the opened path. She's slow, and the girls are catching up. I can't possibly leave her behind a mess that I started. 

"Hikari, run! I'll hold them back."

"Huh?"

"Just run! Don't look back!" I pushed her forward and made sure she continued running before resigning to my fate. I stood in their path and as much as I tried to hold all of them back, some got past me and continued their pursuit of Hikari. At least I stalled some time to give Hikari a bigger lead time, while me, I'm kicked hard onto the ground. My stomach hurts with the impact from the kick that got me rolling onto the ground. Crouching and holding on to my stomach, I refused to beg for pardon. This awfully reminded me the time when I was still very much associated with them. Ryosuke rescued me back then, but I cant expect my knight in shinning armour to rescue a damsel twice. Yet such miracles do happen right when my hope is dwindling. A shadow covered me and the twilight casted upon him flaunted his tall and build. My knight this night looks exceptionally dreamy and unreal. It's not Ryosuke, neither is it someone I know.

***