Two.

Of Judgmental Stares, Fake Masks and Tender Hearts

Chapter 2: Kang Seulgi and Kang Wonwoo

 

It has been three weeks since Seulgi joined the school, then. Both Johnny and Seungwan originally thought Seulgi would leave them as soon as she got access to Nayeon, Jungyeon and Momo. But they were wrong.

Especially not after Seulgi stood up for Seungwan when Nayeon was berating her during the cheerleader tryout, saying that it’s either Seulgi and Seungwan both got into the team or not at all. Nayeon chose the former, though humiliated. The news spread through the school like wildfire. Who wouldn’t be surprised? Everyone thought Seulgi would be with Nayeon, who would’ve thought that there would be rivalry between the two?

Well, Ten did. It was far too obvious. Still, he doesn’t like how Seulgi forced herself into the perfect picture of his group of friends. Occasionally, she would even drag Wonwoo. He didn’t like the both of them. Both were proud and Seulgi may think she’s saint for standing up for Seungwan and constantly protecting Seungwan from Nayeon, but Ten know deep down Seulgi were just as bad. It’s really funny, to be honest. Ten was sick of her, of her proud attitude, her constant bragging and her ego.

It’s been three weeks then and this is the present time, where Seungwan and Ten are hanging out in the library.

“Do you not like Seulgi?” Seungwan suddenly asks as Ten is focused on the photography book he’s reading.

The boy looks up, eyebrows raised. “Why do you ask?”

Seungwan shrugs, playing with a strand of her light brown hair. “I mean… you rarely talk to her and what’s with this banter you two always have?” she asks, eyes narrowed.

To say the truth, he doesn’t like both Seulgi and Wonwoo. Wonwoo is too proud and thinks he can always have what he wants and he always exudes an air of superiority while in truth, he’s not even that good. Seulgi is fake, the typical rich person who’d do anything to get what she wants and doesn’t hesitate to use people around her for her own benefit.

At least, that was the vibe he got from the both of them, but Ten’s always had a good guess on people, so he believes his intuition.

But for Seungwan’s sake, he chooses to lie.

“People converse differently with others, sometimes it depends with the other people’s personality. Me and Seulgi often bicker with each other because that’s just how we connect.” Ten answers smoothly.

“Oh.” Seungwan says before breaking into a smile. “I just… thought you hate her and all. I mean, I really adore her as a friend, you know? And I know it’s only been three weeks since she got here but don’t you feel like she’s been with us since forever?”

Ten closes his book before stretching on his seat, his gaze falls on the trees outside the library. “My thoughts exactly.” He lies.

 

***

 

And now, the four of them are sitting at Jung’s, a coffee shop near their school and originally was the hangout spot for Ten, Johnny, Seungwan and Taeyong—now, Seulgi is added into the picture. Seulgi is sitting beside Ten, she’s next to the window and in front of her is Seungwan and beside Seungwan is Johnny. The Jung’s always smells like coffee and pastry but right now, another scent is added to the mixture: Seulgi’s citrus and flower perfume.

“So when do you think Taeyong will come?” Seungwan asks, looking up from the menu. “I mean, I knew we just got here… and Taeyong is currently doing his basketball tryout. I kind of feel bad not watching or cheering for him. Do you think he’ll ace it?”

Johnny wraps his arm on Seungwan’s shoulder. “Relax, Wan. You know Taeyong’s super good at basketball. Besides, you know coach Seungri forbids people to watch the tryouts.”

“I just have the feeling that Taeyong will ace it.” Seulgi butts into the conversation, her hand lazily stirs her milkshake. “Wasn’t he, like, really good? Anyway, Wonwoo’s doing the tryout, too, so I hope he gets into the team.”

“What, is Wonwoo Kobe-Bryant knockoff or something?” Ten muses.

Seulgi give him a look. “Well, would’ve been great if he were. But Wonwoo’s really, really good.” she says, looking at Ten with her cat-like eyes. “But what about you? You’re not one to talk about yourself.”

“Me?” Ten repeats, taken off guard. “Why do you care?”

The blonde-haired, fox-eyed girl shrugs. “No reason. Seungwan’s a music and academic kind of girl, Taeyong’s the sporty one, Johnny’s the music one, too. But you,” she stops, sharp eyes piercing into Ten’s dark ones. “What do you like?”

Ten smirks. “Curious about number Ten, are you?” he says. “Well, I like to dance.”

“Yeah, Ten is very good at dancing.” Seungwan agrees. “We used to watch his performances during the school festival.”

“Oh? So you’re in the dance club or?”

“Was, but something happened and now I’m a free independent dancer.” Ten says, inserting a finality in his tone that means he doesn’t want Seulgi asking about it.

Seulgi chuckles, getting what he meant. “Well, I’d love to see you dance one day.” She says instead. “Then I can say for myself.”

Ten gives her a look. “Yeah? You talk as if you’re so good at dancing.” he says. If Seulgi’s giving a bait, whether it’s voluntarily or unintentionally, Ten decides to take the bait.

He then realized that it was unintentional by the surprised glint in her eyes that disappears in a millisecond. “Well, I just want to see how you dance. Objectively.” she says instead, giving him an innocent smile.

He can’t believe her.

Ten decides to let it slide when he notices Taeyong and Wonwoo slipping into the coffee shop. “Well, look who’s here.” He mutters, shifting closer to Seulgi to give Taeyong and Wonwoo a space to sit.

“Tae!” Seungwan beams, “How was it?” she asks excitedly, her eyes twinkling in delight.

Taeyong grins at them before motioning Wonwoo to join him. “Well, you’re looking at the main players of Yeongsan Mad Dogs.” he announces happily, taking his seat right beside Johnny.

“Taeyong was really good.” Wonwoo praises. “Seul, remember Bobby, from class 1A? He plays just like Bobby!”

Seulgi’s eyes widen. “But Bobby’s the star player of our team back then.” She laughs. “Ah, those were good times. Remember when you and Bobby would have a party and invite coach Leeteuk each time you guys win a match?”

Wonwoo smiles. “Yeah, it was fun times.”

“I’m guessing you guys really misses Seoul, huh?” Taeyong says, offering a sympathetic smile towards Seulgi.

The blonde waves her hand in dismissal. “It’s alright. Well, we still keep in contact with our schoolmates there so we don’t miss them too much.”

“Why don’t you guys visit Seoul during the weekends? I mean, surely you can, right?” Seungwan proposes, resting her chin on her palm as her gaze switches between the twins. “You guys can take the train.”

In an instant, both Wonwoo and Seulgi’s face expressions change and it doesn’t slip past Ten’s observation. For a moment, the proud, cheeky grin faltered from the twins’ lips and Seulgi stares at Wonwoo, as if begging him to deal with the situation.

Which, Wonwoo complies, because he recovers quickly. “Love to, but we’re still pretty much busy, both with school and adapting with life around. Plus, mom had a bad experience with trains before so she prefers not taking them and we don’t have the heart to leave her alone in Yeongsan even for weekends.” he says effortlessly.

Seulgi, however, takes the chance to let her self-defense fall down only for a little, while everyone’s attention is fixed on Wonwoo. Though, she fails to realize that one person is fully aware of her change of mood. Ten can feel tension rising from his side and Seulgi looks down on her feet before taking a long, deep breath and in a second, the heavy atmosphere she emanated instantly disappears.

Seulgi let out a free laugh at Taeyong’s joke, her eyes disappearing into crescent and her shoulders shake. Ten decides to let it slide.

“Anyway, we should definitely go to that hair salon near my house. I’ll give you a ride. What do you think, Wannie?” Seulgi proposes, looking at Seungwan with a smile on her face. “I’m dying to get my hair done and probably have some manicure and pedicure.”

Seungwan giggles, tossing her hair to the side. “Of course. When should we go?”

“How about… tomorrow? Or this Saturday?” Seulgi grins, lazily leaning back on her seat. Her blonde locks scattered along the coffee shop’s seat and some strands are tangled on Ten’s uniform.

“I’m free for tomorrow.” Seungwan smiles. “And… I’ll make sure to bring my baked cookies tomorrow! I always bring my homemade dishes for these guys. You haven’t tried it yet, right, Seulgi?”

“Oh, you should bring your cookies!” Ten says, instantly feeling excited at the prospect of eating Seungwan’s homemade cooking. “Seungwan is the best cook in Yeongsan.”

“Wow, you’re good at music, you’re the top of the class, you’re a cheerleader, and now you cook?” Wonwoo butts in, shaking his head. “What can’t you do, Son Seungwan?”

“How about you scratch cheerleader off that list? Our dear Seungwan made tons of mistakes today. Do you have two left foot?” Im Nayeon suddenly appears in front of the group, a smug look plastered on her face as she crosses her arms in front of her chest. Behind her, Jungyeon and Momo are giggling. “You should’ve seen how bad she was at practice today. Maybe you should’ve spent your free time practicing than wasting them at Jung’s, don’t you think?”

“ off, Nayeon.” Seulgi says immediately. “For the record, Seungwan only made two mistakes today while your friend Jungyeon made three. I’m counting. Plus, Seungwan’s move were more superior than Jungyeon’s. Next time, try to be more objective, won’t you?”

Johnny eyes widen. at Seulgi’s attack and Jungyeon blushes. “I did not—“ the short haired girl objects but her words are cut short by Nayeon’s retort.

“I would watch my words if I were you, Seulgi.” Nayeon says, louder than Jungyeon’s voice. “After all, you’re in someone’s town, so know your place.”

A cold smile blooms on Seulgi’s lips. “Well, this place is certainly not your place, Nayeon, so why don’t you shut the up, quit telling me what to do and piss off?”

The frown on Nayeon’s forehead deepens and Ten wonders if it goes deeper, it’d be permanent. Still, it was fun to watch the girls go head to head. He may not like Seulgi one hundred percent but he sure like what she done to Nayeon—her usual pretty smile is replaced with an ugly frown and Seulgi certainly manage to shake Nayeon off of her dominating composure.

“Watch it, Kang.” Nayeon says before leaving them.

“Wow, seriously.” Johnny says, laughing. “You are so extra, Kang Seulgi.” he says, giving Seulgi a high five. Even Seungwan and Taeyong are laughing along.

Wonwoo snorts. “That’s Seulgi for you. speaks before her brain could process it.”

“Don’t drag me after I’ve done a great job!” Seulgi whines, pouting at Wonwoo.

Seungwan gently touches Seulgi’s hand, causing the latter to shift her attention to Seungwan. “Thanks, Seul. Really. I don’t know why you defend me… but thank you so much.”

“Eh, no biggie. You’re my friend, of course I’ll defend you.” Seulgi says, giving Seungwan a toothy grin.

“But still,” Taeyong huffs. “Nayeon’s not an easy opponent. You should watch out for her, who knows, she may be plotting a revenge for you for humiliating her in public.”

The girl’s face softens. “Don’t worry, Taeyongie. I can take care of myself. Besides, I have a strong brother to protect me.” She whispers cheekily.

A blush creeps up on Taeyong’s face and he laughs. “Yeah, but I really mean it. You know, just because.”

“Aw, thank you for your concern, Tae.” Seulgi giggles, forming a heart sign with her fingers.

Ten feels like he’s laughing at the sight. Just seconds ago, Seulgi was baring her tooth and claws to protect Seungwan yet right now, at this very moment, she’s slowly capturing Taeyong’s heart right out of Seungwan’s weak grasp. It is the most ironic sight. Seulgi can drag Nayeon as much as she can… but there’s still no denying that deep down, she’s just as vile.

Ten can’t wait until Seulgi’s perfect girl, perfect saint and defender of the weak’s façade fall and shatter. He wants to be the one who shatters it.

 

***

 

Author’s Note:

Lol, I couldn’t wait to publish chapter 2 so here it is :”

Also, BIG THANK YOU to people who has read, subscribe and commented on this story,

Thank you so much, you guys made my day and motivate me to write more of this story<3

Sigh, if I were to speak my opinion, my favorite character from this story is Seulgi and Johnny

(MORE JOHNNY WILL APPEAR ON THE NEXT CHAPTERS I PROMISE)

Also! Do you guys already have any ships in mind? Lol

I couldn’t help but ship Seulgi and Ten bc both are my biases and really good at dancing haha.