Lost in camp

Chronicles of Princess Hikari

Hikari POV

I waited within the school compounds, right after the gate, somewhere Yabu will be at ease instead of standing blatantly outside. I patiently waited for that someone. I had to confess my feelings. I was desperate. When I finally saw him approaching, my eyes lighted.

"Ohayou Ryosuke!" I expressed my exhilaration in the greetings and he was taken aback but recovered with a subtle smile.

"Ohayou. You're not waiting for me, right?" He said while the two of us walked side by side past the fields, towards the class, and was startled when I said I was. He's even more appalled when I confessed.

"I'm sorry about yesterday."

"Don't tell me you're bothered about it since last afternoon."

I scratched my head and lowered my head in guilt. His gentle tone warms me up in a breeze morning. "My bad, I shouldn't have vented on you. I'm not angry over you, really. I was just more sensitive yesterday. Stop thinking about it already, Hikari" he chuckled while giving me a pat on my shoulders. When I raised my gaze, I saw he is already full of his sunshine smiles and  walked past me before I could come out of my own trance. I rushed to catch up with him. 

I see some knots on his brows. Recalling the previous incident where I was too nosy, I was cautious this time. "Ryosuke, you wanna share about your problems? I can listen out, even if I can't help?"

I thought he's gonna blow his top when he turned to me."You heard a little from the rest I supposed?" I nodded. His reaction was the opposite though. "The team due for competition, I don't think they're just missing practice. I spoke to Suda and he was so reluctant to spend anytime on it. It's like as though he knew either we're bound to lose or the match just wouldn't go on."

"Why do you say so? No one will aspire to lose, i think..."

"Exactly. You think so too right, Hikari.. things are strange right now but I really don't know what is it..." he became excited to share, perhaps he realised I could understand now. 

"Could it be the leaders' characters affecting the players?" I hinted. This I had learnt in sensei's class that leaders can cause the rise and fall of all modernised capitalist states. Including me. 

"Miichieda is the team captain for this competition. He's always hardworking, and that has always been a positive influence and motivation to his teammates even if he's not the best at the sport. I handpicked him to be captain for the exact reason. Suda who's mentoring them this round, is cocky and always go against me because I was occupying the role of club president and not him. He has been sore but he is still very driven by his goal of achieving better results than me. He will still put the interest of the club in the front, so I don't see how either of them is the reason for the sluggish behaviour of the entire team."

Deep in thoughts, I think i allowed the silence to drag a bit too long, completely not realising Ryosuke was staring at me with amuse. "That's too hard a ponder, silly" he knocked my head with a very wide smile and laughters. I was glad I had that ability to bring happiness. At least I feel I did. "By the way, so you're going for the camp right?... it'll be fun if you go."

"You really think so?" 

"Of course." I felt happy that's what he thinks of me, mood maker I supposed. He suddenly shouldered me and cheekily said to my ears, "it's a chance to bond with the person you like in class too." 

"Heh?" Sincerely, I didn't know who he had in mind before he left me pondering so desperately. If it's anyone that makes me feel fuzzy thus far, there was only one. But I wasn't even sure what's that feeling, and he found out? 

It wasn't easy convincing Shohei to allow me to attend the camp, but much more than that, my hurdle was Yabu. He didn't exactly oppose, in fact he didn't say a word at all. When I searched for him, it was what I saw of him that kept me pondering if I should really go. That impression of him was carved in my mind. He was sitting in his study room. I specifically told his minions not to announce my presence so I could quietly stand behind the closed doors which I pried open slightly to reveal a view of him I couldn't recognise. He let go all his tiredness within the closed doors. I could see from his face, but not elsewhere. He kept his back straight, sitting like he was in deep meditation but positioned like he could pow on anyone who tries to sneak an attack. He must be so exhausted he didn't hear me breathing through the gaps. Other times, he would even hear the needle drop. Something that caught my attention was the scars on his forearm. I have seen this, actually, I caused it. An old samurai sword held by a unhappy citizenbbrutally swung its way towards me, cutting through the wind and about to land on me who was then just rebellious 8 years old dashing out of sensei's private class. Yabu who was only 15 but ranked high in the security force, the only one of his age to be part of my personal , hesitated not another second before he used himself as a human shield. It cuts across deeply at this forearms and ribs. Normally, I wouldn't see it beneath his suit, but when he let his guard down, leaving only a tank top, I see the wounds I caused that day. It reminds me of how whatever I do always greatly impacts his job. He would be much safer if he isn't assigned to protect me, but another princess.

"Princess..."

"Heh?!"

"I can hear your sobbing." He ranted while gazing me from his seat. I guiltily walked in then sat in front of him. I gently traced his scars unannounced and he responded with a sigh.

"Does it hurt still?"

"Not at all," he reached out for my eyes where my tear has unconsciously fallen. A tear turns out to a watershed. In my clouded eyes, I followed his gesture to sit beside him. His stern eyes soften as it meets mine, and with a gentle smile he said the most comforting words.

"This scar, you, they all mean something important to me you know?"

"They mean trouble?"

"No. It reminds me of my master I vowed to protect at all costs. It's my pleasure to be able to protect you."

"Yabu... you would have thought of giving me up and request to protect another princess. It's much safer"

"Never have I thought of that. Protecting Those other demure princesses would be too meaningless for me. I would never trade you for them. Despite the danger, you're fun. And moments like this, you're just like my little sister."

Streams of tears run down my eyes. I paused to absorb. "You're my brother too. Always keeping me in check. I hope it'll never change" 

He chuckled then brought me closer for a brief embrace. He patted me and consoled me, and the heavy night turns soft like the peaceful sky. The fact remains that my decision to go for the camp isn't gonna be just affecting me but it affects so many others. Yabu especially since Yuto isn't around (also because of me). I hereby sincerely vow to ensure I don't get into any more trouble.

I raised my head to see the big bus in front of me. The whole class heading up. I'm excited, at the same time, worried, of myself.

"Oi Baka. Stop being irritating." Daiki grumbled at Ryosuke who can't stop laughing with Chinen in front of me. Airi told me that's a norm for the guys. They just love to tease each other, and it's always fun to irritate Daiki the most. I chuckled.

"See, even Hikari is laughing at you..." Ryosuke exclaimed in his hearty laughter that's quite contagious. 

"No no no" I quickly denied before I get myself involved.

Daiki propped himself beside me, grabbing me by my shoulders, "Can you stop influencing the nice Hikari...?"

"Ah... Hikari, oh no, you made it into Daiki's favourite list." Airi teased and she gave Yudai a high-5.

"Heh?!" I was completely lost in the midst of their inside joke. Was I overreacting? Cause when my eyes met Ryosuke's, I possibly appeared in a desperate plea for help. He gave me a reassuring smile.

"Ignore them. Hikari, I'll sit with you today!" Daiki claimed as though I was an object. Fortunately I didn't mind it at all. Partly because I didn't have a partner. It's natural Airi would sit with Umika though she tried to arrange Chinen to. Ryosuke was supposed to be sitting with Daiki so that Chinen naturally sits with Umika, but Chinen ended up with Ryosuke. The rest were commenting how Chinen is a complete blockhead, and Ryosuke was really helpless cause he couldn't explain why he refused to sit with his best friend Chinen. It's complicated and it took me a while to fully comprehend. Throughout the journey to the supposedly isolated forestry, Daiki is genuinely giving off a brotherly vibe. He helped me with so much stuff, like opening a bottle of mineral water, sharing a piece of bread he brought. Speaking of that, I was probably the biggest idiot not to have brought any food for the long journey. More importantly, it felt like I cannot put my guard down because Daiki is very sharp, and whenever I thought I could rest, he will suddenly ask, "Hikari..." with his eyes penetrating mine

"Yes?" I said with paranoia. My voice is trembling, and that should have given me away.

"You're weird... but I can't quite tell how..."

Again? He is very sharp and I can't guarantee from the first time he said this till the second time now, what had he noticed? And is this sort of a crucial discovery?

"Don't take offence. I just think you're so pure. Like a ?"

"HEH?!"

My reaction surprised the boys behind. Ryosuke and Chinen both stood up and gave him a knock on his head. "That's rude"

"It's figurative dudes. I mean (sigh)..." he looks like he gave up explaining whatever is in his mind. He apologised. There's no need for me to apologise anyway, it's the truth. Also, if he meant it figurative, it's true too. There's so many things I don't know and I am always doing wrong things, I acknowledged my weirdness. The bus ride is actually a good ice breaker for me and Daiki. By the end of it, he has superceded many others in my personal ranking of persons who make me feel comfortable. 

I've never been to a forest, let alone staying in one. The closest I have been to nature is riding a horse from the royal stable. I was appalled by how thick and dense the forest was. There's a small path leading to the inside and we began pacing inwards. Everyone didn't seem to have a problem, but I was. Struggling with my bag which Yuto normally helps me with. What's more, a bad time for camp with my period tormenting me. Usually in this time of the month, I would ask for leave, lying in bed in agony from the bad cramps. 

"Come on babe. At this rate, you'll lag behind" Daiki grabbed my bag and carried it for me. I was thankful, so much. While trailing towards the campsite, Airi walked beside me while she created opportunity for Chinen.

"Hmmm Hikari... your friend is a real cutie, ne"

"My friend?"

"Nakajima Yuto..."

"Heh? He... yea he is my friend." Goodness, I totally forgot I told Yuto to save her from those girls. I can't believe he would impress upon Airi, in fact, I could feel strong feelings she has for him. Oh no, love at first sight?

"I can't contact him. I hope he's not avoiding me?" 

They exchanged numbers? Oh wow, now I'm curious how Yuto feels of her. He does attract many young princesses back in the palace and some royal subjects are listing him as a potential son-in-law. I agreed with him that some of those bachelorette are too desperate and have a bad character. If it's Airi, I think it'll be nice. Problem is, I'll be the roadblock. They can't date without exposing my identity. Hearing her excitement, I feel sorry. I'll swear I help them if Yuto feels the same for her.

"He's out of town. He'll probably contact you when he's back?"

"I see. Hikari, just one thing I wanna ask from you..."

"Yes?" 

"Do you like Yuto?"

"No. He's like my big brother, that's all" I said it naturally, immediately. There's no hesitation at all cause i had this answer in me all the time. He's my best friend, my girlfriend, my brother, my family. 

"Great! Anyway, if Daiki bullies you, let me know. I'll get even with him."

"Excuse me, I'm already carrying her bag. How's that bullying her. Right, Hikari? She's the real bully.."

"Stop there, Arioka Daiki" the duo started running around. Chinen, Umika, Yudai and Ryosuke followed close behind. I was initially behind them but gradually I got slower and slower. The walk was just too long. 

"Hikari, we're reaching. Let's keep it up" the other girls in the class who were around me hollered. I made sure I stick with them and kept them close at my sight. Once there, I noticed the bunks were neatly lined up in 2 rows of 12 each. The guys take the front bunks, the girls get the back. Airi, Umika and I are in the extreme right bunk, and in front of us are Daiki, Chinen and Ryosuke. Once we are all unpacked, Airi and Umika invited me to explore the site with guys. I loved to go, but I really would be a burden when my pain doesn't seem to go off. I politely declined saying I'm tired, and they accepted the reason readily. Perhaps my tiredness is written all over my face. My plans to just sit and daze until they come back from exploration was sort of disrupted when I heard a thumping sound, like someone is chopping something. Since I've rested alittle, I decided to check it out but when I reached the source of the sound, I was in for a pleasant surprise.

"Ryosuke, what are you doing?"

For the first time, I see his arm muscles exposed since he was wearing just tanktop and jeans. His muscles were tight as he swing the seemingly heavy axe on the thick wood log, splitting them into half. 

"Ah, Hikari... I'm chopping the wood for campfire tomorrow."

"I see... you're alone?"

"Those guys are supposed to be helping but you know them, they're lazy. (Sigh) I can handle myself.... Hikari, you don't wanna stand there, in case the cut wood fly towards you " he said when he saw me sitting on the opposite side. I quickly evacuated to his side as I gestured. Maybe it was my actions or my reactions, he remarked I am cute. I blushed helplessly. When those sons of conglomerates tell me this (pretentiously to get my favour), I feel it was gross and disgusting. Yet when Ryosuke said it, I felt fuzzy all over. He didn't know who I am, that makes a whole of difference. The day he finds out my identity, how will things change?

"Can I Iearn?" I asked after looking at him do for a while. I wanted to help cause he's working so hard at it, drops of sweat trickling down his forehead. How difficult can it be?

"Sure. If you don't mind that it's really tough."

He handed me the axe and reminded me to be absolutely careful with it. Having watched him do at least 10 logs, I believe I can do it. I just have to mirror what he did. Putting the log straightup, I raised the axe then swing it down. It's heavy, so heavy, I squinted my eyes, and eventually shut it upon impact. Even the impact felt wrong. I opened my eyes, only to see that i missed the log completely and it has fallen over. Ryosuke was amused and his brows twisted, watching me from the side. "Careful lady... you're playing with dangerous tools and your eyes are closed... come I'll show you how."

I didn't know what he was going to do until he went behind me, his back leaned against mine, his arms overlapped mine, then his hands grabbed both of mine with the axe firmly held in both our hands. It happened in a split second, but that second, my heart seemed to have stopped breathing.

"Hikari? You are too stiff. Relax a little." I followed his instructions and kept myself undistracted. I let him guide me, pulling the axe slightly above my head then on the count of 3, he told me to swing it down without hesitation. One swing, the log broke into 2. 

"Yeahhh!" I jumped in joy and gave him a high 5 as he held up his hand in a cheeky smile. 

"You're really cheerful" he ruffled her hair then continued the work. I probably was too engrossed in the activity that I forgot the discomfort in my body. "Itai..." i softly gasped. Then I sat back down and dazed while holding my pain in. He didn't speak, I didn't either. He did take a few glances at me, but I was so tired I just let it be. We just kept each other accompanied in silence. And I hope it had been longer. Cause when the rest are back, I regretted I hadn't rest more.

The sun was blazing and even under the shelter of the huge trees above us, some of the sunlight still shines through. To top it off, we each had to carry our own basic necessities that will last us in this one entire evening jog around the forest. Yes, it's a literal estimation of 6 hours run. How can I make it? My bagpack is heavy, my cramps are killing me, and even without all these factors, I can't for goodness sake run.

"Have fun Hikari! It's your first run with the class." Umika said with Airi nodding beside.

"I'm guessing Sensei forgotten to do the intro. This is our tradition. We are year 3, so we have done this twice since entering Horikoshi. It's called the bonding all-for-one,one-for-all run and as the name suggests, it's for building camaraderie. And if there's any unhappiness, it should be forgiven and forgotten after the run." Umika added.

"That's right! We didn't expect a new transfer student in the last year so it'll be fun!" Yudai joined in and said. That's the nicest thing he said to me since I joined the class and it's the clearest indication that he's my friend now. Sensei flagged off the race, I am already struggling to keep up with the clique from the beginning even though I could feel they were already accommodating my speed. After a while, Daiki and Airi were racing each other in the front. Yudai and Ryosuke went ahead, Umika was lagging behind (though still in front of me) . Chinen accompanied her. That's sweet. I saw it from where I am, he deliberately slowed down for her. Me, I ran with the rest of the class. The other girls in class weren't as fast as the athletic clique I'm in, so they ran with me. However, i was still the weakest link. They cheered me on, later they too ran ahead. Well, I told them too.

Till i regretted.

Seriously.

I was alone. The darkness slowly looms. How far more, I don't know. The path seems endless.

"Itai!" I stepped on a groove, twisted my ankle, scrapped my knees and my palms. It's so painful. So so painful, my cramps too. I was panting, sweating, exhausted. I can't even pull myself up anymore. I am really not throwing tantrums when I sat on a log and buried my head between my knees tugged close to my chest. It eases my cramps slightly. I became lazy, I didn't wanna try moving at all. Even the silence doesn't disturb me anymore. It has been a long time since I get this peace to reflect, to think...

***

Ryosuke POV

"I heard there's an exciting lineup today for campfire. Are you excited, Ryosuke?" Yudai smirked while running along side me. I don't know what the smirk means but it's a little bothering. I pressured him to ask what exactly he's hinting, but he denied. I'm just gonna take it as my paranoia at play. 

"Anyway Ryo, your stamina is no joke. I'm panting crazy and you are running so normally."

"That's because you are talking. Yudai, that's Airi, Daiki at the finishing."

"They are really dorks. Racing in a long distance run."

"Luckily there're athletic." I remarked. We reached and it's only when we stop, I realised how tired I am. Drowned by my sweat, I sat with the early duo, trying to catch my breathe. I did some people-watching, those who arrived later, most were pale. What's heartwarming is that every student was supporting each other's journey. 

"Alright, that's 24. One more..." sensei counted. I looked around, intensely searching for the possible one person who is obviously pushing herself to the limits. I just wasn't proactive enough to make sure she doesn't fall behind.

"Damn." I stood up once I'm sure of it. "Hikari, anyone seen her?" The class filled in the mysteries, most say they saw her behind or they didn't see her at all. Airi and the rest were in frantic mode too. 

"Let's go find her!" Daiki and Chinen remarked.

"I think I know what's going on. I'll go. You guys stay around and help out with the campfire. I'll be back before you know it" I ran off. Personally, I feel it's faster with just one person in the search party if not coordination is a problem. Besides, it's too preliminary to raise any unnecessary alarm. Though it has been only a while since she joined, her character is so easy to read. Her silliness is quite adorable I must admit. Ran about half the distance, my point was proven. I am appalled not by the fact she gave up midways, she actually fell asleep in the middle of the forest. I sat beside her, and am thinking if I was a wild carnivore, I would have devoured her. She didn't wake up at all even though I'm sitting beside her and staring at her. 

I laughed at her unexplainable character. She heard me, raising her head in a daze. Took her at least a full half minute to realise it was me.

"You okay?"

She honestly shook her head. She made me laugh, again, like she has a contagious laughing bug that spreads everytime one gets close. It's hilarious how she allowed her agony to torment her to this extent and not say it.

"How did you find me?"

"Hmm, not hard. I could tell you're not athletic from the way you run. You don't exercise often , am i right?"

"It's so embarrassingly obvious" she covered her face. I chuckled, before patting her head lightly.

"And... you stepped on a groove I supposed?"

She nodded. I eyed her reddened ankle which she tried to hide. I reached out of it, and realised it's tender the moment she gasped when I touched it. "Ah, I have a ice pack to relief the swell." I took it out from my bagpack then mentally prepared her before lightly rubbing it. I made her hold it in place while I clean her scrapped wound on her knees and palms. The whole time, she looked at me like a puppy. 

"Hikari, if you're not feeling well from the beginning, you should have just said it to the girls."

"Huh?"

"Your cramps."

"Heh?! Y-you know too?"

"I have a sister you know. You were already in pain when we were preparing the campsite. I'm not that oblivious."

I saw her sigh. "I thought I could go through the camp without being a burden. Guess I'm still the troublemaker."

"Don't be too hard on yourself. It's alright to just say. Even to us guys. Airi and Umika, they have worst episodes. We're used to that."

"Thank you, Ryosuke," she smiled. She's so innocent, just like how Daiki had in mind. "Let's go. We should head back for the campfire" she stood up. Quite foolish to have forgotten the injury on her ankle. The moment she stood up, she almost fell back down. Fortunately, I caught her in time. That instant our eyes met, I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. Her clumsiness aside, she has her charm. Her eyes is round and pretty. Quite captivating.

"Careful... anyway, I don't think you make your way back. Sorry, I had to leave you behind."

"Heh? No no, Ryosuke please..." 

Love teasing her. She could sleep so peacefully alone in the wild earlier, now she had become so needy. I laughed. "Kidding. Of course I won't leave you behind... hop on, I'll piggyback you."

I bend down and she hopped on. Other girls would have been completely shy about it, since it actually involves bodily contact, but she's unusually alright with it like she does it quite frequently. That's good. At least she's not heavily feminists, especially the whinny ones.

"Ryosuke..."

"Yes?"

"We can chat freely right? I wanna know more about you..."

Well, that's mind-blowingly daring, something I completely didn't expect from her. It's not an open confession I hope. I gave her a benefit of doubt cause I think it's likely just a lack of vocabulary.

"Me?"

"Ah... i mean i like to learn more about my friends..."

"Now it sounds right. For a moment, I thought you are interested in me" I joked. We both laughed. "So what do you wanna know?"

"What's your dream?"

No one has ever asked me this question, so I would think I could deliberate very long on it or completely missed out on giving an answer. In fact, in this day and age, no one ever speaks greatly about their dream even if they dared to utter a word about it. Yet in front of her, I didn't think another second before revealing what I didn't know I had in my mind. 

" i want to work in the government. Maybe in the financial regulatory sector, the public housing sector or even manpower ministry. There's a lot that can be done for the welfare of the people."

There was a long pause. "Mmm it sounds quite stupid huh. (Laughs) especially how I'm not even in the right position to earn a spot in public service. First I'm not rich, then I'm not really that smart... But it's something I always wanted to do. To help the people of Aoihoshi achieve their own dreams, regardless of their identity or their wealth"

"It sounds great. I think you are capable enough. You are smart."

"Nah... (laughs) you think of that for everyone right."

She giggled.

"The public service isn't the easiest place to get in. Some people even if they have the right calibre won't get a place in it. It's money that makes the world go round."

Silence. Maybe it was too deep for her to understand. Then perhaps I should ask instead "what about you? Your dream?"

"Me?" She sounded surprised that anyone would even ask her this question. "I... never thought of that before."

"Seriously?! You're not thinking hard enough I guess. Everyone has a dream, even it's not achievable"

"It's not just about achieving though. I think there's no point trying cause it's impossible."

"How impossible? You made it sound like something out of this world. Even a lawyer isn't impossible in my opinion. It's hard to imagine you as one, but a dream is a dream. I won't judge neh."

I feel her digging into the crook of my neck. I assumed she was tired or she simply didn't wanna share anymore. Behind her cheery attitude, there seems to be a tint sense of desperation or should I say, devastation. Its like the world has no place for her dreams. Somehow having her on back, I can't help but feel she's like a little sister, not that I wish for it since a elder sister was already an irritant. But it'll be quite happy to have her around. She has a burst of positivity in her. So I piggybacked her  and strolled the same path back to camp, in quietness. 

The campfire is ready by the time we reached. There were cheers when she staggered towards the class, of course with my help. We sat in a circle, I took a seat between Airi and Daiki while she took a seat somewhere opposite me with Umika beside her. I glanced over at her like her parent making sure she has settled down. Her face glow brilliantly like none of the pain mattered anymore. I chuckled under my breathe by her innocence once again. 

Sensei stood up and gave her introductory speech to officiate this year's camp. Her speech wasn't long but she's always so nervous we can't help but . The endless laughters dragged the programme but neither of us mind. Finally when it's done, she introduced Hikari.

"Minna. It's not everyday we get a transfer student in the last year. I hope in these weeks of her entrance, you guys have known her better. For me, she's a very lovable girl, ne."

She is. Definitely. But us guys won't spare her (laughs). Yudai shouted first "she's funny too, sensei."

"Clumsy as well" I said with laughters. When I saw her pout and blushed, I added, "but she's adorable ne..."

Airi nailed the more serious part of the description though which resonated most, "she's very sincere towards her friends and she's always trying so hard to please us. Hikari, don't worry, just rely on us, okay" The class cheered in agreement. That's her charm I think.

"Okay okay. All of you know her well. I'm glad. Let's have Hikari say a few words"

She was startled. Especially when everyone looked at her. This part she's so terribly nervous that she stood and not speak for a full minute. Many of us feel sorry for her since not everyone is good at public speaking. But when she does speak, she sort of wow-ed me. 

"Minna. I'm sorry for causing trouble so far. Even up till today, I'm still messing things up. I'm glad I'm given a chance to let you guys know more about me and I promise to be a good friend to all of you too."

Friendship is just to me not that important cause we won't die without it. but somehow I feel Hikari is yearning for it, as if she was deprived for long. I felt it through her actions previously, but now that she explicitly says it, it became official. She was mumbling something under her breathe for a moment looking all guilty, but whatever she uttered wasn't audible at all. I shrugged it away cause it's the time for the highlight.

"Since Hikari is new, let's get her to be the first pair." Sensei said. The class cheered. She was lost, of course, until the rules was explained to her.

"Hikari, you need to choose a male partner to do the first dance with you. Then the rest of us will join. It's a class tradition." Airi shouted out. Hikari blushed, and it's so obvious even under the night sky. I was sure she's gonna choose Daiki. I would speculate her crush for him. It's too obvious. Everytime he interacts with her, she seems happy. Daiki is a sociable person, I knew it from the first day we met. I rubbed my nose with my head lowered, secretly sniggering at the thought of them dancing (something I can tease Daiki for). I hear the loud gasps, and I guessed it's the . But... my face gradually falls as the shadow in front of me sets.

"Me?!" I exclaimed when I found, she has chosen me. That can't be right. It should be Daiki, not me. Why? I'm confused. I stood up, tongue tied while she shyly remained silent. "Mm Hikari, anou... it's just that, I..."

"Ryosuke!" An excited voice from behind awakens the forest. Everyone turned to the source of the voice and it turned out to be the one person I miss dearly. She threw her arms around me and gave me a tight hug even though the class was looking. She had always been bold, so I ain't surprised.

"Kasumi~ you're back"

***

Hikari POV

Arimura Kasumi. Same age as us. 18. Stopped High School to further her interest in ballet in United States. She is a beaut, tall and has a naturally great personality. The class knew her, and she's popular both amongst the girls and guys. Lastly, her 3 years boyfriend is the guy I just openly requested to dance with - Yamada Ryosuke! The more Airi filled me in with the details the more I feel like I need to dig a hole and bury myself. It's too embarrassing. To be turned down is one thing, to be seen shamelessly requesting the dance from him by his girlfriend is another thing.

"She won't mind. Kasumi isn't the stingy kind." Umika comforted. The three of us sat in our bunk, chatting about the eventful day, and it can't seem to shift away from this.

"If she had mind, she wouldn't have left such a good catch, uncontrolled for 3 years. Ryosuke is a hottie you know. She would have lived in paranoia if she had to worry about the possibility of him getting flings and all." Airi reasoned.

"Exactly. Speaking of that, their long distance relationship worked pretty well, right Airi. We were still betting that their love will wither off after she moves abroad for her ballet dream"

"They were already a sweet couple when they first got together. I knew they'll succeed in the LDR. Now that she has made her big break, they can finally reunite. Hikari, don't you think their love story is really amazing? He is handsome and she's pretty, they were the centre of many jealous guys and girls "

I nodded, still trying to get over the awful embarrassment even though I am trying to appear alright. They were a good match for sure. 

"Hikari... isn't there something you should be telling us?" Umika and Airi clinged onto me while sitting on either side. I never had girlfriends this close except Yuriko, so I liked that feeling, notwithstanding their interrogation of course.

"Like what?"

"Like how you want your first dance partner to be Ryosuke?" Airi said with a cheeky smile.

"That's cause he had been the nicest guy to me so far. Chinen is too but he's Umika's so I didn't choose him"

"That's a very safe answer, Hikari. Just admit it girl, he's charming and all, if you have a crush on him, it's not illogical. Airi did too" Umika added, earning a slap on her back from Airi but the latter ended up nodding.

I did think before that he fits so well as a royal prince too or even better. He does give me some strange feelings whenever he's around but I'm not sure if that's how a crush supposed to feel like. As they link us together and speak of us like a single term, my face is burning intensely.

"Your face is telling the truth ne, Hikari..." Airi teased. We ended up tickling each other, we even had a pillow fight. It's hilarious, we laughed and played so freely I forgot who I was. When it ended and we sat leaning our heads on each other's shoulders, I had the thought of having them by my side my whole life. They're my first friends outside my role. It's important to me. But as I look at them, I realised I hadn't been the best friend to them. I lied. Would they ever forgive me when they find out I'm not even who they think I am.

There was a knock at the door that interrupted our girls' talk. Umika was faster. She leaped to the door and opened it, revealing someone I least expected.

"Y-Yuriko?" I murmured to myself, fortunately Airi didn't hear.

"Heh? Sensei, you're here?" Umika raised a question. It's probably what was in Airi's mind too.

"It is strange right? Since when the school nurse attends our camp" Daiki who was following behind Yuriko remarked. The rest nodded in agreement. Daiki continued to grill Yuriko for her presence.

"Sensei~ who instructed you though? It's not our sensei, I'm sure. She's so muddlehead."

I was immensely nervous for her. Before I could say anything, Yuriko finally broke her silence. I could feel fumes rising above her head since she isn't the kind that keeps quiet when juniors speak to her this way.

"I'm instructed by your school principal to ensure you guys are well taken care of. I'm here to nurse Hikari's injuries. I heard about it... young lady, if you are not properly treating it, it'll be a problem when you get older." Yuriko ignored Daiki's suspicious glare, went straight in to grab me out. I think my acting will only make things stranger so I shall just play along. Besides, I think Shohei or Iwata would have informed the only person who knew my existence, the principal, and he should have found a convincing story to make Yuriko's role here necessary.

"You are worrying. A twisted ankle, a scrapped knee and a broken heart..."

"Wait wait, what about a broken heart."

"That boy you asked to dance with you, he rejected you didn't he. Turn out, he has a girlfriend."

"I wasn't hurt by it okay."

"Your expression says a different thing"

"That's just..." I was tongue-tied. But whatever it is she assumes, is not true. I sighed. Yuriko continued to nurse my injuries until she was interrupted by a knock on the door. The knock was coded, I'm certain.

"There's someone who you would like to meet..." Yuriko announced with a soft smile. She hollered to the door and it swings open, to reveal a tall guy who makes me spring up from my seat, without any consideration for my injuries. It hurts but nothing beats giving the man a big hug.

"Yuto!!! You're back!"

"Are you that happy, your highness? I'm jealous" Yuriko said. Leaning on his chest comfortably, I didn't wanna let go. I could hear him chuckle. 

"Since when Yuto?" I asked after parting from his warmth.

He smirked, "Since you arrived..."

"Excuse me, mister, then you left me alone when I was stranded?" I whined while referring to the run around the forest.

"... of course I won't leave you in the lurge. If after awhile, no one comes for you or you're in danger of being pounced at by an animal, then I will jump out to your aid. But I know our dear princess will have her own saviours too. And I was right... unfortunately he rejected you."

"Not you too Yuto!" I pouted in protest.

"(Laughs) okay okay I apologise my princess. But... you really don't have special feelings him?" He wrapped me under his arms and listened intensely to my answers.

"Of course not. Yuto..."

"Okay okay. I'm just trying to be sure."

It sounded like as if it's a problem for me to like Ryosuke but I won't question his reaction in case it triggers more teasing from him. At least I convinced him it was nothing. I don't like him... I don't think I do...

"Here."

Suddenly a bottle of milk appeared right before me. Yuto has stretched out his hands offering the warm bottle which I needed so badly. 

"You're awesome! I really would die of pain."

"I knew it. This time of the month, you'll always gulp down a bottle of warm milk to soothen the cramps. I figured you will want it"

"How did you get it in the wild?"

"Hey hey, I'm a Royal guard. I definitely have my ways of getting it." 

We both chuckled. Suddenly it felt like I'm back home again with my best companions Yuriko and Yuto. The words from Airi and the kindness of Umika, Ryosuke, Daiki and Yudai, the love from my new friends made me the happiest person this night. Sincerely.

***

Umika POV

So, strangely, Airi and I were chatting about boys and all when she received a text from this guy saved as Yuto on her phone. She was exhilarated. He's probably the one she has been waiting for a response on her phone the whole week. I basically know the people in her life, the name Yuto however does not ring a bell. Who is he? I pondered while walking aimlessly in the campsite. It's already midnight. It wasn't fear of the dark thats creeping me, it's a sense of loneliness. I hate that feeling. As I gradually find myself engulfed by my own emotions, the campfire caught my attention. It's flame steadily lit in the twilight. It should have been extinguished by now. In front of the flame sits my prince. I stood where I was admiring his beauty. Everywhere he goes, he shines and glows like a happiness bubble. Nothing seems to put him down. He's not tall like fairytale princes, in fact he's the shortest guy in our class. Fortunately I'm still a tint bit shorter than he is. 

"Umika?"

I was discovered. I could have stood there undetected if it was Daiki or Yudai who are completely careless. My prince has sharp senses.

"Chinen~" I sat beside him, side by side. "What you doing so late into the night?"

"I figured Kasumi would like some catching up with Ryosuke, and besides I can't sleep so I'll just enjoy the night breeze and the stars then."

"They're still so in love with each other before. They're really the modern romeo and juliet"

"Hmm Umika, isn't that tale going to end tragic."

"Ohh no." I scrambled then we both broke out in laughter.

"What about you? Not able to sleep too?"

"Sort of. Just like you, my roomies are also preoccupied. Hikari is with the nurse and is not back yet. Airi is in love."

"In love?! With who?"

"I don't know, but a guy just texted her and she's over the moon. She just kept smiling to herself. So I gave her that alone time she needs"

"Ohh, that is interesting. We can do some investigation work to find out the lucky guy" he chuckled. He's always so nice in his words, I thought he would describe Airi's love interest to be the unfortunate one. At least the other guys would do that. 

"By the way, Umika... who do you like?" He asked while playing with the campfire with a thick branch. On the one hand I was glad he didn't know I have a major crush on him forever, on the other hand, I was disappointed he never seem to notice me enough to suspect. I can't even make up my mind to be happy or upset.

"Let me guess... definitely, not Daiki, since you two barely talk. Yudai?"

I shook my head. Then he went on to name other guys in class, but there's just one person he never really got to bring up.

Till finally, he casually asked with brows raised in anticipation, "Me?" 

I didn't know why I did what I did. Kamisama presented the best opportunity before me, yet I chose otherwise. I actually laughed it off with a slap on his bag like falling in love with him is completely ridiculous. I hope I hadn't offend him cause there was a moment I thought he appeared stunned by my reaction. If only there's a more subtle way to let him know my feelings.

"Ne, Umika, you wanna sit around with me awhile longer? I don't think I want to go back to bunk so early. The breeze is nice, the night sky illuminated by the twinkling stars is majestic, it's perfect."

"Of course. I will love to." Not at all did I hesitate at his invitation. It wasn't for the stars or the skies, it was for the one thing that captivate me the entire time, Chinen Yuri.

***

Yuto POV

I'm glad to see for myself the relationship between Hikari and her class improving. The rules I broke the other time, was a risk worthwhile after all. I watched her cheerfully bicker with Yuriko until they got tired, and now she's sitting beside me while her maiden has drifted to dreamland. I wasn't alert enough to realise Hikari quietly observing me.

"You're texting to a girl I know, right?"

"Princess... I..."

"No need to explain. I understand. Airi right. She's waiting for your text the whole time you were in detention barracks"

"It's nothing actually. I'll just reply her that I was busy so I didn't respond promptly. I'll stop there so she won't get a wrong idea."

"You don't have to stop. I know what you're afraid - that you will jeopardise my identity right. Yuto, don't worry about me. She won't know my identity if we are careful. I'll be careful. And if you're worried about your superiors learning about it, I'll stand up for you. You have good feelings for her too, so don't push her away because of me."

"Princess. I think Airi is a nice girl and my first encounter with her wasn't too bad. It's just friends, nothing more, but thank you for giving me the permission. Trust me, whatever I do, your interest is still of utmost importance."

***

Hikari POV

"Thank you Yuto. Though such words, please don't let your girlfriends hear it. They'll hate me for occupying such important position in your heart ne." a cheeky smug braced upon me, leaving him in hearty laughters. I peeked through the corner of my eyes, his text messages which are so Yuto-style heart warming.

"Hi Airi-chan. Sorry to keep you waiting. I was out of town for work so I didn't get back until now."

"Hi Yuto!!! I thought you are not gonna reply me. I'm so happy to hear from you."

I peeked into his eyes from where I was leaning on his arms.He may not have any special feelings for him now, but I'm sure one day he will have someone he likes. If I had someone I liked, I wouldn't want to be restricted. Moreover, Yuto should live his life too. I don't want to be a tyrant.  Seeing him at ease with his first step, I comfortably snug under his arms like old times.

When the night is no longer young, I was nagged by Yuto to return back to bunk. I supposed Yabu reminded him when I heard his phone vibrated and i was sure it's not Airi. I had to walk back myself while Yuto watch me from the shadows. Nothing could scare me when there's a guardian angel around me. Yet my guts was startled by the voices near my bunk. I hid out of sight so that the couple wouldn't see me.

"Ryosuke... don't be angry with me. Please..." 

It's Kasumi, clinging onto Ryosuke, though it didn't seem like a pleasing interaction. While I almost got spotted by Ryosuke, I saw his cold, annoyed face. He's angry with Kasumi? Why?

"I wanted to give you a surprise that's why I didn't tell you beforehand."

I figure he wasn't pleased being the only one in the camp (besides me) to not know she has return. Moreover he is her boyfriend. 

She was pouting and clingy, and i was actually feeling that subtle happiness and I was yearning to be doing something like her someday. Is that normal? 

"You know it's not just about today. You are basically uncontactable for the past 2 months. Don't tell me you expect me not to worry at all."

"Sorry Ryosuke. I am unforgivable." She lowered her head. I guess Ryosuke was not exactly angry with her. He lifted her head as if he wanted to properly address her guilt when she threw herself onto him, such that he took several steps back to lean against the wall of the bunk, with her lips on his.

I gasped, and it was as if I'm the most shocked by the intimacy and explicit display of affection that I took several steps back too, snapping a twig in a deafening noise. The two intimate couple got interrupted and they looked to me where they noticed I was there.

"Hikari~" Ryosuke called out. I paced towards them and already I could feel the awkward air surrounding us. It's hard to look at any of them in the eyes, especially him.

"Oh, hello, you must be Suzuki Hikari. I'm Ryosuke's girlfriend Kasumi Arimura."

"Hello." I timidly said.

"You're so cute. Right, Ryosuke?" She said. How is it I don't feel complimented at all. Cute seems like an insult when faced with the most beautiful beings in front of me. Cute is the combination of ugly and clumsy isn't it. And when Ryosuke didn't respond to her remark, what does it mean to me then? But why should I bother.

"About earlier..." Kasumi brought up the one thing I was hoping she let it go. I hope they all had amnesia. "I'm sorry about it. If I hadn't shown up, you will dance with him ne" 

I was frustrated. Is she being sarcastic? Or she genuinely mean well? Whichever, I didn't feel good. 

"Ah no no sorry im so sorry. I didn't know he's..." I can't even find the words to say nor form a proper sentence. I heaved a sigh too loud.

"Hikari. Don't mind it at all. Anyway, how's your ankle? You should be resting and not wandering around so late right?" Ryosuke nagged. 

"She probably has things to do" Kasumi answered before I could but his eyes were still set on mine as if waiting for my direct response.

"I went to the nurse. I guess I spent a bit too long with her so I'm only heading back now. Regarding my injury, it's much better already. Thank you Ryosuke."

"That's good to hear. You should head in to rest now. I shouldn't see you roaming around anymore.... and you too, Kasumi." He sternly said to me then to her. That instance, I thought he sounded like Yabu, Shohei, Yuriko... it makes me feel fuzzy all over. I chuckled.

"Oyasumi..." I cheered then took Kasumi's hands and hopped back into our bunk. In last look, I could see his warm beam on his lips.