Touching hearts

Chronicles of Princess Hikari

Hikari POV

I kept running non-stop, but the physical distance between me and those in pursuit are lessening to a point that my anxiety is giving me a panic attack. Where's my senseless courage earlier? Though I must say I never regretted standing up for Airi. I want to, not for anything in return but I genuinely want to protect her. Is that how a ruler should love for its people too? I vaguely remember my father saying it before - that the unconditional love for the country and its people is what it means to be King. For the first time, I understood. Maybe it is in much more trivial terms, but I do finally experience what he said then. Yet it's now time to defend myself. Where is Yabu when I needed him? Ah great, I was the one who kept him uninformed for this meeting. It's all my fault - my life will end today. 

"We won't let you off!"

I could clearly hear their voices. My feet are stiffening, my adrenaline is rushing through my veins and so is my heart pounding rapidly. My exhaustion is taking over. I no longer no where I'm running and the only direction I know is forward, even when there's no road in front.

*CRASH*

Warm sensation circled me. holding me firmly in place was a pair of hands cupped nicely at the edge of my shoulders. I raised my head to take a good look at my obstruction. "R-Ryosuke..." before i could let my guard down, I hear my enemies closing in. Their voices shudders my nerves. Whimpering, I quickly ran behind him, gripping his arm tightly. He turned to me briefly, and turned back to face my perpetrators.

"Face us you scaredy cat. Weren't you trying to act tough just now?! We're going to make sure you crawl home!"

I gripped him harder as I heard their fearless warning.

"I never though Sky High girls will stoop so low to hit a harmless girl. Hit her if you dare, and when You do, I'll personally make sure you girls can't take part in any matches from now on."

The girls seem to only notice now under the poor visibility that they were contending against Ryosuke. I realised from his assertive words that as club president, he does have some substantial power and popularity beyond our school too. It's perhaps the honour and prestige of the sports industry that kept the different entities together, regardless of the schools each of them represent.

"Yamada Ryosuke senpai... t-there's some misunderstanding ne. We, we will get going... please don't report to our school..."

"Don't let me see you girls hurting anyone from Horikoshi again or I'm not gonna be as forgiving today. Trust me on that." 

Even after they ran away, my heart was still racing. Everything seems so surreal, I can't recover myself immediately. My cold numb hands still on his arms, I couldn't bring myself to let go as if releasing him will bring back the horrors of the pursuit. 

"It's okay now." He said in his gentle, mellow voice that's so assuring. I peered into his eyes which is looking into mine. I instantly took my hands away and as if it has become my second nature, I bowed and apologised profusely. He frowned in amusement?

"No need to apologise to me. You're the victim anyway. Those girls are a pain as always and it most certainly is not your fight to claim."

"Y-you know them?"

"Yes, too well in fact. I can't believe they dragged you into this. Airi, she's okay?" He dialed his phone so urgently while responding to me. 

"She's okay." Tapping his shoulders to catch his attention, I confidently said to him.

"Uh, okay... I can't reach her phone anyway but since you say so... but you, on the other hand, need some fixing though. "

"Me? I'm okay..."

Have I only just noticed, my world is spinning messily just like how I'm living it. I can't even stand still. Head throbbed so intensely. 

"Hey hey, missy, you are completely drunk. How much did you actually drink." He gripped my arm as I stumbled a few steps in my stubborn display of my independence and more importantly, my alertness. "My apartment is within walking distance. You can clean up before going back."

"Heh! Actually I'm fine. Really..."

"Nah, I'll really be a jerk if I leave my friend in such mess. Unless you don't take me as a friend."

"No no no, i do..." I frantically tried to explain myself and he is already in front. Not following would really hurt the only trusty friendship I have in Horikoshi. Besides, I haven't found the chance to apologise for my busybody comment in the morning. I followed closely behind and he turns to me periodically with a smile. For me, I find myself closely peeking through the corner of my eyes, at him. It's a view unfamiliar as I trail behind him. Most of the people around me, Yabu, Yuto and the rest, they follow behind me. There wasn’t really much chance to have a chance to observe people from behind. Ryosuke’s shoulder blades slightly protrudes from his back and his arms broad and tough. He is not as tall and huge as Yabu, Yuto, even Iwata, he's petite, but just as build as the rest too. his back is alluring especially under the nightsky. I'm deadly curious how anyone's back feels like, girls seem to like it when I trolled on the internet few days ago. I want to learn that mysterious feeling and emotions. my fingers no longer listens to my bidding. I stretched it out, and before reaching him, I could already feel the radiating heat from the tip of my fingers and on to my face.

"Yes?" He looked me in the eyes, amused. It's embarrassing to catch me with my fingers frozen in midair. Fortunately, he thought I was about to call him so I played along and forcibly come out with a question.

“are we reaching soon?” my question was terribly wrong when I realised. It could come across as impatient, yet he answered so naturally and unprovoked. Perhaps I was overthinking.

“yeah, it’s just round the corner. Sorry, I must be going too fast.” He gripped my arm and took me by his side, making sure I don’t lag behind. Since day 1, his character has been unravelling to be a real gentleman and he is charming, every gesture, every smile he brings to his flawless face. His bangs and hair falls so nicely above his shoulders, it feels it doesn’t need much tending to.

“you’re staring too hard, Hikari”

“HEH?!” I realised I was caught in the act. He knew I was looking – so intensely at him. “I… er…” no excuse. How can there be any reasonable excuse for staring. I shall accept my unruly behaviour and apologised for it.

“we’re here” he announced before I could say anything else. I quietly followed his steps to the door and nervously awaited for him to open it. Warm lights illuminate the small apartment. Furnished with wooden planks instead of modern tiles, coupled with a minimalist approach, the apartment resembled a trendy western cottage that emitted a very homely feel. What caught my eyes was a cozy looking low, soft couch that seemed to really make its users comfortable, the only problem was it is lined with inner garments of a woman. I took a second glance at Ryosuke while I tried comprehending how it got there and how it completely does not resonate with him. In fact, I imagined the apartment to be neater considering Ryosuke seem like a very meticulous, clean and tidy person. He can’t be so careless, especially with those items which disappointingly reveals a promiscuous lifestyle, shedding a different light from the person I thought was all perfect. He knew I was giving him the doubtful look, but shrugged it away anyway. Then he picked all of those garments up, without any expression of disgust. Will guys do so willingly? Or could it be he is used to it? I'm not even kidding, I'm feeling more disappointed than anything else. Why am I feeling like this though.

“neesan! Can you not mess up my house. Seriously, just one day, it is already looking like a dump. ...it's gross." 

"What's so gross. It's not like you have never seen before..." another voice hollered back. From a female. Did I hear wrongly? He did say sister...

Before I could react, a lady with long beautiful thick hair staggered out. She's in a long fitting cotton grey dress that flaunts her slim figure. And just like his younger brother, she looks attractive. Very. They're undoubtedly a model couple, both in terms of appearance, poise and warm smile. 

"Oh... why didn't you say earlier, you've brought over a girl," she gave Ryosuke a smile of mischief which the latter was too engrossed cleaning up the garments to notice. 

"Hi. I'm Yamada Mitsuki. His elder sister. You're?"

"Hi, I'm Suzuki Hikari" 

"And how long have you two been together?" She slipped her arm around my shoulders and said to my ears intimately. It's as if we knew each other forever.

"Hikari, ignore her... come over" Ryosuke walked over and pulled me to him instead.

"Why, you're shy, Ryosuke?"

"Shy? Stop teasing her already, she's not my girlfriend. She met some trouble outside... oneesan, you going out at this time?"

"Yes. I'm meeting one of my friends for a drink. You'll take care of our 'guest' okay?" She gave a cheeky smile.

"Shut up. You're making her awkward alright. "

"Am I, Hikari?" She looked at me with a smile that reminds of my own elder sister, though it's a memory that's at least 15 years ago. I shook my head shyly then she lightly pat my head.

Still occupied preparing something, Ryosuke hollered to Mitsuki, "Could you help me get a icepack before you leave"

"Alright! But what for?"

"She'll need it. Pass it to her okay?" 

I too didn't know what it is for so after she handed to me, I held it in my hands and stared blankly at it.

"You are really quite needy, ne." He guided my hand with the icepack to my face. It stinged a little, not because of the cold though.

"How hard did they actually hit you. I hope it wouldn't bruise tomorrow or having only one side with blueish black stain would be rather odd."

I went to the mirror located not far from where I'm standing. He's right, it's red. The good thing is he probably can't see me blushing whenever he gets close. Like now. 

"Here, drink this up" he stood beside me, and our skins touched briefly when he handed me the hot bowl of soup. I took one sip and it left me squinting my eyes and giving my disgusted expression. 

"I know. It's yucky." He said with a chuckle.

"What is it?"

"I was right, you really don't drink. Anyone who drinks should know this is the drink to cure nausea after a heavy one. How much did you actually drink?"

"1 cup"

"Seriously?! Let me guess, this is your first?"

His astonished reaction got me a little self conscious that I sound like a complete noob. I subtly nodded in agreement.

"If you continue to come with us, you'll be better at it," he lightly laughed, then he watched me gulped the yucky drink down all at once, as if I'll pour it away. 

I sat on his couch, now free from the clothings, wondering if Airi is fine. Ryosuke joins me shortly after, and seriously stared me in the eyes. " You didn't have to do that for Airi. Besides not knowing exactly what led to the feud, She hasn't actually treated you as a friend neither. Sacrificing your own safety in hopes Airi actually changes her attitude towards you, i really don't know if I should say you are braver and courageous or simply reckless. "

"I didn't think so much. I thought anyone would stay to help a friend."

"Well, I just said, she don't see you as one. So if you had just left, you wouldn't have been in this situation." He asks crudely but I didn't feel offended, maybe because it was the truth. I am not her friend, at least in her eyes. Yet i am surprised I did have an answer.

"I know. But i still didn't think much. It didn't matter if she saw me as her friend, what's more important for me is that I see her as one. So I don't feel right if I left her in the lurch. Even though I think i only made matters worst."

There was a long pause of silence until Ryosuke posed another question, "let me get this straight... even if all these you did didn't make Airi change anything towards you, you'll still risk your life for her?"

Vaguely in my mind, I remember hearing my father said a similar line, "would you risk anything to protect the people you love? When the day comes, you're ready a ruler" somehow I see the light, I see the feelings my father must have felt when he said this to me - the unconditional love for his people. 

"Hikari... where do you stay?"

"Heh? Me?" I startled him with my abrupt reaction which was obviously because I don't know where I am supposed to live in, or rather, my politically right residential address. I paused a little bit too long, that he grew impatient. Skipping my replies altogether, he asked, "it's getting very late. if you don't mind, you can stay in my room tonight? Don't worry, I'll take the living room, but you will have to bunk in with my sister if she does return home."

"I... i mind... i .... don't like sharing..." crap, I must have sounded like a princess already, like figuratively a spoilt brat. 

"O-kay..." he responded sarcastically. 

"No, it's my problem actually... not yours. I can't..." I was fumbling while he watched me with twisted brows. 

"Can't? You mean..." 

Oh no, did I give myself away? Has he guessed my unspoken secret? He must have, i was too obvious! I stood up, knocking over the cup of water in front of me. Now it's major.

"Oh no... sorry!" I bowed profusely for my utter clumsiness which only gets worst. He saw me knock my ankle on the sides of the couch.

"Relax, what are you so nervous for? Is there something I should know?"

"No no... i should be going..." I picked up my stuff and was sure I need to evacuate now, but he insisted to see me off. I appreciate his gentlemanly gesture, and I would honestly accept it since my Guards aren't at my side, but really, I can't afford the questions to go on.

"Hikari..." 

Strangely, it wasn't just Ryosuke calling out my name, there was another voice behind that main door. I wasn't hallucinating, cause Ryosuke heard it too. He opened the door and saw exactly who I hoped to see.

"Iwata~"

He screened me like as if his eyes have a scanner, probably making sure I am completely alright while ignoring Ryosuke who's standing in front of him. Ryosuke does look petite in front of Iwata, but the impression they leave to bystanders, ain't much different. Both dazzling.

"Excuse me. You're?" Ryosuke asserted his presence so firmly that I feel a mild tension.

"You heard her, anyway, it doesn't matter. I'm here to fetch her."

That's a hostile response. Must guy talk always be like that? I had to explain, "he's my family friend..." i quickly dash to Iwata's side then drag him out by his arm. "Thank you Ryosuke for saving me today! Iwata will send me home. See you tomorrow!"

"Huh? Oi Hikari..." i could hear his confusion even after taking many steps away from the door. 

"Oyasuminasai" still my response was largely sounding with ingratitude. I hope he know I'm sincere. 

Sometimes I do hope I have my sister's stern image, where people take me seriously. Sigh, now I was literally dragged on the collar by Iwata. Zero respect, though I deserve it. He stuffed me into his car, yes, stuff as if I was a thing. 

"Don't give me that puppy eyes, Missy... first, you stayed out the whole of yesterday - it was my home so I'm fine. Then you get into trouble like tonight. You even wanted to stay in that boy's house?!"

"No. I did not! " I puffed in frustration, desperately trying to explain my innocence. 

"Save your breathe, explain that when you meet Shohei ."

I heard the name and goes into a state of a minute trance. Then hysteria. "Please, Iwata, please... don't tell Shohei... pleaseeeee" I clutched his arm, while he is on a steering wheel. 

"Hey. It's dangerous..." he complained but I continued to whine desperately.

"It's dangerous if you bring me to Shohei and tell him too."

"Then what do you suggest, princess..." 

It's sarcasm in his tone. I look at him, and I know at once he gets my idea. Yet sadly, he don't buy it.

"Nope. Not my home again. My princess, staying out 2 days straight, the palace will start talking. Let's not even talk about Shohei flipping at this idea, Yabu will completely retaliate. I'm not running against them."

"They're probably stomping at their feet now, because I'm defiantly out of touch for the last 6 hours. Please... if you send me back now, I'll be killed by daylight" 

"Can you don't exaggerate. But glad you know you're in deep this time. If it wasn't because Yuto contacted me to come for you, I won't know the mess you two created. Especially you. It's a lesson to learn, so just apologise and wait till they simmer down."

"I just wanted to be part of the class. Not alone..." I am lost in hopes, there's nothing Iwata can do for the wrong I made. I have to be responsible if thats the one thing sensei taught me from young. I gazed into the night sky, where the familiar trail of stars that lead me back home, my mind blank, my soul gone.

"I'll tell them you were at my home just now, cause you weren't well. I was too busy to contact them while I was at work. That'll hold them back alittle. I'll let Yuto know the story so he wouldn't mess up."

"Iwata~" his kindness got to me as he lightly patted my head. Strangely my spirits couldn't be lifted up at all. I followed him out of the car, head lowered as we approached the Central Wing where I see Yuriko, Yabu and Shohei there deadly welcoming our arrival. Their death stare was frightening, hair-raising. I kept my silence, hiding behind Iwata as he explained exactly what he planned. 

"That's unlike you to be so careless. It's not like you don't know she could potentially be targeted."

"She's at my home so that worry is not necessary. But yes, I'll note for future." Iwata sounded immensely displeased at the interrogative tone from Shohei. I got him in trouble. Yuto too, most certainly can't run from it. Just because of my selfish wish.

"It's not Iwata's fault. It's mine. I stubbornly ignore Yuto's warning, forced him and Iwata to keep it from you guys that I went to a pub to drink with my classmates."

"Princess, why did you do that?! You know how dangerous it is!"

"Because i pathetically want to be their friends. Sorry for everything. I'll stop trying so hard." It's so hard to straighten my back. I was slouching as I brushed past them in their dead silence after my confession. My body is completely drained, I didn't feel I have the energy nor the face to look at them. I'll accept whatever they want to do to teach me a lesson. I deserved it. Closing my chamber doors behind me, I slumped onto my bed and draw out my phone. To my surprise, my phone which is specially given for my school use, has one 'unread message'. 

"Hey Hikari. It's me Ryosuke. Whoever that guy is who took you away just now, I hope his intentions are good. Let me know if you got home safely:)"

I lie on my back and looked at it for nearly a minute. Reading and re-reading. It's my first message from a classmate, a friend, and the only one from my usual callers to have contacted me. It's the sweetest thing I've read for awhile and I would have celebrated if it's not for the rules I've broken and the people I have disappointed. 

"Hi Ryosuke. Thanks for texting me:) I've reached safely. He's not a bad person, really. And again, thank you for everything today! See you in school tomorrow." ... if Shohei doesn't decide to ban me. It's already 12 midnight. I guess he wouldn't be replying. I don't know why, but my heart feels so heavy, so lonely that my tears just started running silently. 

"Princess, you asleep already?" Yuriko hollered from outside. I wiped my tears and furrowed under my blanket, pretending that I am. And when she heard no reply, I hear her footsteps furthering away. At the same time, another text came. It's him.

"Good to hear that. See you tomorrow. Nights."

Night, Ryosuke. i said to myself.

***

Airi POV

Am I dreaming? I'm sitting beside this knight in white armour, alone under the night stars. He's as tall even when he's seated down. His side profile is just as attractive as his front. A while ago, he saved me from those girls, sternly giving them a verbal warning and it's so manly. A while ago, he was carrying me on his back while dulling my senses and taking my soul away. And just a while ago, he was nursing my wounds (which even without those heat pack he got me for my aching bruises on my stomach, his presence would have sufficiently cured me). It's official, I'm now staring at him, intoxicated by the breathtaking view of this knight whose name I do not know. Even his sigh is music to my ears.

"If you're alright now, let me drive you home." 

He sounded like he's in a rush but that isn't really my concern. I would love to spend more time with this 'prince'. "Ah ah... it's still hurting a little." I pointed to my stomach and pouted slightly. His frustration is adorable too. How perfect, and I thought Ryosuke was the only one who could reach that status of handsome and cute at the same time.

"It's still hurting here" i pointed and he attentively put pressure on several spots to check for pain points. I wasn't completely feigning so I could easily indicate my discomfort.

"How are you related to Hikari?... you asked me if I'm Hikari's friend right, so you know her..."

".... i..." he looks like he's in deeper thoughts. I gasped in disbelief as I spoke my conjecture.

"You're not her boyfriend, are you?" Praying he is not. Please...

"Of course not!... s-she's a family friend."

"Alright! That's good to hear." I spoke in delight. He watched me in twisted brows like I was speaking another language. "So what's your name? I'm Matsui Airi." I stretched out my hand to shake his, and that instance our hands met, I melt and I never want to let go.

"I'm Nakajima Yuto...erm..."

"Ooh" i released my hand, reluctantly. "Shall we? It's not good to sit too long in the night breeze either. I'll hold you to my car..."

"I don't think I can... maybe piggyback will do?" I said cheekily, stretching out my arm, hinting to him I'm completely serious. He was surprisingly quite accommodating on this request. I hope he's not doing it just so he can quickly get over and eject me. Nevertheless I am enjoying every instance of it. I secure myself with my arms wrapped around his neck, and his tough arms securing my legs. I leaned on his broad, tough shoulders, and immersed myself in his warmth and comfort, and it's amazing how he can make someone so much at ease.

"Airi, this is my car, you can let off now. I won't drop you."

"Ah, alright" it's too short. I want him to carry me longer. I laughed. He saw, but I just let him wonder. He's irresistible, especially when he drove. He feels like an expert, swerving through the narrowest spot without much efforts. Even doing a sharp turn was relatively steady.

"Airi..."

"Yes?" I dreamily responded to him with my gaze fixated on him.

"I'm sorry if Hikari messed up too much in school, or probably stepped on many of your classmates' foot including yourselves. She sincerely wants to be friends with all of you, but she just doesn't know how..."

"... i figured. She's trying too hard. Why is she so desperate? Is she normal?" 

"... she's not." He said coldly while concentrating on the wheels, completely expecting my big reaction with his confession.

"What do you mean?!"

"... she doesn't have many friends and she doesn't have a good childhood either. She home schooled for a huge part of her life. That's why she's yearning for companions."

Yuto really knows her well, to an extent I really comprehend the meaning of family friend. He sounds almost like he live with her. 

"Who is she? I mean, what actually happened to her? She sounds pathetic"

"Her parents passed away in an accident. She's taken care by people who don't care about her dreams; she's a lonely kid."

That hits me. His words were so loaded, it brought my mood down from a height. I never seem to see Hikari that way, cause she's always so irritatingly smiley. Now that Yuto explained, I finally saw why she's so awkward and dumb at time. 

"If it's too much to ask, I hope you give her a chance to startover." He pleaded. I guess he already knew the Soccer incident and probably to Yudai cooking incident too when he made that request. First it's Ryosuke, now it's this new guy Yuto, why am I the one targetted to befriend her. 

"Don't worry, she'll be alright." I gave him a vague answer, but he appeared accepting of the pretentious reply. He drove me to my house and I am already missing him before we part.

"You wanna come in?" How do I sound? Sleazy? Inviting? Frankly I am so intoxicated that I may actually mean everything in the wrong way. Yes, I want him. He looked at me intensely, not in disgust I'm sure. His eyes isn't hard to read. 

"Sorry. I've a mess to fix. It's nice meeting you Airi." 

Feeling empty and dejected, I had to say that important question, "how do I see you again? Can I have your number?... heh?" He grabbed my phone and started keying in something. He returned it to me with a smile.

"I guess we'll meet again." He says.

Guess I've nothing to lose but regrets if I don't do anything. Mustering my courage, I never felt as nervous as ever, I threw myself at him and gave him a peck on his lips. Yes, a peck and no more. A goodbye kiss? Nah. Nakajima Yuto, we'll meet again. Before he recovers from his shock at my initiative, I jumped off his car and dashed right back my apartment. My face blushed and flushed, I felt it at the tips of my fingers as I let it run on my cheeks. The reddened cheeks of my boldness.

***

Hikari POV

"Ohayou~ princess..." Shohei pulled open the blanket. I was whining, growling at the bright light penetrating through my eyes. I rubbed my eyes and see the guy I was so sorry to see yesterday. He's here to punish me, I was certain.

"I'll do whatever you say..." I dragged myself out of bed, completely drained out of my soul.

"Where are you going?"

"Detention."

"What for?"

"I know, you're gonna place me on curfew. Don't worry, I won't leave at all..."

"Can you sit down and listen to me first?" He said with some amusement. While it's insulting how he rubs salt in my wound knowing how much I wanna go school, I obeyed without another word. Walking back and sitting around the coffee table, I didn't raise my head to look in his probably stern eyes. 

"Are you not even gonna look at me at all?"

I acceded reluctantly. Surprisingly, his eyes were soft. Not assertive. 

"I'm sorry."

Am I hearing things? He can't possibly be apologising to me. Yet he sounds so serious. Confusion filled me. Words filled my mouth but none escaped. 

"... you don't have to look so stunned princess. I didn't try hard enough to understand why you would do that, besides being completely reckless."

"Shohei-kun. Thanks..."

"You would do that even if it happens again right?"

"... i guess so. But I'll promise to do it in a way that I won't give you guys a heart attack."

"Your safety is our greatest priority. I don't want you to end up hurting yourself. Especially don't ever get your guard lose around a boy. "

I guess he meant Ryosuke. He has his ways to find out even if Iwata doesn't say it. 

"I didn't let my guard lose... besides, I'm always around guys..."

"We're not counted" he smacked my head lightly then ruffled my hair, and we laughed, lightening my load so extensively. I speed walked through the royal garden to where Yabu was, patiently standing against the light with his smart suit, chatting with Yuriko.

"Princess... looking good ne" Yuriko greeted. I couldn't quite pay attention to her teasing. My eyes searching intensely for the missing one. 

"Yuto's not here and won't be here for awhile" Yabu resolved the mystery. I wasn't satisfied cause part of me knew I was the reason. 

"Is he punished because of me? Yabu, you know he's not at fault. i am." I was undoubtedly agitated, Yabu had to hold me firmly before I completely lose it.

"He's a guard, and he has a set of rules to conform. Innocence towards you, yes, but he did flout many rules and he did leave your side. Upholding the rules is absolute necessary to ensure the palace discipline is not compromised nor treated lightly. I hope you understand, my princess."

Yuriko walked to my side and pat my shoulders, "he'll be okay. Just a few whips and detention barack won't hurt him. His training all these years are much harsher, isn't it Yabu."

"Whips?! Detention Baracks?! Those are already hell!"

"Enough, princess. You'll be late for school if we continue discussing. Yuto will be fine. He's a strong guard - all these are part and parcel of resilience training too." Yabu sternly led me into the car and stopped all my pleading and whining. I feel so guilty, I couldn't even concentrate in the day. I'm basically lagging behind during school assembly, lagging when we head back to class. I needed alone time so when the lunchtime and dismissal time came, I went out before anyone else. Well, nobody would care my presence anyway.

Gasped. I am startled when someone cuddled me from the back. I had a shock and a much bigger one when I realised it was Daiki addressing her in the most accurate way.

"Hey Princess~"

"Heh... oh no... h-how did you find out?"

I panicked so terribly I'm shaking. It's the end if I'm found out so early in my school year. Could he have found out right from the beginning? 

"Find out what?"

"About me being..."

"Stop teasing her already Daichan" 2 voices interrupted my confession, and the later one even gave Daiki a knock on his head. It's a distinctive female and male voice. A long pair of arm leaned on my shoulder and brought me closer.

"I can absolutely understand Ryosuke standing up for little Miss Blur since he is Mr Kind, but hmmm Airi? "

I have the same doubts as Daiki. Yet she sounds so sure that it's not at all any mistake. Her attitude change towards me is drastic, so drastic I still can't believe my ears when she said, "why can't I, she's my friend! So stop bullying her ne". Airi pulled me to her side and confidently rebutted Daiki. The 2 guys, Daiki and Ryosuke gradually revealed a smile to me, as though they were both congratulating me for the new change. Initially I was happy, but as I watched silently as the trio continue to interact, I can't see myself in it. Ryosuke's words yesterday about doing all these in exchange for her acceptance, recurs in my mind and starts making sense. I excused myself and pulled Airi to a corner while the guys wondered.

"Airi, about yesterday, I didn't actually do anything except mess up (including getting Yuto in trouble). If you are forcing yourself to befriend me, it's okay, you don't have to. I don't wanna trouble you to accommodate my stupidity. I'll end up infuriating you more."

She paused then chuckled. "Who's forcing me. Hmm, you are blur, confused, slow and all, and you're probably gonna infuriate me and the rest." I was embarrassed by now hearing her regurgitate my flaws. "But... you're sincere. We just started on a wrong footing. So let's just restart. And I'm not doing this because I feel indepted to you."

"Airi..." i searched her eyes for confirmation. Almost immediately she stretched out her hand, and with open palms she took mine, then introduced herself.

"Matsui Airi. Yoroshiku ne"

"..." nervous at first, then I break into happiness. "Suzuki Hikari, yoroshiku onegaishimasu"

"You sure, Miss Angst" Daiki teased Airi as the boys walked over. And this time, Chinen and Umika had joined. The latter was mumbling something to Airi at the back while the rest walked in front. I sighed, as I felt my happiness isn't gonna be long-lived. Umika hates me, Airi is her best friend. It's complicated.

"Heh?" In my daze, Ryosuke shouldered me and cheekily smiled.

"It has all paid off. Your hardwork."

"It's not like that. I just did what I think it's right." I clarified, though I regretted for the strong reaction that could piss him off. On the contrary, he chuckled.

"I understand. That's a nice thing to do for a friend and that's what matters. Settling Umika will be easy, so good luck." He joined the guys in front, leaving me behind awkwardly with the girls, pretending I couldn't hear any of their quibbling. I could really stay invisible but Airi called me over.

"Y-yes?" I avoided Umika's deadly gaze.

"Hikari, you don't like Chinen right?"

"Chinen?..."

"Yes, do you like him? You do right? You are flirting with him all the time..." Umika said frustratedly but kept her volume down so the boys wouldn't hear.

"No, I don't have those feelings towards him. I don't like him. I only thought he's a very approachable guy. I'm sorry to cause misunderstandings. I won't talk to him..."

"See Umika... it's not day one you know Chinen is just so nice that people go to him. It's not because everyone likes him. Hikari, you don't have to stop talking to Chinen. You talk to whoever you want to. Umika, I'm gonna befriend her no matter what." Airi asserted. Her words were so dependable. I feel I see my sister in her.

"I'll accept your explanation then. Don't ever like Chinen okay." She break out in a sweet smile, the sweetest and only smile she has given me. 

"Besides, I'm sure Hikari has someone else in mine" Airi teased and I blushed. She clinged on my neck and tormented me with names together with Umika.

"Our clique has many lady killers besides Chinen... perhaps, Yudai.... Daiki... ah, Ryosuke?." 

"Ah no no no."

"Well, he..." Umika wanted to say something before the boys cut in.

"Girls, we can chit chat the whole day or we can just head out to the supermarket to get the camp supplies." Yudai who arrived later grumbled. Ryosuke is always the observant one who noticed my confusion. He asked, "sensei didn't tell you we have a 2 days 1 night camp next week?"

I shook my head. The rest sighed in sync to display their disappointment with their teacher's forgetfulness. They fill me in with the details and there lies the problem. I want to go but would Shohei allow me to? Cause that'll open a floodgate of problems given my clumsiness. It'll take alot of convincing even to myself, but I really wanna go. The trip to the supermarket is full of treats along the way. It's so exciting to shop for daily necessities which i haven't done at all in my daily life. In order not to appear completely stupid, i had to take many steps back, tag along Airi and not make any noise. Still, I couldn't avoid what has to come. Pickles. Hmm, what is it? There are so many kinds. Worst, I can't even reach them. I tip-toed to reach the top shelf but it's beyond my abilities. I looked around for Airi but she too is beyond reach. One task to do and I can't even do right. I jumped and hopped , I probably looked ridiculous. I bounced backwards only to realise someone was close behind me. I braced upon his chest. Turning around, our eyes met, in close proximity. My heart is pounding so hard as the world around us seems to come to standstill. Somehow it felt like I wasn't the only one feeling that strange emotion. It's like for a brief second, something transpired between us, something magical that held us together. He cleared his throat. 

"Careful... one packet of pickles coming up" he reached out over my head and grabbed it for me. Ordeal passed, and none of that awkward one second seem to matter now after his gorgeous smile. My face was flushing hot but subsided instantly with the chaos happening by the corner.

"Go away... there's no leftovers!" The supermarket staff hollered at a group of people of various ages, chasing them out mercilessly. All they wanted is food, why can't they just give? I dashed forward but Ryosuke pulled me back.

"And what would you do? Let's say you are able to scold the living daylight out of the manager, then what's next. Basically there's nothing else to do to help them."

"But what's happening?"

Ryosuke gave me a look of disappointment, almost to a point of frustration? It's not an expression I am at ease with, in fact, I probably won't be ever used to this fierce look and his tone. "You've got to read more, lady. I hope you're not those girls who are such ignorant of issues facing our society."

"... im not..."

"That's good to hear. Anyway guys, I've got work. See you in school" he hollered to the rest. I feel uneasy. Yes, he's angry and I ain't convincing with my knowledge. He is right, I know nuts on the topic of politics and sociology. Says the Queen-to-be. 

"Don't mind him. He's not exactly in the best of mood. His soccer team due for competition is still missing in action. Miichieda is freaking out and still trying to settle it himself." Airi jumped out of nowhere and consoled my uneasy mind. After we dispersed that afternoon, I hopped onto the usual car, then I was surprised Shohei was the driver.

"I'm surprised it's you today. Did I get into troubles again?" i sulked.

"Am I the person you least wish to see? How did you associate me to all negative things though." He laughed. I laughed lightly in denial.

"Hikari... I came to fetch you because I figure you'll ask about what you saw at the supermarket." 

Yabu reported to him I guess. I silently listened, attentively processed his words.

"Aoihoshi has an unspoken caste system. In the past, during your grandparents reign, it was worst, but in recent years, especially with the King's efforts to eradicate the system, the disparity improved. Or at least it appears to be. it's very much on  the surface. Attitudes are more difficult to alter."

"Caste system?"

"It's based on income levels. There's 3 in particular. The middle class are basically those who live comfortably. The upper class are the conglomerates, the very rich people. And this income gap is very wide with the lowest class who cannot make a living at all. The lowest class are also known as the outcast cause they bring lots of problems with them. Debts, delinquency, crimes, etc so they are sort of trapped in that vicious cycle cause no one would give them a chance. They'll just get poorer and poorer."

I slipped into a moment of reflection as I begin to see the complexity of the country I'm about to run. I'm ashamed I know none of it. And I'm more ashamed when I hear Shohei reveal more about my new clique.

"Arioka Daiki, Matsui Airi, Chinen Yuri and Umika Kawashima are in the middle class."

"What about Yudai and Ryosuke?"

"They are barely making it in to the middle. Yudai is still a little better, but Ryosuke, he's really sort of a miracle. Not many can move out of the lower class, especially with his own two hands."

"He is always so cheerful and dependable. I didn't know, no wonder he is sensitive when he saw those people earlier"

"I guess he learnt to mask his feelings or he just got use to it. His parents are divorced at a very young age. He ran away with his sister before social workers get to them. They make a living by selling street food and taking odd jobs. As of all boys without guidance, Ryosuke has his period too. He shoplifted and was involved in fights too. Luckily he pulled himself together and befriended Chinen and Daiki and soon he's back on track. The siblings eventually stayed separately and that probably attribute to his high independence... you okay?"

"I'm shocked. I didn't know all these."

"Now you know. But I think that's passé, they are all living quite comfortably so don't let that affect you."

I nodded. After a while, I probed another thing bothering my mind the whole day. "Anou, Shohei... can I... mmm"

"If it's about Yuto, no. Sorry."

"Why? I just wanna see him."

"It's detention baracks. They have their rules. No visitors, and no exceptions for crown princess."

"But..."

"Sorry. I can't help you with this. He'll be out next week. Don't worry, he'll be alright."

***

Mirei POV

It's rare to have visitors so late into the night. I wrenched open the door nob in caution. Turned out, it was unnecessary. I hope so though she's the last person I would expect to appear at my doorsteps, not at her level at least. 

"Your highness" I bowed as Hikari stood before me. Her expression is perplexed though bearing a smile.

"Mirei... sorry for visiting so late"

"Not at all. Come in..."

"Nah, I need your help to access somewhere."

"Heh? So late into the night? Where do you need to go?"

"Detention baracks. Sneak me in to meet Yuto."

"Nakajima Yuto-san? It's not permitted." That's not the only reason I hesitated, it's because I don't know if Yuto would want her to see him like this. 

"You're the only one I know that can easily walk in and out the barack with your role as medical officer. Please, Mirei... i need to see him, i want to apologise to him and it matters to me that I don't let it lapse too long."

Dilemma. I could get into trouble. But she's the crown princess, I can't say no either. I'm touched too by the strong bond between the master and her modern 'shinobi'. I thought this concept of ultimate loyalty to the master is only apparent in old folktales. I dressed her up as a nurse like me, then confidently brought her through the several guards without raising suspicion. She's a really bold princess and is brilliantly street smart. I always seen her as very bubbly and would hope I had half her lovable character. Today, I saw a whole new her, that immense sincerity from her tugged my heartstrings.

"Yuto!" She ran towards the guy with his hands bounded to a rope dangling from the celling, his exposed top filled with whipped lines that cuts into his skin with dried blood, fresh blood all tainting his tan body. She cares not whether those fluids will stain her clothings, diving straight to him with arms wrapped around his battered torso. Needless to say, Yuto was startled by his master's sudden appearance, taking a quick glance at me before turning back to her.

"Princess. You shouldn't be here."

"I don't care. I have to see you. How can they do this when they know it's not your fault." Her cries echoed through the bunker of other imprisoned guards punished for other disciplinary breaches. I looked around and could tell they were all jealous of Yuto to receive much love from the crown princess herself. Such a scene will make anyone wants to serve her wholeheartedly.

Yuto chuckled before leaving a light peck on her head, for his hands are bounded u comfortably. "Sorry for making you worried. I broke my own rules too so there's no need to feel injustice. And princess, I'm a royal guard, such punishment is part and parcel of my training"

"Why do you sound like Shohei... it's so irritating... If only my words matter, if only I'm not just a crown princess in title but not in power, then I can plead for your pardon. I can't even protect you."

"I'll be fine. I'm grateful to serve you and I want to be a guard who protects you, not the other way around... But if you really wanna help me,  I suggest you quickly go back before you're found out cause if anyone finds you here because of me, my situation will be even more awkward"

"Just a while more..." she pleaded while her eyes scanned his wounds and her fingers tracing each of them, "It must have hurt."

"That's manly..."

"Nakajima Yuto~" she pouted, and he smiled. Anyone would when they see such an adorable princess worrying over unnecessarily.

"How's school?"

"Airi befriended me. The rest too. They accepted me into the clique. You spoke to Airi didn't you?"

"I merely apologised for your clumsiness. It's her choice to accept you."

"Thank you Yuto. You have always been watching over me... I don't ever want this to change."

"Silly... even if the day comes that I no longer serve you, nothing is gonna change. You're still my adorable little sister."

They laughed warmly. It's so warm in my heart I feel my tears rolling in my eyes. That's me to her. Now is my tears of fear. After I sent her back to her chambers and return to my own, I was stopped by a figure that stood in my way. I was hesitant to look up, and when I did, Shohei was looking at me, intensely. I knew that glance. I knew his purpose.

"Sorry. So sorry... i know I've made a grave mistake. Don't expel me please... i need this job. I beg of you." I pleaded, grabbing his hands and shaking like it would help. It persisted for almost a minute without any word from him. I thought all hopes are bleak. My life has ended... until he broke out in a chuckle.

"Expelling? Grave mistake? Mmm nah. You can relax, I'm not here to punish you."

I gazed at him, confused. His soft smile gradually eased my tense heart but gave me some heart racing moments. He's my ultimate weakness. Always.

"If it's not you, Hikari would have searched for someone else to help her anyway. In fact, I was glad it's you. At least I know you won't plot against her or use this incident to get her into other mess."

He claims to know me, my character. I thought all he knew was my name, but he assumes my personality. I'm secretly melting by his positive impression of me, and glad I'm dependable in his eyes.

"But... i still warn against doing such stuff again. It's still against the rules. And we didn't want her to be over compassionate to her subjects. There's a line we hope to draw."

"She'll be a very kind queen."

"I get what you mean. I sympathise with her too. It's not her nature to be Queen, but circumstances are so crude. She knows it herself. We'll have to balance it somehow. That's why I didn't stop you when I knew you will be bringing her to Yuto. As you can see, Yuto and her have a strong bond. Partly because they hung out with each other since young, much before she became crown princess. Yuto naturally becomes her closest confidant, since there're feelings like regrets she can't express to myself or Iwata or even Yabu. I like to keep it that way so that no matter how bad life turns out for her in the journey ahead, there's someone she could fall back on."

"I think she depends very much on you too."

"This silly girl sticks to anyone (laughs). There are times I have to be stern with her, so Yuto it's in a much less conflicting position to be her confidant."

"... I would, with your permission, be her friend... if it's too much to ask..."

"That's nice. I sort of imagine you ladies clicking well. Since I'm not dictating her friends, you can go ahead and approach her. Besides, it means something that she sought your help, not other nurses." 

Whatever he says, sounds so melodious to my ears, so beautifully intoxicating. Even when he walked away, his voice is still lingering, his gentleness is still effecting. If only he could notice me a little more, not just as a human being, or a nurse, but as a lady. Yet I know my worth. Im far from his expectations.

***