Twelve.

Of Judgmental Stares, Fake Masks and Tender Hearts

Chapter Twelve: Allies.




“Lee Joon?” Joohyun repeats, looking at Seulgi in confusion. “Um… why do you need Lee Joon’s contact?”
 

Seulgi gives the girl a lopsided grin. “Oh, just some little stuff, no biggie.”
 

The auburn haired girl sips her orange juice, contemplating as she tries to figure Seulgi out. She has convinced Joohyun to talk in the school’s rooftop, just the two of them. However, Joohyun can’t help but to be wary. Seulgi never talks to her before, so why is the blonde girl acting so chummy with Joohyun now?
 

“Does this have something to do with Nayeon?”
 

Seulgi clicks her tongue, weighing her words carefully. Joohyun’s eyes never leave the blonde girl, watching her every moves as the wind blows, messing up the girl’s neatly styled blonde locks.
 

“Yes. It has.” Seulgi admits truthfully.
 

Joohyun exhales heavily, entwining her fingers behind her back and shifts her gaze to the bright sky above them. “I suppose she hurt you real bad, huh?” the girl speaks softly. “What she did, it was awful—“
 

“I’d rather… not talk about that.” The blonde cuts Joohyun off and regretting it a second later. “I don’t know… she’s just so… vile, not just to me but everyone else. I still can’t believe that nobody in this school has ever stood up against her.”
 

“Most who did end up regretting it.”
 

Seulgi scoffs. “Why? Because she has money and power? I have that too, but that’s not the point. I will never let anyone treat me or my family—despite how ty it is right now—like a doormat. Nayeon has stepped out of line and I won’t wait for karma to work, I’m going to deliver it to her as soon as possible.”
 

The older girl chuckles mirthlessly, shaking her head. Of course, there’s no denying that she sympathize with Seulgi. Heck, even without yesterday’s drama, Joohyun has been waiting days where she could repay what Nayeon did to everyone. Right now, Seulgi is offering something that’s very tempting to her.
 

“Have you ever thought that I might not want to cooperate with your plan?”
 

“Why? Are you the type of person who’ll always take the high road no matter what? Trust me, it’s tiring. Sooner or later you’ll reach your breaking point because, news flash! People always disappoint.”
 

The girl tilts her head to the side, Seulgi does have a point but Joohyun is not an angel who’ll forgive what kind of misery people make her go through—she prefers to play safe, even though it may seems cowardly, she prefers not risking anything rather than chasing after petty revenge.
 

“Besides, the favor I’m asking you is really small.” Seulgi says again, her voice softer this time and there’s a pitiful look on her face.
 

Joohyun chews the inside of her cheek. “Tell me what you want me to do first, then I’ll consider it.”

 

***

 

“Someone looks very happy today.” Johnny says quietly as the group leaves the school ground, side-eyeing Seulgi who walks happily between Seungwan and Ten.
 

“Everyone looks happy today.” Seulgi replies innocently, straightening her hair and slicing her lemon cake with a sweet smile on her face.
 

Wonwoo arches an eyebrow, the older twin has been noticing the change in Seulgi’s mood just after the first lunch break. “Yeah, but you’re too happy, it’s suspicious.”
 

The younger twin feigns a hurt expression. “Are you saying after what happened yesterday I should still wallow in self-pity and shouldn’t move on and be happy with my life?” she shakes her head dramatically, placing her hand on Wonwoo’s shoulder.
 

“Go to hell, Seulgi.” Ten blurts, which earns a light punch from Seungwan.
 

“That’s not nice, Ten!”  Seungwan shakes her head. “You know, I think we should pay Taeyong a visit today, since he missed class and all.” She waves her hands as she speaks. “We should help him with his mother!”
 

Seulgi gives a very sly smile at Seungwan’s request. “By we, I think you mean… you.”
 

The brunette blushes almost instantly at Seulgi’s witty remark. “I never said that.” She squeaks, looking down at her shoes and avoiding the other’s eyes.
 

Wonwoo snorts before giving Seungwan a reassuring pat. “I ship you and Taeyong. Both of you make a good couple.”
 

“Shut up!” Seungwan squeals, covering her face with her hair and trying to get away from Seulgi, who’s chasing after the girl, ready to envelope the brunette in a bone-crushing hug.
 

The five of them laugh freely, as if no burden is attached to their frail shoulders and no iron shackles wrapped around their ankles and dragging them down—particularly the blonde, who looks like she can float any time, her bright smile dims others around hers.
 

Johnny steps back a little, allowing the rest to walk just in front of him. Seulgi seems to get the hint because she slows down her pace and is now walking beside Johnny, giving the taller guy a cheeky smile, similar to a kid who just got her favorite candy.
 

“So things go well with Joohyun, then?” he lowers his voice, his eyes finding hers.
 

“Easy peasy lemon squeezy.” Her reply comes in happy giggles. “Come on, we should go hit the booth at Jung’s. I’m dying for some chocolate ice cream.” Seulgi says before wrapping her hand around Johnny’s arm, dragging the boy to catch up with the rest of the group.

 

***

 

When Taeyong wakes up, the clock almost hits seven PM and the boy instantly gets up from the bed, cursing softly when his feet accidentally kicked his study table. Limping through the hallways of his home, Taeyong makes his way to his mother’s room, only to be stopped when he hears noises from the kitchen.
 

His father shouldn’t be home until 9. There should be only him and his mother in his house.
 

Nervously picking up the nearby vase, he quietly makes his way to the kitchen. He spots a silhouette on the walls but can’t make out whether it’s friend or enemy. Rising the flower vase ready above his head, he quickly charges to the kitchen, only to be met with a surprised, high-pitched scream.
 

“Holy muffins! Taeyong! What on earth?” Seungwan exclaims in surprise, almost offended when she looks at the vase in Taeyong’s hand.
 

“Speak to yourself!” Taeyong replies, looking like he’s more surprised than Seungwan. “I thought you’re a thief or something!”
 

Son Seungwan shakes her head, looking so done. “Your dad texted me where the key is okay? I mean… I just wanted to make sure that your mom’s alright and help you out a bit.” She admits, looking somewhat flustered and shy.
 

Taeyong’s eyes soften at her words. “Thank you.” he mumbles, rubbing the back of his head bashfully. “You should’ve woken me up, though.”
 

The brunette fidgets slightly, playing with her hair as she stares at anywhere but Taeyong. “You looked really tired back then. I thought it’s better if I let you sleep…”
 

A soft smile grazes his lips, Taeyong sighs before rubbing his eyes. “What are you doing anyway? Are you making something?”
 

“Yeah.” Seungwan replies, quickly making her way to Taeyong’s stove to check on the cooking. “I thought your mom would love some chicken soup?” she smiles sheepishly.
 

Taeyong chuckles before rubbing Seungwan’s head playfully. “You are a blessing to this world, Son Seungwan.”
 

His words bring a lovely blush on Seungwan’s face. The girl let out an awkward laugh, busying herself with the soup as Taeyong prepares the dining table. She can’t help but to steal a glance at the boy, soft smile grazing her lips and refusing to go. This feels so very nice.
 

“Oh, the group gives well wishes and hopes your mother to recover soon.” She breaks the silence, looking back at Taeyong, who’s staring back at her. The power of his gaze throws her off guard. Maybe it’s a Taeyong thing, always looking at someone so intently and Seungwan can’t help but to feel shy and flustered under his gaze.
 

“Really? That’s nice of them. Thank you.” he smiles as he places three plates on the table. “How’s… how is Seulgi and Wonwoo? After yesterday?”
 

Seungwan turns off the stove and picks up a nearby bowl. “They’re feeling better. I’m glad they’re no longer bummed about Nayeon.”
 

Taeyong makes way to the girl, holding the bowl for Seungwan as she pours the soup. “Thanks again, Wan, you’re a big help.”
 

She looks up to meet his eye and giggles softly. “You don’t need to thank me.” She says quietly. “Careful, it’s hot.”
 

By the time they finished everything—helping Taeyong’s mother eat her meal, giving her meds and cleaning the dishes—the clock strikes 9 PM. Taeyong’s father, Donghae, arrives home, surprised to see Seungwan in the house. In the end, he ushered Taeyong to accompany Seungwan home.
 

So here they are, standing side by side on a crossroad near Seungwan’s home, waiting for the cars to stop passing as the night sky looms over them like pitch black blanket with bits of star every here and there. The air is cold and chilly and mixed with the scent of gasoline, fast food and trees yet Seungwan thinks it’s perfect.
 

“Have you texted your mom you’ll be returning late?” Taeyong asks, peering at the petite girl.
 

“Yeah. She doesn’t really like it but when she knows I’m staying at your house, she’s pretty chill.”
 

Taeyong chuckles. It has always been like that, both to his parents and to her parents—no matter how late it was, Seungwan’s parents know that she’s at his house, all worries float into the air and vice versa. He supposes it’s normal since even his parents know Seungwan’s parents since they’re toddlers.
 

“Let’s cross the street now.” He says once the street is clear. Unconsciously, he grabs Seungwan’s hand, leading her quickly until they reach the other side of the street, completely oblivious with the faint blush on Seungwan’s cheek. A pity.
 

“You always do this when we’re crossing the street.” Seungwan says softly, looking at his big hand wrapping around her small wrist. She wonders how such simple, repeatedly done act can still make her heart beat faster.
 

Taeyong looks back in confusion. “You’re always scared of crossing the street, Wan. I know you still do.” He says cheekily before letting go of her hand.
 

He doesn’t know how Seungwan dislikes the sudden loss of warmth in her wrist.
 

Seungwan let out a chuckle, matching her pace with him and continuing their walk to her home. She should be tired, she barely gets any rest since she wake up this morning, but right now her senses is even more awake than ever. She doesn’t want this to end so when she sees her tiny house not too far from where they’re standing, Seungwan feels her chest sinking just a little.
 

And then they arrived and the journey comes to an end.
 

“I’ll see you tomorrow at school?” Taeyong says, a kind smile grazing his lips—the kind smile he always give to everyone.
 

“Yeah. See you tomorrow.” Seungwan replies, giving him a tiny wave. “Be careful on your way home, alright? Text me when you’ve reached home!”
 

“I will, mom!”
 

And just that, he leaves.
 

Seungwan doesn’t enter her house until Taeyong disappears from sight.

 

***

 

Seulgi stares at the paper in her hands, the name ‘Lee Joon’ and his phone number and address are written neatly on it—all thanks to Bae Joohyun.


"Remember, this is not for free. You'll do what you promised, right?" Joohyun asks, one of her eyebrows raised as she looks at Seulgi calculatingly.

"Bae Joohyun, I never go back on my words." Seulgi smiles and it grows wider when Joohyun hands her a small piece of paper.

The deal is sealed.


 

The girl lies back on her bed, the white paper blocking her view of her ceiling. A wicked smile adorning her lips.
 

Oh, Im Nayeon, karma will come crashing down on you and there’s nothing you can do to stop it.

 

***

 

Author’s Note:
Blessing y’all with double update this week because why not
I’m super angry that my period is coming and hormonal acne is also popping out and IT HURTS but anw
I realized I did not talk about Cherry Bomb at all in the previous update?? I should be punished—it’s the best thing that has ever happened in my life.
Cherry Bomb by NCT is life changing GO CHECK IT OUT AND YOU’LL BE BLESSED AND DON’T FORGET TO STREAM THE MV AND VOTE FOR NCT SO THEY CAN GET ANOTHER WIN—