One.

Of Judgmental Stares, Fake Masks and Tender Hearts

Chapter 1: Judgemental

 

Ten has always thought his life, particularly during high school, will always be the same—same people, same routine, same drama, same dreams—and stays like that right until the very end. Well, living in a small town called Yeongsan on the outskirts of Busan, things barely change.

Yeongsan is small, quiet and peaceful. People knows each other and always knows what’s up—a thing that’s both blessing and a curse—some people from big cities may call this town boring, they’re not entirely wrong, but at least it’s easier to find calm and peace here, where the trees grow tall and strong and form big, enchanting forest rather than Seoul’s concrete jungle.

So, Ten thought his life would stay the same. He’d go to Yeongsang Public School, join the basketball team, hanging out with Johnny, Seungwan and Taeyong after school in the diner or venturing the forests after school.

Well, he was wrong and Ten learned not to predict the future, because even the most constant beat can always change.

Oh, yes, things changes when she came around.

Kang Seulgi.

The blonde-haired girl came—no, wait, scratch that.

The blonde-haired girl crashed into Yeongsan on Ten’s second year in high school and instantly became the talk of the town.

Kang Seulgi, daughter of Kang Seokwoo and Kim Taeyeon, the owner of a corporation called Kang & Jung Co. a very large and successful biotech company in Seoul. She has a twin brother named Kang Wonwoo. Apparently, Seulgi only moved here with her mother and brother.

Kang Seulgi, the girl with blonde hair that almost shines when the sunlight kisses her hair. The girl who walks as if she floats. The girl who adorns herself with expensive brand name items. The girl who catches everyone’s eyes and attention.

The girl who crashed into Ten’s small group of friends: Seo Johnny, Son Seungwan, Lee Taeyong, Ten Chittaphon Leechaiyakul. Four and should have always been four.

Ten doesn’t like her.

 

He tries to remember the first day of his second year.

 

***

 

Like every start of a new semester, the school was noisy, cramped and full of excitement from friends who didn’t see each other during the break. Ten rolled his eyes as he made his way to his locker, soon joined with Taeyong—who over the break seemed to have sold his soul, or future, or whatever the he did, to the God of Puberty—because he grew muscles and his appearance just changed from -1 to 100.

“You changed.” Ten noticed.

“Don’t fret about it, you know I’ve been helping my uncle with his stupid construction.” Taeyong replied, shaking his head.

“Yeah, but the girls certainly do not complain about that.” Ten replied dryly, noticing a few heated stares that were given directly for Taeyong.

“Shut up.” Taeyong fretted.

“Yeah, and Im Nayeon is going to come here and flirt with you and you’ll treat me at Jung’s coffee because I’m right.” Ten smirked.

Before Taeyong could react, Nayeon had already standing beside him, dramatically shutting Taeyong’s locker door so he could have a good look at her—which was stupid and unnecessary.

“Wow, Taeyong.” Nayeon greets, showing a set of pearly white teeth and Ten could tell she probably had done her hair in a famous hair salon during her trip to France on their school break. She bragged about it on Twitter. “I see puberty hit you like a truck. No wonder you became the talk of the town even before school starts. Everyone wants a piece of Lee Taeyong now.”

“Good to see you, too, Nayeon.”

Again, Nayeon smiles before making her way to her classroom, giving a wink at Taeyong in the process. Nayeon was the queen bee of the school. Her face was beautiful and angelic, her smile was bright and everyone fell for her cute bunny teeth, her family was filthy rich. Everyone adores her, everyone wants to be her friend, because being friends with Nayeon means sitting on the top of the food chain in Yeongsan. She’s the devil incarnate. Walking around the school as if she owned it—she might have, since she’s the richest one in Yeongsan. Nayeon was also the head of Yeongsan’s cheerleading squad, Yeongsan Wildcats. Bottom line, Nayeon was vicious, selfish and look down upon other kids who were not as popular as her. The queen of Yeongsan was often accompanied by her friends, Yoo Jungyeon and Hirai Momo.

“Snake.” Ten muttered. “And you owe me a lunch.”

“I did not agree to that.” Taeyong said. “Anyway, Seungwan’s here.”

A girl with dark brown hair walked towards them, her face was kind and they only look kinder with the warm smile on her lips. Seungwan was Taeyong’s childhood friends and they always share the same class. Seungwan was what you would call a goody-two shoes slash teacher's pet; straight A's, champion of music competition, good at sport and spent her holidays doing social services. Her house was in between Ten's house and Taeyong's house.

“Hey, guys.” Seungwan greeted, grinning from ear to ear. “I missed you two so much. How was your holiday?” she asked.

“It was fine.” Ten smiled.

“Tiring.” Taeyong replied.

A concerned look replaces Seungwan’s smile. “Oh? You were working on your uncle’s construction site, right? I hope you get enough rest before going to school.” she said, patting Taeyong’s shoulder fondly. "Plus, your tie is so messy." 

Taeyong shrugged but smiled as Seungwan reached on his tie to fix it. “I’m fine. Anyways, is Johnny going to be late on his first day of school? Where is he?” he asked, running his gaze through the sea of students.

“I don’t know, I haven’t seen him either.” Seungwan answered, balancing the book on her arms and straightened her uniform.  “Anyways, have you heard? There are new transfer students from Seoul and I’m supposed to give her a tour this recess so you guys go on ahead to the cafeteria later.”

Taeyong arched an eyebrow. “Umm… no? Who is this new student?”

“And you said students?” Ten added. “We haven’t been receiving transfer students since 2001. Funny someone would leave Seoul and choose to live here.”

Seungwan shrugged. “Don’t know, mom said she’s some wealthy kid from Seoul. I heard her gossiped on the phone and apparently the new kids were the child of Kang Seokwoo? I wonder why they moved here—I mean, like Ten said, this is Yeongsan we’re talking about. It’d make so much sense if they moved to I don’t know, the states?”

“The Kang Seokwoo? Owner and chairman of the Kang and Jung Co.? No way, the headquarter is in Seoul, that’s too far from here.” Ten objected as he, Taeyong and Seungwan started to make their way their classroom.

“Well, I don’t know. I mean, we’ll see them soon enough, right? They’re in our class.”

The more Ten listened to Seungwan’s story, the more he realized that there were more hype that day other than the first day of school. As he headed to class, he heard bits and snippets of people’s conversation and half of them had this new kid from Seoul in it.

They said the kids were twins and both of them had damn good looks. They said the twins moved here because of a scandal in Seoul. They said the twins were filthy rich and lived in Hwanggeum street, the richer side of Yeongsan—where Nayeon and her family also resided. They said the scandal was Kang Seokwoo was having an affair and kicked his wife, which the kids do not agree to and they followed her mother to Yeongsan.

“As expected of Yeongsan the mundane town, a tiny change shook everyone like the water ripple effect.” Ten said, opening the classroom door.

“You’re exaggerating.” Seungwan smiled as she put her books on her seat, right next to the window.

Taeyong and Ten picked the seat in front of her. It was always like that, Taeyong and Ten, Seungwan and Johnny. Their four seats were always on the back of the class next to the window. Ten and Seungwan would always be beside the window.

Before Ten could object, their homeroom teacher, Miss Hwang entered the classroom and students quickly took seat. Their conversation was put to a halt.

Tiffany, or Miss Hwang, was a 28 year old woman who graduated from a university in America. She had been a teacher in Yeongsan High since two years ago and she’s probably everyone’s favorite teacher. Ms. Hwang was bright, cheerful and kind and she’s generous with her scores, thus why the children loved her.

“Okay, class, the holiday was nice but seeing you kids again feel so much nicer!” the woman said, eyes disappearing into crescents as she smiled. “And of course as for today, I want to announce that there are two new students joining our school and our class. I hope you will be nice to them and treat them kindly, okay?”

A choruses of ‘yes’ echoed in the classroom and Ten and Taeyong exchanged glances. Ms. Hwang smiled again in satisfaction and a few moments later, there was a knocking on the door and she hurriedly opened it to reveal the school’s headmaster, Mr. Park.

Mr. Lee walked into class and Ten noticed two kids were trailing behind him. A boy and a girl, a set of twins. Blonde and black.

He could almost felt the awe and interest rising in the room. After all, the people who were standing in front of the class deserved the attention very well. The twins were… intriguing, captivating and they just draw people’s attention to them.

Ten noticed the girl first. How could he not? Her hair was very, very blonde—almost golden, nobody in this school had blonde hair, the lightest shade was light brown, but no blonde. The girl stood in front of the classroom with confidence. She’s small and petite but her proportions made her seem taller. Her face was small and her eyes resemble those of a fox’s, they were dark and enchanting and for a moment Ten was drawn into the black pool of her eyes. Her body was very skinny but toned and her legs were long. But Ten kept staring at her hair, then her eyes.

Then he noticed the boy, he was tall and built. Raven hair framed his face and his eyes were like fox’s eyes and they were so dark. His face was chiseled and his jaw was very, very prominent. A confident smile grazing his lips, his aura can compete with his sibling’s. Ten could sense his ego even from the back of the class. Both Wonwoo and Seulgi were wearing the same Yeongsan uniform but somehow, they managed to make the bland uniform look like it came straight out of Dolce&Gabbana. Probably because they adorned themselves in brand name items-such as Seulgi's Louis Vuitton's backpack and Wonwoo's Air Jordan sneakers.

“Good morning, students.” Park Jinyoung, the headmaster, said. “I am glad to inform you that there are new students joining our family as of today. They will be your new classmates now and I hope you will treat them kindly and welcome them into our new family.”

“You can introduce yourselves now.” Mr. Park said again, nodding to the twins.

The boy spoke first.

“Good morning,” he greeted and his voice was laced with confidence. “My name is Kang Wonwoo, please take care of me.” He said before giving the class a polite bow and the class replied with a chorus of “Hello, Kang Wonwoo.”

And then, it’s the girl’s turn. “Good morning, I’m Kang Seulgi and it’s a pleasure to be here. Please take care of me and my brother.” she said, offering a bright smile before bowing and again, the class replied with, “Hello, Kang Seulgi.”

Rich kids, he thought. Instantly, Ten could feel dislike growing inside him towards the newcomers. Seulgi and Wonwoo were the type of kids who grew up pampered and spoiled and have things handed to their hands without ever having to work for it. They probably think they can get anything as long as they have the money for it. Ten disliked those kind of people the most.

“Holy .” Ten could hear Jackson Wang, the kid who was sitting on his left, whispered. “She’s so ing beautiful.”

Ten snorted and Taeyong chuckled. Ten shifted his attention to his friend then, and of course, he should’ve noticed. There were four people standing in front of the class but Taeyong only looked at one. He was staring at Seulgi as if Seulgi was the human manifestation of Aphrodite.

Ten shook his head in disbelief.

“Seulgi, Wonwoo, I am Tiffany Hwang, or Ms. Hwang, your homeroom teacher.” Tiffany said, smiling at the kids. “Okay, so, Wonwoo, why don’t you take a seat beside Jackson and Seulgi, take a seat beside um…” Mr. Hwang trailed off before running her gaze through the class. “Beside Seungwan. Jackson and Seungwan, would you raise your hands?”

But Ten was the first to raise his hands. “Ms. Hwang, Johnny was supposed to be sitting next to Seungwan.” he said. He didn’t care if he sound impolite, it’s just the thought of Seulgi sitting close to him bothered him, even if he didn’t know why.

“That could easily be arranged, Ten, it’s just for the first period, okay?” Ms. Hwang smiled.

“Oh, if that seat was taken, I don’t think I should sit there, Ms. Hwang. Wouldn’t it be impolite?” Seulgi spoke, her tone was perfectly laced with a tinge of apology, uncertainty and hesitation.

Ten didn’t like it.

“That’s okay, Seulgi, I’m sure Johnny wouldn’t mind.” Ms. Hwang said instead.

Ten made sure not to form any sort of eyecontact with Seulgi as she made her way to Seungwan. A second later, he realized he didn’t need to, because Seulgi’s eyes were fixed on Taeyong and it didn’t took long for him to realize that Taeyong also had his eyes on Seulgi’s.

She walked past them and Ten could smell a whiff of citrus and flowers. ‘Her perfume is even stronger than a gasoline.’ Ten scoffed mentally.

Seungwan was nothing like him, though. The girl’s smile was so wide and bright when Seulgi sit beside her. “Hi, I’m Seungwan, Son Seungwan.” She said, “You’re going to love it here.”

Seulgi gave Seungwan a sweet smile. “That’s so sweet of you, thank you so much, Seungwan.”

Taeyong then turned his head around, more like his body, and met Seulgi’s eyes and Ten rolled his eyes before turning his head, too. Taeyong was smitten, he was sure of it.

“Hello, I’m Lee Taeyong and this is my friend—“

“Ten. I’m Ten.” Ten said, introducing himself cooly.

“Pleasure to meet you, Taeyong.” Seulgi said and her voice was almost a bit sweeter than when she was with Seungwan. “And… your name is Ten?” she asked, shifting her attention to Ten.

“Everyone has the same reactions.” Seungwan laughed.

“It’s Ten.”

Seulgi giggled and Ten decided he did not like the sound of her giggling. “Why Ten? Were your parents, like, infatuated with numbers or something?” she joked.

“I’m from Thailand.” Ten replied, “And I think it’s cool, at least I didn’t get mainstream name like Jaehyun or Jihyun. My name is unique.”

Seulgi gave him an amused smile. “Sure you do, number ten.”

 

***

 

“So this is the music room and right next to the music room was the dance room and—“ Seulgi barely paid any attention to what Seungwan said. She was bored. It’s not like the school was big, it was small and she sure wouldn’t get lost. Her school back in Seoul was much, much bigger and well decorated than this place.

Lucky Wonwoo, she thought, bailing on the school tour to take care of some school ‘documents’. He lied and Seulgi knew he probably went to hang out with the school jocks—Jackson or whatever his name was.

“—If you love to dance, you’re going to love Ms. Kwon, she’s our dance teacher and she’s so great and she opens a dancing club, so if you’re interested, you can contact her.” Seungwan said, finishing her elaborate explanation with a satisfied smile on her face.

“Mm, right, where’s the cafeteria?” Seulgi asked quickly.

“Oh,” Seungwan blinked. “Of course, you must be hungry, I’ll show you the cafeteria, then.”

Seulgi was about to thank her when a loud voice boomed on the hall, startling both of the girls.

“Yah! Son Seungwan!” a boy yelled, running towards them.

“Johnny!” Seungwan replied. “Where have you been? You literally missed the first period on your first day, dummy.” she scolded the new guy.

Johnny, like Taeyong, was Ten’s friend. He had light brown hair and pouty lips that Ten loved to mock, he’s one year older than the rest, he enrolled school late because of a sickness he got when he was a kid. Johnny was sarcastic and always the first to know any gossips and drama in the school.

“So you’re Kang Seulgi. I’m Seo Johnny.” Johnny grinned at Seulgi.

“Johnny? Did you come from abroad?” Seulgi replied, running her fingers through her blonde locks.

Johnny nodded. “Born in the US but moved to this quiet town.”

“You mean mundane?” Seulgi added, then realizing the stares both Johnny and Seungwan gave her. “It was a joke.”

“Said like a true Seoul folk.” Johnny laughed. “Anyway, you and your family had become the talk of the town.” he said as the three of them made their way to the cafeteria.

“Oh?”

“Yeah, people were wondering why South Korea’s elite family moved to a small town like Yeonsang. Plus, you only move here with your brother and mother, right? That also raised questions.”

Seulgi chuckled, “Damn, you guys are a bunch of curious folk, aren’t you?”

“Don’t think about it too much,” Seungwan comforted her. “It’s just how Yeongsan is, even the smallest changes shook this town.”

Seulgi gave Seungwan a smile but both Seungwan and Johnny certainly did not see the hard look on the girl’s face at the mention of her father.

 

***

 

By the time they reached the cafeteria, Ten and Taeyong had almost finished their lunch. Ten certainly did not miss how Seulgi seemed to outshine both Johnny and Seungwan. He took a note on how she walked; it’s as if she floated, as if the plain school ground was a runway and even then, she managed to make herself look so poised and graceful as she walked. Her golden locks swayed lazily each time she moved.

“School tour’s over? How come Wonwoo was hanging out with Jackson while you’re touring this school?” Taeyong asked with a smile as he helped Seulgi put her food down.

“He bailed on it of course.” Seulgi chuckled, winking at Taeyong, who almost blushed.

“Why? Was the tour boring for him?” Ten asked, arching an eyebrow.

Seulgi shrugged. “Who knows? Maybe he found talking to Jackie so much fun than school tour.” she said before eating her food.

“You mean Jackson.” Johnny corrected.

She laughed. “I’m sorry, I’m just… really, really bad with names.” she said, making an excuse for herself.

“Well,” Johnny said as he took a sip on his orange juice. “That’s fine by me so long as you don’t mix up my name as Jefferey.”

Seulgi laughed heartily before starting to eat. Even the way she ate was poised. Ten took a mental note of how neat and clean she ate. She’s not a slow eater, but she managed to be graceful while eating and laughing.

“So,” Taeyong said. “How was Yeonsang so far?”

The blonde smiled. “It was okay, totally different from Seoul, but okay.”

“You must’ve missed Seoul, huh?” Taeyong said again.

“Yeah.” Seulgi admitted. “But this is a nice change. This town’s not exactly my kind of town, though, but it’s alright, I can manage.”

A smile blooms in Taeyong’s lips. “Well, if someday you wanted to tour the town, you can tell me—you and Wonwoo, I mean. This town’s pretty small but there are a lot of comfy spots here that I know you’d love.”

Honey was dripping from Seulgi’s eyes. “Really? That’s so kind of you! I’d definitely tell Wonwoo. He’s been excited to explore this town since day 1.”

When two people who were mutually attracted to each other, they always radiate some sort of aura or something that made people around them knew what’s up, or just noticing that the attraction was there. Ten noticed it, Johnny noticed it and Seungwan noticed it, too. However, Ten was probably the only one who noticed the discomfort in Seungwan’s eyes.

Seulgi, the newcomer, the outsider, crashing into their group and already stealing Taeyong’s attention. It’s like a puzzle piece trying to fit itself into an already finished picture. There were no rooms for her here.

“Yeah? So what kind of town is ‘your kind of town’?” Taeyong asked, grinning as he propped his chin on his palm.

Seulgi laughed. “Busy city, filled with excitement and people, typical concrete jungle and always filled with adrenaline.”

Johnny shook his head. “Typical city gal.” he said.

“Couldn’t help it when it’s what I’ve been seeing since I was born.” Seulgi replied and Ten couldn’t believe how she always able to brag and flaunted herself through every little conversation.

“Oh, no. Please don’t tell me she’s heading here.” Seungwan suddenly said, capturing everyone’s attention.

Ten followed Seungwan’s gaze and it fell on a certain raven-haired girl and a contrasting pale skin. Im Nayeon strutted towards their table with an aura that almost matched Seulgi’s. A smile was perfectly placed on her lips as she greeted the group.

“Well, hello, guys!” she said excitedly, forcing herself to sit beside Seulgi, making the latter, Johnny and Seungwan sat huddled against each other and Johnny nearly spilled his apple juice.

“Hello, Nayeon.” Taeyong greeted back, “How kind of you to join us.”

“Oh, of course!” the queen replied, batting her eyelashes and feigning interest. She rested her right arm on the table as she turned to meet Seulgi in the eye. “After all, I, too, get curious of the infamous Kang Seulgi and her brother.”

Seulgi took a sip of her drink calmly. “So I’ve heard. You’ve talked to Wonwoo, then?” she said, also feigning interest.

“Not yet, he was with Jackson but I couldn’t find them. Anyway!” Nayeon said, pausing dramatically. “I just want to personally welcome you to Yeongsan and Yeongsan Public High School, I hope you’ll enjoy your stay here.”

Nayeon was no doubt the vixen of Yeongsan. A manipulative person who used all kinds of mask to get what she wanted. So many that even her friends didn’t know what kind of person Nayeon truly was. Ten thought she was the true deceiver of them all.

That is, until Seulgi came.

Whatever game Nayeon was playing, whatever mask she was wearing, Seulgi matched them all. Putting an interested façade, her choice of words were perfect, her laugh and facial expressions were perfectly timed, even voice were laced with sweetness and innocence—but Ten knows it wasn’t all. Ten realized then that Seulgi might have been a bigger vixen than Nayeon. That, or she’s just downright a snake.

“Thank you, Nayeon. I already feel welcomed here.” Seulgi smiled sweetly. “You are so kind, when you meet my brother later, I’m sure he’ll like you.”

Nayeon smiled then and Ten could almost feel the gears working in her head. “Oh, don’t mention it. I’m glad that you guys came, it felt like a fresh breeze of air for Yeongsan.  Anyway, I also wanted to tell you that I am the head cheerleader for this school’s cheerleading squad, Yeongsan Wildcats. We’re holding a tryout in three weeks, why don’t you come?”

Seulgi’s eyes widen. “For real? I’d love to! I mean, I was also the head cheerleader back in Seoul.” she said.

Ten could feel his amusement rising. Of course, Nayeon and Seulgi were the same. The blonde couldn’t hold back her desire to brag and Nayeon was competitive. He could almost predict the two would either be best friends—but that wouldn’t be fun. No, Seulgi and Nayeon wouldn’t be friends. They would be enemies, rivals, and they’d go head to head with each other for a long time trying to prove who’s better than who. A useless and petty competition.

As if to confirm his prediction, Nayeon’s smile faltered, but only for a bit before the raven-haired girl regained her composure and give Seulgi a saccharine smile. “Well, then. I’m sure you won’t have any difficulty during the tryouts right?”

“Wow, so cheerleading’s still a thing. I thought the mass had already moved to modern dancing and K-Pop idols.” Johnny chirped, butting into their conversation.

Seulgi burst out laughing while Nayeon gave him a glare. “I don’t think I asked for your opinion, Johnny.” she said.

Johnny shrugged as he chugged down on his burgers. “Free country.” He replied.

“Anyway,” Seulgi said before Nayeon could retort. “Can Seungwan do the tryouts too?” she asked out of the blue.

“Wait, what?” Seungwan, who mostly kept to herself, squeaked, almost spilled her orange juice at Seulgi’s question. “Where did that came from?”

Again, Nayeon smile faltered but when it appeared again, it’s even faker than the ones she used for Seulgi. “Of course, everyone’s welcome to the tryouts. Though, not everyone make the cut. We’ll just have to wait and see.” She said.

“That’s all I need to hear.” Seulgi replied nonchalantly. “You’ll be having that tryout with me, Seungwannie, don’t worry about it.”

Nayeon smiled, tilting her head to the side before standing up and leaving the table. “Well, that’s all I wanted to say. Also, Seulgi, make sure you follow my instagram, @QueenNayeon, I’ll followback. Toodles!” she said, giving them a wink before walking away.

“Um? Try outs? What the heck?” Seungwan immediately asked, panic written on her face.

“Oh, you don’t want to?”

“Well—I’d love to! But…” Seungwan muttered, teetering on her words, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

“Nayeon loved to pick on Seungwan, she loved to make her suffer ever since the first day of junior high school.” Johnny explained, patting Seungwan’s back softly. “Which was weird because Seungwan is so nice. But it’s quite funny actually, they’re like the typical queen bee versus the good nerdy gal you see in teen flicks.”

Seulgi arched an eyebrow. “Really? What happened?”

“Dunno, it just happened. Right, Wannie?” Taeyong joined in.

Seungwan’s eyes lit up at the nickname Taeyong gave him. “I—I don’t know. I mean, I really, really wanted to be a cheerleader… I just couldn’t really stand her—and she also said I didn’t have what it takes to be a cheerleader.”

Seulgi chew on her food, eyes looking at something far away. She’s thinking. Then, a smile bloomed on her lips. “Well, I still think you should go for the tryout. We should go together, I’ll protect you from Nayeon.”

 

***

 

Author's Note:

Hi! So this is the first chapter. Initially, this story was created to help me with my writer's block
So let's see how this will go.

Also, the first chapter is inspired by Riverdale, as so the quartet because I love this show.
Anyway! I hope you guys enjoyed this~