Eleven.

Of Judgmental Stares, Fake Masks and Tender Hearts

Chapter Eleven: Karma.

 

She usually gets up at five, but today, she gets up at three in the morning. It’s not like she could get any sleep anyway. Kang Seulgi blinks her eyes twice before pulling out her laptop from her school bag and turns it on.

 

Wonwoo would hate it if she tries to get back at Nayeon. For the bluff and confidence he radiates, Kang Wonwoo has never once in his life thought of revenge. He’s far too much of an altruist for Seulgi’s liking. Karma exists, it comes one way or another and Seulgi prefers delivering the karma as soon as possible. She prefers if she’s the karma, rather than some other misfortune that befalls on the other person—they wouldn’t learn.

 

This time, Nayeon deserves karma to slap her on the face with an iron chair and Seulgi intends to be the one to do it to her. The girl looks up on Nayeon in the internet, cursing herself for knowing so little about Nayeon.

 

Obviously, she needs someone who knows about her and this town well. Seulgi huffs. Seungwan is not an owl, she manages her time and activities well so no matter how busy she is, the girl will always have enough sleep. Besides, Seungwan will definitely bombard Seulgi with questions if she called Seungwan now and Seulgi doesn’t really need that at the moment.

 

Oh. Of course. Seulgi knows who she should call and she doesn’t even care if the person has already gone to sleep because he should be happy to help her. Reaching for her phone, Seulgi quickly finds Johnny’s contact and dials his number.

 

She needs to dial it three times before Johnny picks it up. He doesn’t sound happy.

 

“I swear to God, you’re lucky I just finished my Star Wars marathon or I’m blocking you.”

 

His sarcastic remark brings a smile on Seulgi’s face. “Yeah, good to know. Anyway, I need help.”

 

“Ooh.” Seulgi can hear Johnny hums in interest. “Is this about a certain Im Nayeon? You came to the right person. You’re lucky I’m your friend, Kang Seulgi.”

 

The girl smiles wider. “I know, right? Bless the day we met, Seo.” Johnny chuckles at her response. “So, fill me in about Im Nayeon.”

 

Johnny whistles. “That depends. Would you rather give a swift and quick revenge or would you rather drag this down?”

 

Seulgi plays with a strand of her hair, thinking. “I may be petty, but I want to give her a long, long period filled with humiliation.” Seulgi is surprised at how easily that came out of and how casual she feels about saying that. “I want her to suffer for a long time.”

 

The other boy is silent for a few moments. “From one to ten how angry are you with Nayeon? Ten as in number not ten the human.”

 

Seulgi scoffs and Johnny’s attempt but she doesn’t hesitate when she speaks. “Numbers can’t define my current hatred.”

 

“Well, as you wish.” Johnny’s soft chuckle tickles her ear. “No.”

 

His rejection catches Seulgi off guard. “Wh—what? What do you mean no?” She repeats, clutching the phone tighter.

 

“Seulgi, I know how badly Nayeon has hurt you and I agree she’s bringing this upon herself but I know a lot of things in this town, probably even more than the locals, and it’s not only limited to our school, okay? I never wanted my information to be used for vengeance such as yours. Well, for s and giggles it may be funny, but you want something else, right? I’m afraid I can’t give you what you want.”

 

“Don’t try to be a saint when you already know what you shouldn’t have!” Seulgi’s voice comes out louder than she has intended. The girl quickly takes a deep breath, trying to calm herself down before speaking again. “Look, she messed with my family, okay? She’s been doing a lot of crazy stuff and hurt a lot of people, she needs to learn a lesson, Johnny!”

 

Johnny let out a heavy sigh. “It’s not my place to do so, Seul. Heck, it’s not our place to do so! Karma’s not something we can control.”

 

Seulgi grits her teeth, feeling angry that Johnny can’t be of a help. Heck, he has the resources to stop Nayeon for being such a but he doesn’t want to use it? “So all this time, when Nayeon hurt Seungwan, or Ten, or Taeyong, you never once feel the need to expose her? You stayed put and let her walk all over your friends?”

 

“The world doesn’t have to work like that—“

 

“Wow.” Seulgi shakes her head, “Quite a friend you are.”

 

“If you think friends should get a revenge for—“

 

“That revenge is needed when the other party has stepped out of line. In case you’re wondering, I think Nayeon has stepped out of line too many times and she always gets away with it.”

 

“Don’t bring Seungwan into this.”

 

“Funny you say that, you never do anything when Nayeon hurt her so many times.”

 

It’s quiet for a few seconds, Seulgi’s chest heaving up and down. She’ll do whatever she can to get what her want. The girl understands Johnny’s hesitancy, she understands he means well, but he can’t simply just take the higher road forever? There are lines and boundaries and if those lines and boundaries are trespassed, nobody can get away with it.

 

“This is Nayeon’s karma, Johnny.” Seulgi mutters into the phone.

 

A few seconds later, she hears Johnny sighs. “Alright. But please, know when to stop, okay?”

 

She frowns at Johnny’s words. “Of course, Johnny. I only wanted her to stop being such an . It’ll ruin herself in the future.”

 

“Alright, princess. I’ll send you some pretty juicy stuff about her.” Seulgi can hear Johnny shuffling and the sound of fingers typing against a keyboard. In a few seconds, she receives a notification on her e-mail. “Should be arrived by now.”

 

Feeling her heart race in anticipation, Seulgi quickly opens Johnny’s mail and finds a picture of a burly, tall, man with a woman. The woman looks like she’s from a different class than the man, clad with expensive items and neat appearance, whereas the man looks simple, only wearing a faded blue shirt with brown colored pants.

 

“That person is the journalist for local newspaper, Lee Joon. The lady’s Nayeon’s mom. Look closely and you’ll see her holding some Won there. Suspicious, suspicious.” Johnny explains and Seulgi stares at the picture with wide-eyes.

 

“Hold on…” she murmurs, zooming on the picture and noticing the money Johnny’s talking about. Seulgi frowns.

 

“Bribery? Or does she owe him something? What—how did you get this?”

 

“I did not stalk them, okay? I know more than just petty schoolgirl gossips around this town. Though, I don’t know exactly what they did with the money. That’s for you to find out.”

 

“Or it might be she just wanted the guy to buy her some tacos from Jungs and paid him after. You never know.” Seulgi snorts at Johnny’s reply. “Honestly, Seul. All these information are just ‘fun facts’ and trivias for me. I like gossips and all but I know when to stop. Telling you about Nayeon’s family might be a mistake on my part, but she’s also wrong for nosing into your family matters. I came across her mother and Joon when I just finished my part-time work and it looked suspicious and I was wrong for taking pictures.”

 

“Whatever you want to do with that picture or that info is honestly up to you.”

 

Johnny’s words sends chill down Seulgi’s spine but at the same time sparks her anger. “Dude, if you’re trying to be a saint now, it’s far too late, you know that?”

 

“You don’t have to say it twice.” Johnny complains. “By the way, if you’re curious of the fishy business between Nayeon’s mother and Lee Joon, I suggest you find a certain Bae Joohyun of the Newspaper club. She’s our senior.”

 

Seulgi furrows her eyebrows. “Yeah? What about her?”

 

“She’s the head of Yeongsan Public High Journal, which is our school’s newspaper. She has connections to this town’s newspaper company, including Joon. She might be helpful. You can find her in the library during the second break, or the newspaper team room during Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.”

 

“Alright.” Seulgi mutters to her phone. “Thanks, Johnny.”

 

“Yeah, yeah. By the way, my information is not for free. I expect free treat at Jungs for two weeks straight.”

 

“.” Seulgi replies. “Consider it a deal.”

 

***

 

When morning arrives, Seulgi is surprised by Seungwan and Johnny in front of her house.

 

“I was so worried!” Seungwan wails, pulling Seulgi into a hug that feels like a death-grip. “Seulgi, I swear I didn’t say a word, I don’t know how Nayeon—“

 

Seulgi laughs slightly, patting Seungwan’s back as she returns the hug. “It’s okay, Wannie, I’m all better now. Don’t worry!”

 

“You sure?” the girl doesn’t seem convinced, still staring at Seulgi with worry etched on her face. “When you ran away from school yesterday I didn’t know what to do, I can’t contact you, or Wonwoo. I was so scared and worried. I really, really hope you’re okay and feeling a lot better now.”

 

“Thank you.” Seulgi’s eyes soften at Seungwan’s babbling. “But really, I’m so much better now. I’m sorry about yesterday, I was impulsive and brash. But thank you so much for worrying about me, Wan.”

 

Johnny nudges Seungwan’s arms. “Look, she’s one hundred percent okay, right? Calm down, now.”

 

Seungwan nods before straightens her uniform. “Uh, I was wondering if you and Wonwoo’d like to go to school together but with… you know… a bus?”

 

“Sounds cool. Mr. Kim can have some rest this morning.” Wonwoo agrees instantly, excited at the idea of using a bus. “I’ve never use any busses around here.”

 

“Damn you rich people.” Johnny jokes. “Well, come on, let’s go now. Time won’t wait for us.”

 

The four of them begins to walk towards the nearest bus stop then, Seulgi changes the topic to the supposedly new menu at Jung’s and questioning Ten and Taeyong’s absence.

 

“Oh, that.” Seungwan mumbles as they walk pass an electronic store. “Ten has to drop his sister on a daycare today. Taeyong’s mom got sick this morning and he’s been accompanying her in the hospital, he’d still go to school, though.”

 

“I see. I hope his mom didn’t suffer anything bad.” Wonwoo squints, noticing the bus stop nearby. “Ah, that must be the place.”

 

“By the way, where were you yesterday? I mean, we’re pretty much looking for you everywhere and it’s like you disappeared into thin air.” Johnny glances at Seulgi curiously.

 

Seulgi arches an eyebrow. “I thought you guys already knew. I mean, since Ten found me in the forest and all I thought he told you guys, too.”

 

Her statement earns an arched eyebrow from Johnny and wide eyes from Seungwan. “Hold up. Let me repeat this again. You saying Ten found you in the forest yesterday?” Johnny asks in disbelief.

 

“…Yeah, is there something wrong?”

 

“I thought he wouldn’t look for you since he said he’s picking up Tern from the daycare and all.” Johnny shrugs. “But that’s good anyway. Proves that the guy still has heart and compassion in his soul. God knows he needs it.”

 

“That sounds terrible.” Wonwoo pipes in and Seungwan nods in agreement.

 

Seulgi snorts. “It’s not terrible, half of the population in this ed up earth shares the same view with him.”

 

When they reach the bus stop, it doesn’t take a while before it arrives. Seungwan helps Seulgi up, linking her arms with Seulgi as she searches for vacant seat. She founds two empty seats in the back and in no time, Seulgi is sitting comfortably beside the window, Seungwan on her left. Wonwoo and Johnny take a seat on the back of the bus.

 

“I’m so glad Ten found you yesterday.” Seungwan murmurs, resting her head on the bus seat as she locks eyes with Seulgi’s. “I’m also really glad that you’re feeling better now. Smile and happiness really suit your face better than a frown. Wonwoo, too.”

 

The girl’s sincere words bring a smile on Seulgi’s face. Letting out a happy sigh, Seulgi rests her head on Seungwan’s shoulder. “Thank you, Seungwan.”

 

***

 

If there’s anyone who’s still quite in surprise about Nayeon’s revelation of Seulgi’s family, they had a good job in covering it—but Seulgi’s not surprised. It’s one thing she has seen over and over again through the years of her life, people always pretend like they know nothing and everything is fine, all for the sake of reducing awkwardness and the other party’s feeling. She supposes it’s a good thing such tendency exists.

 

She spots Nayeon leaning against her locker and Seulgi rolls her eyes. It’s not even seven in the morning and the girl is already picking fights.

 

“Good morning, hobo.” Nayeon greets with her saccharine smile.

 

Seulgi doesn’t give the girl any reply, simply just shoving her away so Seulgi can put her belongings in her locker. Surprised at Seulgi’s strength, Nayeon stumbles and nearly falls. She regains her composure, shooting seething glare towards Seulgi.

 

“You honestly have no shame, do you?” she grits through her teeth.

 

“I thought it’s been engrained to your brain that I have attitude problems and no manners at all.” Seulgi replies curtly, opening her locker and shoving her books inside. “Or maybe you destroyed few brain cells planning more ways to make me suffer? Not like you have any to begin with.”

 

Nayeon’s face contorts in anger, for the first time, looking really ugly in Seulgi’s eyes. “I thought you’d learn your lesson after yesterday, I know I shouldn’t expect anything from a brainless .”

 

Seulgi doesn’t spare the girl a glance. She gathers the books she needed for today’s class and shuts her locker door quietly.

 

“Funny. You’re the one who started the fire, Nayeon. Don’t chicken out when karma strikes. You know you can’t get away with you’ve done.”

 

With that, Seulgi leaves the angry girl and proceeds to her own classroom, knowing that the longer she stays with Nayeon, the less likely she’ll be able to hold her temper.

 

***

 

When Ten spots Seulgi, Johnny, Seungwan and Wonwoo entering the classroom, he quickly averts his gaze, pretending not to realize their arrival. It’s easy, his earphone is already connected to his ears and a photography book is opened in front of him.

 

Johnny slaps his back playfully, surprising Ten as the guy takes his usual seat behind Ten. “Good morning to you, Mr. Grump.” The boy greets, giving Ten a lopsided grin.

 

Ten shoots him a seething glare. “I am so sick of seeing your face, you know that?”

 

“I am so sick of your emo , too, but since I’m a saint who loves everyone, I don’t complain.” Johnny replies, the innocent grin never leaving his face.

 

Wonwoo chuckles as he takes a seat beside Johnny. Despite the rude banter between the two, Wonwoo knows Johnny and Ten are super close and their bickering are always fun to watch—it’s his personal entertainment.

 

“Good morning, Ten!” Seungwan chirps brightly. Her bright and warm aura seems to light up the dull classroom just a little.

 

Ten watches as Seulgi takes a seat beside Seungwan, by the window, citrus fills the air every time she moves and her golden hair reflects the morning sunlight. She looks the polar opposite of the Seulgi he found in the forest yesterday—lost, distraught, defeated. Today, she’s a tall, blooming sunflower.

 

“Good moooooorniinng, Ten!” the blonde girl greets him cheerfully, turning her body to face him with a bright grin on her face. She rests her chin on both of her palm and looks at him through her long lashes, sweet smile never leaving her lips.

 

Ten feels like he’s been punched in the stomach because…

 

Wow.

 

“Good morning.” He grunts, collecting himself before pulling his earphones off and puts it inside his pocket.

 

Johnny eyes the two suspiciously, body leaning towards Wonwoo so he can get a better look of the two. “What’s this? Did something happen yesterday? Why the change in attitude?”

 

Seulgi shoots him an innocent smile. “Nothing.”

 

The brown haired boy narrows his eyes, not believing her words. “Don’t give me that .”

 

However, Seulgi chooses to ignore him and returns her attention to the Thai boy. “How’s little Terny? Did she miss me?”

 

“You’ve met Tern?” Seungwan asks, almost surprised.

 

“Who’s Tern?” Wonwoo questions from the back, lost at their conversation.

 

“My little sister.” Ten answers hesitantly. “She’s good and no, she doesn’t miss you.”

 

Seulgi arches an eyebrow, as if challenging him. “Yeah, sure.” The girl chuckles before running her fingers through her long, long hair. “You know you should stop lying to yourself sometimes.”

 

“Oh, whatever.” Ten grumbles, leaning back on his chair and looks out the window, where his own grumpy expression stares back at him.

 

The blonde girl frowns a bit at his response but smiles again after a second, playing with Ten’s keychain that’s hanging on his pencil case. The girl leans forward so that she’s closer to him. “Thanks for yesterday, though.” Seulgi says, voice dropping into a whisper, too quiet to be heard by Seungwan, Johnny and Wonwoo, but loud enough for Ten to hear.

 

The hair on Ten’s almost rises at her voice but he ignores it. “You don’t have to thank me.” He huffs, suddenly feeling embarrassed and looking at anywhere but the girl in front of him.

 

Seulgi looks up at him, her pink lips part to say something, only to be cut when a dark haired boy takes a seat comfortably beside Ten. Im Jaebum casually claims Taeyong’s seat, giving Seulgi a smile worth a million dollar.

 

“Seulgi! It’s so great to see you.” he greets her, charisma oozing from him like honey.

 

Immediately, Ten frowns.

 

However, Seulgi grins again, eyes disappearing into crescent at the sight of Jaebum. “Jaebummie! Good morning.”

 

“You look like you’re feeling better now. I hope you do. I was really worried when I couldn’t find you yesterday.” Jaebum says earnestly, casually leaning forward to move a wild strand of hair from Seulgi’s face, an action that adds more frown on Ten’s face.

 

Seulgi doesn’t seem to mind. Instead, she gives the basketball captain a warm smile. “Yeah, I’m feeling a lot better now, thanks to Tenny over here.” She jokes, inserting the other guy into the conversation.

 

“You found her?” Jaebum’s eyes widen slightly, looking at Ten as if he just noticed the boy there. “I’m jealous.”

 

“Don’t be.” Ten replies curtly.

 

Jaebum let out a free laugh. “Anyway, it’s really great that you’re better now, Seulgi. What Nayeon did yesterday was low, I hope you don’t get too burdened by it. I’m here for you.” he gives her a charming smile. “Anyway, Taeyong’s not coming today since he got to take care of his sick mom.”

 

“So I’ve heard.” Seulgi clicks her tongue. “I hope she gets better soon.”

 

“Agree.” Jaebum murmurs. “But this seat will be empty, right? Wanna sit with me? Jackson can sit here with Ten. I think he’ll be happy to sit near Wonwoo.”

 

“What?” Ten blurts, looking offended. “I’m not coming anywhere near that .”

 

Johnny’s laughter rings from the back. “You should! Maybe his liveliness can rub on you for a bit. God knows you need more life inside.”

 

In the end, Seungwan sits beside Ten, while Seulgi is scooped up and seated on Jaebum’s throne—not exactly, but by the look on Jaebum’s face, he looks like he just did that. Ten watches as Seulgi laughs at something Jaebum says. Frowning, he looks away and stares outside the window, trying his best to block Seulgi’s laughter.

 

“You look glum, something the matter?” Seungwan asks, completely oblivious.

 

The question seems to kick some sense into Ten’s brain because a switch seems to be flicked behind his head. Why the hell is he grumpy anyway? He has no reason to be grumpy. Well, other than Jaebum’s vain and Jackson sitting in front of him.

 

“I’m always grumpy every morning.” Ten pouts.

 

He doesn’t notice the look shared between Seungwan and Johnny and how the latter tries to suppress his laughter—Ten is a dense piece of .

 

***

 

When break time comes, Jaebum asks if Seulgi wants to grab lunch with him together, but Seulgi declines. After all, there are more pressing matters at hand rather than entertaining Jaebum’s hot . The girl quickly approaches Johnny.

 

“Take me to Jonghyun.” She whispers.

 

“It’s Joohyun.” Johnny deadpans. “And I can’t. There’s this hot blind item consisting Meiqi and Xuanyi and I want to know—not that I mind about same relationship but I have to know.”

 

“What an .” The blonde girl shakes her head in disapproval.

 

“Ten and Seungwan can take you to Joohyun, they go to the library frequently.”

 

Seulgi shoots him a glare before turning her back towards Ten and Seungwan. Her vicious glare disappears in an instant, replaced by a cheerful, bright smile. Even after all these months, it still freaked Johnny a bit how Seulgi can change her expression and mood in a matter of second. The girl is the best actress he had ever witnessed.

 

“Guys.” Seulgi says sweetly, placing both of her hands on the table. “I need a favor to ask of you.”

 

Seungwan looks up from her math book with mild interest. Obviously not knowing what kind of intent Seulgi has. “Sure, Seul, anything.”

 

In contrast to Seulgi’s radiant smile, Ten eyes the girl suspiciously, as if bracing himself from what trouble that may come.

 

“I need to speak to Joohyun, the head of the school’s newspaper. Johnny has some juicy gossip he has to investigate so that leaves the two of you.”

 

“What business do you have with Joohyun?” Ten asks, eyes narrowed.

 

“Oh, nothing big, just wanted to ask if I could promote my mother’s business in the school newspaper! Johnny told me I should ask her myself.” The blonde vixen lies easily.

 

Johnny shakes his head before proceeding to leave the classroom, wanting nothing to do with the conversation anymore—even though he’s more involved than ever.

 

Seungwan purses her lips, “Well, I would love to show you around but Mr. Lee asked me to help him around with stuff. Ten could help you!”

 

“Do I have to?” The words leave Ten’s lips even before he could think to stop it.

 

“Ten!” Seungwan whines, slapping Ten’s arm lightly to reprimand him. “Here I am thinking that things have loosened up between you two!”

 

“Alright!” Seulgi beams before Ten can say anything. “Take me to her, Ten!”

 

The raven haired boy sighs before motioning Seungwan to move, giving him space so he can leave his seat. “Alright, let’s go.”

 

Gingerly, Seulgi walks beside him and Ten purses his lips, feeling somewhat annoyed. Seulgi is quick to start up a conversation, as he expected and he stays quiet, letting Seulgi tells him what stupidity Wonwoo did on breakfast. Instead, Ten looks at their surroundings, noticing the curious look people give them as they walk along the halls.

 

Of course, Seulgi is worshipped like a Goddess, people would trade anything to be her friend. Him? Ten Leechaiyakul is an immigrant son who speaks with accented Korean and is a loner. Not the most aesthetically pleasing match for society’s eyes.

 

“Oh, jeez. You’re not listening to me!” Seulgi whines, punching his arm playfully and that breaks Ten out of his reverie.

 

“What?”

 

The girl pouts before looking away. “Ugh, forget it.” She grumbles before looking away but Ten notices she distanced herself from him just a bit. The guy feels like he wants to scoff.

 

“Alright, cut the crap, what do you want with Joohyun anyway?” he asks, lowering his voice so Seulgi’s the only one who can hear him.

 

He’s not surprised when Seulgi pretends not to hear him and looking at the wall decorations instead. He doesn’t blame her. Even a pebble is more interesting than spending an hour with him. Ten clicks his tongue before moving closer to the girl, nudging her lightly with his elbow.

 

“Sorry?” he tries.

 

“That’s the most insincere apology I have ever heard but coming from you, I think it worth diamonds.” Seulgi mumbles nonchalantly, her fingers brushing his hand just slightly and Ten can’t help but to remember that chilly night in the forest where she took his hand as he lead her out of the forest.

 

He blinks, trying to shoo away the thoughts.

 

“Good to know we’re on the same page.” He replies dryly.

 

Seulgi glares at him. “That aside, didn’t I tell you last night? You know, that one time you went so out of character, yesterday?”

 

The raven haired guy feels his cheek burning. “Yeah, yeah, what about it?” he asks, suddenly feeling awkward and bashful.

 

“Yeah. So I’m plotting my revenge now, .”

 

“But what does Joohyun has to do with all this?” Ten arches an eyebrow, eyes locking with Seulgi’s and when he look upon the determination reflected on her eyes, reminding him of harsh ocean waves in a middle of a raging storm, he kinds of don’t want to know. “Never mind. I think it’s better if I know nothing about this.”

 

Seulgi purses her lips, moving away a little when Ten opens the library door for both of them. “Fine. Don’t come asking me for when things get heated up later.”

 

Ten rolls his eyes as the girl walks past him. He follows her into the library and closes the door behind him, quickly catching up with the girl. Ten steps closer until his chest almost touching her shoulders and God, she smells so nice.

 

“These kinds of things never piqued my interest, Kang Seulgi.” He whispers softly just right beside her ears and Seulgi shudders visibly, the hair on her neck rising.

 

The girl pulls him with her so both of them are hidden between a tall bookshelf and the wall. “Alright. We’re here now. Where is Joohyun, what’s she like? I need things to go smoothly.” She says in a hushed voice, looking around the spacious room before looking at him again. “And by the way, the dramas in this town must be very corny, then. Don’t worry. I’ll make one hell of a story this town will never forget—that includes you and your damned interest.”

 

Ten stares at the girl for a while. Those fiery orbs looking back at his dull ones. He sighs. “If you want something from Joohyun, you gotta be specific with what you want and why you want it. I don’t think she’ll be willing to cooperate with you if the reason why you’re after her is just for plain revenge.” He searches for her eyes and Seulgi nods in apprehension. “Although, from what I’ve heard… the school’s newspaper team kinda have a little grudge for Nayeon’s family since the Im is the school’s biggest funder but they barely give the newspaper team any funding.”

 

“Good thing I’m a good negotiator... and rich.” Seulgi replies confidently, smiling coyly at him. “Now, take me to her.”

 

Rolling his eyes, the boy heads out, heading towards the end of the library—where Joohyun always sits and studies. He almost tripped over his own foot when Seulgi, again, linked her fingers with his. The guy stares at her in disbelief.

 

“Kang Seulgi in case you don’t know we are standing on a flat surface with no risk of slipping and falling. Get off.”

 

“Oh don’t be so grouchy, if holding hands despise you so much I wonder if you’ll combust if someone kisses you?”

 

They glare at each other for a few seconds before Ten gives up and let the girl holds his hand. If there’s anything to comfort him (Aside from her warm, soft hand that totally doesn’t feel nice in his), it’s definitely the lack of students during this hour and even if there are, they’ll be the nerdy ones who can’t gossip to save a life.

 

He leads her past the bookshelves, trying not to be seen by other students if possible. In no time, they reach the left corner of the library. It’s an open, quiet space, covered with old, crimson rug which color has long been faded. There’s just one bean bag chair in the corner with small wooden table on its left and a small standing lamp on its right.

 

A girl with long, long reddish brown hair is sitting on the bean bag chair comfortably, head buried in a Higashino Keigo book, seemingly oblivious to whatever is happening around her. The golden light of the lamp creates a bright halo on her hair and her skin is really, really pale.

 

Seulgi exchanges glance with Ten and the boy signals her to speak, so Seulgi clears softly before wearing her most charming smile and speaks.

 

“Good afternoon, Bae Joohyun-ssi.”

 

Joohyun looks up from her book, staring at Seulgi through her round glasses, looking a bit surprised to find her here. The girl’s eyebrow arches just a bit when noticing Ten standing beside her. Joohyun closes her book, places it on her lap and crosses her leg, looking at them with mild interest.

 

“Kang Seulgi, Ten,” She greets back politely. “What is it?”

 

Seulgi smiles wider, placing her hands behind her back, looking just like a sly kid bargaining for her sweet little candy with a wicked smile on her face. “Bae Joohyun, I’ve come to bargain.”

 

Author’s Note:

That last sentence is definitely not a reference to Doctor Strange.
ANYWAY OH LORD it’s been ages since I updated this story cries, so sorry guys! This term has been such hell for me and I craved time to distress and relaxing.
But tbh I kind of forgot how this chapter should go hence why everything is a jumbled up mess IM SO SORRY
Also pls don’t worry if I suddenly don’t update this story regularly because I promise I’ll finish this story no matter what!!11!!1!11