Chapter 4

Love Stricken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Kim Myung Hoon abruptly looked up from his laptop screen. A gust of wind swooshed past him and he felt the sudden need to call for help. He felt the presence of a second person in the vicinity, and he was not sure how far he should trust his intuition. 

 

The man discreetly slipped his hand inside his drawer and wrapped his fingers around the handgun he kept there. With the other hand, he kept on typing on his laptop while keeping his guard on.

 

It was almost midnight, and most of his employees had left the office. He was staying back to check on few important dealings made that day, and certainly did not expect any intruders.

 

In the blink of an eye, a hooded figure jumped in his office through the open window, shocking the life out of the old man. He professionally pulled out the handgun he had already kept ready and pointed it at the intruder. The masked stranger stood there unmoving.

 

"Who are you? And what is it that you want?" He asked, in his usual composed and authoritative voice.

 

The stranger pulled out an odd looking pistol from the pocket of his long overcoat. Tilting his head, the stranger pointed the Deringer pistol at the businessman. Without delay, he shot a bullet. Due to him being appalled at this attempt to murder, the old man's reflexes disappointed him. The bullet managed to knock the man by his shoulder,  and he fell down on the floor.

 

Hurried footsteps were heard, and the door to his office was flung open. The gunshot had attracted attention. 

 

In the while between him losing consciousness and staying awake, the loud confused voices of the security guards told him that the intruder had managed to escape without being seen, that it was only the warning, and that his life was in grave danger.

 

 

★~¤~¤~★

 

 

Sungjong watched her talk. He watched his friend quietly tell him about her day, subtly smiling at his replies, elegantly sipping on her coffee. 

 

In the short while they had spent being friends with each other, Sungjong had memorised how her plum lips were very cautious of the words they let out, how her hair only moved about so much to never block her vision, how she never slouched when reading or how she had the perfect table manners. Her actions looked too perfect for a normal girl, as if she was trained to keep everything in check. And he wondered, he wondered what lay beneath this perfect facade of Woollim's youngest and most potential asset, Kim MinYoung.

 

But she had still opened up enough to him. She had opened up just enough to the point where she could initiate a conversation between them. She had finally found someone to talk to, and she had realised how special Sungjong was.

 

His true motive to ever befriend MinYoung was to confess his romantic feelings he had for her. She was always a person he admired from afar, and he had decided to tell her that. But as time went by, he realised that MinYoung had embraced him as a friend, her only friend. And that's when he decided against the exposure of his feelings. He was ready to let his confession go unspoken if it could affect their friendship negatively otherwise. 

 

"Sungjong, have you ever dated?" MinYoung asked, sounding equally curios and serene.

 

"Of course I have! What kind of a question is that?" Sungjong replied laughing, baffled at her question. 

 

"I never had a boyfriend before," She confessed.

 

"Yeah, keep joking! RiAn noona was said to be the girl who had more boyfriends in this university than stars in the sky, and TaeMi noona actually found the man of her dreams in this university. And you, being their sister, tell me you never dated before? Huh!" He scoffed.

 

"I am telling the truth though," MinYoung said, pouting a little.

 

Sungjong's smile disappeared, as he put on a horrified expression, "You didn't?! How come?!" 

 

MinYoung only shrugged, smiling, "Tell me, how does it feel when you are in love?"

 

"It... it feels amazing," Sungjong said, remembering everything he ever felt towards MinYoung. "It feels like the person you love is the most beautiful person ever. As if nothing in this world is as important as them, you are struck by this unexplainable, yet dangerously strong and sweet feeling. And you know you are in love."

 

MinYoung sat there, looking thoughtful.

 

"It's a little hard to understand if you haven't ever felt it. Imagine having to describe the taste of coffee when you never tasted it, it's going to be hard. Likewise, you will only know the feeling of love once you have felt it."

 

"How do I know if I have felt it or not?" MinYoung asked, genuinely confused.

 

"Um..." Sungjong scratched his head, puzzled. "Have you ever felt your heart race faster than usual for someone?"

 

"Yes," She nodded.

 

"Uh... have you? Who is that lucky guy, then?" Sungjong asked, slightly taken aback. He did not want to have his heart broken at whatever awaited. Despite his decision to not let his romantic feelings get in the way of their friendship, he could not erase his feelings for her. His heart still reacted abnormally to the smallest of her actions, and he was still attracted to her. Even more than before.

 

"BTS's Jin," She replied innocently. She watched the drastic change on Sungjong's expression, as the guy flattened his eyes in irritation. 

 

"Ahhhh! I am going crazy!" Sungjong lightly screamed in frustration. "How can your heart flutter for some random idol?"

 

"He is not some random idol..." MinYoung replied defensively, pouting.

 

"Oh? Have you ever met him before?" Sungjong challenged, folding his arms over his chest.

 

"Yes. I have been to their concert before. AND I have met him at numerous events. Remember my family owns an entertainment company?" MinYoung replied, slightly agitated.

 

"Wow... the lady Kim MinYoung has been to a KPop concert before? That's news..." Sungjong replied. 

MinYoung was silent for a while. Something in Sungjong's tone of describing her caught her off-guard, and she was unwilling to stretch this conversation any further.

 

"But loving an idol is very different from loving a guy you personally know and like."

 

"What's wrong?" Sungjong asked after a while, noticing her abrupt silence.

 

"Nothing. I'll leave first," She said, standing up.

 

"Okay," He replied. "See you tomorrow."

 

"See ya. Bye."

 

What Sungjong had described was a feeling MinYoung had already felt. Someone she knew and liked did make her heart bark, make her feel like that person is the most important person to her in this world. As if she is struck by this exact unexplainable yet sweet feeling Sungjong was talking about. 

 

 

★~¤~¤~★

 

 

"How are you doing, sis?" TaeMi posed the question as she plopped herself down on the seat opposite to RiAn.

 

The younger girl rolled her eyes, bored, "Gosh, I'm getting tired! Why do people keep asking me the same question? I am doing as great as the angels in heaven, okay?"

 

TaeMi slightly pouted, "Alright, don't be so mad. But tell me, is anything bothering you? Anything I can help with?"

 

It has only been a month or two of RiAn's marriage. Which newlywed acts as grumpy as her? TaeMi remembers herself being all giddy up till at least six months of marriage.

 

"No," RiAn said, staring out of the café. TaeMi had asked her to meet up and have a sisterly talk, and as much as she was unwilling, she loved her second eldest sister a lot. 

 

"Why? Is Sungyeol not treating you well?" TaeMi asked, genuinely concerned.

 

"He is. In fact, he is treating me too well. So much that he shouldn't," RiAn bluntly said, not realising her words sounded wrong. "Maybe then I could end up like you and not Soohyun eonnie."

 

"RiAn? What are you saying? Are you okay? I thought Sungyeol is a nice guy! Are you not happy with him?" TaeMi panicked.

 

RiAn momentarily looked flustered as she realised what she had said. She mentally slapped herself for being so careless and quickly racked her brain for excuses. She quickly faked a laughter, reassuring her cousin sister, "Oh relax, eonnie! I don't even mean anything! He is a nice guy and I'll be very happy with him!"

 

"Oh...You scared me! Brat!" TaeMi smiled at her sister, pushing the negative thoughts to the back of her mind.

 

RiAn returned the favour as she once again understood what Hoya always meant when he described TaeMi as 'different'. Indeed, her second eldest sister was different. She was genuine, caring and sweet, and probably the only source of warmth in their family.

 

"Make sure you and Sungyeol are not late today, alright?"

 

"Late for what?" RiAn asked, pulled out of her thoughts.

 

"Aish, this girl! Don't you remember SungYeon auntie has invited us over for dinner tonight?" TaeMi asked, mildly irritated at her sister's forgetfulness.

 

"Has that witch now..." RiAn mumbled under her breath.

 

"What did you say?"

 

"That's really nice of her," RiAn said, smiling like the lady she was taught to be.

 

"Indeed, it is," TaeMi said, flashing a genuine smile at her younger sister.

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter