Part 5

A Phoenix Cry

Changkyun watches Kihyun carefully throughout the day, as if waiting for something. Though, he doesn't really know what. The older had just acted so oddly that morning, and had looked so, well, so awful. Changkyun can't help but worry for his hyung.

However, as the day passes, he acts normally around everyone. He doesn't speak of what happened, and Changkyun doesn't feel as if he should bring it up. No one seems to notice anything amiss with the older, not even Hyunwoo, so the maknae is left wondering if it isn't just him being paranoid.

 

Kihyun is relieved when Changkyun doesn't bring up the night’s events the next day. If he were to say something around Hyunwoo, their leader would get incredibly worried. Kihyun doesn't want to add any more stress to the others’ minds right now. They're all anxious enough just trying to get first place for their Monbebe, especially with Hoseok's cold refusing to leave. They have more than enough on their plates. Kihyun doesn't need to pile on anymore.

He's still not quite sure what it is he's even going through. At first he feared it was the process beginning, but the dream from last night isn't like one he's ever experience before.

 

They get back to the dorm at a decent hour, for once. Kihyun sighs, staring at the recently-released cell phone in his hands. He's glad he doesn't have to ask the managers anymore to borrow a phone just to call home, especially now that the conversation he's to have with his mother is so private. He needs to ask his mom if this kind of thing ever happened to his dad, if these kinds of dreams just came with being human. He'd ask his dad himself, but the man had gone through the process shortly after Kihyun's birth, leaving all the explanations to his mother who had only experienced everything second-hand.

He sighs once more, hoping his question doesn't bring up too many bad memories. It's always been hard for his mom to speak of his father, which admittedly could be why Kihyun is so clueless now. He had never wanted to give his mother any cause for distress. However, now it's become necessary. He presses his mother’s contact, pressing the phone to his ears. He's thankful everyone was so worn out from the day, and had gone to bed almost an hour ago. He'd hate to have to speak in euphemisms around them when discussing this.

“Kihyun-ah!” his mother’s cheerful voice immediately answers. The sound brings a smile to his face, glad to know that he hadn't woken her up.

“Hi, Eomma,” he says. He can sense her shift in mood at hearing his defeated tone, turning from sunny to serious in under two seconds.

“What's wrong, Kihyunnie?” she asks. “Are you eating well? Are you overworking yourself?” Kihyun can't help but chuckle at her typical concern, though feels this time it may be warranted.

“It's nothing like that,” he tells her softly.

“But there is something.” He pauses, in a breath through his teeth. Just how is he supposed to bring this up gently?

“I,” he says, patting his lips. “I was just wondering… about Appa. I was curious about what his process was like.” There’s a pause on the other line, and Kihyun can almost hear her heart beat quickening with worry.

“Has it started?” she asks him, her voice slightly shaking. She then sighs, adding, “Of course it has. You wouldn't be asking if it hasn’t.”

“I've been having some weird dreams,” he says after some hesitation. He really doesn't want to worry his mother, but he needs answers. So, he goes on, explaining the fiery dreams of death and mayhem that had begun haunting him on-and-off recently. He feels guilty for doing so, especially since this is the first time he's had time to call her for about a month. But, she listens intently, as only a mother can, and doesn't speak until it's clear he's finished.

“You should come home, Kihyunnie,” she tells him gently. “I… I don't mean to worsen your fears, but this sounds like it's beginning. Your father warned me about certain signs that'd pop up once the time came, and from what you've told me it sounds like these are what he described.”

“But I can't just pick up and leave,” Kihyun sighs. “I have a career now, I have someone, a lot of people, counting on me. I can't abandon them.”

His mother is silent for a long time, as if to choose her words carefully. He can't believe he'd ever been dumb enough to even allow himself to dream of becoming an idol, given his condition. He should've just stayed back in his hometown, worked at a little shop, and lived a quiet life until his time came. But, no. He had to move to Seoul, he had to become a trainee… he had to fall in love.

“Come home as soon as you can, Kihyunnie,” his mother finally says. “I know there's no talking sense into you about this, so I'll leave it be for now. Just be sure to come home the minute you can.”

“Of course, Eomma,” he agrees, nodding thankfully at not having to argue with her. “My next free day I'll head over, and we can figure this out.”

“Your father told me of a drink that could possibly help prolong the process,” she sighs. “I'll gather the necessary ingredients, and keep them on hand for when you can visit. Hopefully that'll buy you some time.” She pauses hesitantly before adding, “I remember you mentioning that someone else at your company isn't quite… the same as others. Perhaps they could point you towards a cure, if there is one. It's a long shot, Kihyun-ah, because your father had never heard of one. But, perhaps, they've heard of something he didn't.”

“I'll ask,” Kihyun murmurs thoughtfully. He's not quite sure if it's such a good idea, but will try anyway. Anything is worth a shot, at this point.

“Good,” the woman says, as if that ends the conversation. “Keep me posted on when you'll be coming this way, and I'll have a big plate of gimbap ready for you.”

“Thank you, Eomma,” Kihyun chuckles, the lighthearted offer warming his heart. “I love you.”

“I love you, too, my precious son,” she replies. “Please take care of yourself, especially now. It may help hold off the process.” Kihyun hums in acknowledgment, tells her that he will, and ends the call.

He doesn't particularly feel better about the situation now, but at least there's possible solutions.

“Everything okay, Kihyunnie?” Hyunwoo’s voice suddenly asks, causing the younger to jump in surprise. Kihyun whirls around to find Hyunwoo standing behind him, staring at him with concern. Kihyun's mind immediately starts to panic, wondering just how much the older had heard.

“Of course,” Kihyun answers, standing from his spot and closing the distance between them to kiss his cheek. “I just had to call and check up on my mother, is all.”

“I should do that soon,” Hyunwoo mumbles thoughtfully, dropping his face to his feet. Kihyun chuckles at the easy shift in topic, finding it incredibly endearing, and pats his arm. His hand lingers on the skin, unconsciously squeezing the squishy muscle for solace. Hyunwoo grasps the younger’s fingers upon taking notice of the movement, and kisses them.

“Come on,” Kihyun chuckles, smiling brightly at the action, “we should get some sleep.”

“Yaja,” Hyunwoo mumbles after him, pulling him close, “I'm hungry. Could we get something to eat first?” Kihyun hums, having to hold back an adoring laugh before he nods his answer. He then leads the older to the kitchen, and prepares a night snack for them.