Three.

Of Judgmental Stares, Fake Masks and Tender Hearts

Chapter 3: The Skeletons We Hide in Our Closets

 

Ten didn’t know how he, Taeyong, Mingyu and Wonwoo ended up at Jung’s but it just happened. He was going get some coffee when Taeyong dragged him to join the rest of the group and now here he is, the loner stuck with the group of jocks.

“Anyway, like I’ve said, if we keep up our practice like before, we could beat Seongsan High easily.” Mingyu says, dipping his French fries into the mayonnaise as he vigorously talking about the team’s previous practice.

“Yeah, coach seems happy about it too.” Wonwoo agrees. “But anyway, what is that on your hoodie? Is that Thai?” Wonwoo asks, noticing Ten’s gray hoodie.

Taeyong snorts. “Oh, that. That is Ten’s most prized possession aside from his camera. He wears this hoodie almost every day.”

“Yeah, it’s Thai. It reads “I love Bangkok”.” Ten answers.

True, his Bangkok hoodie is one of his most prized possession. Ten got the hoodie when he was still a freshman back in Bangkok, before his life in South Korea began. The hoodie is old and worn out but the Thai letters printed on his hoodie shows otherwise—it’s still as bright and clear as new. Taeyong often told him to get something else to wear, he even gave Ten a brand new hoodie just so Ten would put more variety into his choice of clothing—Taeyong realizes that it was all in vain and his money was spent for nothing because Ten still shows up at Jung’s wearing his old and worn Bangkok hoodie.

“Looks cool. The Thai characters actually make it looks like it meant something deeper or cooler.” Wonwoo mutters.

“You make no sense, Wonwoo.”

“Shut up Mingyu.” Wonwoo replies. “Anyway, what were you going to do, Ten? Before being dragged here and all by Taeyong.”

Ten shrugs. “I was just getting some coffee.”

“You probably going to go to the woods to take pictures, aren’t you?” Taeyong says, arching an eyebrow.

“Pictures?” Wonwoo butts in before Ten could answer.

“Yeah, Ten is currently investing in photography. He often goes to the woods to take pictures.” Taeyong explains. “Personally, I think his photos were good.”

Ten shrugs. “I’m still a beginner. I’m not that good.”

Before, Ten’s only passion was dancing, but things happened last year that made him hesitant to dance again. It has been bleak. Ten had been dancing since he knew how to walk so when he decided to stop, it was painful. Taeyong helped him found a new hobby, to take his mind off of dancing—the boy introduced Ten to photography. Ten has been loving it ever since. It’s so much different than dancing, it doesn’t feel as good as dancing, but at least Ten enjoys himself and he finds peace when wandering through the forest and trying to capture sceneries with his camera.

Wonwoo looks at him with interest. “Whoa, so you ventured to the woods all by yourself? You’re not scared?” he asks, eyes widen innocently. God, he’s so similar with Seulgi.

“Uh… no?” Ten answers, staring at Wonwoo weirdly. He tries to erase Seulgi’s face each time he looks at Wonwoo. “The woods are safe, there are no dangerous beasts there. Besides, I only go there during the day.”

Wonwoo nods. “Wow, could you take me there sometimes? I’ve never been to a forest before.” He admits sheepishly. “Well, I have went to Amazon before but I didn’t exactly go to the forest because I got sick there so…”

Ten arches an eyebrow. “Well…” he says, weighing his options.

“You wouldn’t last two seconds in Yeongsan Forest, so give it up, city boy.” Mingyu butts in, grinning as if he just said something brilliant.

Well, Ten agrees to it.

“Oh, haha very funny.” Wonwoo replies, rolling his eyes. “I’m serious, you don’t have to take me far, I just want to see the forest for myself.”

“You want to see the forest? Trees, soil, small rivers and all?” Ten asks and Wonwoo nods vigorously. “Then just google it.”

Wonwoo’s excited eyes turns to glare. “Well, duh.” He says, ignoring the snickers coming from Mingyu and Taeyong. “That’s no fun. I want to see them with my own eyes.”

“Why do you care anyways? I mean, you should’ve seen more… awesome sight. You said so yourself, you always travel abroad with your family during holidays. Yeongsan Forest is just… forest.” Mingyu says, scratching the back of his neck.

“Yeah, only France, Greece, Japan, Mongolia, Egypt, Peru, US, Canada, Thailand, Indonesia, China, South Africa, Italy, German and England. I never went to see a real forest, Mingyu.”

Taeyong’s face scrunches up as he counts the countries Wonwoo has visited.

“Why do you move here?” he suddenly asks.

“Huh?”

“Why Yeongsan? Of all the places in South Korea, why Yeongsan?” Taeyong asks, his curiosity is genuinely reflected in his brown eyes.

Wonwoo frowns. “Is there a reason why I shouldn’t move to Yeongsan? Why are people so obsessed with the reason me and Seulgi move here?”

Ten almost snorts. Of course, people are still curious of why the family move to Yeongsan. Folk around here sometimes don’t know how to mind their own business. That’s the cons of living in a small town, your business becomes everyone’s business.

“Why you’re so obsessed in not telling us?” Mingyu fires back.

Wonwoo rolls her eyes before leaning back on his seat. Ten watches the scenario in front of him in amusement. No matter how expert both Wonwoo and Seulgi in playing their card, their weak points are always their past life. Seoul and their family.

“Just… my mom wants to return to her home town.” Wonwoo answers truthfully.

“Why isn’t your father coming?” Mingyu asks again.

Wonwoo smiles. “He’s busy, remember? Besides, you shouldn’t be surprised. Most kids in Seoul, particularly Gangnam doesn’t see much of their parents. It’s pretty normal.”

Taeyong looks apologetic, as if regretting forcing Wonwoo to open up. Mingyu, on the other hand, doesn’t look fazed. “That’s not normal. That’s sad.” He says instead. “I hope now that you moved here, at least you can have enough time with your mother. Both you and Seulgi.” Mingyu mutters.

Wonwoo doesn’t reply, but he does give Mingyu a grateful smile before leaning back on his chair and stares out of the window.

Ten continues to watch the scenario in front of him in silence. He clearly does not develop some sort of pity towards Seulgi and Wonwoo. No, he doesn’t.

 

***

 

For Ten, families are one of the most ironic form of relationships. You don’t get to choose your family. God just put you into a group of people and poof! That’s your family. Sometimes people get lucky, they are gifted with loving, supportive family. Gifted with people who loves you and you can tell each other all sorts of problems and they’d understand and they’d still love you. People who helped you to grow and always have your back no matter how difficult the situation is.

But those are the lucky ones.

And for the unlucky ones… well… things are just bad.

Some are stuck with parents who are abusive, who treat their children like punching bags and don’t put an effort in loving and raising them. Some put effort in providing their children a fine life yet they didn’t provide what their children needs: an actual loving interactions with their parents. Some forces their standards into their children. Or… if the parents isn’t flawed, then other will be the flaw of the family. Some children who’s ungrateful to their parents, some children abused their parents.

It’s really ironic. Families are supposed to be the on top of the list of people who you can count on, who would believe in you even if no-one can. Yet out there, there are a lot of people who becomes ruined because of their own family.

For Ten, his flaw is his parents—specifically, his mother.

But that’s a story for another chapter.

Today, Ten wakes up with a headache on his head. His sister’s cry is breaking the placidness of early morning, but not loud enough to wake his father from his slumber. The old man must’ve been dead tired or he’s already went to work. His eyes hurt as he forces himself to wake up and get off of the bed. Sluggishly, he walks towards his sister’s room, where he finds the toddler crying on the crib.

“What did you do this time, huh? Nightmares?” Ten asks as he picks Tern up and carries her, singing random song to ease the baby. Soon, Tern stops crying and she falls asleep on Ten’s shoulder. Carefully, Ten places the baby back in the crib and he heads back to his room sleepily.

He groans when he sees that it’s time for him to prepare for school. He wake up half an hour earlier than he’s supposed to. Sighing, Ten makes his way to the bathroom, reminding himself to get a coffee from Jung’s before going to class to keep himself wide awake throughout the day.

When he arrived downstairs, his father is serving him toast and thankfully, a cup of coffee.

“Dad.” Ten says, surprised at his presence.

“Hey.” His father replies, “Want some toast? I also made us coffee.”

“Uh… okay.”

One thing for sure, is that Ten’s father always left to work before Ten goes to school. Supposedly, he should’ve left when Ten was still comforting Tern. He’s surprised to find the old man still hanging out in the kitchen.

“No work for today?” Ten asks as he stuffs his mouth with the toast.

Ten’s father smiles and points at the calendar before returning to the kitchen counter to prepare a toast for himself. Ten looks at it and finds out that today is the 12th of March; his parents wedding anniversary. Though his father seems to be still clinging onto that date, for Ten, the 12th of March has long become another day of the month, just like 11th or 13th or 22nd of March. There’s no use in celebrating or remembering the wedding anniversary—not when his mother has long been gone and she clearly didn’t have an ounce of thought nor respect nor value her marriage.

“Oh.” Ten mutters. “What, you’re still going to wallow in self-pity? Even after three years?” he says, he can’t stop his mouth even if he wants to.

His father shrugs. “Love is weird, Tenny. You won’t understand even if I explain it to you.”

Ten scoffs and drinks his coffee. “Obviously it is, otherwise you wouldn’t still be pining for mom when it’s clear she’s the one who left us.”

The old man smiles. “Yeah? Well, one day, you’ll have your own fair share of weird love too, Ten. Then you’ll understand.”

Ten scowls. “No. I don’t want to.” He says, placing his empty cup on the table. “Anyways, I’ll head to school. Take care of Tern, okay? Bye dad!” he says as he heads for the door.

He doesn’t hear his father muttering goodbye.

 

***

 

For Kang Seulgi, early mornings are the worst. She’s not a morning-person so waking up early to head to school has been pain in the since her mother enrolled her to kindergarten. But one of the many reasons why she hates early mornings is because she always wakes up feeling empty and distraught. It has been like that lately, since things went south and her family moved to Yeongsan. Some nights, she’d get nightmares and though most of the times she woke up without remembering what her dreams or nightmares were, the first thing that comes into her mind is her father and how her, Wonwoo and her mother ended up in this small town.

There were days when her dreams used to be so vivid and bright and clear and beautiful, but those days have left her.

But still, foul mood and foul morning doesn’t give her an excuse to neglect her appearance and look all sullen at school. She lives to impress. No matter how ty her morning is—or maybe her life, it certainly has been ty for the past couple of months—she can’t let others see it. People are only allowed to see the ever-composed, happy and bright Seulgi. That’s what her mother always taught her.

Seulgi believes it.

So she straightens her uniform and brushes her long, blonde hair. Her black root is starting to show and she has to bleach it again. She stares at her reflection in the mirror, noticing the black circle under her eye before quickly fixes it up by applying enough concealer and put on some lip gloss.

And there she is, the perfect and happy Kang Seulgi.

The Kang Seulgi without worries and fears and problems.

Seulgi smiles to herself before heading out, nearly slamming herself into Wonwoo as she leave her room.

“Ouch. This house is huge, Wonwoo, don’t walk so close to the doors. One day you’ll have a door slammed right into your nose if you keep this up.” Seulgi grumbles before following her brother downstairs.

Wonwoo only laughs as he ruffles Seulgi’s hair. “A frown doesn’t suit you, Kang Seulgi, did you forget one of your mask on your dresser before you leave your room?” he jokes.

Seulgi pouts but she links her arm with Wonwoo anyway and walks downstairs.

As usual, their mother is sitting on the dining room, waiting for them. A laptop is placed in front of her as one hand quickly types on the keyboard while the other reach for the Mint Tea she loves so much and drinks it.

“Good morning, Mom.” Seulgi and Wonwoo says in unison, each gives their mother a peck on her cheek before sitting down and eating their own breakfast.

Taeyeon gives her twins a warm smile. “Good morning, kids. Seulgi, you look really lovely today… and Wonwoo, I heard the basketball match is coming soon, I hope you’ll ace it.” She says, closing her laptop and give them her full attention.

“You look good too, Mom.” Seulgi grins.

“Yeah, and don’t worry, our team would definitely win this game.” Wonwoo smiles. “How’s work going? Do you have any clients or?”

Taeyeon clasps her fingers on top of the laptop. “Yes, I’ve been asked to organize an exhibition in the nearby town. The painter is Kim Jaekyung, Seulgi, you love her works, right?”

Seulgi’s eyes lights up. “Kim Jaekyung? Really? I love her. Mom, this is so great. When will the exhibition take place?”

“We’re still discussing the date, but one thing for sure is the place would not be too far from here.” Taeyeon replies. “If this exhibition becomes a success, things will go well for us, I hope. We don’t have to rely on your father anymore.”

After the whole mess that happened between Taeyeon and Seokwoo, the woman brought her kids back to her hometown: Yeongsan. Though, for almost seventeen years the family, especially Seulgi and Wonwoo, have been living in wealth and glamor, this time, all those glitters and gold can disappear in just the blink of an eye.

The house is the only thing Taeyeon has that has her name on it and not Seokwoo’s. She can’t rely on her husband anymore, not after what he did, so Taeyeon took up her old job as an art curator and hope she can still be able to provide for her children. No, she won’t settle for less, she won’t live a more humble live—if her children grow up with silver spoon, she’ll make sure they stay living with silver spoon for as long as she lives. She doesn’t need Seokwoo. Her children can live just fine with her.

Wonwoo places his hand on top of Taeyeon’s hands. “Mom, you do know you can tell us if there’s anything wrong, right? We will be more than glad to help you.” He says.

Taeyeon smiles before wrapping her fingers around Wonwoo’s hands. “Thank you, Wonwoo, but as a parent, I have to make sure I don’t burden you. You two already have enough on your plates, so I just need you to trust me, okay? I will provide you everything you need and your lives will be so much better than mine.”

No, she will not burden Seulgi and Wonwoo. After all, it’s her job as a parent to provide and give her children a good life, she will not trouble Seulgi and Wonwoo with her worries—her children only deserves happiness.

“Mom, you already provide us a home to live in. It’s enough.” Seulgi says seriously. “Wonwoo and I mean it. If something happens, you can always count on us.”

Taeyeon let out a small chuckle. “I know.” She says. “Anyway, the driver is already waiting for you guys downstairs. Go, you have to attend school unless you’re sick. Okay?”

Seulgi rolls her eyes while Wonwoo groans, but they both get up and places a kiss on Taeyeon’s cheek before saying good bye.

Taeyeon watches as her children leave the house before opening her laptop and resuming her work. She still have lots in her savings, but money and wealth is like air; they can disappear in the blink of an eye, she still have to work hard. She can do this. She can give her children happiness despite all sorts of rock life has been throwing at her.

 

***

 

“You know,” Seungwan says as she, Taeyong and Johnny heads into the classroom. “Seulgi is unfair.”

“Unfair as in how?” Johnny asks.

“Well…” Seungwan huffs, balancing her books on her hands as she runs her fingers through her brown locks. “She’s insanely pretty, she’s rich, she’s also good in class, she’s confident, she has killer body… How could God make someone without a flaw?” she says, eyes staring at something far in the distance.

Taeyong chuckles. “Seulgi sure is something, huh?” he says, remembering the blonde girl.

“Nobody is perfect.” Johnny mutters. “I’m sure Seulgi has her own skeletons inside her closet, too. We just haven’t seen it yet.”

“Yeah, but how bad could her skeletons be?” Seungwan murmurs. “She’s just so gorgeous.” She says as she stops in her tracks, nearly making Taeyong bump into her. “Oh, sorry. I just saw her entering the school grounds.”

Johnny rolls his eyes. “Are you gay or what?”

Seungwan shrugs. “Wouldn’t mind being gay if it’s for Seulgi.”

Taeyong follows Seungwan’s gaze and sees Seulgi walking towards the school with Wonwoo by her side. Her hair sways as she walks and she’s laughing at something Wonwoo says.

“She’s too pretty.” Taeyong murmurs.

“What?” Seungwan asks.

“I’m saying I’m sleepy.” Taeyong quickly says, but his eyes doesn’t leave Seulgi.

Seungwan seems to take the bait because she says, “Yeah, I’m sleepy too. And we have history. This .”

“Ugh, good thing I moved seat behind Jackson and Mark, those guys are tall and I can sleep behind them without getting noticed.” Johnny says, he continues walking, which forces the rest of them to catch up with him.

“Seriously though, Seulgi is not like anyone we’ve seen.” Seungwan says and Taeyong can’t help but to agree with her.

Because really, Taeyong has never met someone like her. So beautiful, so bright, so confident and so endearing. When Seulgi first enters the classroom, it’s like all the air in the classroom has been out and Taeyong choked.

She is unreal.

“Well, you haven’t met a lot of person, though.” Johnny says as he opens the classroom door for Seungwan and Taeyong. “I mean, Yeongsan is very small and the folk here are pretty homogenous. Seulgi’s the only one different so far, but who knows? Maybe when you get to Seoul, there’ll be a bunch of people like Seulgi.”

 

***

 

Author’s Note:

Chapter 3 is up yeee!!!
So bottom line, both Seulgi and Ten have a pretty ty family. Sighs.
Idk, but writing about how Seul or Ten has bad family makes me feel bad, I hope they’d never
experience what the Seulgi, Wonwoo and Ten experience in this story, though!
It’s nice to have a loving, supporting family so I hope they have that kind of family *sobs*
Anyway, nuff with the sob story! Today marks the end of weekend *cries* I’ll be returning to my dorm and idk… maybe I’ll be found dead under my pile of books ew.
Anyway, hope you guys had a nice weekend and hope next week will be great for all of us~